PDA

View Full Version : Mike Tirico

hurleyfor3
02-27-2013, 03:16 PM
Please tell me I'm not the only one who appreciates hearing him do college games. Just a consummate pro, an announcer's announcer.

throatybeard
02-27-2013, 03:21 PM
Please tell me I'm not the only one who appreciates hearing him do college games. Just a consummate pro, an announcer's announcer.

I like him for golf.

roywhite
02-27-2013, 03:27 PM

yeah, he's good, one of the best play-by-play guys, and does it for multiple sports

About my only criticism is that he's a Michigan guy, and the maize and blue comes out a bit much sometimes....not a big deal.

hurleyfor3
02-27-2013, 03:32 PM
About my only criticism is that he's a Michigan guy, and the maize and blue comes out a bit much sometimes....not a big deal.

Haven't noticed that as much as Dick Enberg for Indiana, Clark Kellogg for the B1G in general, or any unc person for unc. But I'll pay better attention.

AceDukie77
02-27-2013, 03:57 PM
Roy,

Tirico is a Syracuse grad along with just about every other commentator and he bleeds Orange and Blue....

Henderson
02-27-2013, 04:23 PM
I like his commentary too, but didn't he have a little problem sexually harassing women? Suspended by ESPN for groping and soliciting? Kind of turns me off him. A sportswriter friend of mine in a position to know says is was much worse than reported.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Tirico

And yes, he still lives in Ann Arbor.

roywhite
02-27-2013, 05:45 PM
Roy,

Tirico is a Syracuse grad along with just about every other commentator and he bleeds Orange and Blue....

I like his commentary too, but didn't he have a little problem sexually harassing women? Suspended by ESPN for groping and soliciting? Kind of turns me off him. A sportswriter friend of mine in a position to know says is was much worse than reported.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Tirico

And yes, he still lives in Ann Arbor.

Oops, my bad, not a Michigan grad, but does live there.

On Syracuse grads, yeah, they do seem very numerous in broadcasting and sports journalism, and especially at the Worldwide Leader.
Just my opinion, but I think Boeheim gets somewhat gentle treatment because of the Syracuse media connection.

CDu
02-27-2013, 06:00 PM
I do enjoy that Tirico isn't afraid to voice his disagreement with the color commentators. I hate it when the play-by-play guy just serves as a "yes man" even when the color guy is full of it. Tirico has repeatedly called color guys onto the carpet when they say something stupid. That makes me happy.

I don't know anything about him personally, but as a play-by-play guy I think he's one of the best.

SilkyJ
02-27-2013, 06:07 PM
I do enjoy that Tirico isn't afraid to voice his disagreement with the color commentators. I hate it when the play-by-play guy just serves as a "yes man" even when the color guy is full of it. Tirico has repeatedly called color guys onto the carpet when they say something stupid. That makes me happy.

Agreed on this point. About the only guy I hear do it regularly and with conviction...sometimes to the point of making it awkward. I love it.

roywhite
02-27-2013, 07:12 PM
Agreed on this point. About the only guy I hear do it regularly and with conviction...sometimes to the point of making it awkward. I love it.

Speaking of guys we'd like to hear from regularly and with conviction....nice to see you here, Silky. Hope you can stop by more often down the stretch of this season.

CoachJ10
02-27-2013, 07:34 PM
I lost a lot of respect for Tirico with his amateurish and unprofessional behavior toward the replacement refs while he was doing the Monday Night Football games this past season.

I am a Packer fan, so I have no love-loss for the replacement refs that were used to start the season. But the zealousness and condescending nature in which Tirico insulted and degraded them, really turned me off to him.

weezie
02-27-2013, 07:42 PM
I think Tirico is wonderful. Such a relief to hear someone who isn't enraptured by his own voice and who gives the game time to develop.

And, he's a Detroit Tigers fan and makes no bones about it.

cptnflash
02-27-2013, 08:46 PM
Tirico is great, as are many of ESPN's play-by-play guys. It's the "analysts" that often leave much to be desired, at least in my book. But those guys are mostly ex-jocks, so I guess that makes sense.

ElSid
02-27-2013, 09:36 PM
The best and most underrated announcer is Doris Burke. She has the most interesting and correct observations. She knows basketball so well. She recognizes the little stuff about each player, which I would expect only people that watch every single game to notice.

I like Tirico fine.

Danke Shane
02-27-2013, 09:41 PM
The best and most underrated announcer is Doris Burke. She has the most interesting and correct observations. She knows basketball so well. She recognizes the little stuff about each player, which I would expect only people that watch every single game to notice.

I like Tirico fine.

Correct observations, except when she applauded the Maryland student section for displaying their spirited vitriol when Duke came into town... give me a break, Doris.

burnspbesq
02-27-2013, 09:42 PM

This is some high-quality snark. At least, I think it's snark.

It is snark, right?

CDu
02-27-2013, 09:55 PM

I like Tirico fine.

Doris is a color commentator. Tirico is a play-by-play guy. Apples and oranges.

devilirium
02-28-2013, 01:23 AM
I have no love for Doris Burke--although she can turn in a good performance particularly with regard to the NBA. She's not the worst analyst, but she has a habit of calling out Duke on every 50/50 foul or uses that "Mister" accolade a little too often. And like most of the ESPN analysts ( save Dakich and Franschilla), she never really breaks down the game or it's nuances--whereas Franchilla may point out a popular offensive set ( America's Play or the UCLA cut) within the flow of the game. She's content with phrases like " he runs off a screen with intent".