PDA

View Full Version : Oscar night

Olympic Fan
02-23-2013, 12:23 AM
Okay, I haven't seen all the nominated flics, but I've followed the commentary closely. I think I'd try to project the six main awards, listed in order of my confidence in the pick:

Best Actor: Daniel Day Lewis ... it's almost unanimous that he's going to win for the title role in Lincoln.

Best supporting actress Ann Hathaway for Les Miz ... again everything I read or have heard suggests it's hers

Best Picture: Argo ... I read an interesting rationale for why this wins. The largest voting block in the academy are the actors and actresses and there seems to be widespread disappointment that Affleck got shafted by the director's guild (the various specialities make the nomination, then the whole membership votes on the award). Argo should benefit from Affleck's peers showing him support.

Best Director: Steven Spielberg. This is where it starts to get tough -- a lot of admiration for Ang Lee for Pi. But all those actors and actresses who vote for Argo over Lincoln for Best Picture will compensate by voting for Lincoln's diretor.

Best Actress: Jessica Chastain for Zero Dark Thirty. Another toughie, a lot of sentiment for Jennifer Lawrence and for Emmanuelle Riva.

Best supporting actor: Tommy Lee Jones, Lincoln. Just guessing here -- hard to pick against De Niro.

BTW, Shouldn't we think about establishing a categy for child actors? Quvenzhane Wallis was amazing, but it's ridiculous to have a nine-year old compoeting for best actress. I'm not sue whether her performance was acting per se ... put Wallis in a category with the two kids from Moonrise Kingdom and give one of them the Oscar.

Anyway, those are my guesses ... I challenge you to do better!

A-Tex Devil
02-23-2013, 01:15 AM
Okay, I haven't seen all the nominated flics, but I've followed the commentary closely. I think I'd try to project the six main awards, listed in order of my confidence in the pick:

Best Actor: Daniel Day Lewis ... it's almost unanimous that he's going to win for the title role in Lincoln.

Best supporting actress Ann Hathaway for Les Miz ... again everything I read or have heard suggests it's hers

Best Picture: Argo ... I read an interesting rationale for why this wins. The largest voting block in the academy are the actors and actresses and there seems to be widespread disappointment that Affleck got shafted by the director's guild (the various specialities make the nomination, then the whole membership votes on the award). Argo should benefit from Affleck's peers showing him support.

Best Director: Steven Spielberg. This is where it starts to get tough -- a lot of admiration for Ang Lee for Pi. But all those actors and actresses who vote for Argo over Lincoln for Best Picture will compensate by voting for Lincoln's diretor.

Best Actress: Jessica Chastain for Zero Dark Thirty. Another toughie, a lot of sentiment for Jennifer Lawrence and for Emmanuelle Riva.

Best supporting actor: Tommy Lee Jones, Lincoln. Just guessing here -- hard to pick against De Niro.

BTW, Shouldn't we think about establishing a categy for child actors? Quvenzhane Wallis was amazing, but it's ridiculous to have a nine-year old compoeting for best actress. I'm not sue whether her performance was acting per se ... put Wallis in a category with the two kids from Moonrise Kingdom and give one of them the Oscar.

Anyway, those are my guesses ... I challenge you to do better!

I liked Zero Dark Thirty, and I like Jessica Chastain. But I thought there are about a dozen actresses in Hollywood that could have done well in that. Surprised she is a favorite.

throatybeard
02-23-2013, 02:35 PM
I just want to observe that Roger Deakins could make me teaching class look like Reese Witherspoon taking a shower.

DU82
02-23-2013, 04:58 PM

As I'm sure you know, there used to be a juvenile award, first given to Shirley Temple in 1935, and last given to Hayley Mills in 1961.

Then Patty Duke (at 16) won the best supporting actress award, and the Academy decided that young actors could compete, and haven't given out a junior Oscar since.

Mickey Rooney and other recipients have appeared in the past when the Oscar telecast honored all past acting award winners, as I believe they've done with all other honorary winners.

throatybeard
02-23-2013, 10:50 PM
Hayley Mills

Ah, Miss Bliss.

darthur
02-25-2013, 12:37 AM
For general interest, Nate Silver did predictions:

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/02/22/oscar-predictions-election-style/?hpw

Picture: Argo (Right)
Director: Steven Spielburg (Wrong, but he had Ang Lee as an extremely close second)
Actor: Daniel Day-Lewis (Right)
Actress: Jennifer Lawrence (Right)
Supporting Actor: Tommy Lee Jones (Wrong; he had Christopher Waltz in third)
Supporting Actress: Anne Hathaway (Right)

Apparently, the oscars are harder to predict statistically than the election :). Actually, that's not really surprising. There's fewer people voting and the "polling" is much less reliable.

Olympic Fan
02-25-2013, 12:46 AM
For general interest, Nate Silver did predictions:

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/02/22/oscar-predictions-election-style/?hpw

Picture: Argo (Right)
Director: Steven Spielburg (Wrong, but he had Ang Lee as an extremely close second)
Actor: Daniel Day-Lewis (Right)
Actress: Jennifer Lawrence (Right)
Supporting Actor: Tommy Lee Jones (Wrong; he had Christopher Waltz in third)
Supporting Actress: Anne Hathaway (Right)

Apparently, the oscars are harder to predict statistically than the election :). Actually, that's not really surprising. There's fewer people voting and the "polling" is much less reliable.

Well, he got one more than me, so I'm not going to knock him.

BTW, I'm not usually a Seth McFarlane fan, but thought he did a good job as host ... (especially his song about "Boobs")

brevity
02-25-2013, 02:41 AM
Stifler won an Oscar?!?

Kidding. Congratulations to Argo screenwriter Chris Terrio.

Lousy show. Sorry. Not the host's fault: Seth MacFarlane was fine, and a good sport. (Not entirely unlike early, pre-institution Billy Crystal.) Some years the host seemingly disappears for long stretches at a time, making us wonder why we need a host at all. Seth stuck around and, well, hosted. Interacted well with Shatner. Didn't mention his movie (or anything about himself) in the monologue. Plugged the ABC network. Didn't roll his eyes.

The problem was the producers and director. Getting the guys behind Chicago and TV's "Smash" to bring out Catherine Zeta-Jones (of Chicago) and Jennifer Hudson (of TV's "Smash") for unnecessary musical numbers was self-serving. And the director, who I think does this job every year, missed just about every opportunity to cut to a famous seated person. I especially liked when they were presenting Beasts of the Southern Wild, and the camera goes to the cast of Silver Linings Playbook. The telecast should be tight and professional. This one was loose and amateur.

The second problem was the presenters. Last year's ceremony was an unacknowledged peak: perfect dialogue and perfect selection, mostly of former SNL cast members and actors who have hosted SNL and are comfortable doing live TV. This year was a return to the norm, where millionaire actors come up on stage and flub their lines, the one thing they're supposed to be good at doing.

Finally, the speeches. I'm not really sure why winners just list off a bunch of names of industry executives instead of, you know, making a speech. (Even Stifler and Tarantino, who are in the business of writing, disappointed.) A few people said a sentence or two of actual content, but only Daniel Day-Lewis used the forum properly. It's a pity that he and Affleck couldn't set an example at the beginning of the ceremony.

Jim3k
02-25-2013, 03:00 AM
I found Seth MacFarlane to be excellent. His persona added a lot of fun to the show.

In addition, who knew that Daniel Day-Lewis had a sense of humor and could play funsy with Meryl Streep. The "we swapped" line was the best of the night--meant last year he had to give to Streep his role of Margaret Thatcher and she swapped to give him her role as Lincoln.

Finally, a show with both Barbra Streisand and Shirley Bassey singing their best movie songs (The Way We Were and Goldfinger, respectively) is an automatic winner. Bassey's pipes at 75 are still pretty darn good and Streisand never gets old. (She's 70.)

allenmurray
02-25-2013, 06:52 AM
I rarely watch awards shows - I simply don't like them. But my wife loves the Oscars, so I decided to try to watch this one with her. After 25 minutes I decided this was one of the most insipid thing I had ever watched. I left the room. I thought the McFarlane-Shatner schtick was beyond stupid.

JasonEvans
02-25-2013, 10:23 AM
The grave mistake made by the producers was sooo many musical numbers that went on too long. No reason to have Zeta-Jones, Bassey, Adele, Streisand, Hudson, and others do the full versions of their songs -- do a trimmed down 1 1/2 minute version. even the ones that were wonderful simply went on too long. Seeing as most of them has nothing to do with the awards, it was a double sin. It made the thing interminably long.

Of course, the only good part about the show being long was that Seth kept on cracking jokes about it ("Quvenzhané Wallis was 9 when this show started..." cracked me up). I thought Seth was pretty good. "Boobies" was funny and felt very "Family Guy." I loved when he looked at the prompter and said, "I thought we took this one out..." and then read a lousy joke. I am fairly sure that was ad-libbed and real; it certainly made me laugh.

I 110% agree on the speeches being uninteresting and uninspiring. Most of the great moments in Oscar history are from surprising speeches, from Sally Field's "you like me, you really, really like me" to Roberto Benigni's over-the-top joy to Cuba Gooding Jr proving that "Show Me The Money!!" was not the most excited he could be. This is your 45 seconds to show the world your real personality. To waste it with a list of names no one really cares about is a shame. Thank those people in a heartfelt email to everyone you have ever known. But, use this moment for something more. Other than DDL, the best moment last night was Jennifer Lawrence tripping over her dress (and Ben Affleck almost coming to her rescue).

By the way, do you all know the person who has been named more than any other in acceptance speeches? This person has been thanked more often than GOD!

The answer is Harvey Weinstein, with 12 thank yous over the past 50 years... I heard him named at least once last night as well

-Jason "a post on the winners in a moment..." Evans

rthomas
02-25-2013, 10:23 AM
I have to agree with Shirley Bassey. She was amazing. Her singing Goldfinger made me want to watch that movie again for the umpteenth million time INSTEAD of the Oscars.

JasonEvans
02-25-2013, 10:52 AM
In terms of the winners, I thought last night was a fascinating exercise in something we almost never see... the lack of a dominant film. Think about how spread around the major awards were!

Argo - Best Pic and Best Screenplay
Lincoln - Best Actor
Silver Linings - Best Actress
Life of Pi - Best Director (and a slew of technical awards)
Les Mis - Best Supporting Actress
Django - Best Supporting Actor and Best Screenplay
Amour - Best Foreign Language Film

Of the 9 films nominated for Best Picture, only Beasts (which was just thrilled to be nominated in 3 major categories) and Zero Dark Thirty (which was probably stung by controversy over the torture scenes) failed to win a major award. There was no dominant film, which rarely happens.

And the crazy part about it is... that is just what most everyone was predicting. On twitter, I posted predictions in 13 categories. I got 10 of them right (missed on Sup Actor for Tommy Lee Jones, Screenplay for Zero Dark Thirty, and Animated Film for Paranorman). I think that's a pretty solid percentage but I was hardly picking longshots. It was a night where the Oscars honored so much of what was great in film last year. I liked it.

-Jason "fun night to love movies" Evans

duke74
02-25-2013, 11:06 AM
By the way, do you all know the person who has been named more than any other in acceptance speeches? This person has been thanked more often than GOD!

The answer is Harvey Weinstein, with 12 thank yous over the past 50 years... I heard him named at least once last night as well

-Jason "a post on the winners in a moment..." Evans

And in at least one joke.

Maybe I am a pill (that CPA-thing), but I thought some of Seth's jokes were silly and bordering on mean. I guess he has to balance reverence and irreverence...

The most offensive to me (yeah, call me sensitive about this...sorry) was Ted and Wahlberg. Just what we needed, an anti-semitic bear styling stereotypical canards. The twitterverse I follow also lit up over that. What was next, a reading of the "Protocol of the Elders of Zion?" Followed by how Jews control the media? Geesh. (If I veered into PP, I apologize...was not meant.)

Mal
02-25-2013, 11:51 AM
I thought Macfarlane was a breath of fresh air. It was a great production choice to have him speak into the commercial breaks, instead of the voice of God thing they usually do. He was, as brevity pointed out, actually a host. His somewhat outsider, somewhat unknown-ness, also allowed him to play that role, rather than be a figurehead put up to attract viewers, or a traditional standup comedian saddled with outsized expectations to make us crack up every time he opened his mouth. He reminded me at times of Bob Hope. I think, despite the acerbic edge and irreverence, he actually likes Hollywood and the movies, and it showed. My impression, having not actually seen/heard the guy outside of the context of the Family Guy universe, was that that work isn't the definition of him as a person, but rather just the facet of his personality and creativity that's become public. The guy can actually sing, too.

Agreed with some others that the gobs of music, while an interesting choice for a theme, was perhaps a little much. Mainly, the inclusion of the Chicago and Dreamgirls stuff. I don't have a problem with live performances of the nominated songs (and if you're going to show them, I disagree with JE - putting on 90 seconds is a disservice to the music). But if you're going to make a big deal about movie musicals with some kind of tribute, you can't use it to showcase stuff from less than a decade ago, leading into one of the current nominees. No Grease? Travolta was in the house. Where was West Side Story? Or any number of others that would have been more appropriate, less instant nostalgia, choices.

I also don't like Bond movies at all, so that was a complete waste of three minutes, as far as I was concerned. Admittedly, the woman singing Goldfinger was great, however.

Other quick thoughts: Good on Christoph Walz, but his win sucked a ton of energy out of the room. I think everyone came in expecting to give a teary, five minute ovation to DeNiro. Daniel Day-Lewis was hilarious. Affleck was so happy it was hard not to feel good for him. I laughed at Grant Henslov's line about "I know what you're thinking: that's the best looking trio of producers ever." Who knew Clooney could get onstage and not say anything? Was Russell Crowe that bad of a singer onscreen, too? How many times do we think Anne Hathaway practiced her fake spontaneous opening line to her speech?

rthomas
02-25-2013, 01:41 PM
How many times do we think Anne Hathaway practiced her fake spontaneous opening line to her speech?

I think she was just trying to point out the obvious.

tommy
02-25-2013, 01:47 PM
Finally, the speeches. I'm not really sure why winners just list off a bunch of names of industry executives instead of, you know, making a speech. (Even Stifler and Tarantino, who are in the business of writing, disappointed.)

Tarantino seemed obviously high on something, or more than a little drunk. And the guy can't manage to keep his top shirt button buttoned and his tie tied properly? Even for the Oscars? What event would be significant enough to get him to present himself like a professional? To me he came off like an immature slob and a jerk, no matter how good his movie might have been.

Indoor66
02-25-2013, 02:35 PM
Tarantino seemed obviously high on something, or more than a little drunk. And the guy can't manage to keep his top shirt button buttoned and his tie tied properly? Even for the Oscars? What event would be significant enough to get him to present himself like a professional? To me he came off like an immature slob and a jerk, no matter how good his movie might have been.

Sounds like he probably fit right in with the whole crowd.

Duvall
02-25-2013, 02:51 PM

It takes a lot more than an unbuttoned shirt to come across as an immature slob on a night hosted by Seth MacFarlane.

duke74
02-25-2013, 03:18 PM
FWIW, the NY Post's take on Seth's performance:

http://www.nypost.com/p/pagesix/seth_macfarlane_most_cringe_worthy_iIX77qciyNgIZC4 Mg818MP?utm_source=SFnewyorkpost&utm_medium=SFnewyorkpost

Jim3k
02-25-2013, 05:07 PM

http://www.nypost.com/p/pagesix/seth_macfarlane_most_cringe_worthy_iIX77qciyNgIZC4 Mg818MP?utm_source=SFnewyorkpost&utm_medium=SFnewyorkpost

A somewhat different take from the Mercury-News/Contra Costa Times' movie critic, Chuck Barney (http://www.contracostatimes.com/ci_22660630/oscars-2013-seth-macfarlane-worst-oscar-host-ever) who asks "Seth MacFarlane -- worst Oscar host ever?" His answer, no, but it was a mixed performance. I think Barney liked MacFarlane's self-deprecation.

Certainly, as Barney says, there were some memorable moments:

... there were classy moments, too. Among the highlights: a rousing segment in which Catherine Zeta-Jones, Jennifer Hudson, Hugh Jackman and Anne Hathaway paid homage to movie musicals "Chicago," "Dreamgirls," and "Les Miserables," and a moving performance of "The Way We Were" by Barbra Streisand during the memoriam sequence, in which she paid tribute to composer Marvin Hamlisch.

Not sure that MacFarlane can claim credit or be blamed for some of the production presentations.

Mudge
02-25-2013, 08:37 PM
And in at least one joke.

Maybe I am a pill (that CPA-thing), but I thought some of Seth's jokes were silly and bordering on mean. I guess he has to balance reverence and irreverence...

The most offensive to me (yeah, call me sensitive about this...sorry) was Ted and Wahlberg. Just what we needed, an anti-semitic bear styling stereotypical canards. The twitterverse I follow also lit up over that. What was next, a reading of the "Protocol of the Elders of Zion?" Followed by how Jews control the media? Geesh. (If I veered into PP, I apologize...was not meant.)

That bit constituted anti-semitism? Whew, tough crowd... it's absurd (to me) that acknowledging the true state of the industry is always considered such a hot potato-- nothing the bear said was untrue (as any power-broker in Hollywood will acknowledge-- in private), it's just viewed as unhelpful, in a variety of ways (and therefore, not for public discourse).

Mudge
02-25-2013, 08:44 PM
I thought Macfarlane was a breath of fresh air. It was a great production choice to have him speak into the commercial breaks, instead of the voice of God thing they usually do. He was, as brevity pointed out, actually a host. His somewhat outsider, somewhat unknown-ness, also allowed him to play that role, rather than be a figurehead put up to attract viewers, or a traditional standup comedian saddled with outsized expectations to make us crack up every time he opened his mouth. He reminded me at times of Bob Hope. I think, despite the acerbic edge and irreverence, he actually likes Hollywood and the movies, and it showed. My impression, having not actually seen/heard the guy outside of the context of the Family Guy universe, was that that work isn't the definition of him as a person, but rather just the facet of his personality and creativity that's become public. The guy can actually sing, too.

Agreed with some others that the gobs of music, while an interesting choice for a theme, was perhaps a little much. Mainly, the inclusion of the Chicago and Dreamgirls stuff. I don't have a problem with live performances of the nominated songs (and if you're going to show them, I disagree with JE - putting on 90 seconds is a disservice to the music). But if you're going to make a big deal about movie musicals with some kind of tribute, you can't use it to showcase stuff from less than a decade ago, leading into one of the current nominees. No Grease? Travolta was in the house. Where was West Side Story? Or any number of others that would have been more appropriate, less instant nostalgia, choices.

I also don't like Bond movies at all, so that was a complete waste of three minutes, as far as I was concerned. Admittedly, the woman singing Goldfinger was great, however.

Other quick thoughts: Good on Christoph Walz, but his win sucked a ton of energy out of the room. I think everyone came in expecting to give a teary, five minute ovation to DeNiro. Daniel Day-Lewis was hilarious. Affleck was so happy it was hard not to feel good for him. I laughed at Grant Henslov's line about "I know what you're thinking: that's the best looking trio of producers ever." Who knew Clooney could get onstage and not say anything? Was Russell Crowe that bad of a singer onscreen, too? How many times do we think Anne Hathaway practiced her fake spontaneous opening line to her speech?

I thought that was exactly what to expect from Clooney-- if you read about him, he is a very self-deprecating guy, and he is already very comfortable in his own skin-- he doesn't need any further acknowledgement from the Academy or Hollywood, and the no-name producer was enjoying probably his only moment in the sun ever (e.g.- "best-looking trio" line), and, of course, everyone (including Clooney) wanted to hear from Affleck, after being left off the director list (and spending time in a near-Nicolas Cage like wilderness of bad films, since Good Will Hunting), so OF COURSE Clooney let the other two guys talk-- that didn't surprise me at all.

duke74
02-25-2013, 08:59 PM
That bit constituted anti-semitism? Whew, tough crowd... it's absurd (to me) that acknowledging the true state of the industry is always considered such a hot potato-- nothing the bear said was untrue (as any power-broker in Hollywood will acknowledge-- in private), it's just viewed as unhelpful, in a variety of ways (and therefore, not for public discourse).

"True state" of the industry? ... "nothing the bear said was untrue" ... Anti-semitism and ignorance clearly resides on DBR as well. I am truly disappointed. I gotta go and sharpen my horns as I make matsoh from a child's blood. Passover IS coming, you know.

Mudge
02-25-2013, 10:02 PM
"True state" of the industry? ... "nothing the bear said was untrue" ... Anti-semitism and ignorance clearly resides on DBR as well. I am truly disappointed. I gotta go and sharpen my horns as I make matsoh from a child's blood. Passover IS coming, you know.

Again, you have to have reeeeaaaallly thin skin, to call the bear's comments (or mine) anti-semitism... is it permitted to discuss this factual state of affairs at all, anywhere, in your mind? As for ignorance, with multiple Jewish family members working in high-level positions in Hollywood, I might have more awareness of the lay of the land there than you give me credit for.

Olympic Fan
02-26-2013, 12:37 AM

there is one thing in the Post review that made me scratch my head:

MacFarlane drew ire for his song “We Saw Your Boobs,” in which he name-checked Theron, Kristen Stewart, Kate Winslet and other starlets who’ve taken off their tops for film roles. A “from the future” William Shatner wasn’t entirely joking when he called it an "incredibly offensive song that upsets a lot of actresses in the audience." During a cutaway, Theron did not appear amused.

I saw that too -- there's a cut of her positively glowering at MacFarlane when he mentioned her name.

BUT ... less than a minute later, she's on stage (in a different dress) dancing with Channing Tatum.

The Boobs song was taped, while the Theron-Tatum dance was live.

So I THINK the cutaway to the angry-looking Theron was part of the taped presentation -- and was part of the joke. You may or ma not think the Boobs song was tasteless (I thought it was outstanding), but I don't see using Theron's reaction to rip it.

tommy
02-26-2013, 12:55 AM
So I THINK the cutaway to the angry-looking Theron was part of the taped presentation -- and was part of the joke.

It 100% was part of the joke.

brevity
02-26-2013, 12:59 AM
So I THINK the cutaway to the angry-looking Theron was part of the taped presentation -- and was part of the joke. You may or ma not think the Boobs song was tasteless (I thought it was outstanding), but I don't see using Theron's reaction to rip it.

That's exactly what happened. You see an appalled Naomi Watts, cheerful non-nude Jennifer Lawrence, and unamused Charlize Theron, all in different dresses than the ones they were wearing that night. It's a little off-putting, particularly since Watts appears first and is not known for doing comedy sketches.

Dukeface88
02-26-2013, 03:42 AM
That's exactly what happened. You see an appalled Naomi Watts, cheerful non-nude Jennifer Lawrence, and unamused Charlize Theron, all in different dresses than the ones they were wearing that night. It's a little off-putting, particularly since Watts appears first and is not known for doing comedy sketches.

Personally, I didn't even notice Naomi Watts' expression; I was too busy laughing at the guy next to her. But yeah, no way that wasn't taped.

Billy Dat
02-26-2013, 01:55 PM
Classic backstage mutual flirting between Jack Nicholson and Jennifer Lawrence
http://www.eonline.com/news/391714/jennifer-lawrence-and-that-awesome-moment-when-she-met-jack-nicholson-backstage-at-the-oscars

sue71, esq
02-26-2013, 07:20 PM
I didn't understand the choice of going with a theme this year (music of the movies, or something along those lines). It seemed a bit odd to me- disjointed and unclear how they worked together. Like they were trying too hard to make a production out of the show rather than highlighting the films/actors/etc that were nominated this year.

JasonEvans
02-26-2013, 09:59 PM
I thought that was exactly what to expect from Clooney-- if you read about him, he is a very self-deprecating guy, and he is already very comfortable in his own skin-- he doesn't need any further acknowledgement from the Academy or Hollywood, and the no-name producer was enjoying probably his only moment in the sun ever (e.g.- "best-looking trio" line), and, of course, everyone (including Clooney) wanted to hear from Affleck, after being left off the director list (and spending time in a near-Nicolas Cage like wilderness of bad films, since Good Will Hunting), so OF COURSE Clooney let the other two guys talk-- that didn't surprise me at all.

Whoa!! Grant Heslov is not at all a "no name" producer. We see total unknowns all the time up there accepting Oscars and he does not even begin to qualify.

First of all, he is an actor who has had a career many actors would kill for. I remember him the most from True Lies, where he played Arnold Schwarzeneger's CIA sidekick (the one who wasn't Tom Arnold). It was not a small role in the film. He has had a significant role in The Scorpion King and played Don Hewitt in Good Night and Good Luck. In the 90s and early 2000s, he was in dozens of films and he was someone you would absolutely recognize from movie-to-movie.

He is a very good screenwriter, having written both Good Night and Good Luck as well as The Ides of March. He got Oscar nominations for both screenplays. He also directed The Men Who Stare at Goats.

In the mid-2000s, he and his buddy George Clooney formed a production company. That production company has made many big films, the latest of which is Argo. Grant may not be nearly as famous as George or Ben Affleck, but he is far, far, far from the no-name producers we often see accepting Oscars.

And you better get used to see him on stage because he is the screenwriter and producer of a film called The Monuments Men, which is being released the week before Christmas. It is a pretty safe bet he will be up for a slew of awards for it as well. It is the story of a crew of art historians and museum curators who are racing against time to save some of Europe's greatest works of art from Hitler's grasp during World War II. The movie is based on the bestselling book "The Monuments Men: Allied Heroes, Nazi Thieves and the Greatest Treasure Hunt in History." The film has a fairly decent cast...

Matt Damon, George Clooney, Daniel Craig, Bill Murray, John Goodman, Jean Dujardin, Cate Blanchette, and Hugh Bonneville (Downton!!!!).

-Jason "is that the most impressive cast you've seen since at least Oceans 11 or what?!?!" Evans

NashvilleDevil
02-27-2013, 08:11 PM
Whoa!! Grant Heslov is not at all a "no name" producer. We see total unknowns all the time up there accepting Oscars and he does not even begin to qualify.

First of all, he is an actor who has had a career many actors would kill for. I remember him the most from True Lies, where he played Arnold Schwarzeneger's CIA sidekick (the one who wasn't Tom Arnold). It was not a small role in the film. He has had a significant role in The Scorpion King and played Don Hewitt in Good Night and Good Luck. In the 90s and early 2000s, he was in dozens of films and he was someone you would absolutely recognize from movie-to-movie.

He is a very good screenwriter, having written both Good Night and Good Luck as well as The Ides of March. He got Oscar nominations for both screenplays. He also directed The Men Who Stare at Goats.

In the mid-2000s, he and his buddy George Clooney formed a production company. That production company has made many big films, the latest of which is Argo. Grant may not be nearly as famous as George or Ben Affleck, but he is far, far, far from the no-name producers we often see accepting Oscars.

And you better get used to see him on stage because he is the screenwriter and producer of a film called The Monuments Men, which is being released the week before Christmas. It is a pretty safe bet he will be up for a slew of awards for it as well. It is the story of a crew of art historians and museum curators who are racing against time to save some of Europe's greatest works of art from Hitler's grasp during World War II. The movie is based on the bestselling book "The Monuments Men: Allied Heroes, Nazi Thieves and the Greatest Treasure Hunt in History." The film has a fairly decent cast...

Matt Damon, George Clooney, Daniel Craig, Bill Murray, John Goodman, Jean Dujardin, Cate Blanchette, and Hugh Bonneville (Downton!!!!).

-Jason "is that the most impressive cast you've seen since at least Oceans 11 or what?!?!" Evans

I thought you were going to say RED; Willis, Mirren, Malkovich, Freeman, Richard Dreyfuss, Mary Louise-Parker, Brian Cox. Borgnine! James Remar who was in Djagno twice!! :)

JasonEvans
02-27-2013, 10:48 PM
I thought you were going to say RED; Willis, Mirren, Malkovich, Freeman, Richard Dreyfuss, Mary Louise-Parker, Brian Cox. Borgnine! James Remar who was in Djagno twice!! :)

If it was the mid-late 1990s, that would be an impressive cast, but it has gotten a bit long in the tooth since then. Craig, Clooney, and Damon are probably three of the top 10 stars in Hollywood today. They each have tremendous brand equity at this point from a series of high quality films with few "misses." They are all major Above The Title actors in a way that none of the Red folks are (except maybe Bruce Willis).

-Jason "close, but not quite" Evans

NashvilleDevil
02-28-2013, 12:13 AM
If it was the mid-late 1990s, that would be an impressive cast, but it has gotten a bit long in the tooth since then. Craig, Clooney, and Damon are probably three of the top 10 stars in Hollywood today. They each have tremendous brand equity at this point from a series of high quality films with few "misses." They are all major Above The Title actors in a way that none of the Red folks are (except maybe Bruce Willis).

-Jason "close, but not quite" Evans

My attempt at humor didn't work.

JasonEvans
02-28-2013, 02:40 PM
My attempt at humor didn't work.

Actually, my attempt at getting humor is what seems to have failed. Sorry.

-JE

Mudge
02-28-2013, 05:45 PM

While you make a number of valid points, I think you are missing the general point (which I made a bit cavalierly/dismissively): If we put Ben Affleck, Grant Heslov, and George Clooney on a stage, and play the old Sesame Street game called "one of these things is not like the others", which one is virtually everyone (including little kids, who know nothing about show business) going to pick out? I think even Grant Heslov was clearly (and wittily) acknowledging that it would be him, with his joke about "the best looking trio of directors, ever"... I don't think anyone would say "Well... I know Ben Affleck, because he directed and starred in the movie, and of course I know Grant Heslov-- who wouldn't know him!... But, tell me-- just who is that silent, mysterious, bearded man on the right-- and I wonder what he thinks about all this hullaballoo?"

Mudge
02-28-2013, 05:49 PM

Who/what/where is this Djagno, of which you speak-- and is the "D" silent-- or is it the "g", like in the Spaghetti Westerns (e.g.- Bargnani or Gigli [Affleck's previous film masterpiece])?