PDA

View Full Version : tyler thornton appreciation thread

brlftz
02-14-2013, 04:41 AM
he deserves it...damn he's a warrior. lol, if you're a duke fan you're used to seeing guards cover bigger guys. have you ever felt more confident that our guy would figure out a way to win?

Bomar
02-14-2013, 06:15 AM
Sometimes he can do some dumb things, but you gotta love the kid's heart. Also, he just seems clutch to me. If he gets an open 3 when we have a comfortable lead, he always seems to miss, but when he gets one when we need it the most, he nails it (generally speaking). Last night is a great example, and it made me think back to the KU game in Maui last season. I know that was an end-of-game miracle, but he seems to be a clutch guy. There was a couple of other games last season as well where he pulled that off, but I can't remember. It's too early in the morning after last night's heart attack game!

dukelifer
02-14-2013, 06:46 AM
Sometimes he can do some dumb things, but you gotta love the kid's heart. Also, he just seems clutch to me. If he gets an open 3 when we have a comfortable lead, he always seems to miss, but when he gets one when we need it the most, he nails it (generally speaking). Last night is a great example, and it made me think back to the KU game in Maui last season. I know that was an end-of-game miracle, but he seems to be a clutch guy. There was a couple of other games last season as well where he pulled that off, but I can't remember. It's too early in the morning after last night's heart attack game!

The kid has toughness and has a knack for hitting big shots. He is not an NBA talent but he will fight every minute. He is also very vocal on a team of very quiet players. He gets under the skin of opposing players and does the dirty work to win. Glad he is on Duke!

OldPhiKap
02-14-2013, 07:11 AM
Duke Blue Planet had a video some time ago about "dirty work" and featured Wojo breaking down video of TT. Worth finding.

Box scores do not a player make.

trey
02-14-2013, 07:24 AM

I couldn't agree more. I almost expected the off balance three he chucked up with half a second left on the shot clock to go in. He was absolutely huge last night.

mr. synellinden
02-14-2013, 07:48 AM
I couldn't agree more. I almost expected the off balance three he chucked up with half a second left on the shot clock to go in. He was absolutely huge last night.

Actually, it was huge that he was able to even hit the rim on that shot to avoid a shot clock violation - because if I recall correctly we ended up getting a foul called on the rebound and made the two free throws. Again if I recall correctly, at the time we were up 4 with about a minute left. A shot clock violation would have given UNC a chance to come down and cut the lead to 2 or 1 with enough time to get the ball back without fouling.

MCFinARL
02-14-2013, 09:52 AM
Actually, it was huge that he was able to even hit the rim on that shot to avoid a shot clock violation - because if I recall correctly we ended up getting a foul called on the rebound and made the two free throws. Again if I recall correctly, at the time we were up 4 with about a minute left. A shot clock violation would have given UNC a chance to come down and cut the lead to 2 or 1 with enough time to get the ball back without fouling.

You do recall correctly--it was a crucial play. I remember thinking "Oh no" when Seth (I'm pretty sure it was Seth) passed instead of taking a shot because it was so late in the clock, even though Seth would have had to take a bad shot--but Tyler got the shot off and the result, as you note, was very positive.

Durham Thunder
02-14-2013, 10:03 AM
I remember when he became Tyler "Prayer" Thornton when he hit that crazy desperation 3 against KU, AFTER hitting the go-ahead 3!

He's so clutch, and so poised. Aside from his on-ball defense, he's just a generally reliable guard. I think we also need to recognize Amile Jefferson who had some BIG rebounds, and did some tough work on McAdoo and Hairston.

There were some 50/50 moments when we needed to get the rebound, and Jefferson CERTAINLY came up big last night when we needed it.

CDu
02-14-2013, 11:01 AM
I'm very pleased with the way Thornton has played this year. I think the emergence of Cook has made life much easier for Thornton and Curry. Last year, those two guys had to play out of position at PG (technically, Thornton was a PG in high school, but that's not really his game at the college level). Now, they can focus on what they do well (Curry scoring, Thornton doing the little things).

When Thornton was being asked to run the offense, his limitations shown through. But in a role as glue guy/scrappy defender/ spotup shooter, he's quite capable. And he's been very valuable off the bench this year.

moonpie23
02-14-2013, 11:03 AM
fist bump to TT.......love his effort and drive....a true dukie.,,,

Philsfan
02-14-2013, 11:27 AM
fist bump to TT.......love his effort and drive....a true dukie.,,,

Even though I'm not a student, my buddy and I went over to the celebratory bonfire for a bit. Got high-fives from both Tyler and Josh as they worked their way through the crowd. TT was clutch!

HaveFunExpectToWin
02-14-2013, 12:07 PM
I remember when he became Tyler "Prayer" Thornton when he hit that crazy desperation 3 against KU, AFTER hitting the go-ahead 3!

And the huge three in Chapel Hill to start the rally last year. He's come up big in some really big games.

ncexnyc
02-14-2013, 12:21 PM
I love it. An appreciation thread for Bruise Brother #1.

The 3 pt shots have already been mentioned, as has the shot clock beater which caught iron. How about some love for the play where he hit Quinn with the long pass down the court.:)

rhynelander
02-14-2013, 12:39 PM
I also love this thread. Although Tyler's play last night, was for the most part fantastic, the BC game was one of his best. He stepped up to the level of physicality they brought and really willed us to the win. Great to hear Coach K say he willed us to the win last night too!

chadlee989
02-14-2013, 01:31 PM
My favorite player to watch on this Duke team. He makes the big shots guards the other teams best player. He is just really fun to watch. Which is why my friends and i that watch most games together call him Big Money T. Because any time we need a big play or shot he makes it

jv001
02-14-2013, 01:38 PM
Thanks Tyler. We needed someone to step up and you certainly did that. Your play may not be pretty, but you leave nothing in the tank. Effort is never missing in your play. I would gladly have you in my foxhole anyday. GoDuke and GoTyler.

Channing
02-14-2013, 06:44 PM
I have been as big a Tyler critic as there is...but last night he was awesome. Looking at the Duke Blue Planet top 5 plays of the game, he was integrally associated with numbers 5, 4, 3, and 2.

Dukeblue91
02-14-2013, 07:05 PM
Tyler has been one of my favorites since coming to Duke.
He is pretty much always on and a real clutch player but he really shines when guarding the opposing players, you can really see how he gets to them and will tick them off as much as he can.
There are quite a few games from last year too that would have been an easy L had it not been for him.
He is not a top scorer but he will do whatever it takes to make Duke a winner and I'm glad he is on our team for that reason alone, he exemplifies a Duke hard-nosed player.

Son of Jarhead
02-14-2013, 11:11 PM
No doubt Tyler will be a team captain next year. He is a real leader. Coach K commented post-game that "Tyler will be a coach." He'll make a good one I'm sure.

I noticed one unexpected thing last night: Tyler, who plays defense as physically as anybody, picked up his 1st foul with only 33 seconds left, and the other 4 on the floor all had 4 fouls each. Who would have guessed that?

oldnavy
02-15-2013, 04:34 PM
TT is a huge part of this team. His "play" is just part of what he brings. I think the most important aspect of his game is leadership. He is tough, and you can tell K loves that in him. He isn't going to out run, out jump, or out score many players, but he will not be out hustled or out toughed either.

He has an edge to him as well. I noticed in the BC game when one of their players (maybe Odio) was facing off with Mason after a play, TT intentionally "bumped" him as they gathered for the pre-FT huddle. Little things like that can mean a lot to a team, and he brings that every night.

Coach K is always going to find a way to put TT on the floor for significant minutes.

Dev11
02-16-2013, 09:13 AM
I think Yul Brenner sums up Tyler Thornton:

"I see pride. I see power. I see a bada** mudda who don't take no crap off of nobody."