PDA

View Full Version : Phil Henderson (1968-2013)

Utley
02-17-2013, 11:24 PM
Just say via a Robert Brickey Facebook post that Phil Henderson passed away. I can't find confirmation anywhere - fingers crossed its internet mis-information. What a great leaper - his dunk over Mourning is an all timer.

dukemsu
02-17-2013, 11:27 PM
Just say via a Robert Brickey Facebook post that Phil Henderson passed away. I can't find confirmation anywhere - fingers crossed its internet mis-information. What a great leaper - his dunk over Mourning is an all timer.

Saw Seth Davis tweeting about it. Hope it isn't true. My memory of Phil is in the 90 FF, when he hit that triple that seemed like he was working the clock in the second half.

dukemsu

WillJ
02-17-2013, 11:35 PM
What a shame.

superdave
02-17-2013, 11:40 PM
Billy King ‏@bkdefend

So sorry to hear the news my teammate from Duke Phil Henderson has passed away. Very fond memories of Phil. My prayers are with his family
Retweeted by ACC Sports

socaldukie
02-17-2013, 11:42 PM
Apparently he was in the Phillipines, nothing else reported at this time. Really sad.

throatybeard
02-18-2013, 12:00 AM
You have got to me kidding me.

nmduke2001
02-18-2013, 12:02 AM
This is terrible news. RIP.

nmduke2001
02-18-2013, 12:12 AM
Here's the dunk.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=GbIxFvMmcmc&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DGbIxFvMmcmc%26feature%3 Dyoutu.be

throatybeard
02-18-2013, 12:22 AM
http://blogs.fayobserver.com/accbasketball/February-2013/Former-Duke-standout-Phil-Henderson-passes-away,-a

davekay1971
02-18-2013, 05:47 AM
Not the kind of news to wake up to. Phil's iconic dunk over Alonzo, his gutsy performance a year later over Arkansas...just basketball moments, but great ones. I'm sad to hear of his passing. Really sad that he died too young. I immediately think of the cartoon in the Chronicle after the Georgetown game...a drawing of "Trembling Hills Retirement Home" with word bubbles above it: "Did I ever tell you about the time I dunked over Alonzo Mourning?" "Yes, Mr. Henderson."

Unfortunately, Phil died way too young to be the old guy in the nursing home, telling people over and over about his great basketball moments. I'm really saddened to hear this.

OldPhiKap
02-18-2013, 07:10 AM
Extremely sad news. Prayers for his family.

wsb3
02-18-2013, 07:20 AM
Very sad to read this..
He was a special player and I never thought he got just due for what a great senior season he had.. One of my all time favorite dunks..

moonpie23
02-18-2013, 07:21 AM
terrible news.. :(

cruxer
02-18-2013, 07:38 AM
He will always have a place in this Duke fan's heart after his gutty performance in an otherwise dismal championship game against UNLV. He wasn't intimidated at all. RIP Phil...

-c

Tappan Zee Devil
02-18-2013, 07:47 AM
Rest eternal grant unto him, O Lord; and let light perpetual shine upon him.

Deslok
02-18-2013, 08:00 AM
Apparently he was working to set up things with the Filipino Basketball Academy. Sounds like he was working to make a difference in these kids lives. No news links I can find about his death, but found these about his coming to the Philippines

First from the Manila Times about him coming over: http://www.manilatimes.net/index.php/sports/top-sports-news/38003-academy-aims-to-develop-basketball-in-philippines

And the academy's Facebook page where you can see him in a couple of pictures(and a note on there says he apparently suffered a heart attack that caused his death): https://www.facebook.com/FilipinoBasketballAcademy

Always sad to see someone die young, especially when they were working to do good. RIP Phil.

rthomas
02-18-2013, 08:06 AM
Sweet 16, Final 4, Final 4, Final 2

DukeandMdFan
02-18-2013, 08:24 AM
Here's the dunk.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=GbIxFvMmcmc&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DGbIxFvMmcmc%26feature%3 Dyoutu.be

I saw Laettner's buzzer beaters against UConn and Kentucky and I saw Hill dunk against Michigan. But, the most satisfying play I've witnessed - in terms of "take that, opponent fan, my guy just abused your guy" - was when Phil Henderson dunked all-over Alonzo Mourning.

Thank you, Phil Henderson, for the great memory. RIP.

Reilly
02-18-2013, 08:27 AM
My memory may be wrong on this ... but I believe Phil might have hit the first (exhibition) 3-pointer for Duke of the modern 3-point era. The ACC experimented with the 3-point shot for the 1982-83 season. Then, it became a part of the game for good beginning with the 1986-87 season (Phil's freshman year). The Russian national team came to Cameron (pretty hyped game) and if I'm recalling correctly, Duke beat the Russians, and Phil hit the first 3-pointer. The goduke database doesn't list exhibitions ... I'm thinking the Russian game was the first that year ... and Phil hit that first 3-pointer ...

devilirium
02-18-2013, 08:59 AM
He had a huge steal against AZ to preserve a win in Cameron--it may have been Muehlbach. Phil had a terrific knack for swiping the ball w/out fouling--particularly if the ppponent just held it out to the side or above his head. With me, there are always little things that I associate with certain Duke players, and to this day Phil was the best I've seen at that.

He was also the first microwave, heat check type of shooter
that I remember post 1986. Had a great game against UCLA
in the tourney when Laett was in major foul trouble. Big game against Arkansas as well.

ChrisP
02-18-2013, 09:01 AM
This sobering news certainly puts things in perspective. Suddenly losing to those dorky turtles doesn't matter. I didn't know Phil, but he was only a year behind me at Duke and I used to see him around campus and he always seemed like a really nice guy. And of course, he was a great player on some great Duke teams.

RIP, Phil. :(

Reilly
02-18-2013, 09:03 AM
Phil switched numbers during his career.

The goduke roster lists him wearing #3 as a frosh, and then #44 later.

He's wearing #3 in the Georgetown highlight.

The team photo for the 89-90 season has him wearing #33 (!):

http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/seasons/roster.php?season=1989-90

FerryFor50
02-18-2013, 09:05 AM
Sad to hear. RIP Mr. Henderson

summerwind03
02-18-2013, 09:08 AM
I'm so sorry to hear this. Phil was a great Duke basketball player and a good person. It must be super hard for Robert Brickey, because the two of them were always together. You'll be missed, Phil.

-bdbd
02-18-2013, 10:55 AM
Very, very sad news.

Lots of people forget that he was maybe “the guy" carrying us to/through the 1990 Final Four. He scored a game-high 28 in the semis vs a tough Ark. squad to get us to the first UNLV Finals. And he was the lone Devil scoring much in the Finals (21) when we got toasted by UNLV (and Hurley famously had to run off the floor to the locker room). But all of that led directly to our successes in '91 and '92. Very sad news.

http://dukereport.com/?attachment_id=6499
A fan from his neighborhood in Manilla saying that it was a heart attack.
http://blogs.fayobserver.com/accbasketball/February-2013/Former-Duke-standout-Phil-Henderson-passes-away,-a
Article from Fayetteville paper, including video of “the dunk,” over Mourning.

http://duke.scout.com/2/1267624.html

plimnko
02-18-2013, 11:27 AM
http://www.wralsportsfan.com/former-duke-basketball-player-phil-henderson-44-dies/12120348/

Reilly
02-18-2013, 11:31 AM
The 48 players selected before Phil in the 1990 NBA draft all ended up playing in the NBA:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/draft/NBA_1990.html

Phil, the 49th selection, did not see regular season game action. Dallas drafted him, and their 90-91 squad seems like it was very experienced at guard (Rolando Blackman, Fat Lever, Steve Alford, Brad Davis, Derek Harper).

wsb3
02-18-2013, 01:25 PM
He had a huge steal against AZ to preserve a win in Cameron--it may have been Muehlbach. Phil had a terrific knack for swiping the ball w/out fouling--particularly if the ppponent just held it out to the side or above his head. With me, there are always little things that I associate with certain Duke players, and to this day Phil was the best I've seen at that.

He was also the first microwave, heat check type of shooter
that I remember post 1986. Had a great game against UCLA
in the tourney when Laett was in major foul trouble. Big game against Arkansas as well.

The UCLA game stands out for me..I could be completely off base here but if my failing memory serves me correctly during one stretch of the second half he scored 14 straight points to keep us ahead while as you stated Laettner was in foul trouble..Might have to break the dvd of that game out tonight.

throatybeard
02-18-2013, 01:52 PM
Phil switched numbers during his career.

The goduke roster lists him wearing #3 as a frosh, and then #44 later.

He's wearing #3 in the Georgetown highlight.

The team photo for the 89-90 season has him wearing #33 (!):

http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/seasons/roster.php?season=1989-90

Does anybody know why? It's not like a Thomas Hill situation, where the number was retired out from under him. (Heyman).

throatybeard
02-18-2013, 02:16 PM
Yo, check out this article about him from the NYT, between the Arkansas game and the UNLV game.

http://www.nytimes.com/1990/04/02/sports/henderson-is-link-to-success-at-duke.html

Reilly
02-18-2013, 04:03 PM
Not sure why he changed numbers. The goduke roster may be wrong ... some print publications I have list Phil as #44 at the beginning of his career. He had some school issues frosh and soph years, so maybe switched to #3 as a junior for a fresh start? The 1989-90 ACC Basketball Handbook has Phil on the cover blocking a shot of UNC's Kevin Madden, but the Duke article inside by Feinstein talks about how Phil had decided to leave the team before his senior year, w/ quotes from K ... that obviously had gone to press before Phil decided to come back for his senior year.

vlove
02-18-2013, 04:52 PM
really sober & depressing news. one of K's truly underappreciated stars, particularly in light of his consistently clutch performances in the NCAA tourney (both in 89 & 90). seemingly willed the 1990 squad to the title game on the strength of several huge momentum swinging baskets in the elite 8 against UCONN & semis against Arkansas.

Phil wore #44 both his freshman & sophomore years, and only changed to #3 at the start of his junior year. also, the reasons behind intended his transfer to Illinois & subsequent aboutface remain a closely guarded mystery to this day- i've read several articles hinting that Illinois declined to admit him, but phil was always reticent to discuss. what was noted was K left the decision on whether to accept phil's return up to a vote by the squad.

pure skies to one my all time favorite devils (and the leader of maybe my fondest squad in 1990).

79-77
02-18-2013, 08:31 PM
Phil was, for a long time, one of my all-time favorite Duke players (I'm a class of '89 alum and started following the team in earnest in 1984). He didn't cover himself in glory in his adult life, which tarnished his memory a bit for me, but it seems like he was getting his act together and doing some good things recently.

In any case, he was, without question, one of the most clutch players who has ever played at Duke -- probably tied with Hurley for #2 behind Laettner. He stepped up at crunch time and he wasn't afraid of any opponent or any situation. The blowout loss to Vegas in the 1990 title game, and the subsequent back-to-back titles, have overshadowed a great career and a huge senior year for Phil.

Godspeed, Phil, and peace unto you and your family.

summerwind03
02-18-2013, 08:50 PM
Yo, check out this article about him from the NYT, between the Arkansas game and the UNLV game.

http://www.nytimes.com/1990/04/02/sports/henderson-is-link-to-success-at-duke.html

That was interesting, though it was horribly written considering it was in the NY Times.

throatybeard
02-18-2013, 08:53 PM
He didn't cover himself in glory in his adult life,

Very few of us do.

which tarnished his memory a bit for me, but it seems like he was getting his act together and doing some good things recently.

Which, let me say this. I've very proud that he graduated. For all of the 1990s, unfortunately, that was really the context in which his name came up, which I felt was unfair to his legacy as a player. Something like (whether accurate or not) he was why Krzyzewski hadn't had the 1990 FF banner hung. I think Joe Cook was in that class too, but who knows how these things really work.

Imagine how pleased I was when I went to my friends' graduation in 2000 (I was 1998) and there in the program were both Phil Henderson and Ricky Price, ten and two years "late" respectively, but they got it done. The 1990 banner now hangs in Cameron and always will, and when people look at it, they will think primarily of Phil, Alaa, and Robert.

I teach at a University where the students are not economically privileged like most Duke students are. There's no, or little stigma in taking a while to graduate. It's a fact of life. 4-year graduation rates are for kids with multiple generations of college graduates in their families, and with trust funds. I don't judge anyone on how long it takes them to graduate, even scholarship athletes. We all run our own race.

summerwind03
02-18-2013, 08:57 PM
I am even more impressed with people who graduate late. It takes a lot of humility and effort to keep coming back. I didn't remember that Phil and Ricky graduated in 2000. Thanks for that info. I've definitely learned some new things about Phil in this thread. Thanks.

throatybeard
02-18-2013, 09:15 PM
I am even more impressed with people who graduate late. It takes a lot of humility and effort to keep coming back.

Exactly. This x1000.

You know what's easy, or what was easy for me? Slothing my butt through Duke at 17-21. I mean not easy, but easy compared to real life.

Our median student age at UM-Saint Louis (a research school, mind you), is 27. We are a "commuter school," oh the horror.

You know who impresses me? A student I have currently. She's about 46. She just finished her BA last year after coming back after a year or two of undergrad somewhere in Ohio like 25 years ago. She raised her husband's two kids from a previous marriage and then five of her own, homeschooling the last five, several of whom have gone to college. Now she's doing her MA in our department. She and her husband are looking to foster or adopt and eighth kid. And she makes A+s in my classes.

Newton_14
02-18-2013, 09:32 PM
This is just incredibly sad. Such a great player and person. I agree with others that following through on the commitment to get that degree over a period of 10 years is something that should be applauded as well as respected. It speaks to his character. Having life cut short at age 44 is just unfair on so many levels, but we aren't meant to understand things like this when they happen.

I will remember Phil as one of the former Duke greats who improved his game year over year. I am on record many times on DBR in stating that watching kids develop over a four year career is just something special to me. Phil was definitely one of those that I will forever remember.

The big numbers in the tourney's and the big dunk on Mourning only add to the memories of a very special player. May he rest in peace, and may we never forget Phil Henderson the man or the player.

throatybeard
02-18-2013, 09:55 PM
OK, I'm told Cook was actually in the class of 1991.

WeepingThomasHill
02-18-2013, 09:57 PM
Phil was one of my favorite players growing up, and I still remember meeting him and getting an autograph after Duke played Maryland at Cole. Of course, I loved the Mourning dunk, but his all-around game and toughness was an inspiration. He belongs in the Duke pantheon. Thanks for the memories, Phil. Condolences to your family...

mike88
02-18-2013, 10:04 PM
Phiwas one of my favorite players from a great period for Duke basketball. Other than his dunk over Alonzo,my main memory of him comes from a pick-up game we were playing in Card Gym, probably 1989. I went to set a pick on him, and he gave me an elbow right to the chest that was like a knife. Phil wasn't big, but he was tough, and had one of the sweetest jump shots. RIP Phil.

79-77
02-18-2013, 10:15 PM
Very few of us do.

Which, let me say this. I've very proud that he graduated. For all of the 1990s, unfortunately, that was really the context in which his name came up, which I felt was unfair to his legacy as a player. Something like (whether accurate or not) he was why Krzyzewski hadn't had the 1990 FF banner hung. I think Joe Cook was in that class too, but who knows how these things really work.

Imagine how pleased I was when I went to my friends' graduation in 2000 (I was 1998) and there in the program were both Phil Henderson and Ricky Price, ten and two years "late" respectively, but they got it done. The 1990 banner now hangs in Cameron and always will, and when people look at it, they will think primarily of Phil, Alaa, and Robert.

I teach at a University where the students are not economically privileged like most Duke students are. There's no, or little stigma in taking a while to graduate. It's a fact of life. 4-year graduation rates are for kids with multiple generations of college graduates in their families, and with trust funds. I don't judge anyone on how long it takes them to graduate, even scholarship athletes. We all run our own race.

The late graduation wasn't what I was referring to (feel free to PM me if you'd like specifics -- I'd rather not get into it here), but I'm really glad to hear that he graduated and that the banner has been raised. That took some guts and some determination on Phil's part.

rthomas
02-18-2013, 10:35 PM
Phiwas one of my favorite players from a great period for Duke basketball. Other than his dunk over Alonzo,my main memory of him comes from a pick-up game we were playing in Card Gym, probably 1989. I went to set a pick on him, and he gave me an elbow right to the chest that was like a knife. Phil wasn't big, but he was tough, and had one of the sweetest jump shots. RIP Phil.

Those pickup games in Card were seriously competitive. I remember one day early afternoon in the summer sitting on the side watching from a couple feet from the sidelines (there was no way I was getting in there). Grant, Ferry, T. Hill and a bunch of current players and alums were going at it. Ferry dives for a ball going out of bounds and doesn't get it. And as all the dudes playing were screaming at him, Ferry was screaming at us to tell them the ball was still in play.

I miss those days with Phil and all the great players.

Reilly
02-19-2013, 07:17 AM
1964: Mullins (22)
1978: Banks (22), Spanarkel (21), Gminski (20)
1986: Dawkins (24)
1990: Henderson (21)
1991:
1992:
1994:
1999: Langdon (25)
2001: Dunleavy (21)
2010:

cspan37421
02-19-2013, 08:41 AM

First, RIP Phil, and I'm glad he got his degree - that they all did.

Second, while I fully agree with your last two sentences, there's other statements in the paragraph above that trouble me a great deal. For one, please keep in mind:

About 50 percent of all Duke students receive some form of financial aid, which includes need-based aid, athletic aid and merit aid. The average need-based grant for 2011-2012 was more than $37,400. Source: http://newsoffice.duke.edu/all-about-duke/quick-facts-about-duke

Second, I really chafe at the frequent invocation of the phrase "trust funds" when it comes to talking about Duke students. It perpetuates a stereotype and dismissive attitude toward Duke students based on no evidence at all (and countered by the reference I made above). I was friends with a number of first-generation college students who graduated in four years, and who did not have trust fund riches open up to them to fund their education. I would encourage you to choose your words more carefully.

I definitely appreciate that family history and financial circumstances strongly influence who goes to college and how long it takes to get through. But it is definitely not the case that the lack of a trust fund or a history of multiple generations going to college prevents someone from getting a scholarship, or getting financial aid, and finishing in four years.

killerleft
02-19-2013, 10:49 AM
Phil Henderson will always be one of my favorite Blue Devils. He was as tough as nails. His senior year, he played at a level that was Johnny Dawkins-like.

The famous dunk on Mourning is one of the all-time Duke basketball plays. As awesome as it looks on grainy video, I'd like to think that the "gentle soul" that was Phil Henderson injected some "nasty" into Christian Laettner, who was within a couple feet of the feat. This is what is possible...

The teams bridging 1986 and 1991 were special to us Duke fans. All of those guys built a new "tradition" of Duke Basketball. The Final Fours Coach K authored during that time will possibly never be seen again. It hurts to know that one less of the special players that helped make Duke perhaps THE name in college basketball is gone.

RIP to Phil, and condolences to his family and friends.

hurleyfor3
02-19-2013, 02:56 PM
Wow, how depressing. But Phil was all about getting over mourning to achieve greatness. (I'm the first person to make that pun?)

The 1990 team may be the most underappreciated Duke team of the K era. It was also my freshman year, and in a lot of ways was the most exciting one in my four at Duke, as I was experiencing the greatness of Duke basketball for the first time. And what a great year it was. One of the better examples of a K team working through its problems and putting it all together in March. I miss years like those.

Thanks, Phil.

throatybeard
02-19-2013, 10:50 PM
And what a great year it was. One of the better examples of a K team working through its problems and putting it all together in March.

Word. ACCT troubles, sweep by the evil powder blue empire, but an unlikely run to the title game. Rather amazing.

Reilly
02-20-2013, 06:41 AM
... ACCT troubles, sweep by the evil powder blue empire, but an unlikely run to the title game. ...

Duke was top 10 pre-season in 1990 and climbed as high as #3 in the polls. Though the team faltered a bit down the stretch, my sense is we thought we had just as good of a shot as anyone else (esp. given we'd been to 3 Final Fours in 4 years and 2 in a row in 1988 and 1989).

Interesting to me is the outsized expectations nowadays. In K's first ten years (1981-1990) coaching at Duke, Duke won a combined total of three ACC regular season or tournament championships (1986 regular and tourney; 1988 tourney). Phil's teams lost 20 ACC regular season games in 4 years (and yet made 3 Final Fours).

Compare the most recent 10-year run (2002-03 to 2011-12) where Duke won a combined total of nine ACC regular season or tournament championships. Or the crazy 10-year run from 1997 to 2006 where Duke won a combined total of fourteen ACC regular season or tournament championships.

Phil's teams went 36-20 (64%) in ACC play ... the most recent completed 4-year run was 50-14 (78%).