PDA

View Full Version : McDonalds AA Game Rosters posted

Ichabod Drain
02-14-2013, 05:31 PM
Here's the official rosters for the McDonalds All American game.

http://www.usatodayhss.com/news/article/2013-mcdonalds-all-american-games-roster-boys

Parker and Jones both on the West. Semi did not make it.

sporthenry
02-14-2013, 06:19 PM
So UK has at least 5 guys and could have 7 guys in the game. If Gordon commits to UK, UK could put a whole lineup out their for the West team. That is ridiculous.

I'd almost think that would be better for Duke. If Wiggins commits to UK, then him and Harrison have to compete for time and the ball and it keeps Wiggins from UNC or FSU.

vick
02-14-2013, 06:26 PM
I don't follow recruiting for the women's team particularly closely, but it seems noteworthy that we had three on the girls' West team (http://www.usatodayhss.com/news/article/2013-mcdonalds-all-american-game-roster-girls).

dukelifer
02-14-2013, 07:18 PM
So UK has at least 5 guys and could have 7 guys in the game. If Gordon commits to UK, UK could put a whole lineup out their for the West team. That is ridiculous.

I'd almost think that would be better for Duke. If Wiggins commits to UK, then him and Harrison have to compete for time and the ball and it keeps Wiggins from UNC or FSU.

Amazing. Not really sure how many Kentucky players will bolt this year either. How many scholarships do they have to offer? 7 McD AAs is absurd.

sporthenry
02-14-2013, 07:30 PM
Amazing. Not really sure how many Kentucky players will bolt this year either. How many scholarships do they have to offer? 7 McD AAs is absurd.

Well when you recruit guys like UK does, most times even if you don't have a great year, you have to go b/c the guys coming in might be better than you. The only juniors they have are Hood and Polson. They have Harrow and Wiltjer as Sophomores and then Goodwin, Poythress, Noel, and Cauley-Stein as the freshman. So that is 8 scholarship players who could come back next year. But everyone is assuming all the freshman are gone. And saw some indicating that Harrow might be gone as well.

It makes sense for guys like Goodwin or Poythress to go b/c if they stay and are exposed their draft stock will drop and they'll lose PT to someone like Harrison or James Young. Same reason for Harrow to go now. He won't play much behind Harrison.

Duvall
02-14-2013, 07:41 PM
Well when you recruit guys like UK does, most times even if you don't have a great year, you have to go b/c the guys coming in might be better than you. The only juniors they have are Hood and Polson. They have Harrow and Wiltjer as Sophomores and then Goodwin, Poythress, Noel, and Cauley-Stein as the freshman. So that is 8 scholarship players who could come back next year. But everyone is assuming all the freshman are gone. And saw some indicating that Harrow might be gone as well.

It makes sense for guys like Goodwin or Poythress to go b/c if they stay and are exposed their draft stock will drop and they'll lose PT to someone like Harrison or James Young. Same reason for Harrow to go now. He won't play much behind Harrison.

But where would he go? Transferring again doesn't really make sense.

sporthenry
02-14-2013, 07:45 PM
But where would he go? Transferring again doesn't really make sense.

I saw him in a mock draft or two. That is his only other option other than staying but I figured he'd try to get there now if he really wants. Either way, him staying won't really put them on a scholarship crunch.

roywhite
02-14-2013, 07:57 PM
I saw him in a mock draft or two. That is his only other option other than staying but I figured he'd try to get there now if he really wants. Either way, him staying won't really put them on a scholarship crunch.

Yeah, not sure what Harrow's best move is at this point.

His stats aren't very impressive
9.9 pts/gm
3.2 assts/gm
42% FG
63.8% FT
28.8% 3-pt

Ish Smith from Wake is about the same size and didn't have dazzling numbers in college, but has played parts of the last 3 years in the NBA; I guess it's possible for Harrow to land somewhere, or maybe he guts it out at KY?

Back to the McD rosters, apparently Kentucky's total number of 5 players in the McD game is a record, and, as noted, they may not be done yet.

I was a little surprised Kennedy Meeks, going to UNC, made it. And not Julius Randle (injury a factor probably)

sporthenry
02-14-2013, 08:10 PM
I was a little surprised Kennedy Meeks, going to UNC, made it. And not Julius Randle (injury a factor probably)

http://ukrecruiting.bloginky.com/2013/02/14/mcdonalds-committee-still-considering-julius-randle/

Apparently he has been injured since the second game of the year. So he'd be selected purely on his reputation/past performance. And they still might pick him. I personally don't mind it b/c these guys should be recognized for having great senior years and guys like Randle will have years to play on TV.

53n206
02-14-2013, 08:54 PM
I've forgotten why we are not in on Wiggins. any problem with him?

noworries
02-14-2013, 09:18 PM
The East coaches are my high school coaches!

CameronBlue
02-14-2013, 09:29 PM
I don't follow recruiting for the women's team particularly closely, but it seems noteworthy that we had three on the girls' West team (http://www.usatodayhss.com/news/article/2013-mcdonalds-all-american-game-roster-girls).

Geno with no commits? When was the last time that happened?

sporthenry
02-14-2013, 09:32 PM
I've forgotten why we are not in on Wiggins. any problem with him?

Nah. From what I remember, we were on his list to start. But interest seemed to wane a bit either since he was reclassifying and we were all in on Parker or that he was such a lean to UK/FSU that K cut his losses.

Kid is a stud and I'm sure someone else can bring all the specifics to the Wiggins situation but it seems like UNC pushed themselves into the dance but remains to be seen if they have a shot.

Bigger loss was Randle who dropped Duke because he would have been a legit post presence.

sporthenry
02-14-2013, 09:34 PM

I noticed that as well. That seems pretty crazy and it doesn't even seen like it helped parity with Stanford, Duke, and UNC among others each getting multiple ones.

dukelifer
02-14-2013, 11:16 PM
Yeah, not sure what Harrow's best move is at this point.

His stats aren't very impressive
9.9 pts/gm
3.2 assts/gm
42% FG
63.8% FT
28.8% 3-pt

Ish Smith from Wake is about the same size and didn't have dazzling numbers in college, but has played parts of the last 3 years in the NBA; I guess it's possible for Harrow to land somewhere, or maybe he guts it out at KY?

Back to the McD rosters, apparently Kentucky's total number of 5 players in the McD game is a record, and, as noted, they may not be done yet.

Harrow may be a second rounder- but he is more likely to be undrafted- I am not sure I see NBA pt guard there. It could get tight if Noel does not leave. Cauley-Stein could improve his draft status if he waits a year- the kid has very little basketball experience- but the GMs will see potential and make him a lottery pick. But of course, if folks were to stay they would need to start taking classes in the Spring and they may not have planned for that. It will be interesting to see how it comes together.

tommy
02-15-2013, 12:56 AM
It makes sense for guys like Goodwin or Poythress to go b/c if they stay and are exposed their draft stock will drop . . .

Those guys have already been "exposed." They both have the athleticism to be very good players, but Poythress floats in and out way too much, and seems to be having less impact on the game now than he did earlier in the year, and Goodwin has just not learned how to play the game at a higher level yet. They're both D-league material at this point were they to be drafted now. To me, they'd benefit by staying and showing that they've developed more of an NBA-ready game.

It could get tight if Noel does not leave. Cauley-Stein could improve his draft status if he waits a year- the kid has very little basketball experience- but the GMs will see potential and make him a lottery pick.

Cauley-Stein looks like he could be a Daniel Orton redux. Doesn't crack the starting lineup as a frosh center at UK, clearly not ready for the league, declares anyway because that's what he came to UK to do, and is barely hanging onto the fringes of the league, if that, within two years. Sad, but true.

Olympic Fan
02-15-2013, 01:08 AM
I don't undestand why some peope think Noel might stay after the injury. I would say he's more likely to go, except he as 100 percent sure of going anyway.

Forde projects he drops from No. 1 to No.3 in the draft ... he's not going to come back and waste a year tryng to climb 1 or 2 spots -- and maybe drop if his injury really impacts his game.

sporthenry
02-15-2013, 01:27 AM
Those guys have already been "exposed." They both have the athleticism to be very good players, but Poythress floats in and out way too much, and seems to be having less impact on the game now than he did earlier in the year, and Goodwin has just not learned how to play the game at a higher level yet. They're both D-league material at this point were they to be drafted now. To me, they'd benefit by staying and showing that they've developed more of an NBA-ready game.

Cauley-Stein looks like he could be a Daniel Orton redux. Doesn't crack the starting lineup as a frosh center at UK, clearly not ready for the league, declares anyway because that's what he came to UK to do, and is barely hanging onto the fringes of the league, if that, within two years. Sad, but true.

Well them being exposed will still result in first round picks and most likely lottery picks. I'm not sure what else they can hope for. Sure staying might result in them being more ready for the NBA but it will most likely result in guys like the Harrison twins and James Young playing over them. So making money and playing either in the NBA or D-league is probably better than splitting time and being benched for a freshman and not making any money. And I can find guys who have been similarly exposed yet still get drafted. Heck, just last year Austin and Drummond were exposed during the year and were still top 10 picks. And there are tons of examples of guy who stuck around and their draft stock continued to plummet.

As far as Cauley-Stein. The guy at least has an NBA body. He'll likewise get drafted by potential but I think he'll be at least decent in the NBA. He'd be best served coming back but it remains to be seen if he'd get consistent PT with Dakari coming in. That is the double edged sword with these recruiting classes, you pretty much push guys out.

BD80
02-15-2013, 07:16 AM
I don't undestand why some peope think Noel might stay after the injury. I would say he's more likely to go, except he as 100 percent sure of going anyway.

Forde projects he drops from No. 1 to No.3 in the draft ... he's not going to come back and waste a year tryng to climb 1 or 2 spots -- and maybe drop if his injury really impacts his game.

This is a decent example of a guy who should "start the clock" on his rookie contract as soon as possible. The difference in one or two spots is minor compared to amount he could command as a shotblocker and rebounder in his second contract.

... just last year Austin and Drummond were exposed during the year and were still top 10 picks. And there are tons of examples of guy who stuck around and their draft stock continued to plummet. ...

If the the NBA execs had a "do-over" on the draft with the info from the season so far, Drummond would be the second or third pick. Some might even risk the one: that's what is being said about his physical abilities and work ethic. It does support your general point, but belies your use of the term "exposed."

Durham Thunder
02-15-2013, 10:18 AM
Coach Calipari and his one-and-done advocacy is the worst thing for college basketball, so I always hope that his teams falter and fail throughout the season.

Cal has the exact same type of class he had last year, and this year he's failed miserably. He also had a terrible year in 2010-2011, despite that Final-4 which you completely have to discount. If you have an 11-VCU and an 8-Butler in the final four, you know it's one of those years thats too crazy to be considered real life.

UK has their guys already. Wiggins going there would be absurd and stupid for him because he'd be just another guy. Go to UNC, and he's a hell of a lot more significant.

theAlaskanBear
02-15-2013, 10:24 AM

I first read this as, "Geno with no comments?" and was equally flabbergasted

theAlaskanBear
02-15-2013, 10:32 AM

I actually see a lot of promise in Cauley-Stein. He shoots .630 from the field, has good offensive footwork, is a good rebounder for the limited playing time. The only thing about his game that makes you stratch your head is this: .375 from the free throw line. Insane...that said he is 7 feet tall with a good frame and the potential to get stronger.

He is ready to play in the league? No, but with any kind of work ethic he will play in the league and could be a solid contributor for years.

nocilla
02-15-2013, 11:06 AM
UK has their guys already. Wiggins going there would be absurd and stupid for him because he'd be just another guy. Go to UNC, and he's a hell of a lot more significant.

Going to FSU would be even better. UNC already has their guys too. (fingers crossed)

sporthenry
02-15-2013, 01:23 PM
If the the NBA execs had a "do-over" on the draft with the info from the season so far, Drummond would be the second or third pick. Some might even risk the one: that's what is being said about his physical abilities and work ethic. It does support your general point, but belies your use of the term "exposed."

Good point. I hadn't heard that although I had heard he was doing pretty well. Insert Xavier Henry or Josh Selby in there.

dukelifer
02-15-2013, 08:08 PM
I first read this as, "Geno with no comments?" and was equally flabbergasted

With UConn in the Consolation Big Least Conference - I am wondering how they will fare long term in attracting talent. They will be with Cincinnati, East Carolina, Houston, Memphis, South Florida, SMU, Temple, Tulane and UCF. Then add East Carolina and Navy. Not exactly a basketball conference. Geno will be bored and I bet may leave.

burnspbesq
02-15-2013, 08:23 PM

IIRC, UCon has only one scholarship available for 2013, and used it on Suniya Chong, a PG from Westchester County. She'll likely be a solid four-year backup.

UCon and Duke are going head-to-head for a number of top 2014 recruits.

Struggling golfer
02-16-2013, 12:43 AM
Was Duke ever in on Andrew Wiggins ? If not why ? I read that he has narrowed his list to Florida State, Kentucky, UNC and Kansas. Let's hope he chooses Kansas.

niveklaen
02-16-2013, 01:01 AM
Duke passed on Ender to take Bean - aka Semi...