PDA

View Full Version : Hansbrough still making friends

BD80
02-25-2013, 09:54 AM
I guess ol' roy doesn't teach his players to set picks correctly:

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-on-basketball/21761941/will-bynum-suspended-one-game-for-striking-hansbrough-in-midsection

Not that I approve of Bynum's reaction (this was the second night in a row the Pistons got smoked by the Pacers) but watch Ty-Ty's pick, and where it is on the floor halfway through the 4th quarter in a blow-out game. Its clearly not a legal pick, but it is the kind that usually won't get called because no real advantage was gained, unless the ball-handler was driving to get to the half court logo. Apparantly Tyler had been stepping in late with these kind of nuisance picks on the guards and Bynum had enough.

Reilly
02-25-2013, 10:03 AM
As a basketball matter, I didn't see much if anything wrong with Tyler's pick.

As a moral matter and Bynum's over-reaction ... well, is there a defense fund to pay his fine, 'cause I'm in!

Dr. Rosenrosen
02-25-2013, 11:02 AM
Wonder what the other picks looked like. That one was no big deal. But the announcers talked about how the children's book reading champion was getting under the skin of several Pistons with other picks he had been setting leading up to that point.

I hate when big guys step in to set a "pick" at the last second. Or worse shift and stick their feet out at the last second. It can be dangerous. BC was doing this yesterday and got called once I think. I'd hate to see any player injured b/c they got tripped instead of legitimately picked.

flyingdutchdevil
02-25-2013, 11:09 AM
Pistons and Pacers getting into a raucous in the Palace? No way...that has never happened before.

NashvilleDevil
02-25-2013, 11:27 AM
What I'm taking away from this is Tyler is still flopping. Bynum did strike him but I wouldn't call that a punch.

Jim3k
02-25-2013, 11:32 AM
Looks like the clip is unavailable now.

jimrowe0
02-25-2013, 11:33 AM
Looks like the clip is unavailable now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFmUCmxIn7o&feature=player_embedded

wavedukefan70s
02-25-2013, 12:22 PM
He is making a lot of friends.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qyf6Qr6PAAQ

Sent from my iPad

hudlow
02-25-2013, 12:24 PM
kikohozi,kikohozi!

Wheat/"/"/"
02-25-2013, 01:33 PM
The Pacers drafted TH, in part, for some added toughness.

They got it, and it's working out well for them.

moonpie23
02-25-2013, 01:59 PM
as with other plays that "psycho T" is involved in, that was a clean block by will......all ball.

:rolleyes:

slower
02-25-2013, 02:15 PM

There's nothing "tough" about Tyler and what he does/did. Basically, he's the kid in school who's always provoking you (while making sure nobody's looking) just enough so the teacher sees the reaction to his BS. He deserves every shot that comes his way.

UrinalCake
02-25-2013, 02:20 PM
From the link that jimrowe posted, it looked to me like Hansbrough's teammate actually pushed Bynum into Hansbrough. Didn't see anything that Tyler did wrong. He just happened to be the closest person when Bynum got all thuggish.

magjayran
02-25-2013, 02:27 PM
I think it says a lot TH's toughness that 5'10" Bynum did the deed and then stood there right next to him awaiting a reaction with zero fear. Sort of like when Hansbro waited for Bobby Frasier to come over so that he could pretend like he wanted to go after Gerald Henderson.

Reilly
02-25-2013, 02:34 PM
... says a lot TH's toughness ... like when Hansbro waited for Bobby Frasier to come over so that he could pretend like he wanted to go....

"Hold me back" ...

I wouldn't under-rate Tyler's toughness. He does play naked ping pong. That's tough. Or maybe that's just weird.

FerryFor50
02-25-2013, 02:39 PM
Don't forget this nice little shove:

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/2/8/3969748/hansbrough-injures-throws-valanciunas-video

He's slowly getting a rep as a dirty player...

Lar77
02-25-2013, 02:56 PM
I think it says a lot TH's toughness that 5'10" Bynum did the deed and then stood there right next to him awaiting a reaction with zero fear. Sort of like when Hansbro waited for Bobby Frasier to come over so that he could pretend like he wanted to go after Gerald Henderson.

Bynum doubling him over with that kind of hit? He should consider pro boxing or MMA. Obviously the strongest puncher since Iron Mike.;)

BD80
02-25-2013, 03:08 PM
Bynum doubling him over with that kind of hit? He should consider pro boxing or MMA. Obviously the strongest puncher since Iron Mike.;)

Poor Tyler, his nose bled for 10 minutes after that hit.

Or maybe it was the anxiety of being confronted by someone 10" shorter and 60 lb lighter than he.

TruBlu
02-25-2013, 04:51 PM
"Hold me back" ...

I wouldn't under-rate Tyler's toughness. He does play naked ping pong. That's tough. Or maybe that's just weird.

Thank you for not linking to a video!

Wheat/"/"/"
02-25-2013, 05:04 PM
There's nothing "tough" about Tyler and what he does/did. Basically, he's the kid in school who's always provoking you (while making sure nobody's looking) just enough so the teacher sees the reaction to his BS. He deserves every shot that comes his way.

Sometimes some of you guys kill me with your bias...

We all know that if TH had decided to play at Duke he'd be glorified in the same breath as Laettner and JJ for his toughness and game.

BD80
02-25-2013, 05:16 PM

We all know that if TH had decided to play at Duke he'd be glorified in the same breath as Laettner and JJ for his toughness and game.

And he'd know how to set a legal pick.

He is alarmingly unathletic enough to be a Dukie. And has the tenacity.

Toughness? Tyler's toughness is more of an act.

TruBlu
02-25-2013, 05:18 PM

He didn't so he isn't.

And by the way, if he had played for Duke, all the unc fans would be whining about his traveling and flopping.

luvdahops
02-25-2013, 05:23 PM

I will not dispute your points about TH. And would add that the Pacers think enough of Tyler and his toughness and game to have made a place on their roster for younger brother Ben. I say this as a Duke and Bulls fan.

But by the same token, you must realize that the "Psycho T" persona and various antics on and off the court make TH very easy for opposing fans to mock (as well as dislike).

brevity
02-25-2013, 05:24 PM

Not all of us. The proof? There are beloved Duke players from the past for whom I did not care much. So believe me when I tell you that I would have been in the silent minority, embarrassed by hypothetical Duke alum Tyler Hansbrough.

slower
02-25-2013, 05:42 PM
[QUOTE=Wheat/"/"/";630014We all know that if TH had decided to play at Duke...[/QUOTE]

But he didn't, so he isn't glorified here, no matter how much you want it. Why does this surprise you?

Actually, you're kind of like Hansbrough, in that you generally keep within the legal guidelines of propriety, while still being an irritant at times, yet act shocked - SHOCKED, I tell you! - when you get elbowed. ;)

So, here's to you, Psycho Wheat! Or do you prefer Psycho W?

OUR HOUSE!!!

Wheat/"/"/"
02-25-2013, 05:54 PM
But he didn't, so he isn't glorified here, no matter how much you want it. Why does this surprise you?

Actually, you're kind of like Hansbrough, in that you generally keep within the legal guidelines of propriety, while still being an irritant at times, yet act shocked - SHOCKED, I tell you! - when you get elbowed. ;)

So, here's to you, Psycho Wheat! Or do you prefer Psycho W?

OUR HOUSE!!!

Call me anything but late for dinner. :)

slower
02-25-2013, 06:02 PM
Call me anything but late for dinner. :)

You're okay, Wheat - no matter what anybody says. :D

DUKIE V(A)
02-26-2013, 12:46 AM

He is especially tough on the rims. Tyler is shooting below 43% for his career. Ouch. Hope the Pacers bought some extra orange touch up paint.

#1Duke
02-26-2013, 01:26 AM
Tyler's reaction is the same reaction any other smart player would have done to get the foul. It's part of the game. Draw attention to the hit and get the foul. It's smart basketball and any player that has half a brain would do it.
No different than shooters who kick out their legs to draw a foul or throw their arms in the air and yell when they lose the ball.
We see it all the time. Kelly is real good at this and draws fouls and gets us extra points. Good job I say.

AGDukesky
02-26-2013, 08:30 AM
Tyler's reaction is the same reaction any other smart player would have done to get the foul. It's part of the game. Draw attention to the hit and get the foul. It's smart basketball and any player that has half a brain would do it.

Thus the incredulity that Beaker pulled it off

UrinalCake
02-26-2013, 09:14 AM
If TH had played for Duke he would have been the most hated, vilified player ever. More than Laettner, more than Wojo, even more than Redick. He'd be the poster child for why Duke a.) gets all the calls, b.) can't produce NBA players, c.) can't develop big men, d.) takes highly recruited high schoolers and forces them to stay four years, and e.) is a bunch of whiny, unathletic, white guys.

Wheat/"/"/"
02-26-2013, 09:20 AM
If TH had played for Duke he would have been the most hated, vilified player ever. More than Laettner, more than Wojo, even more than Redick. He'd be the poster child for why Duke a.) gets all the calls, b.) can't produce NBA players, c.) can't develop big men, d.) takes highly recruited high schoolers and forces them to stay four years, and e.) is a bunch of whiny, unathletic, white guys.

....and Duke fans would have worshiped him. Agree?

I know I'm glad he played fer us not agin us.

Billy Dat
02-26-2013, 09:38 AM

Let's tell it like it really is....if Psycho T had gone to Duke, he'd have become Lance Thomas, setting screens for 3 point shooters and fighting for rebounds like a hungry dog chasing a piece of steak, nary an entry pass finding him in the post for such things don't exist in the K offense. JJ would still be the ACC career scoring champ, and we may have won a title in 2006. Is that about right, Wheat? Who loves you, baby?

Psycho T knows what he needs to do to stay in the NBA. Teams love guys that do dirty work, even if it gets a little dirty at times.

slower
02-26-2013, 09:40 AM
Let's tell it like it really is....if Psycho T had gone to Duke, he'd have become Lance Thomas, setting screens for 3 point shooters and fighting for rebounds like a hungry dog chasing a piece of steak, nary an entry pass finding him in the post for such things don't exist in the K offense. JJ would still be the ACC career scoring champ, and we may have won a title in 2006. Is that about right, Wheat? Who loves you, baby?

Psycho T knows what he needs to do to stay in the NBA. Teams love guys that do dirty work, even if it gets a little dirty at times.

Let's not delude ourselves. We may not like the guy, but let's give him his props.

Billy Dat
02-26-2013, 09:52 AM
Let's not delude ourselves. We may not like the guy, but let's give him his props.

I was trying to facetiously suggest that K would have turned the ACC career scoring leader into a role player because of the belief in some quarters that he doesn't know how to utilize big men. I should have added an emoticon for clarity....:p, :rolleyes:, ;), :D,

slower
02-26-2013, 10:20 AM
I was trying to facetiously suggest that K would have turned the ACC career scoring leader into a role player because of the belief in some quarters that he doesn't know how to utilize big men. I should have added an emoticon for clarity....:p, :rolleyes:, ;), :D,

Sorry - I'm a little slow this morning.

I should have realized that any situation that causes me to defend Hansbrough is suspect.

oldnavy
02-26-2013, 10:23 AM
I never had a problem with the way Hansbrough played. I had major issues with the way the refs called the game around him.

davekay1971
02-26-2013, 10:37 AM
I never had a problem with the way Hansbrough played. I had major issues with the way the refs called the game around him.

Exactly. Hansbrough was given golden-boy status by the refs early in his career and a great deal of his success was tied to that. More of his success was tied to the fact that he was active, busted his butt, could finish, developed a nice mid-range jumper as his career went on, and took advantage of the copious opportunities (both earned and unearned) that he had at the stripe by making his free throws. Credit where credit was due, but also there's no question he spent his 4 years in the ACC travelling, going over the back, hacking, grabbing, and being awarded free-throws for phatom fouls. He would have been an All-ACC player without those benefits, but he wouldn't have been the career scoring leader or NPOY.

Hansbrough, as an NBA punk, is another story. He's not getting the benefit of the calls, he's not physically superior to the other NBA big, but his work ethic and skill set is allowing him to carve a role for himself in the league. I can respect that. But I don't respect the punk behavior he's displaying. I guess that's what the Pacers want from him. Or maybe he's just a punk.

On the whole, while I always wished McBob had Hansbrough's motor, that's about the only part of Hansbrough's game I liked. If he was at Duke, I would have kind of looked at him the way Craig Robinson described Rob Corddry's character in Hot Tub Time Machine: "He's an ...hole, but he's our ...hole." On the whole, Wheat, I'm glad he's your ...hole.

killerleft
02-26-2013, 10:46 AM
....and Duke fans would have worshiped him. Agree?

I know I'm glad he played fer us not agin us.

Yes...Yes! Now shut up!!:)

oldnavy
02-26-2013, 11:03 AM
Exactly. Hansbrough was given golden-boy status by the refs early in his career and a great deal of his success was tied to that. More of his success was tied to the fact that he was active, busted his butt, could finish, developed a nice mid-range jumper as his career went on, and took advantage of the copious opportunities (both earned and unearned) that he had at the stripe by making his free throws. Credit where credit was due, but also there's no question he spent his 4 years in the ACC travelling, going over the back, hacking, grabbing, and being awarded free-throws for phatom fouls. He would have been an All-ACC player without those benefits, but he wouldn't have been the career scoring leader or NPOY.

Hansbrough, as an NBA punk, is another story. He's not getting the benefit of the calls, he's not physically superior to the other NBA big, but his work ethic and skill set is allowing him to carve a role for himself in the league. I can respect that. But I don't respect the punk behavior he's displaying. I guess that's what the Pacers want from him. Or maybe he's just a punk.

On the whole, while I always wished McBob had Hansbrough's motor, that's about the only part of Hansbrough's game I liked. If he was at Duke, I would have kind of looked at him the way Craig Robinson described Rob Corddry's character in Hot Tub Time Machine: "He's an ...hole, but he's our ...hole." On the whole, Wheat, I'm glad he's your ...hole.

I've only seen the one video of TH throwing a guy to the ground on a rebound that was making the rounds a short time ago. The announcer (other teams) made some comment that implied that Hansbrough was a bit of a punk player, but that is all I have seen of his pro game.

I just have never been interested in the NBA for some unknown reason. I don't even follow my favorite Duke players in the pro's.... I wish I had more of an interest, or perhaps it is just a time thing....

captmojo
02-26-2013, 11:06 AM

It's not that I didn't like him, it's just that I wanted to see something really bad happen to him.

A comment on the unrespondent-video CBS site mentioned that he should feel glad of who he set the pick on, and that it wasn't maybe...Rick Mahorn or Bill Lambier.

moonpie23
02-26-2013, 11:23 AM
all the criticism in the world can't change the FACT that the guy can score through contact.........who initiates that contact may be a sore subject when you're on the losing side of his game, but the guy would have been worshiped at duke....

FerryFor50
02-26-2013, 02:09 PM

Looks like he still gets Golden Boy status from refs:

http://nba.si.com/2013/02/25/ricky-rubio-minnesota-timberwolves/?sct=hp_t13_a6&eref=sihp

Tyler Hansbrough’s knack for seeking out contact is well-known, but it’s still a bit surprising to see him rank second in the NBA in average fouls drawn per 36 minutes with 7.2. The Pacers’ forward joins a top six that includes expected headliners Dwight Howard, Kevin Durant and James Harden.