PDA

View Full Version : Duke FB Players in the NFL Draft

loran16
02-21-2013, 02:41 PM
Someone should've started this already.

Conner Vernon is at the combine. Sean Renfree, despite his injury, is somehow picking up talk from Peter King of SI (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130218/peter-king-monday-morning-quarterback-offseason-week-2/), Mel Kiper, and Mort on ESPN. (He's at the combine also, but presumably not working out due to his injury).

Hope the best for both kids.

Dev11
02-21-2013, 05:58 PM
Someone should've started this already.

Conner Vernon is at the combine. Sean Renfree, despite his injury, is somehow picking up talk from Peter King of SI (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130218/peter-king-monday-morning-quarterback-offseason-week-2/), Mel Kiper, and Mort on ESPN. (He's at the combine also, but presumably not working out due to his injury).

Hope the best for both kids.

Meant to start this earlier today, thanks.

Is anybody else in the draft other than Sean and Conner? I thought before today that Conner would surely be drafted and Sean not, but it sounds like the ESPN 'experts' are high on Sean, so perhaps he gets a nod on draft day.

loran16
02-21-2013, 07:07 PM
Meant to start this earlier today, thanks.

Is anybody else in the draft other than Sean and Conner? I thought before today that Conner would surely be drafted and Sean not, but it sounds like the ESPN 'experts' are high on Sean, so perhaps he gets a nod on draft day.

Still think Conner gets drafted (presuming good workouts) and Renfree doesn't (I recall Thad getting some minor buzz before the draft only to get undrafted), but we'll see.

Dev, I'm pretty sure every one of our senior class is draft-eligible, but only Renfree and Vernon were invited to the combine.

throatybeard
02-21-2013, 07:45 PM
Still think Conner gets drafted (presuming good workouts) and Renfree doesn't (I recall Thad getting some minor buzz before the draft only to get undrafted), but we'll see.

Dev, I'm pretty sure every one of our senior class is draft-eligible, but only Renfree and Vernon were invited to the combine.

I still can't believe the Rams didn't keep Thad around as a backup to Bradford. And Bradford's fragile.

J_C_Steel
02-22-2013, 09:50 AM
If Conner Vernon runs a 4.5 second 40-yard dash or faster, he'll definitely get drafted. I'd love to see my Steelers grab him in the fifth or sixth round. With his hands and feel for the game, Vernon has "slot receiver for the next 10 years" written all over him. I know that many will probably compare him to Wes Welker, but I don't see that. Vernon's bigger than Welker and not quite as quick. But he is adept at sitting down in zones, fighting for the ball, and getting extra yards. In that way, he's somewhat similar to Jerricho Cotchery and Steve Breaston (though he lacks Breaston's long speed).

jimsumner
02-22-2013, 03:46 PM
If Conner Vernon runs a 4.5 second 40-yard dash or faster, he'll definitely get drafted. I'd love to see my Steelers grab him in the fifth or sixth round. With his hands and feel for the game, Vernon has "slot receiver for the next 10 years" written all over him. I know that many will probably compare him to Wes Welker, but I don't see that. Vernon's bigger than Welker and not quite as quick. But he is adept at sitting down in zones, fighting for the ball, and getting extra yards. In that way, he's somewhat similar to Jerricho Cotchery and Steve Breaston (though he lacks Breaston's long speed).

Duke expects Vernon to be selected before the fifth or sixth round. Three or four.

loran16
02-22-2013, 05:07 PM
Duke expects Vernon to be selected before the fifth or sixth round. Three or four.

I hope so too Jim, but let's wait till we hear the initial results from the combine. IIRC, Oghobasse was our last legit shot to get drafted and he had awful combine results, killing his chances.

Bob Green
02-22-2013, 05:14 PM
I hope so too Jim, but let's wait till we hear the initial results from the combine.

Wide receiver workouts are on Sunday.

throatybeard
02-22-2013, 05:27 PM
IIRC, Oghobasse was our last legit shot to get drafted and he had awful combine results, killing his chances.

Maybe I wasn't paying attention during the lead-up to that, but that gobsmacked me.

jimsumner
02-22-2013, 10:21 PM
I hope so too Jim, but let's wait till we hear the initial results from the combine. IIRC, Oghobasse was our last legit shot to get drafted and he had awful combine results, killing his chances.

Vince had serious knee problems by that time. Serious.

Bob Green
02-24-2013, 12:27 PM
Conner Vernon ran 4.47 in the 40 yard dash today at the NFL Combine.

Bob Green
02-24-2013, 12:47 PM
The 4.47 time was unofficial (on his second try). NFL.com now lists his official 40 yard dash time as 4.68 seconds.

arnie
02-24-2013, 07:07 PM
The 4.47 time was unofficial (on his second try). NFL.com now lists his official 40 yard dash time as 4.68 seconds.

Poor time for a WR hoping to get drafted. Oh Well - maybe somebody takes a 6th or 7th round chance on him.

sporthenry
02-24-2013, 07:18 PM
Seems like he is a 5-7th round WR and his numbers didn't really kill his stock but it obviously didn't do it any favors. But Welker ran a 4.61 at his Pro Day so it isn't terrible. And just looking at twitter, apparently many were impressed with his hands during the catching drill. Apparently he didn't drop any nor double catch any.

He will be a good player on Sundays and many think he could step into a starting role right away. He seems like your prototypical 3rd/4th receiver in the slot. Finds the holes in the zone defense and has the sure hands necessary to succeed.

loran16
02-25-2013, 04:02 PM

How does there become a gap of .21 seconds?

And yeah that hurts for Conner. I sadly think teams take way too much stock in 40 numbers as opposed to catching drills.

Bob Green
02-25-2013, 04:12 PM
How does there become a gap of .21 seconds?

From what I've read, it is the difference between manual timing and the automated digital timer. The 4.47 was by a person holding a stopwatch in their hand.

dukelifer
02-25-2013, 04:26 PM
From what I've read, it is the difference between manual timing and the automated digital timer. The 4.47 was by a person holding a stopwatch in their hand.

All the buzz I have seen suggests that he impressed with his catching skills- a natural. That in the end is pretty important.

OZZIE4DUKE
02-25-2013, 07:57 PM
All the buzz I have seen suggests that he impressed with his catching skills- a natural. That in the end is pretty important.
Receivers who catch the ball have long NFL careers!

DavidBenAkiva
02-26-2013, 08:46 AM
Receivers who catch the ball have long NFL careers!

My goodness I would be ecstatic if the Bears drafted Vernon in the middle rounds of the draft. The Bears really need someone like Vernon to take the slot position from Devin Hester. Hester has speed for days but no hands and almost no instincts for routes and finding open spots in the defense. Vernon is quick, has great hands, and would be able to play off of Brandon Marshall and Alshon Jeffrey to form a great group of receivers.

Jeffrey isn't the fastest guy in the world, but he's big and strong and gets open deep to make catches with his big hands. He was a guy that produced at an elite level in college (South Carolina, I think), but didn't impress at the combine. Still, he got drafted in the 3rd round based on his physical attributes and career numbers. It just goes to show you that combine results are overrated.

dukelifer
02-26-2013, 09:18 PM
My goodness I would be ecstatic if the Bears drafted Vernon in the middle rounds of the draft. The Bears really need someone like Vernon to take the slot position from Devin Hester. Hester has speed for days but no hands and almost no instincts for routes and finding open spots in the defense. Vernon is quick, has great hands, and would be able to play off of Brandon Marshall and Alshon Jeffrey to form a great group of receivers.

Jeffrey isn't the fastest guy in the world, but he's big and strong and gets open deep to make catches with his big hands. He was a guy that produced at an elite level in college (South Carolina, I think), but didn't impress at the combine. Still, he got drafted in the 3rd round based on his physical attributes and career numbers. It just goes to show you that combine results are overrated.

The main purpose of the combine is to do a physical and see if there is some physical problem ( knee, heart etc). The other stuff is only important if you show yourself to be an athletic freak. In the end, it is your football ability that is most important. Vernon has showed he is a gamer and has great hands.