PDA

View Full Version : Marshall sighting

stillcrazie
02-12-2013, 10:10 AM
Just saw MP3 on campus in full military camouflage AND wearing a boot on his left foot. By full military camos, I mean hat, shirt, pants. Really hilarious, except for the boot part.

uh_no
02-12-2013, 10:19 AM
Just saw MP3 on campus in full military camouflage AND wearing a boot on his left foot. By full military camos, I mean hat, shirt, pants. Really hilarious, except for the boot part.

Cool.....but i believe the word you're looking for is "sighting" :)

"siting" is too close to "sitting" in my book and I was worried that we'd need another injury vigil!

OZZIE4DUKE
02-12-2013, 10:22 AM

I hope you mean a combat boot and not a protective boot like Ryan wears.

Native
02-12-2013, 10:24 AM

It's precautionary, I believe. Seth wears a boot between games as well, to the best of my knowledge.

And yes, Marshall is in ROTC this semester. Pretty tough to balance with basketball and academics but I guess he's making it work.

ramdevil
02-12-2013, 10:30 AM
In the print edition of Duke Blue Planet, all the players are asked to use three words to describe themselves. One of Marshall's words was "voluptuous".

ramdevil

JasonEvans
02-12-2013, 10:38 AM
Cool.....but i believe the word you're looking for is "sighting" :)

"siting" is too close to "sitting" in my book and I was worried that we'd need another injury vigil!

I changed the thread title to reflect this correction. I too saw the thread titled "Marshall siting" and thought it was someone complaining about the big man's playing time or something like that.

-Jason "mod, at your service" Evans

oldnavy
02-12-2013, 10:38 AM
It's precautionary, I believe. Seth wears a boot between games as well, to the best of my knowledge.

And yes, Marshall is in ROTC this semester. Pretty tough to balance with basketball and academics but I guess he's making it work.

Really? I would have thought that MP3 would exceed the maximum height for the military... I wonder if he has some exemption or if they have changed the standards?

David Robinson had to get a waiver to finish school when he grew out of the Navy standards I believe...

Bike4Fun
02-12-2013, 10:41 AM
ROTC seems like an unusual elective for a scholarship athlete to take during their freshman-sophomore year. I'll take it for granted that the poster knows he's in ROTC as opposed to being dressed in fatigues. He couldn't take an ROTC scholarship without giving up his athletic scholarship, and that won't happen as he would exceed the maximum height at the time of enlistment (unless he severely shrunk between now and graduation!).

wilko
02-12-2013, 10:46 AM
When a man makes an out of character choice - there is generally a woman involved.
Just saying it a possibility

stillcrazie
02-12-2013, 12:34 PM
ROTC seems like an unusual elective for a scholarship athlete to take during their freshman-sophomore year. I'll take it for granted that the poster knows he's in ROTC as opposed to being dressed in fatigues. He couldn't take an ROTC scholarship without giving up his athletic scholarship, and that won't happen as he would exceed the maximum height at the time of enlistment (unless he severely shrunk between now and graduation!).

Sorry for not "sighting" that error - I've recently taken up texting and I'm afraid it has affected my spelling.

It did not occur to me that Marshall might be in ROTC. I thought it was some kind of prank.

stillcrazie

Dev11
02-12-2013, 01:18 PM
When a man makes an out of character choice - there is generally a woman involved.
Just saying it a possibility

Official rumor-mongering: Marshall Plumlee might have a girlfriend who digs guys in (military) uniforms. Sorry, ladies.

CrazyNotCrazie
02-12-2013, 01:30 PM
I highly doubt Marshall is in ROTC. As much as Coach K is obviously a strong supporter of the military, I don't think he would allow it. If players aren't allowed to be in fraternities (or at least they weren't when I was at Duke 15+ years ago), they also couldn't do something as time consuming as ROTC. Perhaps they can take a ROTC class, but not be part of the program. I guess he was just making a fashion statement in advance of tomorrow night's game.

MCFinARL
02-12-2013, 02:17 PM

Really? I would have thought that MP3 would exceed the maximum height for the military... I wonder if he has some exemption or if they have changed the standards?

David Robinson had to get a waiver to finish school when he grew out of the Navy standards I believe...

But didn't David Robinson serve in the Navy? So I guess his waiver must have included figuring out a way that he could complete his military service as well as his school.

I highly doubt Marshall is in ROTC. As much as Coach K is obviously a strong supporter of the military, I don't think he would allow it. If players aren't allowed to be in fraternities (or at least they weren't when I was at Duke 15+ years ago), they also couldn't do something as time consuming as ROTC. Perhaps they can take a ROTC class, but not be part of the program. I guess he was just making a fashion statement in advance of tomorrow night's game.

I don't know whether he is or isn't in ROTC, but it looks like you can do ARMY ROTC [I'm assuming we are talking Army because of the camo fatigues, though I could obviously be wrong] your freshman and sophomore year without a scholarship and without making a commitment to the military--so perhaps you could do it without meeting the height requirements. The basic program consists of one elective course and one lab each semester. I would think the biggest issue would be if there are demanding physical components of these courses. http://arotc.duke.edu/for-cadets/training-and-curriculm

CDu
02-12-2013, 02:32 PM
But didn't David Robinson serve in the Navy? So I guess his waiver must have included figuring out a way that he could complete his military service as well as his school.

If I recall correctly, Robinson was below the height limit when he enrolled to the Naval Academy, but subsequently grew to above the height. I believe if you are below the height requirement when you enroll/enlist, they let you stay in if you exceed the height requirement.

DukieInKansas
02-12-2013, 02:33 PM
Regarding David Robinson - didn't he start out to be a submariner and that is why his height became an issue. As I recall, he served in another capacity to fulfill his wervice obligation.

gus
02-12-2013, 02:38 PM

I always wondered that myself. I had remembered that he grew quite a bit while in college, but assumed he must have got a very special dispensation to serve.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Robinson_(basketball)

Robinson was 6 ft 8 in when he was admitted to the Naval Academy, two inches above the height limit, but received a waiver from the Superintendent of the Academy. Robinson considered leaving the academy after his second year, before incurring an obligation to serve in active duty. He decided to stay after discussing with the Superintendent the likelihood that his height would prevent serving at sea as an unrestricted line officer, hurting his naval career, and might not make it possible for him to be commissioned at all. As a compromise, Secretary of the Navy John Lehman placed Robinson in a program for training civil engineers for the Naval Reserves that reduced his active-duty obligation to two years. After graduating from the Naval Academy, Robinson became a civil engineering officer at the Naval Submarine Base Kings Bay in Georgia

DukeHLM'13
02-12-2013, 03:17 PM
I'm also in ROTC at Duke, and Marshall is only nominally a part of ROTC program. He takes the class with the other sophomores on Tuesday/Thursday and wears the uniform on those days, but he doesn't come to PT in the mornings nor does he do any of the other training that takes place.

But its still cool to have him around the battalion.

Festus
02-12-2013, 07:07 PM
I always wondered that myself. I had remembered that he grew quite a bit while in college, but assumed he must have got a very special dispensation to serve.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Robinson_(basketball)

I happened to be on the team of the future Chief of Naval Operations during Battle Staff training who, at the time of the David Robinson height issue, happened to be the aide to the Chief of Naval Operations who along with the Secretary Lehman made the decision to give David Robinson a waiver. Since I have been retired a good many years, I can't speak to current regulations but im my time, the cutoff for aviators in Naval Aviation was 6'7" because that taller than that, one could leave his legs in the cockpit upon ejection. We had a guy of that height in one of the squadrons and during deployment and his head was a mess as he was continually banging into the overhead during transit of the ship's passageways. Anyway, the decision to give David Robinson a waiver was based on the Chief's call that Robinson's retention would pay dividends down the road both in PR and recruiting.

weezie
02-12-2013, 08:52 PM
In the print edition of Duke Blue Planet, all the players are asked to use three words to describe themselves. One of Marshall's words was "voluptuous".

ramdevil

HAHAHAHA, excellent quote. I sense a finely developed Duke style sense of humor. Either that or he heard about me.

OldPhiKap
02-12-2013, 09:37 PM

Robinson was a Navy submariner. I have been on a few subs, and it is no country for tall men.

stillcrazie
02-13-2013, 02:26 PM
I'm also in ROTC at Duke, and Marshall is only nominally a part of ROTC program. He takes the class with the other sophomores on Tuesday/Thursday and wears the uniform on those days, but he doesn't come to PT in the mornings nor does he do any of the other training that takes place.

But its still cool to have him around the battalion.

Thanks for clarifying the matter, DukeHLM'13!