PDA

View Full Version : Texas - Oklahoma

vick
02-27-2013, 11:16 PM
Anyone else watching this? Texas came back from down 67-45 with 7:38 to play to tie it on a buzzer beater (just went to overtime). One of the craziest games I've ever seen.

Bluedog
02-27-2013, 11:20 PM
Anyone else watching this? Texas came back from down 68-45 with 7:38 to play to tie it on a buzzer beater (just went to overtime). One of the craziest games I've ever seen.

Yep, pretty crazy. Lots of good college basketball action tonight!

vick
02-27-2013, 11:25 PM
Yep, pretty crazy. Lots of good college basketball action tonight!

Kabongo seems like he's a heck of a talent, wish he could have played the whole season.

cptnflash
02-27-2013, 11:33 PM
The moral of this story... it is NEVER a good idea to mock your opponent. It didn't end well for West Virginia in 2010, it didn't end well for Oklahoma tonight, and it won't end well for Miami on Saturday. No matter how good you feel... just don't do it.

uh_no
02-27-2013, 11:39 PM
The moral of this story... it is NEVER a good idea to mock your opponent. It didn't end well for West Virginia in 2010, it didn't end well for Oklahoma tonight, and it won't end well for Miami on Saturday. No matter how good you feel... just don't do it.

west virginia mocked us?

ChicagoCrazy84
02-27-2013, 11:42 PM

Stephen Bardo commented about that. I saw the highlight of the "horns down" sign, but didn't see it live. How much time was left when he did it? I turned it off when it was 59-41 and I think 12 minutes to go.

In the end, a brutal brutal loss for OU. I didn't realize their RPI was so high, but if they get snubbed, they'll have no one to blame but themselves.

vick
02-27-2013, 11:44 PM
This game is also a textbook example of why "stallball" makes sense, even if it's not pleasant to watch your 22 point lead dwindle down. OU's possessions during the run that cut it from 22 to 7 with 3:45 to play, according to ESPN (http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/playbyplay?gameId=330580251):

Missed three pointer (9 seconds in), offensive rebound but turnover in three seconds
Missed three pointer (20 seconds in)
Turnover (15 seconds)
Turnover (3 seconds)
Missed three pointer (13 seconds)
Missed jumper (24 seconds)
Turnover (7 seconds)
Missed three pointer (15 seconds), though they did score on an offensive rebound (but only taking off 6 seconds)
Turnover (5 seconds)

And by that point you're back in a competitive game. The press offense was bad, but if they take more time on their possessions, it probably wouldn't have mattered.

cptnflash
02-27-2013, 11:45 PM
west virginia mocked us?

Yes, in the 2008 NCAA tournament. And they got their comeuppance two years later when Jordan Davidson (walk on) rained a 3 on their sorry butts to turn an 18 point final four blowout into a 21 point final four blowout.

Mocking your opponent: Just. Don't. Do it. <Nike Swoosh>

subzero02
02-27-2013, 11:45 PM
After they beat us in the 2008 tournament, West Va. made some comments about our players being over rated... One player singled out Greg Paulus and made a comment that he was shocked that that Greg was a Mcdonald's all american.

ChicagoCrazy84
02-27-2013, 11:54 PM
After they beat us in the 2008 tournament, West Va. made some comments about our players being over rated... One player singled out Greg Paulus and made a comment that he was shocked that that Greg was a Mcdonald's all american.

Wow, I remember the loss obviously, but I don't remember those comments.

A-Tex Devil
02-28-2013, 08:54 AM
I was supposed to go last night. Life got in the way, and I couldn't make it. For a while I was glad I missed it. But damn.

Kabongo is as good as anyone in the last several years getting to the lane (think Kyrie good), and if his shot his falling, he is dangerous. He still doesn't really make those around him better, though, like good point guards do. Think Sebastian Telfair. I think he is gone because of how the NCAA jerked him around all year and the generally weaker draft, but if he stays and Texas picks up Randle, the 'Horns all of the sudden become a very good team next year.

sagegrouse
02-28-2013, 09:11 AM

Wow, I remember the loss obviously, but I don't remember those comments.

After the game, as I recall, one writer asked a WVa player, "How does it feel to beat a team with eight McDonald's All-Americans?"

Reply: "Was he [Paulus] one?"

"Yes."

"You gotta be kidding!"

Eight McD's? I couldn't believe it, but here: Taylor King, Nolan, Kyle, Scheyer, Lance, Paulus, DeMarcus, Gerald. Coulda been ten: McBob and Boateng were no longer at Duke.

Some disappointments, yes, but four of those guys won an NCAA Championship.

sagegrouse