PDA

View Full Version : Duke Women Roll.....75-59 Over Maryland

ynotme32
02-24-2013, 04:56 PM
Congratulations to the Duke women on this big win and clinching the #1 seed in the ACC Tournament. Nice job ladies!

burnspbesq
02-24-2013, 05:17 PM
That was an "any questions?" type performance from Duke. Except for one 9-0 run midway through the second half, Maryland didn't look like they were a threat. EWill, Haley, and AV stood toe-to-toe with the very physical Turtle front line and never gave an inch. AJ looked like a freshman at times, but for the most part she ran the offense with smarts and composure. When we needed to bury shots late in the shot clock we buried them.

We could still get a 1 seed if we run the table. Either UConn or ND is going to lose one more game. If Cal beats Stanford in the PAC 12 tournament, our win over the Bears becomes an even bigger asset in RPI and SOS computations.

Well done, ladies. Now on to Miami.

uh_no
02-24-2013, 05:29 PM
Nd uconn and baylor have 1 seeds locked up. The question of who is the fourth is yet open. Its one of duke cal and stanford...

wandalee
02-24-2013, 06:04 PM
What a fun game to watch! I didn't think we had much of a chance at MD without Chelsea, but the ladies played great and were tough the entire game. Great win and now we are ACC regular season champs.

DukeGirl4ever
02-24-2013, 06:37 PM
I thought the zone was pretty effective in the 2nd half for our ladies.
Alyssa Thomas has now had two "not so great" games against us, so congrats to Coach P and the girls for having a great game plan.

It was an all around team effort with 4 girls scoring in double figures.

It will be interesting to see how the Jones/Wells combination can fill in for Chelsea for the rest of the year. Today, I was quite impressed.

GO DUKE!

burnspbesq
02-24-2013, 06:38 PM
Nd uconn and baylor have 1 seeds locked up. The question of who is the fourth is yet open. Its one of duke cal and stanford...

Your bias is showing a little. UConn has a chance to have four losses by selection Monday (if it loses to ND in the regular season finale and the Big East tournament). If Duke has only one loss and either Cal or Stanford has only two, how do you justify keeping two of them off the top line?

chrishoke
02-24-2013, 06:39 PM
Congrats to the regular season champs. Nice to see R. Jackson rounding back into form.

uh_no
02-24-2013, 07:20 PM
A 30 point loss to uconn is decent justification for keeping them off the top line, especially if the 4 losses you ascribe to uconn all came against other 1 seeds...further, uconns SOS is remarkably surperior to duke's...thanks for ascribing my analysis to bias.

WakeDevil
02-24-2013, 07:32 PM
When did Brenda have her first meltdown?

throatybeard
02-24-2013, 07:54 PM
When did Brenda have her first meltdown?

She makes me cry for my mommy when I see her on the TV.

Liston is the truth.

Kedsy
02-24-2013, 07:56 PM
Between this game and the Florida State game, I am amazed at how much Tricia, Chloe, and Alexis have stepped up their games in Chelsea's absence. All three have played remarkably well. We may be the fifth best team in the country with Chelsea, but we just might be the fifth best team in the country without her as well. It certainly will be a challenge, since the top four teams all appear to be better than Duke, but a Final Four appearance is not out of the question.

burnspbesq
02-25-2013, 12:32 AM
A 30 point loss to uconn is decent justification for keeping them off the top line, especially if the 4 losses you ascribe to uconn all came against other 1 seeds...further, uconns SOS is remarkably surperior to duke's...thanks for ascribing my analysis to bias.

If Duke runs the table, including a win over Maryland in the ACC championship game, Stanford runs the table, including a win over Cal in the Pac-12 championship game, and UConn loses two more to Notre Dame including the Big East championship game, here is what the selection committee will see (RPI groupings based on current RPI).

UConn: overall record 28-4, 4-4 vs. RPI top 10, 11-4 vs. RPI top 50, 13-4 vs. RPI top 100.
Duke: overall record 31-1, 4-1 vs. RPI top 10, 12-1 vs. RPI top 50, 14-1 vs. RPI top 100.
Stanford: overall record 31-2, 4-2 vs. RPI top 10, 11-2 vs. RPI top 50, 14-2 vs. RPI top 100.

Who's got the best two bodies of work?

SOS: The difference in SOS between UConn and Duke will be largely attributable to the relative strengths of the bottom of the ACC vs. the bottom of the Big East vs. the bottom of the Pac-12. Duke has played eight conference games against teams outside the RPI top 100, whereas Stanford will play seven (it still has a trip to Washington State this week) and UConn has played four. Cripple-shooting? UConn played three non-conference games against teams outside the RPI top 200 (Oregon, Colgate, Oakland) vs. two for Duke (Cal State Bakersfield, Valparaiso) and only one for Stanford (UC Davis).

You may think that a four-loss UConn team would still be a lock for a 1 seed. The metrics that the selection committee is likely to consider tell a slightly different story. UConn needs at least a split against Notre Dame between now and selection Monday in order to be assured of a 1 seed.

uh_no
02-25-2013, 12:54 AM
If Duke runs the table, including a win over Maryland in the ACC championship game, Stanford runs the table, including a win over Cal in the Pac-12 championship game, and UConn loses two more to Notre Dame including the Big East championship game, here is what the selection committee will see (RPI groupings based on current RPI).

UConn: overall record 28-4, 4-4 vs. RPI top 10, 11-4 vs. RPI top 50, 13-4 vs. RPI top 100.
Duke: overall record 31-1, 4-1 vs. RPI top 10, 12-1 vs. RPI top 50, 14-1 vs. RPI top 100.
Stanford: overall record 31-2, 4-2 vs. RPI top 10, 11-2 vs. RPI top 50, 14-2 vs. RPI top 100.

Who's got the best two bodies of work?

SOS: The difference in SOS between UConn and Duke will be largely attributable to the relative strengths of the bottom of the ACC vs. the bottom of the Big East vs. the bottom of the Pac-12. Duke has played eight conference games against teams outside the RPI top 100, whereas Stanford will play seven (it still has a trip to Washington State this week) and UConn has played four. Cripple-shooting? UConn played three non-conference games against teams outside the RPI top 200 (Oregon, Colgate, Oakland) vs. two for Duke (Cal State Bakersfield, Valparaiso) and only one for Stanford (UC Davis).

You may think that a four-loss UConn team would still be a lock for a 1 seed. The metrics that the selection committee is likely to consider tell a slightly different story. UConn needs at least a split against Notre Dame between now and selection Monday in order to be assured of a 1 seed.

So the selection committee would just ignore a uconn 30 point win over duke, and 20 point win over stanford then?

If uconn had 4 losses, they would have all come against the top two teams in the country, and then after that, they are undefeated against the rest of the country....including

#4 stanford
#5 duke
#6 cal
#7 penn state
#8 maryland
#10 texas a&m
#12 louisville
#22 purdue

i mean, maybe you're right...maybe the committee is absolutely blind to anything other than record, but when you have played the schedule that uconn has, it's hard to ignore context....if Duke played 4 games against the top 2 in the nation, there's a pretty good chance they'd have 4 losses too...judging by their play against uconn.

SOS: The difference in SOS between UConn and Duke will be largely attributable to the relative strengths of the bottom of the ACC vs. the bottom of the Big East vs. the bottom of the Pac-12.
I would like to point out that this is absurd....assuming uconn gets ND twice more, they will have played 10 games against top 10 opponents, vs duke's 4....with 7 of them coming against coming against what are generally considered to be the best 6 in the country (who are head and shoulders above the rest of the country) vs 2 for duke......in women's basketball, it's all about the performance against the top is really all that matters....wins against anything against the top are all the same (and uconn and duke have both confirmed this by mostly blowing out everyone they've faced other than the top).....so far uconn is 3-2....with 2 close losses and 3 double digit wins....duke is 1-1....with a big loss and a big win...

I just don't feel there is any way to look at the resumes with any sort of criticality and come to the conclusion that duke is either a better team or has had the better year.

but again, maybe the committee really isn't that bright. who knows

Kfanarmy
02-25-2013, 09:22 AM
So the selection committee would just ignore a uconn 30 point win over duke, and 20 point win over stanford then?

If the U CONs lose two more times and Duke doesn't, Duke will get the higher seed. Both teams have GREAT resumes, but one would have a single blow out loss to the other but will have failed to overcome 3 fewer times.

Kedsy
02-25-2013, 11:02 AM
If the U CONs lose two more times and Duke doesn't, Duke will get the higher seed. Both teams have GREAT resumes, but one would have a single blow out loss to the other but will have failed to overcome 3 fewer times.

Yeah, I don't know. It depends on whether the committee for the women's tournament does things the same as the men's. If we were talking about men's teams with the resumes you describe, I think there would be a decent chance that the 1-loss team that won its conference tournament would get a higher seed than the 4-loss team that didn't. But I'm not sure the women's committee will see it that way. Uh_no is right that UConn seems to be the better team based on its body of work.