PDA

View Full Version : Tough scheduling break

DUKIECB
02-14-2013, 02:05 PM
I was just perusing the upcoming schedule and happen to notice a tough break. We will travel to Virginia on Thursday the 28th for a 9 p.m. game and have to turn around and play Miami two days later at 6 p.m. You would have to think that leaves almost zero time to prepare for Miami because you won't be getting back to Durham until on up in the morning on March 1. Maybe one quick practice that afternoon and play at 6 the next day.

Miami on the other hand plays the Hokies at home on the 27th @ 7 p.m. This gives them quite a bit of extra time to prepare. I know these things happen and Duke at some point has probably gotten the benefit of something like this but it stinks to have this happen for such an important game.

Duke09
02-14-2013, 02:10 PM
Miami has a similar turn around this weekend, with Clemson on Sunday at Clemson then Virginia at home on Tuesday. You win some, you lose some. Of course would love to see both teams full strength

weezie
02-14-2013, 03:03 PM
Good practice for the NCAAs, too.

BD80
02-14-2013, 03:08 PM
I was just perusing the upcoming schedule and happen to notice a tough break. We will travel to Virginia on Thursday the 28th for a 9 p.m. game and have to turn around and play Miami two days later at 6 p.m. You would have to think that leaves almost zero time to prepare for Miami because you won't be getting back to Durham until on up in the morning on March 1. Maybe one quick practice that afternoon and play at 6 the next day. ...

Wow! That's almost like playing in the NCAAT!

In fact, that sounds almost exactly like the schedule a final four team would have to endure the second weekend (sans travel)

sporthenry
02-14-2013, 03:09 PM
Sometimes we make a bit too much out of everything. There is no way to have a completely balanced schedule esp. with TV and you can't win them all.

Not to mention, Miami will also lose time traveling. There isn't a whole lot of practicing at this point in the season. You go over the other team's sets and maybe add a few wrinkles but Miami isn't going to reinvent the wheel with that extra day.

As already mentioned, this is how the NCAAT works and the worst part is probably playing the 3rd best team in the ACC and perhaps best team at home then come home and play the best team in the ACC. But when the schedule was made, nobody could have foreseen this.

Frobisher
02-14-2013, 04:07 PM
Wow! That's almost like playing in the NCAAT!

In fact, that sounds almost exactly like the schedule a final four team would have to endure the second weekend (sans travel)

The major difference being that in the NCAAs, both teams would be subjected to this schedule and as such be in the exact same box.

Still, I agree that, at some point, this happens to just about everyone over the course of a season, especially during conference scheduling.

SCMatt33
02-14-2013, 05:21 PM
I believe this was the only two day turnaround Duke has had this year and it doesn't involve a plane ride, plus the second game is at home, which I think is easier. Last year Duke got the bad end of this and had a two day turnaround 3 or 4 times. Although I remember seeing this at the start of the year and thinking that Miami at home would be an easier back end. Boy was I wrong!