PDA

View Full Version : What's up with the disdain for Dave Leitao?

ChrisP
02-12-2013, 09:34 AM
In today's front page article on the Duke-UNC rivalry, DBR makes a crack about not worrying about offending certain people. Penders and Dave Bliss I totally get, but was surprised that Leitao was included on that list. I know he was a Calhoun disciple at UCONN (and I pretty much despise both Calhoun and that program) but...what gives? What did Leitao do to get on DBR's bad side? I did a Google search and, other than finding some references to a fiery temper and him being sort of a jerk, I couldn't find anything that sounded too bad. What am I missing?

rsvman
02-12-2013, 12:10 PM
Being a UConn flunkie and then coaching a "rival" team ought to be enough......

Olympic Fan
02-12-2013, 12:23 PM
I think the reason has more to do with his abusive treatment of his players in Charlottesville than his UConn connection.

jimsumner
02-12-2013, 12:44 PM
Well, he had a fiery temper and was sort of a jerk.

ChrisP
02-12-2013, 05:27 PM
Well, he had a fiery temper and was sort of a jerk.

And that would differentiate him from like 70% of bball coaches because..? ;)

Seriously, thanks for the input. I guess I thought he must have done something particularly awful to get called out like that.

davekay1971
02-12-2013, 05:41 PM
And that would differentiate him from like 70% of bball coaches because..? ;)

Seriously, thanks for the input. I guess I thought he must have done something particularly awful to get called out like that.

DBR front page has certain guys they just seem to loathe. Usually there's a pretty good and obvious reason. Sometimes (imho in the case of Leitao) it's a guy who seems like he's probably a jerk, but the level and persistence of vitriol is surprising. But, hey, when you have a pulpit, you have an avenue to beat those you feel deserve beating.

Just ask John Feinstein. I catch some of his morning show on CBS sports radio now and then, and he definitely has both a list of guys he loves to bash, and a platform for doing so.