PDA

View Full Version : MOTM: Duke vs. Virginia Tech (Feb 21, 2013)

JBDuke
02-22-2013, 01:48 AM
Who was Man of the Match in Duke's 88-56 smackdown of Virginia Tech?

CPDUKEGUY24
02-22-2013, 04:34 AM
Seth lead the way, the others followed. Mason has a solid performance too, especially playing against the beast that Raines has become. Im loving what Tyler is doing as well, he is an integral part of this squad! Tonight, however, was Seth's night, he made some spectacular shots and was steady the whole way through.

Jim3k
02-22-2013, 05:22 AM
I voted for Josh--mainly because he stepped up big time in this game. He was scoring away from the basket and rebounded well. He also rotated properly on defense to prevent any Hokie not named Green from getting hot. I know it was a 32 point victory and the bulk of the offense came from Seth, but Hairston's contribution was well beyond his norm and significantly contributed to the win. I think it should be rewarded.

greybeard
02-22-2013, 07:12 AM
Seth for the reasons stated.

What interested me most, however, was the promise showed by Marshall in just two plays. Marshall displayed great footwork, timing, and vision on one play in particular, when he rolled to the basket after setting a high screen, slowed down inside the lane on the right side, angled down towards the baseline but not too much to let his defender to slip over the top and intercept the pass. Marshall caught it with advantage and flowed into a terrific finish. The shot didn't go in but was an impressive display of talent nontheless. Had he made the shot the missives who hand such things out like candy at a kids' party would have given the passer an assist. The play was created by Marshall--the passer, a bit player, simply followed Marshall's lead. Marshall, once he gets really comfortable with mareuvering in a new way (the metatarsal) and the speed and skills of the big time game, is going to be impactful in the years to come. Misses now don't bother me. Marshall sees, understands, and creates exceptionally well. A self learner--something that cannot be taught.

The same skill set was on display when Marshall went after the shot on a driver from the otherside of the lane. He went after it in an Anthony Davis type way, coming across at an angle that wasexcellent, from behind on the guy's left with a slight angle in that altered the shooter's trajectory in order to avoid a block. What made the play Davis-like was coming from behind the play such that the shooter had little time to adjust and there was no chance of the block/shot altering attemt drawing a foul. Again, I am not troubled by the kid's having made an adjustment to shoot it high off the backboard to avoid the block. Again, Marshall watches, in this case I'm beating Davis, and figures it out, is still tweaking it (see above). Soon, real soon, he'll see/feel it, experiment until he knows that he feels/understands and can execute with nuance to make it work.

Next season you might begin to see a game from Marshall that is superior to those of his brothers. The kid "knows."

By the way, I agree with the insights about Josh's play, beginning to show promise off a mid range game that could well add a dimension that Duke has been lacking since Singler. Johnson too, I say play around the basket that reminded me of some old greats. Bobby Dandridge, Bob Love. The kid some watch some film.

sagegrouse
02-22-2013, 07:18 AM
Curry was an obvious choice, and I voted for him. mason, however, also had a heck of a game: 13 points, 12 boards, 5 assists, 3 blocks.

Kudos also the Ryan-replacement trio of Josh, Alex and Amile: 23 points and 9 rebounds.

sagegrouse

75Crazie
02-22-2013, 08:41 AM
I'm not sure how you can vote for anybody other than Curry, who finally had a great game at the school that snubbed him. I didn't notice any "Who's your daddy" cheer this time.

MCFinARL
02-22-2013, 08:48 AM

What interested me most, however, was the promise showed by Marshall in just two plays. Marshall displayed great footwork, timing, and vision on one play in particular, when he rolled to the basket after setting a high screen, slowed down inside the lane on the right side, angled down towards the baseline but not too much to let his defender to slip over the top and intercept the pass. Marshall caught it with advantage and flowed into a terrific finish. The shot didn't go in but was an impressive display of talent nontheless. Had he made the shot the missives who hand such things out like candy at a kids' party would have given the passer an assist. The play was created by Marshall--the passer, a bit player, simply followed Marshall's lead. Marshall, once he gets really comfortable with mareuvering in a new way (the metatarsal) and the speed and skills of the big time game, is going to be impactful in the years to come. Misses now don't bother me. Marshall sees, understands, and creates exceptionally well. A self learner--something that cannot be taught.

The same skill set was on display when Marshall went after the shot on a driver from the otherside of the lane. He went after it in an Anthony Davis type way, coming across at an angle that wasexcellent, from behind on the guy's left with a slight angle in that altered the shooter's trajectory in order to avoid a block. What made the play Davis-like was coming from behind the play such that the shooter had little time to adjust and there was no chance of the block/shot altering attemt drawing a foul. Again, I am not troubled by the kid's having made an adjustment to shoot it high off the backboard to avoid the block. Again, Marshall watches, in this case I'm beating Davis, and figures it out, is still tweaking it (see above). Soon, real soon, he'll see/feel it, experiment until he knows that he feels/understands and can execute with nuance to make it work.

Next season you might begin to see a game from Marshall that is superior to those of his brothers. The kid "knows."

By the way, I agree with the insights about Josh's play, beginning to show promise off a mid range game that could well add a dimension that Duke has been lacking since Singler. Johnson too, I say play around the basket that reminded me of some old greats. Bobby Dandridge, Bob Love. The kid some watch some film.

Who's Johnson? Jefferson?

fogey
02-22-2013, 09:00 AM

I agree with this, and believe Marshall will be HUGE for this team. One thing not yet mentioned- he is diligent about boxing out his man. He may not get every rebound when he is in, but the guy he is guarding sure doesn't. Marshall knows how to do it- gets lower, sticks his butt back into the guy, and extends his arms out to the side to feel lateral movement from him to allow for adjustment. As much as I love big brother, he NEVER blocks out, and that is one reason we give up so many offensive rebounds.

It is interesting to compare Marshall with Brian Zoubek as a frosh. I always felt Z had potential, and it took 3+ years for him to emerge and help win the 2010 NC. LOVED the guy, his attitude, unselfish play, etc. At this stage, Marshall has not had too much playing time, but the glimpses show much of the Z attitude- hustle, all team, dirty work. But his upside is tremendous. He will become an extremely valuable part next year and beyond, and will also develop post moves we grow to depend on to balance the rest of what will be a tremendous offense going forward.

Did I mention I like Marshall? :D

jipops
02-22-2013, 09:03 AM
This may have been Josh's best game as a Blue Devil. But I went with Seth because he clearly set the tone in the 1st half and made this a blow out.

devildeac
02-22-2013, 09:17 AM
In response to the hokies' question of "Who's your daddy?" I'm voting for Seth;).

greybeard
02-22-2013, 10:07 AM
Who's Johnson? Jefferson?

What can I say? will you buy "I watched the Johnson-Bird 30-30 shortly before writing this?" Didn't think so. :o

Durham Thunder
02-22-2013, 10:08 AM
Just think what a lethal Player of the Year he would've been, had he been 100% from the onset.

Native
02-22-2013, 10:11 AM
Gave it to Josh. Everyone played great, but this was Josh's best game in a Duke uniform IMO.

ArnieMc
02-22-2013, 11:29 AM
Although Curry's 3's made him an obvious choice, I gave it to Rasheed. He not only had an excellent stat line - 17 points (7/11, 3/4 from 3), 5 boards, 2 assists, and 2 steals, but he also did an excellent job enthusiastically guarding Erick Green without fouling. I was very impressed with his defense.

greybeard
02-22-2013, 10:54 PM
I agree with this, and believe Marshall will be HUGE for this team. One thing not yet mentioned- he is diligent about boxing out his man. He may not get every rebound when he is in, but the guy he is guarding sure doesn't. Marshall knows how to do it- gets lower, sticks his butt back into the guy, and extends his arms out to the side to feel lateral movement from him to allow for adjustment. As much as I love big brother, he NEVER blocks out, and that is one reason we give up so many offensive rebounds.

It is interesting to compare Marshall with Brian Zoubek as a frosh. I always felt Z had potential, and it took 3+ years for him to emerge and help win the 2010 NC. LOVED the guy, his attitude, unselfish play, etc. At this stage, Marshall has not had too much playing time, but the glimpses show much of the Z attitude- hustle, all team, dirty work. But his upside is tremendous. He will become an extremely valuable part next year and beyond, and will also develop post moves we grow to depend on to balance the rest of what will be a tremendous offense going forward.

Did I mention I like Marshall? :D

Not just "interesting," very interesting. Insightful too. But, unlike Zoubek, I believe it unlikely that Marshall will have to adjust his style of play to fit with a scheme that doesn't suite him but rather the scheme will be adjusted to play off his strengths. As I've said many times, when Zoubek arrived at Duke he displayed what I saw as an uncanny ability to see where passing lanes to open space in the middle would arise as the ball was swung, and was excellent in making his defender shift to guard the baseline, and then time a move to the space only to be made to wait until the defender arrived and Zoubek was made to play shield and hold which was oh so not his game. I think that Zoubek's success as a senior in the unique role he carved out for himself was not simply a function of "attitude, unselfish play, etc.," but also of his vision, his understanding of the Gestalt of the game. Marshall I think is far smoother than Zoubek ever was, and his game more full of nuance and flexibility.

Marshall needs those other qualities that Zoubek had and developed, but I do not know that that has to manifest in what convention calls playing hard. I think that this kid might be extremely good at evoking aggression/force from a defender and using it against him. We'll see.