PDA

View Full Version : Tudor at it again

arnie
02-18-2013, 06:09 PM
Don't think a link exists; but the N&O has a 12-page special section entitled "Reflections" . This represents Caulton Tudor's favorite memories of the 1st 30 years of ACC Basketball. Lots of great photos of each decade 50s through early 80s. Problem is, the ACC must mean the Heels and Pack to Tudor. Heels and Pack each have 4 times the number of photos than the Devils. NO MENTION OF any FINAL 4 APPEARANCES BY THE DEVILS. Bill Foster is never mentioned and Bubas is briefly mentioned, but no mention of his 3 Final 4s in the 60s. Of course, Deans 3 Final Fours and large photo with Charley Scott are discussed.

One mention of Maryland, I think a photo or two of Wake and Clemson and everything else is Heels/Pack centric. The journalistic prejudice comes out strong.

roywhite
02-18-2013, 06:36 PM
Not sure why anybody is seriously sorry to see Caulton go. Mediocre writer and a Tar Heels homer to boot.

He's the Digger Phelps of the print crowd.

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-18-2013, 06:49 PM
Not sure why anybody is seriously sorry to see Caulton go. Mediocre writer and a Tar Heels homer to boot.

He's the Digger Phelps of the print crowd.

Caulton Tudor is not in the same league with Lenox Rawlings (the WS Journal writer who recently retired), is he?:cool:

ChrisP
02-18-2013, 07:23 PM
So, I have two thoughts about what you reported here regarding the clear bias toward featuring the Heels & Pack more prominently than other ACC teams (particularly a certain team that starts with "D" and ends with "UKE"):

1) It sucks

And

2) I'm not surprised. I used to work for the newspaper in Greensboro - it was my first job out of Duke, actually and I was there over 8 years in various roles - and the bottom line is that, in the state of NC, news about the Heels (and I guess the Pack, too, since they're the other big, state school) sells and news about Duke or Wake...doesn't. I remember several times when UNC would win a big game and the editorial staff would plaster it all over the Sports page (and sometimes give it a shout out on the front page, too). But then, when the Heels lost, the story would practically be buried.

I do think there's a certain amount of bias to several of the old-school newspaper sportswriters in this state, too, but, unfortunately, I'm sorta used to it. And given the state of newspaper readership these days (the last numbers I saw for the G'boro paper were about 1/2 what they were when I worked there in the 90's) I'm not at all surprised to see them playing to their base.