PDA

View Full Version : Superbad = is it really?

DevilAlumna
08-17-2007, 05:27 PM
Has anyone caught a pre-screening of Judd Apatow's latest, "Superbad"? I think it's getting good reviews, but lately, I don't trust professional movie critics. If anyone does see it this weekend, please post your thoughts!

I wonder if it'll be a box office surprise success like "Knocked Up," -- it's poised to get a lot of "ohmigod, school is starting soon, let's go do something" traffic.

hc5duke
08-17-2007, 05:40 PM
Has anyone caught a pre-screening of Judd Apatow's latest, "Superbad"? I think it's getting good reviews, but lately, I don't trust professional movie critics. If anyone does see it this weekend, please post your thoughts!

I wonder if it'll be a box office surprise success like "Knocked Up," -- it's poised to get a lot of "ohmigod, school is starting soon, let's go do something" traffic.

87% fresh on rotten tomato (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/superbad/), that's gotta be good for something. I'm pretty sure I'll like it and you probably need to have somewhat twisted sense of humor (South Park, Borat, Will Ferrel).

billybreen
08-17-2007, 09:04 PM
Very excited. Jonah Hill and Michael Cera are brilliant.

hc5duke
08-18-2007, 03:58 PM
Just saw it - it was hilarious. Don't want to spoil anything, but I went in hoping it wouldn't turn out to be another American Pie type of story, and it was lightyears better. I definitely could relate better to these kids than the one-dimensional characters in American Pie.

P.S. Panama is one badass song

Channing
08-18-2007, 05:22 PM
I agree with the above sentiments. Just saw it, very very very funny.

rthomas
08-18-2007, 07:19 PM
What is the age range that might find this funny? I have a 15 and 13 yr old? I'm just a smidggen over...ok 50.

billybreen
08-19-2007, 12:46 AM
Just saw it: very funny. If it didn't live up to my expectations, it was only because nothing possibly could have. Animal House wouldn't live up to the expectations I had for this movie. With that said, I highly recommend, assuming you can deal with a preponderance of phallic humor (with heart).

Hip 50 year olds would enjoy it, and 13 and 15 year olds would definitely enjoy (with friends, that is; it would be super awkward to see this movie with your parents).

blazindw
08-19-2007, 02:53 AM
I agree...saw it yesterday. Outstandingly funny!

Channing
08-19-2007, 12:58 PM
ill be honest - I dont know if its appropriate for a 13 year old. 15 OK.

billybreen
08-19-2007, 02:36 PM
ill be honest - I dont know if its appropriate for a 13 year old. 15 OK.

Well, I'm close enough to 13 (not that close, 2x13<me<2x15) to remember that I definitely saw movies like this at that age. Not always with parental consent, of course, but somehow there was always a way.

Appropriate? Depends how you define it, but I'm willing to bet they've already seen as bad elsewhere, in schoolyard conversations if nowhere else.

jma4life
08-19-2007, 02:54 PM
Honestly, 13 is probably a little too young imo.

billybreen
08-19-2007, 03:00 PM
Honestly, 13 is probably a little too young imo.

Ok, I relent. I would probably be a terrible father, though chances are my notions of what is or isn't appropriate would change dramatically once I had kids. :)

unexpected
08-19-2007, 07:01 PM
This movie is way, way raunchier than I ever expected. I wouldn't take anyone under the age of 14, and I would definitely not see this one with your kids.

It'll be the most awkward car ride home (way worse than American Pie).

That being said, I loved it, and I think every guy would. I saw some girls complaining about it after it was over though- there was definitely a lot of bathroom/locker room humor.

JasonEvans
08-20-2007, 07:45 AM
There is a cool weebsite I use to help me decide if it is ok for my kids (8 and 10-year-old boys). It is http://www.kids-in-mind.com/ The website has extensive details about everything in a movie. It also "grades" each flick with a 1-10 in three categories: Sex and Nudity, Violence & Gore, and Profanity.

SuperBad gets a "10" in profanity. Kids-in-mind says it has the following:

175 F-word and its derivatives, 2 obscene hand gestures, 50 sexual references, 63 scatological terms (8 mild), 80 anatomical terms (1 mild), 19 mild obscenities, 2 derogatory terms for homosexuals, name-calling (idiot, stupid, dumb, retard, loser), 2 religious profanities, 10 religious exclamations.

I find it most useful to compare films-- Transformers got a 4-6-5 (4 in sex, 6 in violence, 5 in profanity). Bourne Ultimatum got a 3-6-4.

Knocked up scored a 9-5-10. Superbad scores and 8-5-10... so it is very similar to Knocked Up. The 40-year-old Virgin got an 8-4-10. Can you tell that Judd Apatow films all seem somewhat similar?

--Jason "this is a 114 mionute film that has 175 f-bombs and 63 s-bombs... that's more than 2 a minute... impressive!" Evans

DevilWolf
08-20-2007, 09:36 AM
This movie is for people who wanted to like Sideways, but who weren't really old enough to relate to the characters to really love Sideways.

Regarding the profanity, a movie like American Pie used profanity to make it young and it ended up being really awkward in its dialogue. Not the case in Superbad, which almost makes it more tolerable because the "F" word doesn't stick out much when it's said. It's really pretty seamless.