PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke at Maryland Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

Pages : [1] 2

Bob Green
02-15-2013, 07:06 AM
Well the first Carolina game is in the rear view mirror so it is time to turn our focus toward the second Maryland game. Three of the next four games are on the road starting in College Park against a Terps team desperately seeking a signature win.

davekay1971
02-15-2013, 08:07 AM
The problem that Maryland presents is that they are one of the few teams in the ACC with a center who is big enough and athletic enough to really bother Mason. Mason has shown, time and time again, that he's a reliable go-to guy if the team's outside shots aren't falling. While there are some other good centers in the conference, guys like Howell and Johnson give up enough inches to Mason that he can get a clean look at the basket over them with that hook shot. UNC's beanpoles, meanwhile, may match Mason's height but don't have enough strength to keep him away from the basket. Len has the height and, this season, has enough strength to hold his own.

That means our outside shooters are going to have to connect on some shots, and our defense will have to be as good as Maryland's. Normally I don't worry about our outside shooters...even without Ryan, we've got Seth, Quinn, Tyler, and Rasheed, all of whom are good shooters. But, on road games, we've seen that all four of those guys can have off nights.

This is one of the few remaining games on the schedule that concerns me. Partially that's because Maryland's defense can bother us. Partially that's because I hate Maryland with such passion that even the idea of seeing their obnoxious repeat-offender fans storming the court makes me want to vomit. And I don't want to vomit. I'm drinking a good cup of coffee right now and guarantee you it tastes better going down than it would coming up.

Maryland needs to be reminded one more time before they take their hatred and envy to the Big 10 (enjoy that, Mich St, Michigan, Indiana, and Ohio State!), that they ARE NOT OUR RIVALS. They just aren't good enough.

Billy Dat
02-15-2013, 09:30 AM
While I don't think it would help us win, I would love the theater of an NBA-All-Star-break-freed JJ Reddick, in plain clothes, leading the team onto the court and, while they did their warm up, stomping around the court flashing the 3 sign and generally behaving like a pro wrestler. That would be a fitting start to the last Duke game at College Park.

HaveFunExpectToWin
02-15-2013, 09:34 AM
I considered doing everything I could to go see the final game against MD in College Park to celebrate our long and storied history, but then I thought better of it.

Meh, so long Terps.

sagegrouse
02-15-2013, 09:40 AM
Well the first Carolina game is in the rear view mirror so it is time to turn our focus toward the second Maryland game. Three of the next four games are on the road starting in College Park against a Terps team desperately seeking a signature win.

Questions for the game:

1. Can Maryland's big guards prevent penetration and open shots by their Duke counterparts?

2. Can Duke take advantage of the Terp guards' lack of handle -- fastbreak city?

3. Can Alex Len, playing one-on-one, keep Mason under control?

4. Which Duke shooting team will show up? The team that shot lights out at FSU and against State, or the one that couldn't buy a bucket on the road against BC and Wake?

sagegrouse

subzero02
02-15-2013, 09:41 AM
Len really worries me... Mason better look at this as a personal challenge(especially from a rebounding and defensive perspective)

Durham Thunder
02-15-2013, 10:12 AM
Although Maryland hates us more than any other team, their home atmosphere has definitely been week this year in comparison.

At home they've lost to a mediocre FSU, a semi-decent UVA, and basically had a loss to NC State if it were not for a very lucky tip. I think because UNC gave Duke a jolt and forced them to wake up, we won't have a hangover from Wednesday.

DukeAlumBS
02-15-2013, 10:15 AM
My dear friends,

Plumlee has done a great job, with Kelly out.
He has done well against the double team for that matter.
Alex Len poses a problem. Alex will do his scoring.
Some one hit the nail on the head. We need to "hit out shots."
Seth Currey has to come out in the first half strong as well as the second in this game! That will open up our other shooters!
Someone made a comment that they were going to this game. ENJOY!!!
Do not wear your Duke hat or sweatshirt!!
Like the Miami crowd!

Go Duke! Duke by 12-15 in this game!

Nice day my friends, have nice weekend

Jimmy

Kedsy
02-15-2013, 10:51 AM
The problem that Maryland presents is that they are one of the few teams in the ACC with a center who is big enough and athletic enough to really bother Mason. Mason has shown, time and time again, that he's a reliable go-to guy if the team's outside shots aren't falling. While there are some other good centers in the conference, guys like Howell and Johnson give up enough inches to Mason that he can get a clean look at the basket over them with that hook shot. UNC's beanpoles, meanwhile, may match Mason's height but don't have enough strength to keep him away from the basket. Len has the height and, this season, has enough strength to hold his own.

3. Can Alex Len, playing one-on-one, keep Mason under control?

Len really worries me... Mason better look at this as a personal challenge(especially from a rebounding and defensive perspective)

Alex Len poses a problem. Alex will do his scoring.

Unless the exploding meteor in the Urals caused some sort of time schism, we've already played Maryland, just three weeks ago. Mason shot 9 for 12, for 19 points. Len shot 3 for 6, for 8 points. I know Alex Len is a good player, and he might play better than he did in Durham, but why are we acting like he has the advantage in this matchup?

Reilly
02-15-2013, 10:51 AM
Maryland at home against the ACC this year:

VT +23
FSU -3
NCSU +1
BC +5
WFU +26
UVA -11

Sports-reference.com pegs as us 11 points better than them on a neutral court, so maybe Duke favored by 8 there? What is the Vegas line?

superdave
02-15-2013, 11:07 AM
Unless the exploding meteor in the Urals caused some sort of time schism, we've already played Maryland, just three weeks ago. Mason shot 9 for 12, for 19 points. Len shot 3 for 6, for 8 points. I know Alex Len is a good player, and he might play better than he did in Durham, but why are we acting like he has the advantage in this matchup?

Mason seemed to succeed at drawing Len out of the paint, then using his quickness to go by Len. Hopefully that is effective for Mason tomorrow, without him trying to get too fancy with the dribble.

I would expect Duke to come out with more energy than they did Wednesday night. If not, Tyler deserves the minutes of any starter who does not have his head in the game.

Super "Thinking of scalping a ticket tomorrow...." Dave

davekay1971
02-15-2013, 11:58 AM

I don't think Len has the advantage, and I hope my post didn't imply that. I think Mason has better skills, more experience, and more athleticism. I wasn't comparing Mason to Len, as much as comparing Len to the other centers that Mason is facing in the ACC. Perhaps the better way of putting it is that Len has certain physical attributes that may put him at less of a disadvantage to Mason than other ACC centers. But, yes, Mason absolutely gets the edge over Len in their head-to-head matchup.

Heck, Mason gets the advantage over just about every other college center in America in a head-to-head matchup...despite the AAU-confirmed dogma that Duke can't develop big me. :rolleyes:

Olympic Fan
02-15-2013, 12:03 PM
Just a few points:

-- This MIGHT be Duke's last trip to Maryland .... but it might not be. Maryland doesn't leave for the Big Ten until after next season. It's possible that Duke and Maryland may meet twice next year, home and home. It's also possible they'll meet once in Comcast and it's possible they'll meet once in Cameron, which is the only outcome that makes this Duke's last visit.

-- It's been pointed out that Maryland's homecourt has been kind of lame so far this season. That won't be the case Saturday. It's like Tallahassee ... it's always half filled -- except when Duke (and sometimes UNC) visit. BC was full for Duke's visit -- did anybody see how empty it was for the Wake visit three days later? Comcast is going to be packed. It's going to be rocking. And it's going to be nasty.

-- This is Maryland's last chance to get a resume win. Right now, they are outside the NCAA bubble ... and Duke is their last chance to beat a top 20 RPI team. The Terps are going to play harder than they have at any time this season.

-- K acknowledged that Duke was a very tired team after the UNC game. Maryland has had a week off to get ready for Duke. That's a lot to overcome.

-- The matchup that bothers me is not Plumlee vs. Len -- Mason proved he can handle himself against the big guy. But what about the other two forwards? We're starting three guys and either Josh or the 205-pound Jefferson. They start Clear, who is 6-9, 300-plus pounds and bring in Mitchell, who is 6-8 and about 290. (I know they are listed at 270 and 260 respectivey, but if you saw them in Durham, you know those weights are understated). Lately, Turgeon has been starting 6-8, 230 James Padgett at SMALL forward. Throw in his startibng backcourt of 6-5 Dez Wells and 6-6 Nick Faust -- and they are HUGE. Obviously, they haven't been overpowering, but with our lineup we'd better hit some shots. I also worry about the officiating. In Durham, Maryland started Cleare on Mason, not Len. It seemed like his job was to bump Mason all over the court -- he was doing it while they were running downcourt in transition. Eventually he got in foul trouble and that's when Mason went off. It's sometimes tough to get the calls on the road. Maryland is going to be VERY physical. Will they get called for it?

-- Part of me hates to see Maryland leave the ACC, part of me says good riddance. I get annoyed by the whole debate over the rivalry -- they say we're your rival ... we say no you aren't. I was reading a Maryland message board the other day to see what they were saying about Duke's visit and I ran across something interesting. There was a Virginia fan who posted a nice message, bidding the Terps farewell and talking about how much he was going to miss the Virginia-Maryland rivalry. Almost every response on the thread was from a Maryland fan, saying 'What rivalry?' "We're not rivals with you guys.'

The irony was delicious.

davekay1971
02-15-2013, 12:11 PM
The single best thing about this article is the picture used at the top. Look at the guy standing to the right of the guy holding the "Breath if you hate Duke" sign. He seriously looks like he's trying to remember to breathe. You can almost hear the internal monologue: "I hate Duke. Breathe in. I hate Duke. Breathe out. I hate Duke. Breathe in. I hate Duke. Breathe out. I smell popcorn. Buttery popcorn would be delicious right now. Oh, crap, I forgot to breathe!"

http://www.diamondbackonline.com/sports/men_basketball/article_baa8b9fa-7737-11e2-b565-001a4bcf6878.html

Durham Thunder
02-15-2013, 12:34 PM
Have you guys seen the road uniforms for tomorrow?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=504772839561129&set=pb.220806244624458.-2207520000.1360949656&type=3&theater

Much better than what was initially previewed.

UrinalCake
02-15-2013, 12:48 PM
Once again mason absolutely has to stay out of foul trouble. Any chance we'll see Marshall come in and defend Len? I know he doesn't look ready, but anything he can provide has to be better than the matador defense Mason is forced to play in order to avoid fouls. If nothing else, use the five fouls to put Len at the line where he shoots 66%. If Len gets uncontested layups/dunks while Mason backs off, that's going to really get the crowd into it.

TruBlu
02-15-2013, 01:03 PM
Once again mason absolutely has to stay out of foul trouble. Any chance we'll see Marshall come in and defend Len? I know he doesn't look ready, but anything he can provide has to be better than the matador defense Mason is forced to play in order to avoid fouls. If nothing else, use the five fouls to put Len at the line where he shoots 66%. If Len gets uncontested layups/dunks while Mason backs off, that's going to really get the crowd into it.

The bolded statement above should be a sticky for the rest of the year. It might be lessened somewhat when (if) Ryan returns, but will still be true. As far as Marshall is concerned, I just don't think Coach K will sub Marshall in for Mason for any lengthy time unless Mason is in deep foul trouble early. Apparently Mason's matador defense is preferred over no Mason at all.

cptnflash
02-15-2013, 01:09 PM
This game scares the pants off of me. We're the better team for sure, but not by a huge margin. But more importantly, every conceivable intangible will favor the Terps tomorrow - home court refs, revenge for the game three weeks ago, desperation regarding their NCAA tournament chances, way more rest (they haven't played since Sunday, and haven't traveled since the previous Thursday), and a super-charged atmosphere that could legitimately rattle our freshmen (this one of the reasons I think Amile won't start tomorrow - the other being size). Maryland message boards and local media are full of references to the fact that this could be the last Duke/MD game ever in College Park. They are going to bring it big time.

This is one of the rare times that I will be completely satisfied with an ugly, 1 point win against an inferior opponent. Anything better than that is gravy in my book.

AtlBluRew
02-15-2013, 01:23 PM
From the first Diamondback article:

"It must be hard on both campuses. The Cameron Crazies would likely never admit the Terps are a rival, but they don’t have to say it for us to know it. When the two teams met in Cameron Indoor on Jan. 26, students serenaded the Terps with chants of “not our rival.” If they care enough about this university to chant about how it’s not their rival, that probably means they know it’s their rival."

By this logic, the girl who says, "I won't go out with you," ....wants you BAD!

Reilly
02-15-2013, 01:41 PM
... By this logic, the girl who says, "I won't go out with you," ....wants you BAD!

... and the girl who -- when she sees you coming -- turns the other way 11 straight times, but one time actually held the door open for you when you trailed her, not realizing it was you ... well, that's an intense emotional connection right there.

"It doesn’t matter that the Terps have only beaten the Blue Devils once in their past 11 meetings. It doesn’t matter that their only win in the series since 2008 came three years ago when Greivis Vasquez banked in a game-sealing runner, students flooded the court and fans rioted on Route 1. The rivalry is just as intense as ever."

CDu
02-15-2013, 02:05 PM
Maryland poses an interesting challenge. They are HUGE. At nearly every position, they are very very big. They start a 7+ foot center (Len). They rotate two 260+lb guys at PF and backup C (Mitchell, Cleare), and toss in a 235lb senior at PF as well. On the perimeter, they are big as well, with Faust (6'6", 205), Wells (6'5", 215), Howard (6'3", 190), Aronhalt (6'3", 205), and Layman (6'8", 205). Only Allen (6'1", 190) is smallish, but he's terrific as well (he was held out of the first half of the first game against us for disciplinary reasons).

Aronhalt and Layman (don't let his .320 3pt% fool you) are terrific outside shooters. Wells is the star on their team's offense. Allen, Howard, and Faust are capable but unspectacular PG options.

But basically, Maryland's game is predicated on keeping the game ugly, the score low, and hoping to score just enough to win. The key will be not letting their size overwhelm us (especially on the offensive boards) and hitting our shots. If we can get to 70 points, we'll win: they have scored over 70 just thrice in ACC play, and 60 or under 5 times.

Frobisher
02-15-2013, 02:14 PM
We are (were) Maryland's rivals no more than we are Georgia Tech's, Wake's, Clemson's, etc. (or will soon be with Syracuse and Pitt). They are an ACC foe, they had a successful run, and playing a conference game in someone else's house is never a gimme. That said, I will admit to having a particular hatred for them, but it's not born of their strength as a program but the many oft-cited instances of ugliness and classlessness its fan base has perpetrated.

As for the above discussed Marshall issue; I personally think it's rather clear that we've seen how K views his readiness to contribute this season; if MP3 can't get quality minutes when Mason is in foul trouble, when injury leaves a hole he can fill, or even when we have a substantial lead rather late in a game, it appears he simply isn't seen as anything more than a very last resort this year. Obviously, this doesn't mean he can't or won't develop into a regular contributor before he graduates. (I should add that I'm saying this here because, despite Maryland's size, I think we will turn more to Hairston, AJ, and Murphy if Mason gets in foul trouble in the game)

Duvall
02-15-2013, 02:33 PM
Pe'Shon Howard has been suspended for tomorrow's game, which is a tough break for Duke.

throatybeard
02-15-2013, 02:59 PM
I'm not going out with any guy who shouts obscenities at me and throws bottles at me.

Wait, where were we?

Olympic Fan
02-15-2013, 02:59 PM
From the first Diamondback article:

"It must be hard on both campuses. The Cameron Crazies would likely never admit the Terps are a rival, but they don’t have to say it for us to know it. When the two teams met in Cameron Indoor on Jan. 26, students serenaded the Terps with chants of “not our rival.” If they care enough about this university to chant about how it’s not their rival, that probably means they know it’s their rival."

By this logic, the girl who says, "I won't go out with you," ....wants you BAD!

Great, GREAT observation.

Maryland isn't our rival ... they're our stalker!

Kedsy
02-15-2013, 03:04 PM
According to this injury report (http://sportsdirect.usatoday.com/basketball/ncaab-injuries.aspx?page=/data/ncaab/injury/injuries.html), Mason may have tweaked an ankle:

Plumlee is nursing a sore ankle but is expected to play Saturday against Maryland.

Hopefully it's nothing.

Reilly
02-15-2013, 03:07 PM
I'm not going out with any guy who shouts obscenities at me and throws bottles at me....

It's not endearing the way he parades around with a huge blow-up of your face?

Monmouth77
02-15-2013, 03:23 PM
Living in the District for the last decade or so, I've seen enough Terp fan nonsense to last me a lifetime -- especially at various DC-area watering holes during Redick's career.

But the nature of Maryland's singular obssession with Duke is really best summed up for me by an experience I had a Maryland football game. A friend of mine from law school (who grew up in Morgantown, WV) dragged me up to College Park to see Maryland play West Virginia. This was in September 2005 -- several weeks before the basketball season even started. As we parked the car, and got out into the tailgate lot, the first group of people I saw were wearing F*** Duke T-Shirts. In September. At a football game. Against West Virginia.

Putting aside the lame nature of the shirts, it's the sort of fan behavior you really only direct at a longtime, primary bitter rival. Like, I can imagine seeing Duke fans wearing all varieties of UNC parody shirts (or UNC fans wearing Duke Sucks shirts or whatever) at pretty much any sporting event-- or just out to breakfast. Same deal with Michigan-Ohio State I imagine.

But to me this is at the heart of why Maryland is "not our rival." We don't have a Maryland shirt. And if we did, we wouldn't wear it to a lacrosse game against UVA. Or to the mall.

UrinalCake
02-15-2013, 03:29 PM
I guess I wasn't clear when I mentioned Marshall - I'm thinking he should get some time alongside Mason so that he can defend Len. Mason would still have to defend the other biggun' that they have in there, but he would be less of a threat than Len to score and/or draw fouls. On offense we would basically be swapping Hairston/Amile/Murphy for Marshall, none of whom scores very much, so I think that's a wash.

Just an idea. I know Marshall has barely played but I think Maryland's size presents a unique challenge for us.

Duvall
02-15-2013, 03:30 PM
I guess I wasn't clear when I mentioned Marshall - I'm thinking he should get some time alongside Mason so that he can defend Len. Mason would still have to defend the other biggun' that they have in there, but he would be less of a threat than Len to score and/or draw fouls. On offense we would basically be swapping Hairston/Amile/Murphy for Marshall, none of whom scores very much, so I think that's a wash.

Just an idea. I know Marshall has barely played but I think Maryland's size presents a unique challenge for us.

Does it? Virginia just went to Maryland with a four-guard lineup and ran the Terps off their own floor. Size isn't everything.

UrinalCake
02-15-2013, 03:35 PM
Pe'Shon Howard has been suspended for tomorrow's game, which is a tough break for Duke.

He already spent time in the pe'nitentiary last year. I guess he'll have to watch this one from the pe'nalty box.

throatybeard
02-15-2013, 04:07 PM
Living in the District for the last decade or so, I've seen enough Terp fan nonsense to last me a lifetime -- especially at various DC-area watering holes during Redick's career.

But the nature of Maryland's singular obssession with Duke is really best summed up for me by an experience I had a Maryland football game. A friend of mine from law school (who grew up in Morgantown, WV) dragged me up to College Park to see Maryland play West Virginia. This was in September 2005 -- several weeks before the basketball season even started. As we parked the car, and got out into the tailgate lot, the first group of people I saw were wearing F*** Duke T-Shirts. In September. At a football game. Against West Virginia.

Putting aside the lame nature of the shirts, it's the sort of fan behavior you really only direct at a longtime, primary bitter rival. Like, I can imagine seeing Duke fans wearing all varieties of UNC parody shirts (or UNC fans wearing Duke Sucks shirts or whatever) at pretty much any sporting event-- or just out to breakfast. Same deal with Michigan-Ohio State I imagine.

But to me this is at the heart of why Maryland is "not our rival." We don't have a Maryland shirt. And if we did, we wouldn't wear it to a lacrosse game against UVA. Or to the mall.

Let me ask you as an expert witness: when did this silliness start? When I was a kid in the 1980s, I thought Virginia and Maryland were primary rivals, at least in basketball. Is it partly that Virginia fell off in the Gillen years, around the same time Maryland become very good and we were very good? Is it that Virginia has a wandering eye for Virginia Tech? It just doesn't make much sense to expend all your bile on a small private school a few states away. It's like if Washington up and decided, heck with Washington State or Oregon. We really hate Stanford. Stanford has got to go.

NSDukeFan
02-15-2013, 04:29 PM
Maryland poses an interesting challenge. They are HUGE. At nearly every position, they are very very big. They start a 7+ foot center (Len). They rotate two 260+lb guys at PF and backup C (Mitchell, Cleare), and toss in a 235lb senior at PF as well. On the perimeter, they are big as well, with Faust (6'6", 205), Wells (6'5", 215), Howard (6'3", 190), Aronhalt (6'3", 205), and Layman (6'8", 205). Only Allen (6'1", 190) is smallish, but he's terrific as well (he was held out of the first half of the first game against us for disciplinary reasons).

Aronhalt and Layman (don't let his .320 3pt% fool you) are terrific outside shooters. Wells is the star on their team's offense. Allen, Howard, and Faust are capable but unspectacular PG options.

But basically, Maryland's game is predicated on keeping the game ugly, the score low, and hoping to score just enough to win. The key will be not letting their size overwhelm us (especially on the offensive boards) and hitting our shots. If we can get to 70 points, we'll win: they have scored over 70 just thrice in ACC play, and 60 or under 5 times.

The guy who impressed me last game was Mitchell. He seemed to grab every offensive rebound for a few minute stretch in the first half and had a nice touch around the hoop. My biggest concern is Maryland's size and their ability to get offensive rebounds.

Reilly
02-15-2013, 04:32 PM
I'll take a crack at when all the silliness started. In the 70's and 80's, many good ACC teams are sort of equal (Maryland, State, UNC, Duke, GT, UVa) in terms of prestige. All could claim something cool: Virginia and Ralph, Maryland and 1974 and Albert King and Buck, UNC's consistency, GT and Price, State's two NC's ... everybody had a shot at being really good here and there, and were.

Then, the Duke ascendency takes place from 1986 to 1992. As we are becoming the "it" program (that even bugged Dean), Maryland is dealing with the fallout from the death of Bias, from the Wade years, from probation etc... Gary Williams and his issues come on the scene to try to rectify things, and the balance of power has changed dramatically (Duke is now way on top, along with UNC ... MD is now way behind everyone else). So, things fester in the early to mid 1990s.

In the latter part of the 1990s, Maryland has regained some of its footing. Gary Williams is Gary Williams. Stevie Francis comes on the scene. Finally, Maryland will be able to hang. They came into Cameron -- was it 98 or 99 maybe -- and got four technical fouls. Williams was ejected. Francis proved erratic. Then, the amazing battles of 2001 happen and Maryland is on the short end 3 out of 4 times, including the miracle minute the night before the Ravens first Super Bowl victory, and in the freaking Final 4.

The Maryland mindset is one of a chip on its shoulder, we-don't-get-no-respect. Baltimoreans hate the Redskins b/c they are from sophisticated DC. Baltimoreans feel like 2d class citizens to NYC. The Ravens, in part, use that mentality as fuel in their runs. It's a mentality that sort of exists statewide, and certainly infects the Terp mentality. Remember Lefty saying he'd strap the 84 ACC trophy to the front of his car and drive around NC? It's an us-against-ALL-of-them mentality. They are all against us, don't you understand?

And when you riot and are uncouth, they all should be against you.

Long answer short: it's a long-standing mindset, but one fueled by the 86-95 period where Duke ascended dramatically and Maryland fell dramatically ... add a splash of Gary Williams paranoia ... and the late 1990s is when the can of gasoline was poured on the fire (on Rte 1, literally).

Bob Green
02-15-2013, 04:35 PM
It's like if Washington up and decided, heck with Washington State or Oregon. We really hate Stanford. Stanford has got to go.

I agree with your point but when it comes to basketball Washington is too busy hating Gonzaga to worry about Stanford.

Bob Green
02-15-2013, 04:39 PM
Maryland poses an interesting challenge. They are HUGE. At nearly every position, they are very very big...On the perimeter, they are big as well, with Faust (6'6", 205), Wells (6'5", 215), Howard (6'3", 190), Aronhalt (6'3", 205), and Layman (6'8", 205). Only Allen (6'1", 190) is smallish, but he's terrific as well (he was held out of the first half of the first game against us for disciplinary reasons).

I am more concerned about Maryland's BIG perimeter players than their interior size. We have to make 3s to spread the court and big guards bother us. We went 11-22 on 3s inside Cameron and we need to be hot from downtown inside whatever Maryland's arena is called now that they don't play at Cole Field House.

ChillinDuke
02-15-2013, 04:50 PM
Maryland at home against the ACC this year:

VT +23
FSU -3
NCSU +1
BC +5
WFU +26
UVA -11

Sports-reference.com pegs as us 11 points better than them on a neutral court, so maybe Duke favored by 8 there? What is the Vegas line?

Looks like we opened at 5 and have already moved to 5.5 pt favorites.

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-basketball/odds/las-vegas/

- Chillin

oldnavy
02-15-2013, 04:51 PM
Good points all around.

The thing that bothers me the most is that we just played UNC. That is an emotionally draining game. I do not worry so much about the physical tiredness of our guys, being 18-21 year olds, but at the same time, being 18-21 with the week they just have had, I am worried that they will be mentally tired.

Hopefully, they are able to shake off the effects of the UNC game and come out and play with a lot of energy and passion. To me, that is the key above all the match ups and other concerns.

toughbuff1
02-15-2013, 04:54 PM
I'll take a crack at when all the silliness started. In the 70's and 80's, many good ACC teams are sort of equal (Maryland, State, UNC, Duke, GT, UVa) in terms of prestige. All could claim something cool: Virginia and Ralph, Maryland and 1974 and Albert King and Buck, UNC's consistency, GT and Price, State's two NC's ... everybody had a shot at being really good here and there, and were.

Then, the Duke ascendency takes place from 1986 to 1992. As we are becoming the "it" program (that even bugged Dean), Maryland is dealing with the fallout from the death of Bias, from the Wade years, from probation etc... Gary Williams and his issues come on the scene to try to rectify things, and the balance of power has changed dramatically (Duke is now way on top, along with UNC ... MD is now way behind everyone else). So, things fester in the early to mid 1990s.

In the latter part of the 1990s, Maryland has regained some of its footing. Gary Williams is Gary Williams. Stevie Francis comes on the scene. Finally, Maryland will be able to hang. They came into Cameron -- was it 98 or 99 maybe -- and got four technical fouls. Williams was ejected. Francis proved erratic. Then, the amazing battles of 2001 happen and Maryland is on the short end 3 out of 4 times, including the miracle minute the night before the Ravens first Super Bowl victory, and in the freaking Final 4.

The Maryland mindset is one of a chip on its shoulder, we-don't-get-no-respect. Baltimoreans hate the Redskins b/c they are from sophisticated DC. Baltimoreans feel like 2d class citizens to NYC. The Ravens, in part, use that mentality as fuel in their runs. It's a mentality that sort of exists statewide, and certainly infects the Terp mentality. Remember Lefty saying he'd strap the 84 ACC trophy to the front of his car and drive around NC? It's an us-against-ALL-of-them mentality. They are all against us, don't you understand?

Long answer short: it's a long-standing mindset, but one fueled by the 86-95 period where Duke ascended dramatically and Maryland fell dramatically ... add a splash of Gary Williams paranoia ... and the late 1990s is when the can of gasoline was poured on the fire (on Rte 1, literally).

Being a Duke fan from Baltimore, I agree with a lot of what you say. I don't feel like Baltimoroeans feel like we are second class citizens to New Yorkers, but we do feel like the New York and New England teams get an inordinate amount of press coverage compared to our local teams. Maybe Duke becoming the darling of the national media in the late '80s and early '90s as a team that won while "doing things the right way" while the Terps struggled to compete following the Bias scandal and subsequent probation irked a lot of Marylanders. A lot of Ravens and Orioles fans (and I'm assuming Terp fans) feel like there are league wide conspiracies to keep our teams down (I am not one of them.) Yes, we have a lot of crazy people here in Baltimore and Maryland.

hurleyfor3
02-15-2013, 05:22 PM
The Diamondback article linked to on the front page and elsewhere on this thread contains an interesting statement:

This university isn’t leaving for the Big Ten until 2014, so it’s possible the Terps could host Duke in their one scheduled meeting next season. But there’s also a chance — a better one, probably — the ACC punishes the Terps for leaving, filling their conference slate with brutal road trips and uninspiring home matchups.

Although the concept may be intuitive, this is the first time I've seen it stated. Is there precedent for a conference punishing a departing member with a crappy/difficult schedule in its final year, perhaps in football?

Billy Dat
02-15-2013, 05:54 PM
Alex Len has remained atop many NBA draft boards because the accepted narrative is that the Maryland guards are so bad at getting him the ball that he hasn't dominated more. Some game previews I have seen talk about how few shots he's put up in his last handful of games. It would be great to see that continue.

I'd like to see us flip the script a little and not try and establish Mason right away. Let's gameplan to have Quinn and Rasheed drive and finish or drive and kick - let's use our superior speed and small size to our advantage. There have been many games where our inability to get Mason going early has led to halftime adjustments that change the point of attack, which results in more slashing, which results in the floor opening up for Mason. I'd like to see us start that way instead.

I worry a bit that this current crop of players doesn't have the venom for Maryland that past iterations might have had. Since we lost in the 2nd game in 2010, we've been beating them bad. Hopefully Quinn, Tyler and Josh get everyone really up for it as it represents a kind of home game for them.

As for the rivalry, I know its fun to say they aren't our rivals, but the match-up had incredible heat from the Juan Dixon era through the Caner-Medley/Gilchrest era. It lost a lot of heat after that. After all, we've won 12 of the last 13.

TruBlu
02-15-2013, 05:57 PM
The Diamondback article linked to on the front page and elsewhere on this thread contains an interesting statement:

Although the concept may be intuitive, this is the first time I've seen it stated. Is there precedent for a conference punishing a departing member with a crappy/difficult schedule in its final year, perhaps in football?

I seem to remember that an existing member (Duke) was punished for voting against expansion by being given a very difficult conference football schedule. (Or am I paranoid?)

Kedsy
02-15-2013, 05:58 PM
Is there precedent for a conference punishing a departing member with a crappy/difficult schedule in its final year, perhaps in football?

How many departing members have there been? Only South Carolina, right? And they couldn't get punished in basketball. No idea what if anything happened to them in football.

hurleyfor3
02-15-2013, 06:04 PM
How many departing members have there been? Only South Carolina, right? And they couldn't get punished in basketball. No idea what if anything happened to them in football.

I'm not necessarily thinking ACC. Maybe it's just another manifestation of Maryland fans' paranoid mentality.

subzero02
02-15-2013, 06:17 PM
Mason has the advantage but I have seen Len look like a lottery pick at times... I just want Mason to come out looking to dominate the paint on both ends of the floor... Especially the defensive end because he can't help it if he is double teamed

-jk
02-15-2013, 06:29 PM

You have so nailed it!

-jk

OldPhiKap
02-15-2013, 07:39 PM
Maryland = Max Cady

DUKIE V(A)
02-15-2013, 08:10 PM

If memory serves, Mason also owned Len last year as well. The fact is: Mason>>>Len.

The keys to the game...

1. Mason staying out of foul trouble.
2. Keeping the Terps off the offensive boards.
3. Getting to the free throw line.

throatybeard
02-15-2013, 08:12 PM
I agree with your point but when it comes to basketball Washington is too busy hating Gonzaga to worry about Stanford.

Do they hate Gonzaga like Maryland hates us? And Gonzaga's in the same state.

I might come up with a better analogy.

throatybeard
02-15-2013, 08:14 PM

Nothing. The North Carolina teams and Virginia and Clemson kept playing them until they joined the SEC and it became impossible to do all that. And Clemson still does.

Bob Green
02-15-2013, 08:18 PM
Do they hate Gonzaga like Maryland hates us? And Gonzaga's in the same state.

I might come up with a better analogy.

Only when Gonzaga steals recruits.

sircyclops
02-15-2013, 08:48 PM
Oh God, that "stalker" quote is genius! Really sums it up. Assuming the Devils and Terps clash once more in Cameron next year, I'd love to hear the crazies chant "You're our stalker" or some such. I left Durham and went to college in the Baltimore area between 99 and 03, which was, of course, during MD's ascendancy and UNC's few years in the wilderness. It was kind of cool to leave one rivalry zone for "another" and to be (at least somewhat) local for some very intense games.
I went to a small, private college and admittedly didn't follow the Blue Devils (or college basketball) as close as I do now (i.e. found out about the miracle minute after the fact :( ). However, I did get into some all-in-good fun exchanges with native Marylanders who I attended school with and generally soaked up the "Duke Hate" atmosphere that permeated the state at that time. It made an impression.
Though Maryland is a DC area school, I feel that much of its vibe owes a lot to the whole Baltimore "underdog" thing and less with DC per se. As with Baltimore its a tired trope, and ultimately reflects the inherent half-assery of the city/Terp basketball program. Not something to get worked up over perhaps, but because I spent my formative years up that way I will always have a special dislike for the Terps. I am basically unable to root for any Baltimore area teams; I probably wanted the Niners to beat the Ravens as much as the Niners *fans* I watched the game with even though that is the only area I have ever lived for any significant amount of time outside of the Triangle/Tobacco Road and I'm only nominally a Panthers fan or whatever.
To this day, I get a sick thrill watching the Devils beat up on the Terps, though even that has started to diminish, what with Duke's absolute dominance over the past several years, and Gary's retirement. The Terps aren't Duke's rivals, they are a nuisance, a frickin' INCONVENIENCE. The emotion that it takes out of the team during the travels to College Park frustrates myself and other Duke fans I know, because the energy could me more adequately spent on beating a team that is y'know, likely to go to the tournament that year:mad:
Here's to the Blue Devils hopefully blowing the doors offa Maryland tomorrow night! BTW, anyone know the whereabouts of that clown who made the "This is why you suck" video? I assume he's in a basement somewhere trying to figure out which B1G rivalry he'll try to glom on to. Good luck with that! Welcome to purgatory Twerps!

sporthenry
02-15-2013, 10:45 PM
I personally think it is pretty funny if the ACC give them no notable home match up and put all their tough games on the road. That will effectively kill any NCAA tournament hopes, if they had any without Len. Then UMD fans can keep up with their conspiracy theories and take them to the Big 10 when all the conference championships are in Indianapolis or Chicago.

throatybeard
02-15-2013, 10:51 PM
I'm a huge fan of Baltimore, the City. I care about urbanism. But if you're some spoiled white kid from some suburb demonstrating how much you hate Duke on US 1 with a gas can, yeah, um, no. Move along.

Papa John
02-15-2013, 11:42 PM
Won't be suiting up, according to Washington Post...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/terrapins-insider/wp/2013/02/15/marylands-peshon-howard-temporarily-suspended-for-violation-of-team-rules/

Olympic Fan
02-16-2013, 12:15 AM

I think you have offered a good summary of the growing Maryland hate for Duke. I think you nailed the year when it exploded -- 1999.

But I think the exact game was not the game in Cameron, but the first matchup that season -- in old Cole Field House in College Park. It was Jan. 3 and Duke was No. 2 and Maryland was No. 4. The Terps were extremely comfident that night ... I remember hearing a Maryland local radio guy say that Duke had been very impressive, but they hadn't faced anyvody with the quickness and skill of the Terps. It turned out the game was a rout -- the final score (82-64) didn't really reflect how badly Duke ripped Maryland that night. It was total domination. I'm pretty sure, that was Maryland's first post-Duke riot ... and it was in total frustration.

The game in Cameron on Feb. 3 -- another 18-point Duke rout -- added to the fire. That was the game where Gary Williams was ejected. From then on, it was on.

The next year, Duke won at College Park again, but the Terps answered with a stunning with in Cameron (Duke's only ACC loss that year). Of course, Duke answered that one by crushing Maryland in the ACC championship game.

That set the stage for the four remarkable games in 2001 -- starting with the Gone in 55 Seconds Comeback in Cole Field House and ending with the largest comeback in Final Four history.

That was also a period where UNC was enduring a slight lull so for 3-4 years, the Duke-Maryland series was the prime event during the ACC season. But that faded quickly as UNC returned to prominance and the Terps faded after their 2002 national title. Duke has won 12 of the last 13 meetings ... some rivalry.

fan345678
02-16-2013, 12:26 AM
I seem to remember that an existing member (Duke) was punished for voting against expansion by being given a very difficult conference football schedule. (Or am I paranoid?)

We went 2-9 (1-7) in '04, 1-10 (0-8) in '05, 0-12 (0-8) in '06, and 1-11 (0-8) in '07. Sounds like they really had it in for us.

niveklaen
02-16-2013, 01:30 AM
I hope that Len schools Mason the same way that JMM did...

-bdbd
02-16-2013, 02:58 AM

I love that, and I will use it myself, thanks! Since thge MD defection to Big10 a few moinths back, living in the DC area, I have seen a number of article and posts with Terp fan acknowledging, finally, that "MD was never going to be Duke's main rival, not like UNC is..." but then frequently arguing that MD is A rival of Duke's. As I've frequently had to explain to MD fan friends, "Our Rival" is singular (and it will always be UNC), but "one of our rivals " (lower-case 'r') is plural and I have no problem including them in that space. As K says, everyone is our rival, of a sort. So, maybe the stalker has finally realized just what he is, just as he heads off to jail, er, the Big10... (Don't worry, I'm sure they'll find someone else to obsess over/stalk soon enough, perhaps PSU or Indiana or MSU or Rutgers... will be fun to watch.)

Nothing. The North Carolina teams and Virginia and Clemson kept playing them until they joined the SEC and it became impossible to do all that. And Clemson still does.

Fans nowadays forget - or never knew - a time when the ACC only had 8 teams, and so everyone in the league actually got to play everyone else in the league....EVERY YEAR! (Yeah, I know, what a wild concept!) And in BB everyone played each other TWICE - home and away; so that at season's end, you had a legitimate "best team" seeded #1 heading into the ACCT.

Good summary, Reilly. Though I think UNC was somewhat of the "top dog" around 1975 - 1985, though one or two others could claim brief equality with them, for a few years at a time - State College (now NCSU) in the early/mid-70's, MD circa 1979 - mid-80's (even though State did sneak in a Natty in there), UVA in the early 80's (R-A-L-P-H), etc. But the MD view was their ascendency lasted a bit longer and was, in their minds, closer to 'permanent' than the others. So wn Duke arose a the obvious equivalent/peer of UNC's by the mid/late 80's, and MD crashed and burned with Len Bias, Lefty and Coach Bob Wade ('86-'89), it just compounded a long-standing inferiority complex among the MD students/fans. By 1999 they felt that they had returned to their rightful thrown/mountain-top, only to be cast down /denied (repeatedly) by those "bastards" from Duke. The storyline that Duke came by their success dishonestly, thanks to Gary's constant griping - I do believe he was the original frequent claimant (later pickled up on by Billy Packer famously in the 2001 FF) - that "Duke gets all the calls," fed perfectly into their "Bob Uecker/no respect" perspective on their life in the ACC. :rolleyes:

-bdbd
02-16-2013, 04:52 AM
Here's a interesting game preview from the Washington Post....
http://www.washingtonpost.com/...ing-the-game-2/

And Post fan poll:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/...0965804-835-393

Interview 1-on-1 with MD's Seth Allen (video):
http://www.washingtonpost.com/...106b_video.html

I think that the Vegas line of Duke by 5 is about right though.

I DO wonder what the over/under odds are on there being a riot in College Park afterwards, regardless of outcome???
I'm putting that at about 99%.

:rolleyes:

Bob Green
02-16-2013, 06:38 AM
The over/under is 140 with Duke currently favored by 5.5 points so Vegas is looking for a score in the neighborhood of 73 - 67.

oldnavy
02-16-2013, 07:34 AM
I still am worried about this game. I hope that our guys can feed off the energy that is going to be in the crowd. I just hope that they are not mentally out of it from the start. They have had a long week - emotionally....

Bob Green
02-16-2013, 07:46 AM
In his February 15 power rankings, where he ranks Duke #2, Jim Young states:

Struggling to wins over BC and UNC has me thinking that the Blue Devils’ strong play at FSU and in the first half against State was really an anomaly brought about by red-hot shooting.

http://www.accsports.com/blogs/jim-young/2013021414760/acc-hoops-power-rankings-feb-15.php

I stated earlier Duke needs to make shots to spread the court so Mason has room to manuever inside. In the first game, Duke was very balanced with all five starters scoring in double figures. Mason Plumlee and Jefferson combined for 30 points and 16 rebounds, while Sulaimon led all scorers with 25. A similar performance, on the road, would be nice.

cptnflash
02-16-2013, 09:34 AM
The over/under is 140 with Duke currently favored by 5.5 points so Vegas is looking for a score in the neighborhood of 73 - 67.

Take the points.

Bob Green
02-16-2013, 10:28 AM
Take the points.

I'll give up the points and take Duke and the over.

Reilly
02-16-2013, 02:09 PM
... It was Jan. 3 and Duke was No. 2 and Maryland was No. 4. The Terps were extremely comfident that night ... the final score (82-64) didn't really reflect how badly Duke ripped Maryland that night. It was total domination. I'm pretty sure, that was Maryland's first post-Duke riot ... and it was in total frustration.....

Here's the box from that game:

http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/games/boxscore.php?gameid=19990103

You can see the explosion building. In 1997-98, Duke and Maryland were both ranked (Duke top 5; Maryland top 25), both times they played. Maryland's gotta be thinking maybe this is the year. And we beat them by 32 points and 27 points the two times -- beating them that badly when they were a top 25 team. That's gotta be demoralizing.

Then, the next year (1998-99), they are a top 5 team ... the game is at Maryland ... it's tied at halftime ... Ted Valentine and Karl Hess are no doubt making a show of every call ... and Duke (thanks to 33 to 18 FTs attempted differential) runs away with an 18 point win.

CDu
02-16-2013, 03:03 PM
I'll give up the points and take Duke and the over.

I don't know. We haven't fared well against the spread since Kelly went down. I think we've covered just once or twice. Perhaps this is the point at which Vegas has finally figured it out, but the smart bet has been to bet against Duke with the spread (still Duke to win, but closer than expected).

Frobisher
02-16-2013, 03:17 PM
I don't know. We haven't fared well against the spread since Kelly went down. I think we've covered just once or twice. Perhaps this is the point at which Vegas has finally figured it out, but the smart bet has been to bet against Duke with the spread (still Duke to win, but closer than expected).

This doesn't leave one with much wiggle room. A win without covering such a small spread probably means a last possession type of ending to the game a la BC. If we are up a bucket or two, chances are that lead balloons slightly at the very end due to intentional fouls and made FTs and looks something like the Carolina score.

jipops
02-16-2013, 05:05 PM
Unfortunately I see a Maryland win this evening. The size matchup is a tough one and they have had plenty of time to rest and prepare for us. I'm concerned we're emotionally spent right now and we haven't been sharp at all the last two games. Maryland will probably get a ton of scores from offensive boards. If we continue to struggle with turnovers this one could get out of hand.

fuse
02-16-2013, 05:23 PM
Twitter media types buzzing that Seth is not out with the team for warm-ups.

dukelifer
02-16-2013, 05:28 PM
Twitter media types buzzing that Seth is not out with the team for warm-ups.

If he is out - Duke will have a tough night. Curry has gutted it out all season. It would not surprise me if he could not go

dukelifer
02-16-2013, 05:41 PM
If he is out - Duke will have a tough night. Curry has gutted it out all season. It would not surprise me if he could not go

Just saw him warming up. So he is available at least

Dr. Rosenrosen
02-16-2013, 05:41 PM
They just showed him warming up during a live look in. Ah twitter...

sagegrouse
02-16-2013, 05:53 PM
Mizzou and Arkansas still have 7:10 to go at nine minutes before the hour. That game will run over by 15 minutes I would guess. Looks like a foulfest. ESPN will probably kick it over to ESPN News until the previous game is over.

sagegrouse

theAlaskanBear
02-16-2013, 05:54 PM
Mizzou and Arkansas still have 7:10 to go at nine minutes before the hour. That game will run over by 15 minutes I would guess. Looks like a foulfest. ESPN will probably kick it over to ESPN News until the previous game is over.

sagegrouse

Sadness. No ESPN News =(

Merlindevildog91
02-16-2013, 05:55 PM

sagegrouse

At the last cut-in, ESPN said countdown to tipoff was 18 minutes and some number of seconds. At that time, my computer time read 5:51. Looks like our start time is a little past 6.

Just a few more minutes for me to get nervous.

dukeofcalabash
02-16-2013, 06:07 PM
We'll live and die by Duke's shooting tonight. Good luck with that!

nyesq83
02-16-2013, 06:14 PM
Mine has crashed and won't load the broadcast...and I can't spell difficulties!

DukieInBrasil
02-16-2013, 06:16 PM
again with the slow start on the road. oh well.

Furniture
02-16-2013, 06:17 PM
I think they are looking good!

DukieInBrasil
02-16-2013, 06:25 PM
stupid "special" sell-out jerseys

Durham Thunder
02-16-2013, 06:26 PM
I can't wait to see Jefferson after he gets some offensive confidence

Durham Thunder
02-16-2013, 06:30 PM
Curry is channeling Christian Laettner in that UK game. Hallelujah, he does it for the Maryland game!

pfrduke
02-16-2013, 06:31 PM
Seth is dialed in. In a big way. Great start.

pfrduke
02-16-2013, 06:32 PM
Mason getting out on the break!

Furniture
02-16-2013, 06:33 PM
The boys are looking very confident at the mo.

DukieInBrasil
02-16-2013, 06:33 PM
Mason getting out on the break!

nearly reminiscent of that nasty allez-oups Cook threw him vs. OSU (?)

pfrduke
02-16-2013, 06:35 PM
nearly reminiscent of that nasty allez-oups Cook threw him vs. OSU (?)

Yep, OSU. This one took two hands, though.

Durham Thunder
02-16-2013, 06:39 PM
I can't wait to see this "high-motor player" that Marshall Plumlee supposedly is.

Phoenix22
02-16-2013, 06:48 PM
Hairston finally has hit a couple of those jumpers! Still nervous when he takes them though.

Thank god Curry is en fuego.

Furniture
02-16-2013, 06:51 PM
Good lad!!!

pfrduke
Is that 9 first half points for Josh? Nice work!

Lunchab1es
Hairston certainly ate his Wheaties this morning!

Phoenix22
Who is this Josh Hairston guy? Can we keep him?

Durham Thunder
02-16-2013, 06:52 PM
Who is this Josh Hairston guy? Can we keep him?

Seriously, 3 years in the making!

DukeDevil
02-16-2013, 06:55 PM
Man...I am NOT going to miss hearing all the maryland fans cursing and telling people they suck...

CDu
02-16-2013, 06:58 PM
Well, not a great half. Maryland is dominating the glass (15 to 7; 4 to 0 on offensive rebounds). And they're getting way too many easy baskets (56% from the field).

Thank goodness Curry and Hairston have been on fire, and thank goodness Maryland has turned it over 10 times. Otherwise, we'd be in real trouble.

CLW
02-16-2013, 06:58 PM
Well Maryland is hitting everything they throw up and beating us on the glass. It will either just be one of those nights or they revert to the mean and Duke cruises in the 2nd. Josh played well but I still HATE his 20 foot jumper (he even had Plumlee open for a lob dunk on that shot).

CDu
02-16-2013, 07:00 PM
Well Maryland is hitting everything they throw up and beating us on the glass. It will either just be one of those nights or they revert to the mean and Duke cruises in the 2nd. Josh played well but I still HATE his 20 foot jumper (he even had Plumlee open for a lob dunk on that shot).

They actually haven't shot that well. They're just 30% on 3s (3-10). The problem is that they're getting too many easy looks.

DukieInBrasil
02-16-2013, 07:00 PM
Give MD credit, they are playing hard, forcing Duke into really stupid mistakes and making effort plays, like stuffing Sulaimon on that 3 and tripling Plumlee down low and forcing a totally predictable turnover.
Duke seems to play well in stretches and then not so well for stretches. We are forcing turns, and enjoying a 10-6 advantage there. Curry is shooting great, and the surprise of the year, Josh Hairston is lighting it up!
Cook's shot to end the half was terrible, and has continued the recent trend of turning the ball over more than assisting scores. Sulaimon has yet to score, and Plumlee has been almost invisible. Yet, we are only trailing by 1 at the half.

ChrisP
02-16-2013, 07:01 PM
Really happy for Josh. Seth shooting well (jeez, where would we be without him?) But...defensive effort is poor and there have been several really sloppy, lazy passes that have led to transition point for the terps. Like others here, I'm sooooo over the slow starts. According to ESPN's box, Maryland is shooting nearly 56% overall (and that's with them going 3-10 from three-point range).

Plumlee and Sulaimon look like they're playing in slow motion on offense, too. Oh well, I guess I'll do what I seem to always do at halftime and hope the team picks up the intensity in the 2nd half and grinds out a win. I know the road is a tough place to play in the ACC this year but...Duke can do better than this for sure.

CAT Blue Devil
02-16-2013, 07:03 PM
I think that we are going to take this one big. 1 for 6 on threes and getting out-rebounded significantly. Even with Hairston playing well, I think that we are going to see some real results on the glass from Jefferson. They have an edge tonight in a tough arena - I am excited for the second half.

Chris Randolph
Bad close to the half. Had a chance to go in up 4-8 instead down 1. This game is Mason Plumlee's to go win. He has to control the paint on both ends. If he does Duke wins, if not grrrr

SCMatt33
This is something I've noticed for the last couple games, and it's burned us on a few occasions today, is that Mason appears to be slow getting up and down the court at times.

I'm not sure if it's a lack of hustle, trying to conserve energy, or general fatigue from playing almost every minute in his 3rd game of the week, but it's there. One of the biggest examples was on the last 3 of the half. The replay shows Mason jogging up the floor which left us a guy short on D, and there was one player to guard the wing and the corner, and he chose to let the wing guy shoot. If Mason sprints there, we could have covered both.

Truth be told, I don't think this is fatigue because this isn't the first time I've seen it and Mason has sprinted up the floor at times. I also don't think it's a lack of hustle or Coach K would be getting on him more. I truly think that he and the coaches know that they need him for 38-40 minutes a night and he's trying to conserve energy wherever possible.

I've also seen it in the half court where he is more reluctant to challenge shots and block out hard because he is really trying to avoid foul trouble. Think about the end of the BC game where he turned it way up in the last 4 minutes. Is it just me or is Mason and the coaching staff have him hold back a bit at the expense of the short term so that he can be on the court and fully effective when needed.

Atldukie79
After Suli was blocked on the 3 point attempt, he tried to play aggressive defense in the backcourt, and then is the last guy up the floor...MD hits the open 3. Can't let stuff like that happen.

ChicagoCrazy84
02-16-2013, 07:06 PM

I don't think Maryland is that hot. Not sure where they ended the half but I remember seeing them at 2-9 from 3pt land which isn't that good. Seems like Padgett, Mitchell, and Len are getting a lot of easy buckets.. It's games like these I wish Marshall was good enough to play...or Ryan was healthy enough. Hopefully we can tighten it up down low in the 2nd half. Offensively we're doing pretty well.

ChrisP
02-16-2013, 07:07 PM
After Suli was blocked on the 3 point attempt, he tried to play aggressive defense in the backcourt, and then is the last guy up the floor...MD hits the open 3. Can't let stuff like that happen.

Yeah, that was truly a great effort play by the MD guy to block that shot. But...it seemed to take FOREVER for Rasheed to get that ball up and into his shooting motion. I was like "where did that block come from"??? And you're right that Rasheed didn't move on to "next play" quite fast enough and it burned us. Quinn wasn't exactly sprinting up the court, either, though and it looked to me that he could have covered that shooter better.

ChicagoCrazy84
02-16-2013, 07:07 PM
I can't wait to see Jefferson after he gets some offensive confidence

Amen to that!

ChrisP
02-16-2013, 07:10 PM
I don't think Maryland is that hot. Not sure where they ended the half but I remember seeing them at 2-9 from 3pt land which isn't that good. Seems like Padgett, Mitchell, and Len are getting a lot of easy buckets.. It's games like these I wish Marshall was good enough to play...or Ryan was healthy enough. Hopefully we can tighten it up down low in the 2nd half. Offensively we're doing pretty well.

Is 56% good enough for you? Or, look at it this way - take away their poor 3-10 on threes and they're shooting over 70%. That qualifies as more than just "hot" where I come from.

Chris Randolph
02-16-2013, 07:11 PM
I don't care how it looks but if Duke gets the W tonight, that's a great sign for the next month. Tough week, on the road against a team who is putting everything into this game. Find a way. Lets go Plumlee. Lets go Duke

ChicagoCrazy84
02-16-2013, 07:11 PM
I think that I would get more pleasure from winning this game than the UNC game on Wednesday. Something about sending Maryland off to the Big 10 with another sweep and ending the matchup on their home court puts a big smile on my face. I can't stand their fans. Here's to hoping Mason gets it going in the 2nd and puts them away.

ChrisP
02-16-2013, 07:12 PM
I don't care how it looks but if Duke gets the W tonight, that's a great sign for the next month. Tough week, on the road against a team who is putting everything into this game. Find a way. Lets go Plumlee. Lets go Duke

Can't disagree with that! ;)

ChicagoCrazy84
02-16-2013, 07:14 PM
Is 56% good enough for you? Or, look at it this way - take away their poor 3-10 on threes and they're shooting over 70%. That qualifies as more than just "hot" where I come from.

Fair enough, but like I said i think its more of a product of them getting easy buckets from their big men. If they were "hot" I think we'd be in more trouble than we actually are.

Durham Thunder
02-16-2013, 07:17 PM
"You suck Mason"

I cannot wait for the worst student section in any sport to disappear forever.

Chris Randolph
02-16-2013, 07:18 PM
Interesting timeout here by K. I'm thinking Duke responds in a big way

ChrisP
02-16-2013, 07:18 PM
Fair enough, but like I said i think its more of a product of them getting easy buckets from their big men. If they were "hot" I think we'd be in more trouble than we actually are.

Ok, I see your point. I think this Duke team - at least lately - has been giving up waaaay too many easy buckets. I swear, it seems like there are long stretches of games where we give up layup, dunk, layup, layup, layup. But, let's hope they don't get truly "hot" in the 2nd. Hated to see that made three that led to K's TO though...

rsvman
02-16-2013, 07:19 PM
Bogus charge call on Mason. He saw the defenders and stopped to pull up the shot. The defender fell down anyway, and somehow got the call.

dukelifer
02-16-2013, 07:22 PM
Danger time. Bad shots and bad fouls

ChrisP
We are at least one step slow tonight (but most of the time it looks like 2 steps). Ugh. Not looking good at all. We have to do something to shut the crowd up.

Chris Randolph
Coach K making a statement to Mason. Wow

ChicagoCrazy84
Interesting timeout here by K. I'm thinking Duke responds in a big way

Yeah that didn't happen. We're getting man handled in a big way down low. Not good

DukieInBrasil
02-16-2013, 07:24 PM
Wow, this is a stretch of truly crappy ball. Hairston, despite his good play early, has given up consecutive offensive boards for points and got beat downcourt by Len through simple lack of effort. Sulaimon with crazy shots in the lane. Our guys need to settle down. MD is not doing anything that we can't counter, except they are playing with more energy and focus. The guys on the floor are just out of sync.

ChrisP
02-16-2013, 07:24 PM
Bogus charge call on Mason. He saw the defenders and stopped to pull up the shot. The defender fell down anyway, and somehow got the call.

Yeah, refs are certainly not our friends tonight. I just hope the Duke players don't start "looking" for calls cuz...they ain't gonna get 'em.

They showed a replay of one of Hairston's buckets in the first half and I swear, he got fouled at least 2x before they finally called one. Fortunately, the one they called led to an "and 1" which he made.

dukelifer
02-16-2013, 07:27 PM
Need Rasheed to continue attacking

rsvman
02-16-2013, 07:28 PM
We need to calm down and slow it down.

Get some defensive stops and get a few rebounds.

ChrisP
02-16-2013, 07:28 PM
Lots of time to go but...does anyone think we look like we can come back and win this thing?

subzero02
02-16-2013, 07:29 PM
Paging Mason Plumlee

ChicagoCrazy84
Well we're not going to win if we can't get stops. This has been some truly bad defense here in the 2nd half. Infuriating

rsvman
Lots of time to go but...does anyone think we look like we can come back and win this thing?

I do.

muzikfrk75
02-16-2013, 07:30 PM

Of course we can.

EDIT - 3 seconds later, we go on a 5-0 run.

ChicagoCrazy84
Paging Mason Plumlee

Yes it would be nice if he got involved.

ChrisP

Umm..ok, I take it back.

dukelifer
02-16-2013, 07:31 PM
Big sequence

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
Great job by Murphy to not put the ball on the floor and go to the rack.

wtm001
mini miracle minute, haha

ChrisP
02-16-2013, 07:32 PM
Did Jason Williams just walk through that door? ;)

Les Grossman
battling back nicely

DukeDevil
Of course we can.

EDIT - 3 seconds later, we go on a 5-0 run.

I saw you say it and saw it happen...keep believing!

CLW
02-16-2013, 07:33 PM
wow is Maryland a BAD basketball team. sloppy with the ball and blowing a nice lead.

SCMatt33
Best play during this run was when Quinn stole the ball and didn't try to go in 1 on 3. Controlled aggression, baby.

dukelifer
Looks like Duke's only D is to turn them over. I will take it

Durham Thunder
Karma.

ChicagoCrazy84
02-16-2013, 07:34 PM
Great sequence and I like putting the pressure on their guards.

We NEED Mason to get going now...

pfrduke
02-16-2013, 07:35 PM
Mason's been short on just about everything tonight.

Les Grossman
02-16-2013, 07:36 PM
he's setting up too far out

CLW
02-16-2013, 07:37 PM
i knew we were getting killed on the glass but espn has us at -16 (25-9)

dukelifer

A sign he is running out of gas. He has been a workhorse the past few games.

subzero02
I am baffled by Mason's lack of play... He is playing scared...

Durham Thunder
K needs to keep Murphy off the floor in these big games.

TwiceDuke
02-16-2013, 07:38 PM
he's setting up too far out

Hard to set up any closer when the guy guarding you has both hands in the small of your back.

dukelifer
02-16-2013, 07:38 PM

Game experience will help but you get good and bad.

Les Grossman
02-16-2013, 07:39 PM
wow Mason
4+2

ChicagoCrazy84

Well when you have Amile getting man handled and Marshall ineffective, you don't have many other options.

Chris Randolph
I hate the "this is my city/house" talking. It's about the individual when you do that stuff. Just be quiet, youre on full scholarship, you are supposed to hit shots. It's only good when the Crazies do it

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-16-2013, 07:40 PM
Wow. Mason is really getting schooled. Wonder where his head is today.

BlueDevilBrowns
02-16-2013, 07:40 PM
i knew we were getting killed on the glass but espn has us at -16 (25-9)

what makes it worse is that they've taken 6 less shots and still are shooting close to 60 percent. defense anyone?

subzero02
02-16-2013, 07:41 PM
Mason is getting dominated...

SCMatt33
02-16-2013, 07:42 PM
Mason is really off tonight. All year, he's been successful because his moves go towards the bucket. Ever since the first play of the game, he's started fading away.

ChrisP
Mason is getting dominated...

Indeed. He looks like a freshman out there.

Chris Randolph
I'd like to see Quinn Cook punch Mason in the chest and challenge him. This is embarrassing

dukelifer
02-16-2013, 07:44 PM
Need to pressure these guys- only chance

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-16-2013, 07:45 PM
Wow.... stay classy Maryland. I think that's the eighth "BS" chat I have heard.

pfrduke
02-16-2013, 07:45 PM
Can the Maryland fans chant anything other than bulls*** or you suck?

rsvman
02-16-2013, 07:46 PM
Murphy!!

dukelifer
Bad then good- that is Murphy

pfrduke
We are fighting so hard on defense in this half. Great work Alex.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
I can't wait for Murphy's coming out party. That kid shows so many flashes

FerryFor50

You were saying?

Nice dunk Murph!

CLW
great job by Murphy to make the "next play"!

ChrisP
I was really mad at Murphy for not taking that open 3, but what a way to make up for it with the steal and emphatic FLUSH! Way to go, Alex!!!:cool:

DukieInBrasil
Every time there is a call against MD that the fans don't like they chant "Bulls#!t, Bulls#!t, Bulls#!t... Audible through the tv.
Stay classy MD fans, stay classy.

ChicagoCrazy84
Wow...Alex...that was freaking awesome

subzero02
02-16-2013, 07:47 PM
Alex!!!!!

dukelifer
02-16-2013, 07:48 PM
Need to keep this in reach and keep the game pressure on them

CLW
02-16-2013, 07:49 PM
Plumlee and Curry must really be gassed b/c they have been on the bench for longer than I can remember them sitting during any competitive game this season.

sporthenry
I think this is why we wanted Murphy to play more earlier. Then he'd be used to these situations and he would have hit the three then dunked that.

CDu
Can the Maryland fans chant anything other than bulls*** or you suck?

They can... only it's worse than those two options...

Furniture
02-16-2013, 07:50 PM
This is a great game!

sporthenry
02-16-2013, 07:50 PM
Plumlee and Curry must really be gassed b/c they have been on the bench for longer than I can remember them sitting during any competitive game this season.

Curry is probably for his injury/fatigue. I'm convinced Mason is being punished or trying to get him fired up.

TwiceDuke
02-16-2013, 07:51 PM
Every time there is a call against MD that the fans don't like they chant "Bulls#!t, Bulls#!t, Bulls#!t... Audible through the tv.
Stay classy MD fans, stay classy.

I've heard it at/from Cameron. Not often, but they're college kids. I will not defend MD fans systematically, but this is not the thing that bothers me.

Also - the officiating in this game has been entirely inconsistent. Refs allowed physical play early, MD goes up big. Then the refs start calling it tighter, allowing Duke to show the talent gap between the teams.

Can't blame fans for being upset.

sporthenry
02-16-2013, 07:52 PM
I've heard it at/from Cameron. Not often, but they're college kids. I will not defend MD fans systematically, but this is not the thing that bothers me.

Also - the officiating in this game has been entirely inconsistent. Refs allowed physical play early, MD goes up big. Then the refs start calling it tighter, allowing Duke to show the talent gap between the teams.

Can't blame fans for being upset.

But it's every call. Obvious ones and bad ones alike.

DukeDevil
02-16-2013, 07:52 PM
what is up with the MD free throw shooting...are you kidding me??? Their % seems crazy high

Durham Thunder
02-16-2013, 07:54 PM
Mason got held so bad!

dukelifer
what is up with the MD free throw shooting...are you kidding me??? Their % seems crazy high

For them it is crazy high

FerryFor50
Len just jawed at Mason. Let's see if that was a mistake....

pfrduke
Going small now.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-16-2013, 07:55 PM
29-12 on the boards right now. Ouch.

dukelifer
02-16-2013, 07:56 PM
Duke is fighting. Need 10 more MD turnovers

Les Grossman
those mismatched sneakers

DukieInBrasil
Len is thoroughly outplaying Mason, not even close. I can't even say that he has done anything positive in this game. Not rebounding, not scoring, not defending effectively. Good thing everybody else has shown up to play.

rsvman
02-16-2013, 07:57 PM
I hope Curry gets hot again.
We're gonna need either Seth or Mason to do something if we're going to pull this out.

Durham Thunder
Maryland is getting every call

FerryFor50
They can... only it's worse than those two options...

You mean like the last one.... F*** duke?

dukelifer
Wow MD gets all the calls

g-money
My biggest gripe about the refs in this game is the way they're favoring Len in the Len/Plumlee matchup. It started with the first play of the game when Len clearly shoved Plumlee in the post, and has continued throughout the game. Sour grapes maybe, but I think it has had a material impact on the game.

I think at this point Mason is in a state of bewilderment about what is and is not a foul.

jwillfan
But it's every call. Obvious ones and bad ones alike.

now we're hearing f**k Duke. Really, that's all you got? Don't let the door hit you on the a** on the way to the big 10.

FerryFor50
02-16-2013, 07:58 PM
A lot of me ball going on...

sporthenry
02-16-2013, 07:59 PM
No Doris, they didn't huddle around him because it was a good play. They huddled around him because he almost got a tech.

TwiceDuke
02-16-2013, 07:59 PM
You mean like the last one.... F*** duke?

Was that it? Or was it Duke sucks?

BTW - it will be fun to see how the B1G reacts when they inherit a team that has a media blackout like the one ~10 yrs ago for the same chant, if you're right.

muzikfrk75
02-16-2013, 08:00 PM
Len just jawed at Mason. Let's see if that was a mistake....

Len is safe....Mason ain't bout that life.

dukelifer
02-16-2013, 08:01 PM
Could be ballgame

CLW
game over court storming coming up

FerryFor50
Still time in this one to turn it around... Gotta start hitting shots!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
Did Mason have a bad Valentine's Day?

jwillfan
02-16-2013, 08:02 PM
Mason being totally outplayed and looks totally lost. Under 5 and 8 points - need a Jason Williams-like miracle if we're gonna pull it out.

ChrisP
Well, I had hope until Quinn threw that lazy pass that led to the Wells dunk. I guess we are fatigued and I don't fault them but...man I would hate to lose to MD.

FerryFor50
Wow, finally a call on the hedge!

rsvman
02-16-2013, 08:03 PM
We need a little Seth right now!

dukelifer
02-16-2013, 08:03 PM
Well, I had hope until Quinn threw that lazy pass that led to the Wells dunk. I guess we are fatigued and I don't fault them but...man I would hate to lose to MD.

Duke is gassed- missing throws and jumpers

Gthoma2a
02-16-2013, 08:04 PM
Let's not get into this "it's over" nonsense. It isn't over yet. The team is still playing hard. Even if things aren't going well, they are still playing.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
Wow, I would love to win this game.

FerryFor50
Duke is Tar Heeling themselves at the FT line.

Durham Thunder
Ok the fouls (both ways) are getting nuts

ChrisP
Let's not get into this "it's over" nonsense. It isn't over yet. The team is still playing hard. Even if things aren't going well, they are still playing.

Of course they are but sometimes...you just know :(

dukelifer
Duke may lose but they fought in this game- huge difference in energy levels

DukeDevil
missing free throws down the stretch...that's bad.

And MD chanting "mason sw****ws." I really keep thinking I can't think less of them, and then I do.

subzero02
02-16-2013, 08:05 PM

I don't think the meteor had any impact on the Mason/Len matchup but it certainly has been a disaster for us... ADVANTAGE Len, and it hasn't been close

sporthenry
Well this has been a very disappointing game by Mason.

Also now the chant Mason swallows. Gets classier and classier

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
Man I hate these fans

ChicagoCrazy84
2-6 from FT's the last few minutes. Unreal. We need a big 3 from Seth and soon. He's been way too quiet

Chris Randolph
02-16-2013, 08:06 PM
Seniors have been no shows in the 2nd half. Amazing we are still in it. Thanks Maryland

DukieInBrasil
tired legs happening. 4 missed FTs lately, would be down only 2 rather than 6. Thanks for making those 2 Rasheed. Plumlee has been, how to put this, out of it this game. Duke has played much better when he's been on the bench, they made that nice run from down 10 with him on the bench. Now with 4 fouls he's playing soft on D in the lane, giving up easy points. Challenge those shots! If he picks up that 5th foul, oh well, maybe Duke will play better with him on the bench again

Durham Thunder
Mason has been AWFUL

ChicagoCrazy84
02-16-2013, 08:07 PM
Wow can Mason be anymore useless in this game? Suck it up buddy and play with some toughness!!

BlueandWhite
02-16-2013, 08:07 PM
Mason being totally outplayed and looks totally lost. Under 5 and 8 points - need a Jason Williams-like miracle if we're gonna pull it out.

Mason's not playing well, true. Why however will it take a Jason Williams-like miracle to pull it out? They're only down 8 with just under 4 to go -anything can happen!

Furniture
02-16-2013, 08:08 PM
Must a lot of pressure on the boys. Let's have some positive energy!

Gthoma2a
If we can get our legs back under us, we still have time.

FerryFor50
Len sitting, and the last three possessions, mason doesn't sniff the ball. Sigh.

jwillfan
02-16-2013, 08:09 PM
Mason's not playing well, true. Why however will it take a Jason Williams-like miracle to pull it out? They're only down 8 with just under 4 to go -anything can happen!

Well it's going the wrong direction - so we must be setting up for the miracle finish then, right?

rsvman
Wow can Mason be anymore useless in this game? Suck it up buddy and play with some toughness!!

This is unnecessarily harsh.
He's had a bad game, for sure, but it's not fair to question his toughness or work ethic at this point in the season. Just my opinion.

Chris Randolph
Not buying the tired excuse. They've had two days between games. I am buying the fact that Maryland has dominated the paint, the difference

ChrisP
02-16-2013, 08:10 PM
OMG, this is 5 on 8! Mason got so OBVIOUSLY held on that inbounds! What a joke!!!

Gthoma2a
02-16-2013, 08:10 PM
We tried to get it in to Mason, but in this game, that may not be a good strategy. Even with Len out, he hasn't had much of a game.

Gthoma2a
02-16-2013, 08:11 PM
Go Quinn!

ChrisP
02-16-2013, 08:12 PM
Is this Doris Burke's first game? She really doesn't seem to know what a foul is...

DukeDevil
Actually Doris burke, his heels were in the circle under the basket, hence the block.

dukelifer
Not buying the tired excuse. They've had two days between games. I am buying the fact that Maryland has dominated the paint, the difference

Maryland has had 6

jwillfan
OMG, this is 5 on 8! Mason got so OBVIOUSLY held on that inbounds! What a joke!!!

No no no. We do not blame the refs, Maryland does that.

Les Grossman
02-16-2013, 08:13 PM
whistleball

ChicagoCrazy84
02-16-2013, 08:14 PM
Well we have not received many favors from the refs tonight.

Gthoma2a
Hairston is out, but we still have plenty of time to get in this thing. We need to execute, though.

jwillfan
That said, weak call on Josh's 5th. He was a bright spot in this game, best offensive game in a Duke uni.

g-money
02-16-2013, 08:15 PM
Great game by Josh. Too bad he just picked up his 5th on a phantom call.

ChrisP
No no no. We do not blame the refs, Maryland does that.

I will blame them on such a horrible, obvious no-call as that. Every time!

Gthoma2a
There was no need for a 3 there. We did need that one from Curry, though.

ChicagoCrazy84
02-16-2013, 08:16 PM
Mason you're not even going to try and block that take from Seth Allen? Come on

DukeDevil
There was a need for one there...

sporthenry
Mason needs to learn to sell calls. He is getting held all game. If he flails like Hansbrough, he'd get a ton of calls.

Chris Randolph
02-16-2013, 08:17 PM
Coach Collins getting on to Mason and Mason doesn't even look at him or seem to respond. Interesting

Durham Thunder
02-16-2013, 08:17 PM
In my heart of hearts, I think Mason winning POY would be inaccurate.

A National POY being absolutely powerless in a really meaningful game, against an team he should succeed against, is debilitating. I don't care how tall Len is; he's been average all season.