PDA

View Full Version : ESPN3 Replay

Rich
02-24-2013, 11:34 AM
Has anyone used the ESPN3.com replay feature? I usually tape (DVR) afternoon Duke games to watch in the evening, which I can't do today since it's not on TV here in NJ. Is every game on ESPN3 available for replay? Do they show commercials or are they edited out? Is it a reliable option? If I can avoid learning the score all day, it's the perfect evening entertainment while the rest of my family watches the Oscars and pre-Oscar drivel.

JonnyWonder
02-24-2013, 11:48 AM
Has anyone used the ESPN3.com replay feature? I usually tape (DVR) afternoon Duke games to watch in the evening, which I can't do today since it's not on TV here in NJ. Is every game on ESPN3 available for replay? Do they show commercials or are they edited out? Is it a reliable option? If I can avoid learning the score all day, it's the perfect evening entertainment while the rest of my family watches the Oscars and pre-Oscar drivel.

Hi Rich,

I use ESPN3/WatchESPN replay all the time, as I don't have cable and the games are often blacked out live. It's great and very reliable, although quality depends to some extent on your internet speed. Sometimes the first couple minutes are pretty bad quality and then it kicks up to high quality for me. I watch the games either on my laptop or connected to my HDTV via an HDMI cable, and the quality is very watchable, although not as good as a straight TV signal.

From what I can tell on the site, the archives go back 30 days, so you can go as far back as the 1/30 game against Wake. The games are usually available on replay about 30 min after the game ends from my experience. There aren't commercials, although the commercial breaks are still in the video, so you just see an ESPN logo for a couple minutes during breaks. It's easy enough to move the progress bar at the bottom of the screen forward a couple minutes for commercial breaks and 20 minutes or so for halftime. With a little practice you will become a pro at timing it.

Most of my game watching these days involves avoiding learning the score and watching it the next day on ESPN replay. Works really well, unless you have coworkers or friends who text you about game stuff. Hope that helps!

-j

BigWayne
02-24-2013, 12:16 PM
My experience is similar to Jonny. He described it pretty well. The only real issue/problem is when it becomes available. You have to wait for the game to be completely over and then another 30 minutes or so at least. How long you have to wait is a variable unknown time and during that time, you won't be able to find the game at all in the listings. Before the game, you will see it in the upcoming list, during the game it will be in the live list, the next day it will be in the replay list. But in that variable period after the game ends, it won't show up at all.

Kedsy
02-24-2013, 12:17 PM
The games are usually available on replay about 30 min after the game ends from my experience.

I also use this feature fairly often. The only thing I would add to JonnyWonder's description is my observation that it often takes a little more than an hour after the game ends before the games are available on replay (or it might be 3 hours after tipoff, usually comes out around the same), so I'd expect today's game to be available around 5:10pm.

lotusland
02-24-2013, 08:30 PM
I also use this feature fairly often. The only thing I would add to JonnyWonder's description is my observation that it often takes a little more than an hour after the game ends before the games are available on replay (or it might be 3 hours after tipoff, usually comes out around the same), so I'd expect today's game to be available around 5:10pm.

I usually watch the replay whether or not I got to watch the game live. I can usually watch the replay in about an hour by skipping the commercial breaks and halftime. I always know the score and stats before I watch which allows me focus on certain players or watch what is going on away from the ball a bit more. It's a lot easier for me to pick up on subtleties when I'm not jumping around and screaming at the TV:D

-bdbd
02-24-2013, 09:05 PM
Hi Rich,

I use ESPN3/WatchESPN replay all the time, as I don't have cable and the games are often blacked out live. It's great and very reliable, although quality depends to some extent on your internet speed. Sometimes the first couple minutes are pretty bad quality and then it kicks up to high quality for me. I watch the games either on my laptop or connected to my HDTV via an HDMI cable, and the quality is very watchable, although not as good as a straight TV signal.

From what I can tell on the site, the archives go back 30 days, so you can go as far back as the 1/30 game against Wake. The games are usually available on replay about 30 min after the game ends from my experience. There aren't commercials, although the commercial breaks are still in the video, so you just see an ESPN logo for a couple minutes during breaks. It's easy enough to move the progress bar at the bottom of the screen forward a couple minutes for commercial breaks and 20 minutes or so for halftime. With a little practice you will become a pro at timing it.

Most of my game watching these days involves avoiding learning the score and watching it the next day on ESPN replay. Works really well, unless you have coworkers or friends who text you about game stuff. Hope that helps!

-j

Good summary. I just did that to watch today's game, as my daughter was in her BB playoffs at the same time today. It worked nicely and I did "feel" my way through fast-forwading the commercial breaks, and through halftime. Also, make sure that you use the "expanded screen" (full screen) function so that you're not looking at a small, 2" x 3" box....

BTW, when watching live I tend to go to the www.theacc.com site as I like their broadcasts over ESPN's (when they occasionally are separate). Today I think they were one and the same.
:cool::cool:

wk2109
02-26-2013, 08:03 PM
From what I can tell on the site, the archives go back 30 days, so you can go as far back as the 1/30 game against Wake.

I used to think the archives only went back 30 days, but if you choose "All" under "Date," you can go back even further than 30 days (not sure exactly how much further, but I was able to get the 12/8 Duke vs. Temple game just now).

Henderson
02-26-2013, 08:20 PM
I'll add my endorsement to the ESPN replay function online. I used to subscribe to realtime broadcasts, but I was disappointed. The ESPN replay is available very soon after a game ends, and it works great, so I just use that. It's free; I'm cheap, so we get along great.

Another bonus: If I know Duke has lost, I don't have to have the heart ripped out of my chest in real time. I didn't watch the Maryland replay, for example. Plus, I can focus on individual players but scroll back so I don't miss anything. Things like footwork, defense, and off-ball movement are so much easier (for me) to watch when it's a tape. When it's live and I can only watch one thing, my eyes follow the ball like most pikers.

gep
02-26-2013, 11:56 PM
Another shout out to ESPN3. I have Apple-TV, with my iPhone (as I guess an iPad), I can stream ESPN3 directly from my iPhone to Apple-TV that is connected to a big-screen TV. "Almost" HD... *very* good, at least. I've stopped recording games, unless it's CBS or something else. Much joy:cool:

noworries
02-27-2013, 12:41 AM
I used to think the archives only went back 30 days, but if you choose "All" under "Date," you can go back even further than 30 days (not sure exactly how much further, but I was able to get the 12/8 Duke vs. Temple game just now).

For about a year after the Duke UNC game in 2011 at Cameron, I could rewatch it...and did, on multiple occasions!