PDA

View Full Version : Visiting the Smith Center for Duke vs UNC

porsche5k
02-26-2013, 11:48 AM
Anyone have any experience visiting the Smith Center for a Duke/UNC game? I'm looking at the highest seats and I was wondering if I'll be able to watch the game in a little peace in my Duke jersey. I've been to a few yankees/red sox games and sometimes you see some ugly things with fans getting harassed (by both parties). Thanks and go duke!

davekay1971
02-26-2013, 11:52 AM
Anyone have any experience visiting the Smith Center for a Duke/UNC game? I'm looking at the highest seats and I was wondering if I'll be able to watch the game in a little peace in my Duke jersey. I've been to a few yankees/red sox games and sometimes you see some ugly things with fans getting harassed (by both parties). Thanks and go duke!

There's not much of a tradition of ugly behavior from the UNC fans (although it's always possible to have a lout or three acting like jerks on any given night). Just don't sit where Roy can see you, and, whatever you do, don't shout anything offensive like, "Miss it, James Michael!" They don't tolerate that kind of behavior at the Temple of Dean.

I doubt you'll get much chance to watch the game "in peace", of course. Expect to be heckled, particularly if the Heels are contending to win the game. But you should be safe enough getting in and out of there. Worst case scenario - you might get chardonnay spilled on you. As long as it's not a merlot...that'd stain your shirt.

OldPhiKap
02-26-2013, 12:11 PM
There's not much of a tradition of ugly behavior from the UNC fans (although it's always possible to have a lout or three acting like jerks on any given night). Just don't sit where Roy can see you, and, whatever you do, don't shout anything offensive like, "Miss it, James Michael!" They don't tolerate that kind of behavior at the Temple of Dean.

I doubt you'll get much chance to watch the game "in peace", of course. Expect to be heckled, particularly if the Heels are contending to win the game. But you should be safe enough getting in and out of there. Worst case scenario - you might get chardonnay spilled on you. As long as it's not a merlot...that'd stain your shirt.

I will say, though -- if you start giving it out, expect to get it back in spades.

Which is fair.

oldnavy
02-26-2013, 01:19 PM
DUDE, DON'T GO!!!

Sell your ticket to some UNC dope and find a nice sports bar to watch the game from.

That ugly UNC blue is everywhere in that place and you will feel sick for weeks afterwards as it slowly seeps out of your system, not to mention the reoccurring nightmares that you will have.

You will wake up in the middle of the night dreaming that little blue haired lady's wearing ugly blue knitted sweaters are clawing at you and chanting TAAAARRRRR.... HEEEEEELs in a low monosyllabic tone. Trust me it is an awful experience to be avoided at all costs.

BlueDster
02-26-2013, 02:13 PM
I went to the game at the Dean Dome in 2008 (when we won with Lawson not playing). I was with two other Duke friends, and we were in the upper bowl. The vast majority of those surrounding us were older UNC fans (we were undergrads at the time), and we didn't get much of a hard time other than a few tsks. In fact, there was more ire drawn by a UNC undergrad who was somehow alone in our section that seemed to prefer to stand up when those behind him wanted to sit. Before and after the game we wore jackets over our Duke gear to avoid trouble and didn't have any problems. That being said, oldnavy is right that the Carolina blue all over the place is particularly nauseating. It's like attending a baby shower gone horribly, horribly wrong.

#1Duke
02-26-2013, 02:57 PM

LOL!! It's not as bad as Cameron. You'll be fine and won't have any problems unless you want to stir things up.
I've been to more than a few games there in the last 15 years and I personally have yet to see an opposing teams fan heckled or harassed. Not saying it never happened just that I haven't personally witnessed it. I never had a problem.
Go and have fun and cheer us on.

brevity
02-26-2013, 03:08 PM

I understand the need for concern. Just bring some wine and cheese and you'll be fine.

Lar77
02-26-2013, 03:15 PM

I understand it takes the merlot right out.

Remember, Roy had a Prebyterian fan removed

Philsfan
02-26-2013, 03:21 PM
i went to the game solo in 2011 and sat in the corner of the upper level across from Duke's bench. Got some stares and dirty looks from the guys next to me. But no issues
or heckling. Did get some nice high-fives from other Duke fans in the concourse. Then the game started..ugh.

killerleft
02-26-2013, 04:35 PM
I've been to three Duke-UNC games at the Dome (all Duke wins!), but it has been close to 20 years ago. I cheered politely for Duke and didn't really interact with any Tar Heel fans once the game started. I kept a low profile. I enjoyed the atmosphere, and Duke-UNC games are not wine-and-cheesy at all.

As long as you can handle them moaning about every call, no matter how obvious it is that their guy is at fault, you should be fine. You'll come away with the feeling that they're just like us, except for them being a little less in every good sense, and a little more in every bad sense.;) Even more seriously, being in a hostile environment with the hideous light blue overshadowing all that's beautiful in the world will only make you stronger.

A caution: If you have an 'A' type personality, and aren't used to being amongst the enemy in their natural habitat, you can quickly find yourself in an uncomfortable situation. Take your inner Gandhi with you.

Lar77
02-26-2013, 04:58 PM
I've been to three Duke-UNC games at the Dome (all Duke wins!), but it has been close to 20 years ago. I cheered politely for Duke and didn't really interact with any Tar Heel fans once the game started. I kept a low profile. I enjoyed the atmosphere, and Duke-UNC games are not wine-and-cheesy at all.

As long as you can handle them moaning about every call, no matter how obvious it is that their guy is at fault, you should be fine. You'll come away with the feeling that they're just like us, except for them being a little less in every good sense, and a little more in every bad sense.;) Even more seriously, being in a hostile environment with the hideous light blue overshadowing all that's beautiful in the world will only make you stronger.

A caution: If you have an 'A' type personality, and aren't used to being amongst the enemy in their natural habitat, you can quickly find yourself in an uncomfortable situation. Take your inner Gandhi with you.

CH gets very quiet if their team is more than 1 or 2 baskets down and very loud if they go up by more than 1 basket.

Daniel Ewing will get called for a foul (probably a technical).

Getting out after a game takes forever.

throatybeard
02-26-2013, 05:12 PM

Take a bodyguard. Mine was Mulletman.

DownEastDevil
02-26-2013, 06:50 PM
I was there with a buddy in 2004 when Duhon won the game with a few seconds to go. We both were wearing our Duke gear and were called several different types of animals while going into the game. Once we got to our seats we were sitting with the older wine and cheese folks so it wasn't to bad. When we stood up to cheer we were heckled some but that was expected. When we were leaving, everybody was avoiding us like the plague. I don't think they were in the mood to talk anymore. The most hilarious thing was when we were trying to find somewhere to park, I turned around in an ally and a homeless guy jumped out and gave me the finger. I don't think he liked my Duke flags and plate.

DukeDevilDeb
02-26-2013, 07:23 PM

I've been to the Dean Dome once to see a game... and believe me, once was enough. No matter how much posters on this board tell you that it is overwhelmingly Carolina blue, you cannot believe it until you see it! Take a pair of sun glasses with you... at least that will darken the blue and make it less nauseating!

And whatever you do, don't go into the mens/womens room with the expectation that you can escape the Carolina blue there... I was so dizzy and disoriented that I almost couldn't find my way back to my seat...

Whew! I agree... sell them off for a bunch of money and go to a sports bar.... From my mouth to your ears! ;)

Lauderdevil
02-26-2013, 07:38 PM
I'd like to think (and I do think) that someone rooting for their team, against Duke, at Cameron would not have to fear for his or her safety. They might get some wisecracks, but I'd hate to think anyone would feel physically threatened coming to Cameron. I think that's the case at the Dean Dome too -- which is one reason why they are respectable rivals, and one of many reasons why Maryland was never our rival.

Durham Thunder
02-26-2013, 10:53 PM
The worst part about it will be parking...it's a notorious, hilly walk to the nearest GA parking lot. I think you can buy a rams head pass for $50, being the last game if you want it.

bedeviled
02-26-2013, 11:17 PM
I’ve been to lots of games in the Dean Dome the past few years, and see kids, adolescents, and young adults with Duke gear fairly routinely, no matter who the opponent is. I’ve never worn Duke stuff to a UNC vs Duke game in Chapel Hill, out of respect for those people giving me tickets. Nonetheless, I’ve cheered for Duke and seen other people decked out, but have never witnessed anything other than good fun…as long as you are friendly and having fun. There are rare crass comments from the salt-of-the-earth fans, but nothing aggressive. The elder fans aren’t mean at all. I can’t truly speak on the undergraduates’ attitude as I’ve only sat by them once, but I don’t recall seeing any untoward behavior from them at any games...including NCSU games where there can be as much vocal red as light blue.

Lar77 is right when he/she states that the fans get really loud (and biased and SUPER-irritating from our perspective) if UNC is on a run - so, you need to be prepared for that. Contrary to popular belief, there is a spirited atmosphere there. They actually do have crowd cheers other than “Tar----Heels” (and their fans actually know their fight songs). They really get geared up during Jumbo-tron segments when past stars declare, “I’m so-and-so, and I’m a Tarheel.” It’s impressive marketing, but is sure to annoy Duke fans.

Anyway, I would advise getting a lower seat if you can - it will be a lot more enjoyable. The Dean Dome is large, and the games are much better if you aren’t in the rafters. I don’t think there is any need to fear stuff being thrown from above if you sit lower….unless you are, um, welcoming it with your own behavior.

weezie
02-26-2013, 11:29 PM
It's not the worst place to be a Duke fan. As my brethren above said, some ribbing but not the prospect of bodily harm and spitting that exists in Soup College Park.
But, wear dark glasses with strong protective lens so your eyes don't instantly start bleeding from the uuuurgy blue color. :cool:

Oh and try to stay awake during that taaarrr......heeeeeeeeels cheer. It's the only one they know.

DU82
02-27-2013, 07:06 AM
I've been to ten of the twelve current ACC schools for games. (missing Miami and BC.)

By far, the safest places for visiting fans are Duke and UNC. At the DESSAC in Chapel Hill, the color's is bad, but I've never had a problem. The ushers actually do their job correctly, and don't let things get out of hand (unlike,say, Maryland or VT.). I'll say that I do not act rudely to my hosts, trying to act appropriately as a guest. (cheering for do, but not yelling things at the unwashed masses in light blue.)

Maryland's the only place where I did not feel safe wearing a Duke shirt during a men's bball game. (I have for football and women's bball and didn't have a problem.)

superdave
02-27-2013, 07:47 AM
I've been to 6 Duke-Unc games at the Dean Dome. Never had an issue. You used to be able scalp student tickets but cant anymore because it takes ID to get in with those now. The student section, particularly the seats right behind the basket, would be the only ones where someone might dump a drink on your head. Otherwise Carolina fans have to remind themselves how to cheer once a year.

Please do be mindful of the dress code in the good seats: sweater vests.

MulletMan
02-27-2013, 09:15 AM
Take a bodyguard. Mine was Mulletman.

That was classic. Right at tip I took off my "disguise" shirt to reveal my Duke blue Go toHell Carolina shirt. No one said anything to us minus the immediate sighs when the colors were revealed.

And let's be honest... Our body guard was Andre Buckner.

CLT Devil
02-27-2013, 10:50 AM
I guess I'm the only one who had a 'bad' experience at the Nose Dome. I am sure that a lot had to do with the game itself and Heels fans being on their highest of horses. The year was 1998, and the parts that I haven't blacked out of my memory have to do with Antawn Jamison scoring more points than the number of seconds he held onto the ball on the offensive end...a stat I had never seen before but had to hear about after the game from every Heel fan I knew. Haven't seen it since then, anyone else hear of that stat besides the 1998 game at the 'Dome?

My friend was a freshman at UNC-Chapel Hill Branch and I was senior in HS and we got tix in the Rams Club section of the lower bowl - they're actually very very nice: Other than the putrid color, the seats were great in that they were cushioned, were about 6 inches wider than typical arena/stadium seats and I believe they even had arm rests. Seriously folks, you can't really judge those Whine & Cheesers until you sit in one of those cushy seats and then try to stand up...it's almost impossible to stand and cheer, like leaving your seat in first class on an international flight to go back to the lavatory that the rest of the people in Coach use.

I had my longtime Duke hat on as my only showing of colors and def got some jeers, but didn't really have any problems until the game was over and we were leaving the facility. A few guys wanted to throw some insults my way, which is fine, but when one guy tried to take my hat from off my head I wasn't going to have that. Turns out the guy trying to take my hat didn't really want it that bad, not enough to come and get it from me when I told him he can have it if he would simply 'come and get it.' I obviously wouldn't do anything like that these days, but when you play HS Football for Tommy Knotts and wrestle too you're a little less apt to take crap off of some jerk who can't just be happy with a blowout win. I will say that it was an isolated incident, and they really don't get too full of themselves over there unless they happen to be winning the game by a large margin, so let's hope that's not the case. But for this lifelong Duke fan and Alum, one trip to the enemy's lair was one too many.

I'll never step foot in that gaudy gullet from hell ever again.

hurleyfor3
02-27-2013, 03:29 PM
The year was 1998, and the parts that I haven't blacked out of my memory have to do with Antawn Jamison scoring more points than the number of seconds he held onto the ball on the offensive end...a stat I had never seen before but had to hear about after the game from every Heel fan I knew. Haven't seen it since then, anyone else hear of that stat besides the 1998 game at the 'Dome?

No, but our equivalent would be "41 points on 11 FGA" or whatever it was JJ did. That's the only instance at any level of basketball where I've heard that kind of stat.

Anyway, I watched the 1992 Duke at unc game from row U of the upper deck of the Dean Dome. Funny story there, I was with two friends from high school and none of us were unc students. It was 21 years ago now, but I +1 everything others have said.

I'm a tad suspicious of the OP's use of the official term, "Smith Center". Only unc fans call it that; everyone else calls it the Dean Dome.