PDA

View Full Version : Where to hang out near Cameron this Sunday before the game

clinresga
02-21-2013, 01:02 PM
Thanks to a good friend I have tix to the BC game Sunday. I'm flying in and out same day and will arrive around 10:30. I need a place to hang out from then until game time, would need coffee, maybe a sandwich, and WiFi. Would want a place where I could hang out for a couple hours without getting the evil eye. Will have a rental car. Any thoughts?

Jarhead
02-21-2013, 03:22 PM
You'd probably get more responses had you used the EK board instead of this off topic board, but since I am posting this, I'll add that the Bryant Center would be your best choice. It's the closest place with coffee and food, unless you'd be happy with the concessions in Cameron. The Bryant Center is a little more than a three point shot from Duke Chapel, and only about 5 to 10 minutes walk from Cameron. Parking nearby may be a problem, so check this link (http://parking.duke.edu/parking/event_parking/mens_bball_parking.php), and then enjoy your day.

clinresga
02-21-2013, 03:53 PM
You'd probably get more responses had you used the EK board instead of this off topic board, but since I am posting this, I'll add that the Bryant Center would be your best choice. It's the closest place with coffee and food, unless you'd be happy with the concessions in Cameron. The Bryant Center is a little more than a three point shot from Duke Chapel, and only about 5 to 10 minutes walk from Cameron. Parking nearby may be a problem, so check this link (http://parking.duke.edu/parking/event_parking/mens_bball_parking.php), and then enjoy your day.

Thanks: I live in fear of abusing my posting privileges and would not sully the EK board with a request that is so self-serving. I know the campus well enough from periodic visits and the Bryant Center is certainly the on campus option, but was looking for something off campus, with a bit more "atmosphere." But thanks for the input for sure.

Rich
02-21-2013, 04:29 PM
Thanks: I live in fear of abusing my posting privileges and would not sully the EK board with a request that is so self-serving. I know the campus well enough from periodic visits and the Bryant Center is certainly the on campus option, but was looking for something off campus, with a bit more "atmosphere." But thanks for the input for sure.

For what you describe, I recommend Elmo's Diner -- http://elmosdiner.com/. Not sure about the WiFi though. You would need to call them.

Jarhead
02-21-2013, 04:43 PM

No worries here. You could have asked where to find a sports bar in London, England carrying the game on Sunday, and you would get several good answers. Sorry, I have no help for off campus places, but I would think that time constraints might interfere. If you are arriving at the airport at 10:30, my guess is that the Bryant Center is your only option. Let's hope that someone else here can help. Good luck.

clinresga
02-21-2013, 04:44 PM
For what you describe, I recommend Elmo's Diner -- http://elmosdiner.com/. Not sure about the WiFi though. You would need to call them.

Great. Thanks Rich.

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-21-2013, 05:54 PM
Maybe you'd enjoy the Bull Durham Bar in the Washington Duke Inn. It's a short ride from Cameron. The hotel has some interesting displays about the history of the Duke family and the University. Don't know about the WiFi, but the phone number is on the web page which the link below brings up. You can also check out the menu.

http://www.washingtondukeinn.com/Dining/bull_durham_bar.asp

Acymetric
02-21-2013, 06:25 PM
I feel like at least one of the places in that shopping center with Friday's (along with Noodles & Co., Chipotle, Dunkin Donuts and a few others) has WiFi, and that's just across the street from campus. Close enough to walk, really, but with a rental car even easier. Mad Hatter bakery probably has WiFi, its about 5 minutes down the road (not accounting for game traffic). There would probably be a place or two at Brightleaf square as well which is just a bit further out. Little more of a gathering place with several different restaurants and shops.

I would imagine just about any place near campus will be used to customers come in, buy a cup of coffee or something, and lingering around for a couple hours on a laptop.

weezie
02-21-2013, 08:29 PM
Check with the Thomas Center at Fuqua. There's a bar downstairs in the main building that may open (but prob not till noon on Sunday) and there's a limited burgers, etc. menu. Wifi no problem. Maybe they'll let you park there if you are eating (ask for a pass at front desk) and that's a great place to park during the game.
The Bryan Center is undergoing renovations but I have yet to get over there and see how extensive.

orrnot
02-21-2013, 11:26 PM
I recommend the Bryan Center. Au Bon Pain is open and slinging sandwiches. I can't vouch for coffee, but they've got plenty of food. The BC is undergoing renovations, but not right there. Plenty of room to hang out and surf; no one will bother you. Typically, signage warns that no game parking is available at the Bryan Center, but on Sundays that's to hide the fact that it's wide open for Chapel attendees. A short walk away Alpine Bagels opens at 9am in the West Union Building, while the Divinity Refectory opens at 11, and those might be good coffee backup options. It'll be nice to be on campus and not have to worry about fighting through parking hassles. If you're feeling really adventurous, it's Student Preacher Sunday at Duke Chapel, 11am. Not to mention Duke Baseball v. Bucknell, Noon, Historic Jack Coombs Stadium. Cheers!

Mike Corey
02-22-2013, 08:39 AM

Get there early. Elmo's is usually packed on Sunday's.

And enjoy. :)

OldPhiKap
02-22-2013, 09:04 AM

If no one has mentioned Satisfaction, it is a traditional Duke pizza joint/bar thing. Not sure if they have wifi or not.

Of course, being Sunday, I think there is a church on campus. ;>)

DevilBen02
02-22-2013, 09:07 AM
What about Foster's Market (2694 Durham-Chapel Hill Blvd., Durham, NC)? It's not too far from campus, they have a great variety of coffees and snacks, and there is plenty of room to sit and linger, and they have free WiFi.

orrnot
02-22-2013, 02:34 PM
What about Foster's Market (2694 Durham-Chapel Hill Blvd., Durham, NC)? It's not too far from campus, they have a great variety of coffees and snacks, and there is plenty of room to sit and linger, and they have free WiFi.

Are you sure Foster's currently has wifi? It's true that I haven't been there in several months, but I've not known them to offer it. It's insane that they don't, and I expect them to correct the mistake any time now, as I have for several years. Their Chapel Hill peers, on MLK, do offer it.

DevilBen02
02-22-2013, 03:16 PM
Are you sure Foster's currently has wifi? It's true that I haven't been there in several months, but I've not known them to offer it. It's insane that they don't, and I expect them to correct the mistake any time now, as I have for several years. Their Chapel Hill peers, on MLK, do offer it.

Maybe I'm mistaken. It just seems in my mind like a place that does.

Farlan
02-22-2013, 04:08 PM
If no one has mentioned Satisfaction, it is a traditional Duke pizza joint/bar thing. Not sure if they have wifi or not.

Of course, being Sunday, I think there is a church on campus. ;>)

I believe that Satisfaction has its own wifi network but when I am there I usually sign in on the Duke Guest network (from the Duke offices above Sats).

Jarhead
02-22-2013, 04:54 PM
clinresga, I'm Thinking about the time constraints you face with your arrival at about 10:30 AM. If that's an accurate assumption you'd be pushing it to get off the airport grounds by 11 o'clock. Traffic would be light on Sunday morning, so you could arrive in central Durham by 11:30. Getting to west campus and parking would leave a little over two hours to tip off at Cameron. That's why I favor the Bryant Center. Au Bon Pain serves up a pretty good lunch, and I bet you'd like spending some time in the University Store just up a few steps. I'd save the other places mentioned for after the game, if you have the time. Be sure and let us know how things work out for you.

duketaylor
02-22-2013, 07:15 PM
Always some folks at Davine's over near East campus.