PDA

View Full Version : HS state scoring champs

SupaDave
02-21-2013, 07:52 AM
Now we that have Semi on board - how many state scoring champs has Duke had? Off the top of my head, I know Demarcus is one and Reddick is too. Then we have Scheyer 4th in Illinois and Singler is 8th in Oregon.

We've got a pretty good history with those guys.

CDu
02-21-2013, 08:31 AM
Now we that have Semi on board - how many state scoring champs has Duke had? Off the top of my head, I know Demarcus is one and Reddick is too. Then we have Scheyer 4th in Illinois and Singler is 8th in Oregon.

We've got a pretty good history with those guys.

Redick isn't actually Virginia's all-time leading scorer. He's Virginia's AAA all-time leading scorer. He's 32nd overall. I suspect that Nelson and Ojeleye are our only two.

Dev11
02-21-2013, 08:50 AM
Redick isn't actually Virginia's all-time leading scorer. He's Virginia's AAA all-time leading scorer. He's 32nd overall. I suspect that Nelson and Ojeleye are our only two.

Didn't Taylor King beat Nelson's record? I thought I remember hearing that.

Mike Corey
02-21-2013, 08:56 AM

Not quite. He's fourth all-time in California.

CDu
02-21-2013, 08:59 AM

King finished 4th on the state scoring list. He owns the Orange County scoring record though - not too shabby.

Cameron
02-21-2013, 10:04 AM
With the pantheon of greats that have come out of the California prep scene -- including Reggie Miller, Baron Davis, James Harden, Bobby Jones, Chase Budinger, Jason Kidd, Damian Lillard, Harold "Baby Jordan" Minor, the O'Bannon brothers, Paul Pierce, Tayshaun Prince, Isiah Rider, Bill Russell, Keith Van Horn, Russell Westbrook, Paul Westphal and Bill Walton -- DeMarcus Nelson is one bad dude.

vick
02-21-2013, 10:23 AM
With the pantheon of greats that have come out of the California prep scene -- including Reggie Miller, Baron Davis, James Harden, Bobby Jones, Chase Budinger, Jason Kidd, Damian Lillard, Harold "Baby Jordan" Minor, the O'Bannon brothers, Paul Pierce, Tayshaun Prince, Isiah Rider, Bill Russell, Keith Van Horn, Russell Westbrook, Paul Westphal and Bill Walton -- DeMarcus Nelson is one bad dude.

Maybe more impressive than his scoring is that, despite his height*, he finished third in all-time rebounds in the state. Crazy.

* Duke's official website lists him at 6'4", but no way. Didn't he wind up measuring 6'1" (without shoes) at the draft combine?

CDu
02-21-2013, 10:32 AM
Maybe more impressive than his scoring is that, despite his height*, he finished third in all-time rebounds in the state. Crazy.

* Duke's official website lists him at 6'4", but no way. Didn't he wind up measuring 6'1" (without shoes) at the draft combine?

I suspect that a great deal of that was competition and number of games played.

wilko
02-21-2013, 10:40 AM
Trajan didnt have some Alaskan record on another?
That would be surprising to me.

Bluedog
02-21-2013, 10:47 AM

Yep, he did:

[Langdon] scored an Alaska AAAA record 2,200 points in his career and led his team to three state championships, winning Player of the Year honors all three times.

Not sure if AAAA is the largest division or what in Alaska....

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=1353918

CDu
02-21-2013, 10:49 AM

Langdon has/had the 4A state scoring record, but not the overall state scoring record. He and Boozer are almost certainly the two best players to come out of Alaska (Chalmers as well).