PDA

View Full Version : Duke Track At ACCs

BlueDevil16
02-22-2013, 09:34 PM
Currently, after Day 2 of 3, the Duke Women's team leads the ACC while the men's team is in 3rd

roywhite
02-22-2013, 09:51 PM
Currently, after Day 2 of 3, the Duke Women's team leads the ACC while the men's team is in 3rd

Thanks for the alert.

Here's an update from goduke.com

Rock, Bottorff Earn ACC Gold to Highlight Day Two (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22490&SPID=1835&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=206484271&DB_OEM_ID=4200)

BlueDevil16
02-23-2013, 11:55 PM
Duke Women placed 3rd, men 5th, highest ever finishes for both teams in the 12 team ACC. Things are looking good.

uh_no
02-24-2013, 12:10 AM
Duke Women placed 3rd, men 5th, highest ever finishes for both teams in the 12 team ACC. Things are looking good.

I have to ask why you think so. Certainly it is awesome that they finished so well, but this is hardly indicative of long term success. I apologize for being pessimistic, but the department has demonstrated a lack of support for the program by replacing the wally wade track with a new track and a few rows of bleachers....hardly a step up. It's unlikely the team will ever be able to host ACCs outdoors (as they did last year) and the university has no indoor track.

I'm sure we will continue to have good individual performances, but I think this is about the zenith for the track teams.

Either way, kudos for the performances (especially wins by Ian Rock in the Hep, Juliet Bottorff in the 5k, and Cydney Ross in the 800m), and I wish the university as a whole was more supportive of the track program.

Either way, I look to some good individual performances (especially perhaps by curtis beach) in the spring.

roywhite
02-24-2013, 07:14 AM
Good showing by the track teams.

Somewhat similar to diving, Duke has developed a niche of excellence in combined-event competition such as decathlon and heptathlon. A lot of the credit there should go to associate head coach Shawn Wilbourn (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22491&SPID=1835&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=1577620&Q_SEASON=2012).

The other area of consistent strength seems to be in the middle distances, esp. for the women. I recall some of the excellence Duke had in those events in the early to mid 1970's, so it's nice to see that part of the program progressing well. We don't have the talent in the sprint events that other conference schools like Clemson and Florida State have, but overall the track program seems to be making good use of it's resources.

BlueDevil16
02-24-2013, 10:16 AM
I have to ask why you think so. Certainly it is awesome that they finished so well, but this is hardly indicative of long term success. I apologize for being pessimistic, but the department has demonstrated a lack of support for the program by replacing the wally wade track with a new track and a few rows of bleachers....hardly a step up. It's unlikely the team will ever be able to host ACCs outdoors (as they did last year) and the university has no indoor track.

I'm sure we will continue to have good individual performances, but I think this is about the zenith for the track teams.

Either way, kudos for the performances (especially wins by Ian Rock in the Hep, Juliet Bottorff in the 5k, and Cydney Ross in the 800m), and I wish the university as a whole was more supportive of the track program.

Either way, I look to some good individual performances (especially perhaps by curtis beach) in the spring.

I doubt Duke will ever be Oregon when it comes to track, but recently the University has given more funding to the team. From what I know, the team is excited to have its own stadium, as all of the events will now take place in one place (compared to on East and West Campus) and they won't have to walk up/down Wade's steps. In terms of recruiting and youth, the teams are looking good and keep in mind that Curtis Beach redshirted this indoor season to have a full season next year. While it would be nice for both teams to get more sprinters and throwers (to have more all around teams and compete for ACC Championships) both teams look to be headed in a positive direction.

noworries
02-24-2013, 11:07 AM
Good showing by the track teams.

Somewhat similar to diving, Duke has developed a niche of excellence in combined-event competition such as decathlon and heptathlon. A lot of the credit there should go to associate head coach Shawn Wilbourn (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22491&SPID=1835&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=1577620&Q_SEASON=2012).

The other area of consistent strength seems to be in the middle distances, esp. for the women. I recall some of the excellence Duke had in those events in the early to mid 1970's, so it's nice to see that part of the program progressing well. We don't have the talent in the sprint events that other conference schools like Clemson and Florida State have, but overall the track program seems to be making good use of it's resources.

Unbelievably talented. FSU also has some talent in the distance, as they swept I think it was the 3k. Clemson sprinters and hurdlers are fantastic. Spent Wednesday-Saturday at the track and saw some incredible athletes.

uh_no
02-24-2013, 11:55 AM
I doubt Duke will ever be Oregon when it comes to track, but recently the University has given more funding to the team. From what I know, the team is excited to have its own stadium, as all of the events will now take place in one place (compared to on East and West Campus) and they won't have to walk up/down Wade's steps. In terms of recruiting and youth, the teams are looking good and keep in mind that Curtis Beach redshirted this indoor season to have a full season next year. While it would be nice for both teams to get more sprinters and throwers (to have more all around teams and compete for ACC Championships) both teams look to be headed in a positive direction.

It's a stretch to call the new track a "stadium"...IMO..."facility" might be a better word. Everything I can find, including the renderings I saw maybe a year ago, indicate it's a track with some bleachers (sold as "clad in duke brick"). While i'm sure it will be great for them to have their own place, I can't imagine it's large enough to host ACCs (which they did last year, and it was awesome), or that the Blue Devil Invitational will have the same sort luster that it has had in wally wade

Obviously, in all official communication, the team has to toe the line...I may have to ask some of my track alumni buddies to see if they can get any inside scoop on what the deal is.

Either way, I stand by my assessment that it's likely the pinnacle of the track program, which in some ways is sad...but With a program seemingly focused on distance and field events, it will be hard to do much better without some great sprinters....and with limited scholarships, you really have to dedicate them to sprinters if you want to win...and i'm not sure I see that happening

BlueDevil16
02-24-2013, 03:27 PM
It's a stretch to call the new track a "stadium"...IMO..."facility" might be a better word. Everything I can find, including the renderings I saw maybe a year ago, indicate it's a track with some bleachers (sold as "clad in duke brick"). While i'm sure it will be great for them to have their own place, I can't imagine it's large enough to host ACCs (which they did last year, and it was awesome), or that the Blue Devil Invitational will have the same sort luster that it has had in wally wade

Obviously, in all official communication, the team has to toe the line...I may have to ask some of my track alumni buddies to see if they can get any inside scoop on what the deal is.

Either way, I stand by my assessment that it's likely the pinnacle of the track program, which in some ways is sad...but With a program seemingly focused on distance and field events, it will be hard to do much better without some great sprinters....and with limited scholarships, you really have to dedicate them to sprinters if you want to win...and i'm not sure I see that happening

I agree, it would certainly be nice for more seats to be added to the new stadium (which I'll fully admit is just a track with some bleachers that can probably fit at most 1000 people) and I know there has been some talk about that but I'm not sure how serious it is. The main problem is that theres a limited amount of combined track and XC scholarships and giving more to distance runners makes sense (as they can run all three seasons) compared to track runners which just do 1-2 based off their event (most do two, but some throwers like the javelin only do outdoor). Currently the men's team doesn't recruit sprinters if I recall correctly, and the women's team doesn't really have any for anything below the 400. If we started getting some, that would be amazing, but with the limited scholarships I'm not sure if thats going to happen (hopefully it will). I guess I'll agree with you, until the team gets more scholarships (I'm pretty sure the men's team doesn't have the NCAA max amount, not sure about the women's team) or finds a way to get talented sprinters somehow, 3rd and 5th are probably about as high as the teams can go.

sagegrouse
02-24-2013, 04:22 PM
I agree, it would certainly be nice for more seats to be added to the new stadium (which I'll fully admit is just a track with some bleachers that can probably fit at most 1000 people) and I know there has been some talk about that but I'm not sure how serious it is. The main problem is that theres a limited amount of combined track and XC scholarships and giving more to distance runners makes sense (as they can run all three seasons) compared to track runners which just do 1-2 based off their event (most do two, but some throwers like the javelin only do outdoor). Currently the men's team doesn't recruit sprinters if I recall correctly, and the women's team doesn't really have any for anything below the 400. If we started getting some, that would be amazing, but with the limited scholarships I'm not sure if thats going to happen (hopefully it will). I guess I'll agree with you, until the team gets more scholarships (I'm pretty sure the men's team doesn't have the NCAA max amount, not sure about the women's team) or finds a way to get talented sprinters somehow, 3rd and 5th are probably about as high as the teams can go.

I wouldn't mind iif the track team were able to field some world class sprinters from the football team. :):D;)

sage