PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical Other Type of "One and Done" Team

awhom111
02-17-2013, 01:00 AM
There has been plenty of discussion of one model of team made up almost exclusively of one and done freshmen. Watching college basketball this year, it has been interesting to see a number of immediately eligible transfers contribute to their new teams. Given the longer than typical break between games for us, I thought this would be interesting hypothetical discussion. What if some major conference program had no players for a year and had a graduate program not available at any other school? What if they targeted all of the immediately eligible transfers instead of recruiting freshmen or junior college players? Would this team take longer to gel than a team relying on a large number of incoming freshmen? How would this team do? Is this a larger than typical quality of power conference transfers of this type or could you actually theoretically put together a new team of 8 or 9 players like this every season?

For reference, here are 11 players who were available immediately and the numbers they are putting up for their new team:
Dez Wells, Maryland, 12.0 ppg, 4.7 rpg
Charles Carmouche, LSU, 8.8 ppg, 3.9 rpg, 3.8 apg
Trent Lockett, Marquette, 7.5 ppg, 4.7 rpg
Mark Lyons, Arizona, 15.2 ppg
Julius Mays, Kentucky, 9.3 ppg
Alex Oriakhi, Missouri, 10.7 ppg, 8.7 rpg
Kyle Randall, Central Michigan, 17.7 ppg
DeShawn Painter, Old Dominion, 12.5 ppg, 8.4 rpg
Arsalan Kazemi, Oregon, 8.9 ppg, 9.5 rpg
Omar Oraby, USC, 6.3 ppg, 3.5 rpg
Trey Ziegler, Pitt, 5.6 ppg

My list is probably not exhaustive, so if there are any other transfers that fit this description, please add them.

awhom111
02-17-2013, 01:19 AM
I already forgot a player that I was going to put on the list:

Jared Swopshire, Northwestern, 9.7 ppg, 6.7 rpg

niveklaen
02-17-2013, 08:08 AM
Wow - great idea for a team.

I suspect that such a team in practice would not be as good as the 'traditional' one and done teams that KY puts together because it would consist soley of guys with essentially zero chance of making the NBA but it would be interesting to see pure experience against pure talent.

awhom111
02-18-2013, 04:18 PM
Wow - great idea for a team.

I suspect that such a team in practice would not be as good as the 'traditional' one and done teams that KY puts together because it would consist soley of guys with essentially zero chance of making the NBA but it would be interesting to see pure experience against pure talent.

Yes, I do not think that this type of team would win a national championship, but it would be a solid group. The 12 that I posted would probably struggle in the Big Ten and probably not make it to the tournament in the Big East, but I think they could earn an at large from any other conference. I think that it could actually win the Pac 12 (even if you cloned their Pac 12 players). I do wonder if this year's crop is better than transfers available in other years though.