PDA

View Full Version : Dickey Ruled Ineligible for Basketball

ACCBBallFan
08-18-2007, 10:06 PM
http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/081807aaa.html

Dickey Ruled Ineligible for Basketball

Tech senior center to be sidelined for fall semester

This helps UNC who plays GA Tech in third ACC game but may not help Duke who does not play GA Tech until late February.

Getting GA Tech earlier is beneficial also since they do not have a proven PG but may develop one as season progresses.

Upon further reflection, that UNC @ GA Tech is probably around Jan 19 which may be second semester with RaSean Dickey possibly again academically elgible.

So impact is GA Tech @ Indiana in ACC/B10 challenge but GA Tech rarely wins on road anyway, and also any other OOC GA TEch loses that it might have won with Dickey.

May actually help them get Lawal oriented quicker.

Olympic Fan
08-19-2007, 11:18 AM
This isn't that big a deal for the Jackets.

Dickey will miss the first semester and if he does what he should in the class, he'll re-join the team the minute the first semester ends, which will be around Dec. 10-15 -- meaning he'll probably miss 6-8 games.

Unless his academic woes continue, he'll be back in full shape and worked into the lineup by the the ACC season rolls around (not sure if Tech has one of those early December ACC games ... if so, that will be a factor). He's a senior and a post player ... it's not like they're losing their PG or a young guy that really needs the work.

Now, losing a guy for SECOND semester -- as Tech lost Clinch last year -- THAT is a big deal.

BTW, Clinch is back and might see some action at point, although it looks like the freshman from Tennessee will be their likely starter at the point.

Back to Dickey. He's a really interesting player to me -- sort of a 21st century version of Alaa Abdelnaby. By that I mean he's a very talented guy who has never had a very good work ethic.

For three years, Abdelnaby was a disappointment at Duke. But going into his senior season, he realized that it was his last chance to secure his future. For a year, he worked like a demon, turned himself into an effective post player and earned a guarnateed fortune as a first-round NBA draft pick.

Dickey has been equally disappointing in his first three seasons. I remember seeing him as a prep player and absolutely marveling at what he could do -- when he wanted to do it. Remember last year, when Hewitt didn't start him for the first part of the season in an effort to light a fire under his butt.

Before this news, I was wondering if Dickey would do what Alaa did and get it all together for his senior year. It still could happen, but this will just make it harder.

riverside6
08-19-2007, 12:09 PM
Keep in mind also that the Yellow Jackets have two returning players capable of filling in for Ra'Sean Dickey (http://www.scacchoops.com/forms/tt_player_page.asp?reporttype=Details&total=yes&hleague=&howner=all&hplayer=134&pp=yes) in Alade Aminu (http://www.scacchoops.com/forms/tt_player_page.asp?reporttype=Details&total=yes&hleague=0&howner=all&hplayer=264&pp=yes) and Zach Peacock (http://www.scacchoops.com/forms/tt_player_page.asp?reporttype=Details&total=yes&hleague=0&howner=all&hplayer=288&pp=yes).

JasonEvans
08-19-2007, 01:03 PM
For three years, Abdelnaby was a disappointment at Duke. But going into his senior season, he realized that it was his last chance to secure his future. For a year, he worked like a demon, turned himself into an effective post player and earned a guarnateed fortune as a first-round NBA draft pick.

Some folks may know this but I lived next door to Alaa at Duke. We spent more than a little time partying together. Toward the end of his junior year, I was having dinner one night with Alaa's roommate and a few other friends and the conversation turned to Alaa's pro potential. I opined that there was no way on Earth that Alaa would be an NBA draft pick. I told my friends that Alaa probably had a nice future ahead of him playing in Europe if he wanted but I could not see him making it in The League.

I don't think there has ever been a Duke player I so completely underestimated.

Alaa ended up making almost $3 million from his 5 NBA seasons with the Blazers, Milwaukee, Boston, Sacto, and the Sixers.

-Jason "if memory serves, he had a nice month or so for the Celtics at one point and looked like he might have a lasting future... but it weas not to be" Evans

SilkyJ
08-19-2007, 02:36 PM
Its certainly not a huge loss b/c of the personell they have to back up Dickey, but he has shown some flashes of brilliance and is a better player than he has really shown, imo. He certainly had a few good games against us, although that happens with our defense and the way we kinda leave our center out on an island...

riverside6
08-19-2007, 02:42 PM
Its certainly not a huge loss b/c of the personell they have to back up Dickey, but he has shown some flashes of brilliance and is a better player than he has really shown, imo. He certainly had a few good games against us, although that happens with our defense and the way we kinda leave our center out on an island...
He is definitely the best post option they had, and without Crittenton they are going to probably need a good post player to help create easy baskets. Without him, too much of their offense will come from the jumpshot.

Classof06
08-20-2007, 04:30 PM
I agree, I think losing Dickey hurts Ga Tech quite a bit. Not that I was scared before I heard this, but now I'm even more confident that we'll be able to take care of Ga Tech when we play them, especially given the fact that our frontcourt is thin. If you don't remember, Dickey dropped a game-high 21 points on us the first time we played them last year, it was probably his best game of the season, but still.

The biggest implication of Dickey's suspension is that Gani Lawal now gets thrown into the fire; he has enough talent to where that can be considered a good thing, but for now I'd call it a TBD.

ACCBBallFan
08-21-2007, 02:29 AM
With GA Tech, you pretty much just have to look and see where the game is being played. If it is in Atlanta, good chance Tech wins. If it is away as is the case with Duke this coming season, almost certain Tech loses. They have won something like 4 road games total in past 3 seasons.

Wander
08-21-2007, 10:00 AM
You guys are making too much of this. He'll probably be back well in time for ACC play. And GT has the guys to replace him if he's not. He's hasn't been all that great anyway.

Olympic Fan
08-21-2007, 10:03 AM
I agree, I think losing Dickey hurts Ga Tech quite a bit. Not that I was scared before I heard this, but now I'm even more confident that we'll be able to take care of Ga Tech when we play them, especially given the fact that our frontcourt is thin. If you don't remember, Dickey dropped a game-high 21 points on us the first time we played them last year, it was probably his best game of the season, but still.

But you're talking like Dickey will be out for the season, when in fact, he'll almost certainly be back after 6 or 7 games. He's only out for first semester -- and that means until first semester ends, usually around Dec. 10-12.

Unless he screws up in the fall semester, his penalty won't have any impact on any Duke-Georgia Tech matchups and won't "hurt Georgia Tech quite a bit."

riverside6
08-21-2007, 10:46 AM
Yep, I agree, the fall semester isn't that important. If anything it will develop some depth, and as long as he doesn't interrupt the team's chemistry when he returns it shouldn't hurt them much. In terms of a NCAA bid, I'm not sure Tech has a shot, but if they do the selection committee will take into account Dickey didn't play also.

All in all, not a huge deal.