PDA

View Full Version : WBB: (1) Baylor at (3) Connecticut

throatybeard
02-18-2013, 10:01 PM
At the end of the first half some gal threw a 3/4-court pass to Griner. Well, she was just outside the arc.

The play-by-play announcer describer it as "Griner...trying to do a Christian Laettner."

Duvall
02-18-2013, 10:31 PM
Baylor is scary - they are beating UConn in Hartford despite playing at maybe 60%. Maybe less.

DU82
02-18-2013, 10:44 PM
Watching Griner "play" is making me root for UConn. I'm glad Doris Burke is calling her out on her thuggish moves.

throatybeard
02-18-2013, 10:53 PM
I'm just delighted there is a woman in the world named Odyssey.

Duvall
02-18-2013, 10:55 PM
Watching a UConn team get absolutely shredded defensively is pretty fun.

throatybeard
02-18-2013, 10:58 PM

Yeah. This is a game, y'all.

How about Pope. She hasn't resigned. (Oh I kill me).

msdukie
02-18-2013, 11:01 PM
I remember when we used to play in and win high level games like this....

throatybeard
02-18-2013, 11:03 PM
I remember when we used to play in and win high level games like this....

A couple of them. Even during the GG era, we mostly got run.

msdukie
02-18-2013, 11:09 PM
Well, this just killed our RPI! #notreally

throatybeard
02-18-2013, 11:14 PM
Well, this just killed our RPI! #notreally

Now that's funny.

I don't want to play either of these teams. Ever again. In perpetuity.

-bdbd
02-18-2013, 11:39 PM

Yeah, gotta admit I was enjoying that myself. Kinda reminds me of a bully gettin popped in the mouth, not knowing how to react. Geno looked a bit shell-shocked a few times. U-con didn't look play terribly, but Baylor is just better. Griner is just so imposing too. But she's not the only talent Baylor has, which was a bit eye-opening for me.

Watching Griner "play" is making me root for UConn. I'm glad Doris Burke is calling her out on her thuggish moves.

Pretty much NOTHING could make me root for U-con after more than a couple incidents of watching them clearly running up the score on teams they've blown out (including Duke). Good treatment coming back for a bully. And speaking of bullies, as for Griner, most people have forgotten an incident that happened her freshman year, I think, before she was such a big deal. In a regular season game, she was on offense, away from the ball, along the side of the key, facing back towards the far end of the court, with the other team's center standing right up against her, behind her, in position to defend... Just standing there motionless, both of them... Then out of nowhere she throws a viscious elbow right to the mouth of the unsuspecting defender -- wam, blood everywhere, maybe even a lost tooth or two, other player is OUT. And I think Griner ultimately was suspended for a game or something. But clearly this is a player with a mean streak a mile wide. It DOES help to make her the intense player that she is, but I sure don't think I would want to guard her -- either on the court or in a dark alley somewhere!!

In a sense it is kinda fun to watch TWO "bully" teams going after one another. A shame that only one of them could lose!

That said, good game by both sides. Very possibly a National Championship prelude. But I thought that the better team won.

uh_no
02-19-2013, 03:24 AM
Yeah, gotta admit I was enjoying that myself. Kinda reminds me of a bully gettin popped in the mouth, not knowing how to react. Geno looked a bit shell-shocked a few times. U-con didn't look play terribly, but Baylor is just better. Griner is just so imposing too. But she's not the only talent Baylor has, which was a bit eye-opening for me.

Pretty much NOTHING could make me root for U-con after more than a couple incidents of watching them clearly running up the score on teams they've blown out (including Duke). Good treatment coming back for a bully. And speaking of bullies, as for Griner, most people have forgotten an incident that happened her freshman year, I think, before she was such a big deal. In a regular season game, she was on offense, away from the ball, along the side of the key, facing back towards the far end of the court, with the other team's center standing right up against her, behind her, in position to defend... Just standing there motionless, both of them... Then out of nowhere she throws a viscious elbow right to the mouth of the unsuspecting defender -- wam, blood everywhere, maybe even a lost tooth or two, other player is OUT. And I think Griner ultimately was suspended for a game or something. But clearly this is a player with a mean streak a mile wide. It DOES help to make her the intense player that she is, but I sure don't think I would want to guard her -- either on the court or in a dark alley somewhere!!

In a sense it is kinda fun to watch TWO "bully" teams going after one another. A shame that only one of them could lose!

That said, good game by both sides. Very possibly a National Championship prelude. But I thought that the better team won.

That's how it is in women's basketball. Did you take issue with duke's 16 30+ point wins this year?

anyway, the second half was exceptionally played by both teams. Once Baylor figured out how to deal with Uconn's double teaming Griner, they tore them apart. If you can't stop griner getting the ball, you're gonna lose....it's that simple. Dolson is a darn good defender and she couldn't do ANYTHING (not that i'm surprised....griner is absolutely phenomenal)

The amount that Griner has come in 4 years is incredible...most people don't notice it since they see her beating up on smaller girls all the time....but she always used to have one move....a going up over her left shoulder from the one side of the lane....she is infinitely more versatile now...and the only way to defend her is to sandwich her and prevent the entry (which uconn did successfully for the first 15 minutes)....unfortunately baylor's supporting cast is good enough to hurt you in that situation....and they did for 45 minutes.

In all honesty, I was amazed Uconn kept it as close as they did in the second half....

I like my huskies, but I can't see any way to beat this baylor team come march....you could take the top 5 players in the country outside of baylor and put them up against baylor's 5, and i think baylor would still probably win more often than not.

I thought that Uconn would challenege baylor this year, and they certianly put up a good fight, but Stewart was the necessary piece, and she has proven herself the freshman, despite her talents....she had no place on the floor tonight.

I think the pecking order is:

baylor
~
uconn
ND
~
duke
stanford
cal

it'll take something incredible to beat baylor in march......thank god Griner is a senior.