PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke vs Boston College Pre-Game & In-Game Thread

Bob Green
02-23-2013, 08:11 AM
Duke hosts Boston College Sunday at 2 pm. The Eagles gave us fits in the first game.

Reilly
02-23-2013, 08:46 AM
We're 17 points better per www.sports-reference.com.

BC on the road in the ACC this year:

@ VT ... win by 11
@ WF ... lose by 3
@ MD ... lose by 5
@ VA ... lose by 14
@ Mia ... lose by 22
@ FSU ... lose by 3

subzero02
02-23-2013, 10:53 AM
They played a solid game at FSU last week... Came a few plays short of winning.

Kedsy
02-23-2013, 11:30 AM

And then they beat Maryland (albeit at home). BC isn't terrible, though Cameron will hopefully present a challenge for such a young team.

Wander
02-23-2013, 12:52 PM

Well, South Alabama, Mercer, and even more embarrassingly UNC all actually won at FSU, so I don't know how much that says.

Les Grossman
02-23-2013, 02:06 PM
Comcast doesn't have it in my area Philly burbs

Bob Green
02-23-2013, 02:07 PM

www.espn3.com

Les Grossman
02-23-2013, 02:09 PM
www.espn3.com
unfortunately, not

Bob Green
02-23-2013, 02:17 PM
unfortunately, not

http://www.firstrow1.eu/

Be very, very careful at that website. It tries to trick you into clicking on links and downloads, etc...

NSDukeFan
02-23-2013, 02:17 PM
unfortunately, not

I think the ACC Network may have this one on-line if you don't have ESPN access.

Kedsy
02-23-2013, 02:35 PM

I also live in the Philadelphia suburbs. My Comcast appears to be carrying it on CW57 (channel 14 for me). Or at least that's what it says on the program guide.

Les Grossman
02-23-2013, 02:38 PM
I also live in the Philadelphia suburbs. My Comcast appears to be carrying it on CW57 (channel 14 for me). Or at least that's what it says on the program guide.

CW57 is carrying a movie in my area

matt1
02-23-2013, 02:39 PM

In Philadelphia, The CW is carrying it. I have FiOS, on which it is channel 516.

wavedukefan70s
02-23-2013, 03:41 PM
In charleston S.C. Wcsc ch.5 is showing NDvs Cincinnati.watch espn has it on the net.

cptnflash
02-23-2013, 06:18 PM
Should be a very easy win. I'll be disappointed if it's single digits. BC is not awful, as others have said, but they are significantly below average for a high major conference team. It took a very special set of circumstances for them to give us a decent game in their own building. Nothing of the sort will be happening tomorrow.

airowe
02-23-2013, 08:47 PM
ACC Network has it on CW in Philly: http://www.theacc.com/live/2013-acc-basketball-mens-match-center-220.html

WillJ
02-23-2013, 09:51 PM
Well, South Alabama, Mercer, and even more embarrassingly UNC all actually won at FSU, so I don't know how much that says.

This unc dig made me happy. Thanks.

OZZIE4DUKE
02-23-2013, 10:48 PM
The Honorable Mr. Mike Corey will be at the game on Sunday! :cool:

Les Grossman
02-24-2013, 08:29 AM
my TV guide is now showing the game carried on CW 57
see you online at 2!

pfrduke
02-24-2013, 09:13 AM
For those of you in New York with TimeWarner cable, the game is on channel 55 (and 755 in HD).

davekay1971
02-24-2013, 09:34 AM
I'm going to do a bold-faced and unashamed link to my contention that Rasheed Sulaimon should be ACC ROY by noting that this game gives an opportunity for direct comparison and contrast between the heroic Sheed and that undeserving usurper from The College of Boston City with the foppish French name.

Aside from hoping Sheed has a great game and Hanlan has a lousy one to boost my own argument (and, as a side benefit, boost Sheed's chances of winning ROY), I look at this game as a should-win and an opportunity for Quinn to have a nice getting-back-on-track game. At the VT game, Quinn was probably the one starter who didn't have a great game. He was hampered with foul trouble and didn't play badly...but he has seemed a little off the last few games. I'd love to see him come out and have a really good game distributing the ball and looking for his shot within the flow of the offense.

sagegrouse
02-24-2013, 09:49 AM
I'm going to do a bold-faced and unashamed link to my contention that Rasheed Sulaimon should be ACC ROY by noting that this game gives an opportunity for direct comparison and contrast between the heroic Sheed and that undeserving usurper from The College of Boston City with the foppish French name.

Aside from hoping Sheed has a great game and Hanlan has a lousy one to boost my own argument (and, as a side benefit, boost Sheed's chances of winning ROY), I look at this game as a should-win and an opportunity for Quinn to have a nice getting-back-on-track game. At the VT game, Quinn was probably the one starter who didn't have a great game. He was hampered with foul trouble and didn't play badly...but he has seemed a little off the last few games. I'd love to see him come out and have a really good game distributing the ball and looking for his shot within the flow of the offense.

Uh,.... Olivier is French, or at least Quebecois. Although maybe that's worse. -sage

moonpie23
02-24-2013, 11:15 AM
gentle snowflakes,

unfortunately, i will be en route to our sister state for a wake, therefore, i will be unable to execute my usual positions on the favorite chair, display of duke gear in key places around the chair, drinking of the game day beverage nor worried-at-halftime-routine. I've learned that listening to my slingbox over my iphone while motoring through the "we-don't-want-your-kind-here" state is a poor substitution.

you are all hereby admonished to execute YOUR Game day rituals with the UTMOST precision.

apologies. to y'all and louis black...

uh_no
02-24-2013, 01:13 PM
Kelly no crutches wearing a boot, as expected

ChillinDuke
02-24-2013, 01:51 PM
New York Fios users - my guide is saying WLNY (Channel 10), so HD is channel 510.

- Chillin

uh_no
02-24-2013, 01:55 PM
Kelly is walking fine. No sort of limp or anything

davekay1971
02-24-2013, 02:00 PM
Uh,.... Olivier is French, or at least Quebecois. Although maybe that's worse. -sage

Just because he's Quebecois doesn't mean his parents couldn't have given him a real name, like Seth or Quinn or Mason or something. This is 'Merica. If he's gonna play a 'Merican game at a 'Merican college, he oughtta have a 'Merican name.

Like Luol.

CLW
02-24-2013, 02:05 PM
Another game on ESPN3. Feels like more than the "usual" internet only games this season.

davekay1971
02-24-2013, 02:07 PM
Another game on ESPN3. Feels like more than the "usual" internet only games this season.

In Charlotte, at least, it's on CBS. Regional broadcasting, I guess, with ESPN 3 rights otherwise.

TNDukeFan
02-24-2013, 02:14 PM

I'm getting it at http://www.theacc.com/live/

Dr. Rosenrosen
02-24-2013, 02:16 PM
Honest question... Is there a reason Quinn does not use the high picks the way it is typically taught? He leaves so much space between the pick and himself that his defender rarely is slowed let alone actually "picked" off. The result is Quinn just dribbling around. I love Quinn but i just don't get this.

Les Grossman
02-24-2013, 02:19 PM
love it when he gets going

Les Grossman
02-24-2013, 02:20 PM
and a great no look by QC

CLW
02-24-2013, 02:25 PM
mason going to go to the line a TON today.

davekay1971
02-24-2013, 02:50 PM
Take that, Olivier!

Our ROY: Rasheed!

dukelifer
02-24-2013, 02:57 PM
Rasheed in the zone today

Les Grossman
02-24-2013, 02:58 PM
Rasheed seems to have a point to make, today!

uh_no
02-24-2013, 03:01 PM
We intentionally went 2 for 1 at the end of the half. Love to see us work that

Les Grossman
02-24-2013, 03:02 PM
shooting 62%
Won't lose many games shooting like that

arnie
02-24-2013, 03:04 PM
Rasheed seems to have a point to make, today!

Sheed & Amile showing up strong again. Just hope Amile continues to get PT when Kelly comes back.

sporthenry
02-24-2013, 03:05 PM
Granted it is BC and Va. Tech, but this is the best Duke has looked without Kelly. This is 60 minutes of great basketball. I'm sure they were fatigued during that last stretch but I also think that K got into them a bit and challenged them and these are the results. Obviously, next week is the real test but these last 2 games are very important.

Gives Duke time to run its offense and gain confidence but also these games are also a nice little rest. I'm sure they've had practice the last week or two that were more tiresome than these last 2 games so they should be rested but not rusty (at least I hope). But apart from a few stretches in the UNC or NC State game, this is the first time I've felt confident in Duke being a top 10 team without Kelly. Offense is starting to click without Kelly.

Now hopefully he can get back and they make the transition seamlessly back into Duke with Kelly. But the one thing I will say is that they haven't really changed the offense much as they did when Kyrie went out. It looks like the offense is almost the exact same and the success is a result of guys like Hairston/Amile combining to do what Kelly used to do. Perhaps less shots to go around with Kelly back but not as concerned about continuity as I was when Kyrie came back.

jipops
02-24-2013, 03:08 PM
2 Duke freshmen have combined to score just 2 points less than BC in the 1st half.

CLW
02-24-2013, 03:19 PM
sheed on a tear

dukelifer
02-24-2013, 03:22 PM
Granted it is BC and Va. Tech, but this is the best Duke has looked without Kelly. This is 60 minutes of great basketball. I'm sure they were fatigued during that last stretch but I also think that K got into them a bit and challenged them and these are the results. Obviously, next week is the real test but these last 2 games are very important.

Gives Duke time to run its offense and gain confidence but also these games are also a nice little rest. I'm sure they've had practice the last week or two that were more tiresome than these last 2 games so they should be rested but not rusty (at least I hope). But apart from a few stretches in the UNC or NC State game, this is the first time I've felt confident in Duke being a top 10 team without Kelly. Offense is starting to click without Kelly.

Now hopefully he can get back and they make the transition seamlessly back into Duke with Kelly. But the one thing I will say is that they haven't really changed the offense much as they did when Kyrie went out. It looks like the offense is almost the exact same and the success is a result of guys like Hairston/Amile combining to do what Kelly used to do. Perhaps less shots to go around with Kelly back but not as concerned about continuity as I was when Kyrie came back.
The D is sparking the O. Getting turnovers and getting easy buckets is big. Duke is doing better at taking things away. Still work to do but they are better of late.

dukelifer
02-24-2013, 03:25 PM
The D is sparking the O. Getting turnovers and getting easy buckets is big. Duke is doing better at taking things away. Still work to do but they are better of late.

Perhaps I spoke too soon

jipops
02-24-2013, 03:26 PM

I know this is a blowout and our offense is clicking, i.e. we are hitting shots, but I still have big concerns regarding our defense.

BlueDster
02-24-2013, 03:27 PM
So do handoffs count as assists? Would Mason get an assist for that handoff to Rasheed for 3 a few minutes ago?

CLW
02-24-2013, 03:32 PM
sheed and amile taking over this one. love it!

Les Grossman
02-24-2013, 03:33 PM
that's 3 old fashioned 3 point plays for Amile

gumbomoop
02-24-2013, 03:34 PM
Enjoyed - or more precisely thought relevant - Brando's comment coming out of timeout that Cook's remaining in the lineup must have taken some "lobbying." When Quinn hangs his head and shows poor body language, it's irritating and discouraging.

On a much more positive note, Amile's touch around the rim, from a variety of angles and speeds, is great to watch. He's practiced that junk a lot, I think; it's not luck.

dukelifer
02-24-2013, 03:37 PM
Enjoyed - or more precisely thought relevant - Brando's comment coming out of timeout that Cook's remaining in the lineup must have taken some "lobbying." When Quinn hangs his head and shows poor body language, it's irritating and discouraging.

On a much more positive note, Amile's touch around the rim, from a variety of angles and speeds, is great to watch. He's practiced that junk a lot, I think; it's not luck.

Amile played center in HS. He is very skilled down low. I think he will develop his mid range game in time. He will be a very very good player.

dukelifer
02-24-2013, 03:47 PM
Murphy has a "hard" shot. Needs a tweak on his mechanics. Not exactly sure what is causing that.

jipops
02-24-2013, 03:53 PM
BC shooting 52%. Not to be a downer, but this does not bode well for future games. They are getting a ton of easy looks.

davekay1971
02-24-2013, 03:56 PM
BC shooting 52%. Not to be a downer, but this does not bode well for future games. They are getting a ton of easy looks.

Yes, during this 2nd half run while our intensity has slacked off a little, their looks are better than they were earlier. But, in the first half, when we put this game away (and putting a game away in the first half is a good thing, although it generally leads to less intensity in the 2nd half...human nature), we played suffocating defense. BC's turnovers were mostly forced, and their shots were NOT easy.

Looking at the defense during a stretch in the 2nd half in a game like this doesn't mean anything for future games, except, I guess, in future games where we're up 20-30 for the majority of the 2nd half. I'd take a look, instead, at the defensive effort and execution during the relatively short competitive portion of this game. It was suffocating.

rocketeli
02-24-2013, 04:05 PM
shot of the BC bench--wow is Boston College the whitest team in Division I or what?

jipops
02-24-2013, 04:07 PM
Yes, during this 2nd half run while our intensity has slacked off a little, their looks are better than they were earlier. But, in the first half, when we put this game away (and putting a game away in the first half is a good thing, although it generally leads to less intensity in the 2nd half...human nature), we played suffocating defense. BC's turnovers were mostly forced, and their shots were NOT easy.

Looking at the defense during a stretch in the 2nd half in a game like this doesn't mean anything for future games, except, I guess, in future games where we're up 20-30 for the majority of the 2nd half. I'd take a look, instead, at the defensive effort and execution during the relatively short competitive portion of this game. It was suffocating.

Actually we built a lot of the margin off turnovers and hot shooting. BC also missed a lot of open looks in the 1st. In the 2nd those have started to go down.

Hopefully some of our defensive issues will be resolved in the next couple weeks.

davekay1971
02-24-2013, 04:09 PM
Actually we built a lot of the margin off turnovers and hot shooting. BC also missed a lot of open looks in the 1st. In the 2nd those have started to go down.

Hopefully some of our defensive issues will be resolved in the next couple weeks.

And how did the turnovers happen? Because I didn't see undefended BC guys dribble it off their foot or throw it to the cheerleaders. Those were defensively forced turnovers. Good defense.