PDA

View Full Version : Do we still use the "D with Blue Devil inside" logo?

hurleyfor3
02-15-2013, 03:18 PM
Espn, both the teevee network and web site, exclusively use the plain "D" nowadays, without the Blue Devil inside. Anyone know whether this comes from University/athletic department policy?

The alternate logo with the basketball and basket inside the "D" were gone from the unis and center court of Cameron as of last season.

An official Duke logo guide, dated 2011, can be found here (http://www.trademarklicensing.duke.edu/Duke_2011.pdf). (No, you can't change the url for a 2012 or 2013 version.) We used to use #5 most prominently, now it's #7.

Reilly
02-15-2013, 03:23 PM
In somewhat related news, it seems the baseball team now uses the Iron D and not the Gothic D on their caps. I like that change. I recall reading (I think) Kevin White saying something about two years ago about more uniformity and use of the Iron D logo being predominant ... but cannot find such an article now.

Bluedog
02-15-2013, 04:57 PM
I remember reading a few years ago that the athletic department is making an effort to have a consistent logo across sports and they want it simplified and thus the Blue Devil is no longer officially in the D. In addition, the basket has been removed from inside the D on the court itself for basketball like you said. They repainted the court a couple years ago and also reduced the size of "Duke" on the baselines so the media no longer covers it up (as well as painting the seats blue, etc.). I can probably dig up the article; it's definitely just plain now, and that comes from the Duke athletic department, not just ESPN making the decision.

msdukie
02-16-2013, 09:01 PM
Duke went through a Nike-assisted rebranding which went into effect with the 2011-2012 season for all sports.

The primary logo is now the Iron Duke D. Though a lot of non-local media is slow, this is now the only image that is supposed to be used by TV, papers, Internet, etc.

The secondary logo is now the Devil Head, by itself.

The Devil head in the D will ultimately be used as a "throwback" presumably. Some retailers are still using it, but I've been told that as licenses are renewed, it will disappear. Nike isn't using it, except on a few "vintage" items.

The D with the Devil Head can only be found two places on the athletic campus (see if you can guess where) and both will be replaced during the construction of the next year.

Duke also changed the block "D U K E" slightly and made it uniform across all sports (see below) - the block is thicker and wider, this is reflected on the summer 2011 repainting of the Cameron floor.

Finally, the number font was changed. Most notably look at the change in the 5s and 2s on the uniforms. This is true in all sports (though the football team is still wearing the same uniforms from the 2008 season with no changes).

The Duke Basketball logo still appears to be in use as a secondary logo only - for the last 2 years, the logo is still on the travel jackets the men and women wear (but which are not sold - but on no other merchandise or apparel) and Blue Planet still uses the logo. It also appears in various graphics around Cameron (and the chairs) that have not been upgraded in the last 2 years, including the museum.

Compare the changes here.

Before:

http://www.blueplanetshots.com/2010-11/ACC-Tournament/ACC-Championship-Duke-75-UNC/16183218_KHZJK4#!i=1215320836&k=7Gn9rdr
http://www.blueplanetshots.com/2010-11/ACC-Tournament/ACC-Championship-Duke-75-UNC/16183218_KHZJK4#!i=1215325274&k=FddFjGs
http://www.blueplanetshots.com/2010-11/ACC-Tournament/ACC-Championship-Duke-75-UNC/16183218_KHZJK4#!i=1215323237&k=TsgB4sK

After:
http://www.blueplanetshots.com/2012-13/Games/Duke-62-Boston-College-61/27960080_DRbV39#!i=2360228732&k=rhT62mV
http://www.blueplanetshots.com/2012-13/Games/Duke-62-Boston-College-61/27960080_DRbV39#!i=2360228650&k=D9m5w6C
http://www.blueplanetshots.com/2012-13/Games/Duke-62-Boston-College-61/27960080_DRbV39#!i=2360228958&k=dhnGNsq
http://www.blueplanetshots.com/2012-13/Games/Duke-62-Boston-College-61/27960080_DRbV39#!i=2360228921&k=hBnxHnk

Reilly
02-16-2013, 09:11 PM

The secondary logo is now the Devil Head, by itself....

Which Devil Head?

msdukie
02-16-2013, 10:32 PM
Which Devil Head?

#6:

http://www.trademarklicensing.duke.edu/Duke_2011.pdf

throatybeard
02-16-2013, 10:37 PM
What I've learned from this is that Ds are usually good, and cartoon devils are usually lame.

OZZIE4DUKE
02-17-2013, 11:17 AM
The first window sticker I put on my car freshman year (fall 1972) was #13, the Gothic "Duke University". It's still a favorite of mine. Very classy looking! :cool:

ricks68
02-17-2013, 11:31 AM
The first window sticker I put on my car freshman year (fall 1972) was #13, the Gothic "Duke University". It's still a favorite of mine. Very classy looking! :cool:

#13 and #15 were my favorites. I also had a sweatshirt with "Duke University" in block letters on the front that were only about 1/4 of an inch high and maybe a total of about 3-4 inches across.

ricks

nmduke2001
11-24-2016, 10:17 AM
Did anyone else notice the shirts the players were wearing on the bench? They said "Brotherhood" and had the "D" with the basketball in it logo. I thought the athletic department had retired the sports specific logos. Glad to see it. Recently, I had only seen it on dukeblueplanet.com.

Newton_14
11-24-2016, 10:35 AM
http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=6891&stc=1
Did anyone else notice the shirts the players were wearing on the bench? They said "Brotherhood" and had the "D" with the basketball in it logo. I thought the athletic department had retired the sports specific logos. Glad to see it. Recently, I had only seen it on dukeblueplanet.com.

They wear them every game. It's part of this year's official gameday warm up gear. Ironically I mentioned to my daughter last night at the game I would love to buy one but she said they don't sell them currently in the Duke Stores.

uh_no
11-24-2016, 10:45 AM

they had, even removing it from the center of K court....though I imagine K has enough clout to get whatever he wants on the shirts.

wilko
11-24-2016, 11:01 AM
Interesting fun stuff.
Years ago DC comics created this guy... Cant think of another college mascot that has their own comic. Just saying...

This is one of my all time favorite bumper-stickers..

Second only to the basketball that had a Blue devil (slightly reminiscent of the Underwood ham devil) inside of the ball.
I don't remember any other text on it.. I went to google it and couldn't find it... :(

But I found THIS and now think I have a new favorite... :cool:

YmoBeThere
11-24-2016, 11:21 AM
they had, even removing it from the center of K court...though I imagine K has enough clout to get whatever he wants on the shirts.

But not enough clout to get what he wants on the court that bears his moniker? lol!

duke74
11-24-2016, 11:26 AM

Had this on my first car (a 'stang) for years (the one I had at Duke - 70-74). Whimsical...

And the window sticker "Duke University" in Gothic lettering.

Now that I am old and "mature" all I have is my "Duke74" NYC license plate. Think my loyalties are obvious enough from that. :)

elvis14
11-24-2016, 01:42 PM
Espn, both the teevee network and web site, exclusively use the plain "D" nowadays, without the Blue Devil inside. Anyone know whether this comes from University/athletic department policy?

The alternate logo with the basketball and basket inside the "D" were gone from the unis and center court of Cameron as of last season.

An official Duke logo guide, dated 2011, can be found here (http://www.trademarklicensing.duke.edu/Duke_2011.pdf). (No, you can't change the url for a 2012 or 2013 version.) We used to use #5 most prominently, now it's #7.

I really like #5 and #8 ('D' with blue devil head and basketball and net). Was bummed when I heard they were phasing them out.

rsvman
11-24-2016, 01:57 PM
I really like #5 and #8 ('D' with blue devil head and basketball and net). Was bummed when I heard they were phasing them out.

Favorites of mine, as well.

I also love the #s 1 and 2. In fact, my 19-year-old son was wearing a shirt with #2 on it yesterday.

Bay Area Duke Fan
11-24-2016, 02:34 PM
In fact, my 19-year-old son was wearing a shirt with #2 on it yesterday.

Maybe he can wash it off.

rsvman
11-24-2016, 02:46 PM
Maybe he can wash it off.

Ha! Love it.

brevity
11-24-2016, 03:42 PM
Cant think of another college mascot that has their own comic.

Michigan?

OldPhiKap
11-24-2016, 03:51 PM
USC's mascot has its own product. That's impressive.

wilko
11-24-2016, 10:31 PM
Michigan?

They go out of their way to say he's Canadian...

Rich
11-24-2016, 10:55 PM

Wade Wacko? Is that really a thing?

msdukie
11-24-2016, 11:09 PM

The Duke Basketball logo has always continued to be used as a "limited use" mark. Blue Planet always continued to use it, it is on graphics in the practice facility, offices etc., but it is not used on anything sold, on the Cameron floor or on the uniforms. You can't buy anything with it, which has been true since 2011. The team has always had its own special gear that continued to the use the ball and hoop logo, but not be sold. That being said, there is a little more Duke Basketball logo this year - it is on the basketballs the men's and women's teams use after a 5 year absence and it is on the manager's polos again. it's also used on the combined official social media feeds whereas before it was used on Blue Planet's feeds, but not the GoDuke social media sites. So, yes, there is a little more of it this year, but it's not going to be on the uniforms or standard warmups or anything you can buy. The Brotherhood shirts are a special shirt just made for the team and will never be made for the public.

msdukie
11-24-2016, 11:12 PM
The Gothic logo/shield is also disappearing from building signs being replaced by the new "Duke" custom university logo.

devildeac
11-24-2016, 11:30 PM
Interesting fun stuff.
Years ago DC comics created this guy... Cant think of another college mascot that has their own comic. Just saying...

Second only to the basketball that had a Blue devil (slightly reminiscent of the Underwood ham devil) inside of the ball.
I don't remember any other text on it.. I went to google it and couldn't find it... :(

But I found THIS and now think I have a new favorite... :cool:

Had this on my first car (a 'stang) for years (the one I had at Duke - 70-74). Whimsical...

And the window sticker "Duke University" in Gothic lettering.

Now that I am old and "mature" all I have is my "Duke74" NYC license plate. Think my loyalties are obvious enough from that. :)

Massive sporks if you can find (a photo/link of) the bumper sticker with the last Blue Devil only holding up 1 digit...

DoubleBlue
11-25-2016, 10:06 AM
#6:

http://www.trademarklicensing.duke.edu/Duke_2011.pdf

A more recent version of the Duke trademark appears at:
http://www.trademarklicensing.duke.edu/logo_sheet.pdf
It's dated April 4, 2013 and it seems to be the current/latest version.
It no longer shows the 'Iron Duke D with Basketball', 'Iron Duke D with Football' or 'Gothic D' logo variations.

DoubleBlue
11-25-2016, 02:43 PM
I'm fairly new here at DBR, and there's probably a thread I couldn't find... but has anyone noticed how much Tyus Jones looks like the Blue Devil mascot?

WiJoe
11-25-2016, 02:49 PM
The fact there is nothing with the ball and basket inside the D available for purchase, combined with too much inventory in black means next to zero of my discretionary $$$$ will be spent purchasing Duke gear.

But who cares? Right?

Rich
11-25-2016, 03:13 PM
A more recent version of the Duke trademark appears at:
http://www.trademarklicensing.duke.edu/logo_sheet.pdf
It's dated April 4, 2013 and it seems to be the current/latest version.
It no longer shows the 'Iron Duke D with Basketball', 'Iron Duke D with Football' or 'Gothic D' logo variations.

Cameron Crazie and Wade Wacko also removed from the newer version.

Edouble
11-25-2016, 03:28 PM
Massive sporks if you can find (a photo/link of) the bumper sticker with the last Blue Devil only holding up 1 digit...

I like sporks, so...

devildeac
12-01-2016, 11:35 PM
I like sporks, so...

Outstanding. Expect a PM in the AM about the "rest of the story." I'm too tired to compose tonight.

;)

weezie
12-02-2016, 08:46 AM
Logos are swell and all but WHAT is going on with the new "West Side Story" ankle pant warm ups?!

Flood waters must be rising somewhere along the Eno because the team looks ready to man the lifeboats.

And are they going to start tailoring the thigh underpads to not fall below the new short shorts?
It's kind of a hot mess out there right now.

nmduke2001
07-07-2018, 02:46 PM
The Duke Basketball logo has always continued to be used as a "limited use" mark. Blue Planet always continued to use it, it is on graphics in the practice facility, offices etc., but it is not used on anything sold, on the Cameron floor or on the uniforms. You can't buy anything with it, which has been true since 2011. The team has always had its own special gear that continued to the use the ball and hoop logo, but not be sold. That being said, there is a little more Duke Basketball logo this year - it is on the basketballs the men's and women's teams use after a 5 year absence and it is on the manager's polos again. it's also used on the combined official social media feeds whereas before it was used on Blue Planet's feeds, but not the GoDuke social media sites. So, yes, there is a little more of it this year, but it's not going to be on the uniforms or standard warmups or anything you can buy. The Brotherhood shirts are a special shirt just made for the team and will never be made for the public.

Looks like Nike is producing product with the D and basketball logo again.
http://www.shopdukestores.duke.edu/ePOS?form=shared3/gm/merch.html&item_number=45696&cat=506&store=106&design=106

HereBeforeCoachK
07-08-2018, 02:59 PM
Wade Wacko? Is that really a thing?

Bob Harris tried to make it a thing...but no, it's not a thing. Not yet anyway.

Oh, I like 5 and 6, dislike all the devil head logos....they look cartoonish.....and the best may be the Duke cursive script seen on the football helmets.

msdukie
07-08-2018, 10:59 PM
Looks like Nike is producing product with the D and basketball logo again.
http://www.shopdukestores.duke.edu/ePOS?form=shared3/gm/merch.html&item_number=45696&cat=506&store=106&design=106

Those came out in Feb 2017 (along with a black one). They are the only post-2011 product with a ball and hoop, unfortunately.

HereBeforeCoachK
07-09-2018, 01:51 PM
Those came out in Feb 2017 (along with a black one). They are the only post-2011 product with a ball and hoop, unfortunately.

Off the top of my head, the Iron D with the ball and hoop started in the Bill Foster era......is that right?

msdukie
07-09-2018, 11:21 PM
Off the top of my head, the Iron D with the ball and hoop started in the Bill Foster era...is that right?

On the uniforms yes, but I've seen a picture of the 1973-74 team (McGeachy) in their warmups celebrating the program's 1000th all time win (vs. Virginia) and I think that the logo is on the warmups. Unforutunately, I cannot find the photo now.

HereBeforeCoachK
07-10-2018, 07:24 AM
On the uniforms yes, but I've seen a picture of the 1973-74 team (McGeachy) in their warmups celebrating the program's 1000th all time win (vs. Virginia) and I think that the logo is on the warmups. Unforutunately, I cannot find the photo now.

The only doubtful thing is that McGeachy's team ever won anything....J/K. :cool:

Thanks for the info. I like that logo...liked it from the start when I saw it on Foster's teams. And while we're on topic, the Iron D on the football uniforms...my first memory of that is under McGee - the silver helmets with the blue Iron D. Good looking helmet.

DU82
07-10-2018, 08:12 PM
The only doubtful thing is that McGeachy's team ever won anything...J/K. :cool:

Thanks for the info. I like that logo...liked it from the start when I saw it on Foster's teams. And while we're on topic, the Iron D on the football uniforms...my first memory of that is under McGee - the silver helmets with the blue Iron D. Good looking helmet.

When I arrived on campus 40 years ago next month, the helmets had the script Duke with the devil’s tail on th e D. That stayed with various colors until 2004 when Ted Roof decided it looked dumb, and replaced it with the Iron Duke D. Didn’t help. I’ve always liked the script D on the helmets. Love the old school devils head more, though.

HereBeforeCoachK
07-10-2018, 08:23 PM
When I arrived on campus 40 years ago next month, the helmets had the script Duke with the devil’s tail on th e D. That stayed with various colors until 2004 when Ted Roof decided it looked dumb, and replaced it with the Iron Duke D. Didn’t help. I’ve always liked the script D on the helmets. Love the old school devils head more, though.

The script on the FB helmets now looks very clean, very sharp. I can't remember if that's the same script from Roofs era and before. As for the Iron D, I know McGee's teams used that - prior to Roof. In this day of multiple uniforms, I like the Iron D or the DUKE script - not crazy about the cartoonish devils head.

luvdahops
07-10-2018, 11:23 PM
The script on the FB helmets now looks very clean, very sharp. I can't remember if that's the same script from Roofs era and before. As for the Iron D, I know McGee's teams used that - prior to Roof. In this day of multiple uniforms, I like the Iron D or the DUKE script - not crazy about the cartoonish devils head.

Helmets where white with the script “Duke” when I was an undergrad. I always found that look to be pretty cheesy (there is a reason why script is rarely is used in football IMHO), and welcomed the switch to the Iron Duke D. But I was surprisingly OK with the script helmets in our bowl game, and can deal with them as a limited use alternate look. Indifferent to the Devil head, and have a strong preference for the white or blue Iron Duke D versions, and wish we stuck with those two for the vast majority of games.