PDA

View Full Version : NBA Trade Deadline 2/21/13. JJ Redick to Milwaukee.

superdave
02-11-2013, 02:27 PM
The trade deadline is approaching and there's some moderate sized names likely to get dealt, and a few big name players likely to stay put for various reasons.

Espn's Marc Stein has a pretty good run down of what is going on right here. (http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page/dime-130201-02/eight-trade-truths-deadline) Among the intriguing possibilities - Ainge blowing up the Celtics, the Lakers making a panic deal and a bunch of teams going after Josh Smith.

JJ Redick is also involved in a lot of rumors, and here's what the local paper has to say (http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/blogs/magic-basketblog/os-mbb-schmitzs-take-jj-redick--trade-20130210,0,5780306.post). Sounds like JJ is staying put.

If there is a deal out there that might change the outcome of the NBA Finals this year, I have not seen it. A lot of these deals are more likely designed to cut cap, or to get pennies on the dollar for a guy leaving after the season.

Super "Let the games begin!" Dave

howardlander
02-11-2013, 08:09 PM
Personally, I'd like to see him traded. I've watched a fair amount of Orlando the last few years. I've got a fairly negative opinion of many of their players, in that I think they typify the worst of the "NBA" player stereotype. They are selfish, particularly at point guard, and don't move the ball very well. There are plenty of teams where JJ would have a better chance to win and a better chance to contribute. I know he is having his best year, but I think he'd do much better in the right situation.

The trade deadline is approaching and there's some moderate sized names likely to get dealt, and a few big name players likely to stay put for various reasons.

Espn's Marc Stein has a pretty good run down of what is going on right here. (http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page/dime-130201-02/eight-trade-truths-deadline) Among the intriguing possibilities - Ainge blowing up the Celtics, the Lakers making a panic deal and a bunch of teams going after Josh Smith.

JJ Redick is also involved in a lot of rumors, and here's what the local paper has to say (http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/blogs/magic-basketblog/os-mbb-schmitzs-take-jj-redick--trade-20130210,0,5780306.post). Sounds like JJ is staying put.

If there is a deal out there that might change the outcome of the NBA Finals this year, I have not seen it. A lot of these deals are more likely designed to cut cap, or to get pennies on the dollar for a guy leaving after the season.

Super "Let the games begin!" Dave

CDu
02-11-2013, 09:26 PM
As a Bulls fan, I'd love to see Redick join the Bulls (assuming the price isn't too high). He'd be an upgrade over Hamilton and Belinelli at SG and would make for a nice offense/defense rotation with Jimmy Butler. And when Rose comes back, he'd provide good floor spacing for Rose.

That said, I doubt it'll happen.

superdave
02-11-2013, 10:36 PM
As a Bulls fan, I'd love to see Redick join the Bulls (assuming the price isn't too high). He'd be an upgrade over Hamilton and Belinelli at SG and would make for a nice offense/defense rotation with Jimmy Butler. And when Rose comes back, he'd provide good floor spacing for Rose.

That said, I doubt it'll happen.

The Bulls offered JJ a few years back, but he was a restricted FA so Orlando match the offer sheet. He clearly fits with that team, especially when Derrick Rose is around. Orlando would be wise to flip JJ for a 1st round pick or a player while his stock is high. He's averaging 15 points and shooting 40% from 3. Sell high if you have any intention of selling!

sagegrouse
02-12-2013, 01:18 PM
The Bulls offered JJ a few years back, but he was a restricted FA so Orlando match the offer sheet. He clearly fits with that team, especially when Derrick Rose is around. Orlando would be wise to flip JJ for a 1st round pick or a player while his stock is high. He's averaging 15 points and shooting 40% from 3. Sell high if you have any intention of selling!

It may be that JJ Redick will be the hottest player in the trade deadline machinations and there are lots of JJ rumors out there. He is playing great, is shooting lights out from 3, and becomes a free agent this summer. The last means he is probably gone anyway. The Magic are, of course, denying any interest in trading its most popular player. I expect, however, he will be gone in the next few days.

ESPN Insider thinks the Bulls are the best combo of need, salary cap, and tradeable talent (Marquis Teague and Rip Hamilton). A Rose and JJ backcourt could be very productive. But the Nuggets, Pacers and Bucks also have strong needs for outside shooting and may be in the picture.

The trade deadline is February 21 -- we and JJ won't have to wait long to find out what happens.

sagegrouse

nmduke2001
02-12-2013, 02:48 PM
Good article on what JJ would mean to certain teams...

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8939597/nba-which-teams-benefit-most-jj-redick-trade

btw, it says insider but I was able to read it all without the insider access.

superdave
02-19-2013, 02:57 PM
https://twitter.com/KBergCBS/statuses/303939430664777729

Possible deal - JJ to Milwauke for Mbah A Moute and 1st round pick. Milwaukee's pick would be mid 1st round.

I cannot imagine JJ re-signing there as a restricted free agent.

superdave
02-19-2013, 03:05 PM
Same problem with Josh Smith trade proposals. Why would a team gamble on Josh if he will not re-sign? I am guessing a serious team would require some commitment or a signed extension to do a deal.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/54926/hawks-seem-determined-to-deal-josh-smith (http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/54926/hawks-seem-determined-to-deal-josh-smith)

Because of that, I do not think the Hawks will get more than 50-cents on the dollar for Smith. No big names in return. Pau Gasol seems plausible but the Lakers would have to take back another salary, and I doubt they would unless it was also expiring. Sounds like the Lakers will start clearing cap space for the future save for Kobe and any chance at re-signing Dwight.

Saratoga2
02-19-2013, 03:34 PM
It may be that JJ Redick will be the hottest player in the trade deadline machinations and there are lots of JJ rumors out there. He is playing great, is shooting lights out from 3, and becomes a free agent this summer. The last means he is probably gone anyway. The Magic are, of course, denying any interest in trading its most popular player. I expect, however, he will be gone in the next few days.

ESPN Insider thinks the Bulls are the best combo of need, salary cap, and tradeable talent (Marquis Teague and Rip Hamilton). A Rose and JJ backcourt could be very productive. But the Nuggets, Pacers and Bucks also have strong needs for outside shooting and may be in the picture.

The trade deadline is February 21 -- we and JJ won't have to wait long to find out what happens.
sagegrouse

I live in Florida in the winter and get most of the Magic games. JJ has really matured and improved as a player and it is not just his scoring ability. He is very good at getting the ball to players in scoring position and can both get to the basket and make mid range shots along with his signature 3's. His foul shooting is hanging around 90% but the most interesting part is that he has become a better defensive player. True he doesn't have great length or speed but he has the endurance to stay on his player and make it difficult for him to get a shot. As good as JJ was as a college player, I think he has made very significant improvement in many parts of his game. Hard to believe he has been in the league for 7 years already.

Tappan Zee Devil
02-19-2013, 06:26 PM
Good article on what JJ would mean to certain teams...

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8939597/nba-which-teams-benefit-most-jj-redick-trade

btw, it says insider but I was able to read it all without the insider access.

New York sports talk radio was babbling on today about a possible JJ for Iman Shumpert trade. Their consensus was that it would not help the Knicks.

theAlaskanBear
02-19-2013, 07:02 PM
New York sports talk radio was babbling on today about a possible JJ for Iman Shumpert trade. Their consensus was that it would not help the Knicks.

I tend to concur. Where are his shots coming from? Why would you trade a great defender in Shumpert who is also bigger, more physical, and younger and less expensive? On a team with Melo, Smith, Amare, Steve Novak, Felton....a guy like Shumpert can get in there and defend and body up while JJ's best assets (shooting and passing) are negated on a team where he will not be handling the ball and not be get more than 3 shots per game. The Knicks are the oldest team in the league in league history, and Iman for Redick has them going further down the path of older, expensive personnel.

JJ has turned into a very good player, but the Knicks are the worst destination I could imagine for him. Honestly I could see him doing well for the Lakers --a Steve Nash/Kobe backup, can let D'Antoni go small and play some Kobe at the SF. Bulls would be a fit and my preferred destination for him, but anywhere but Orlando. At this point in his career, JJ is looking for playing time and a contending team.

superdave
02-20-2013, 04:34 PM
Chad Ford chat (http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/47144) covering the trade deadline and some draft stuff. He thinks Nerlens still goes pro and is top 5.

dukelifer
02-20-2013, 07:24 PM
I tend to concur. Where are his shots coming from? Why would you trade a great defender in Shumpert who is also bigger, more physical, and younger and less expensive? On a team with Melo, Smith, Amare, Steve Novak, Felton....a guy like Shumpert can get in there and defend and body up while JJ's best assets (shooting and passing) are negated on a team where he will not be handling the ball and not be get more than 3 shots per game. The Knicks are the oldest team in the league in league history, and Iman for Redick has them going further down the path of older, expensive personnel.

JJ has turned into a very good player, but the Knicks are the worst destination I could imagine for him. Honestly I could see him doing well for the Lakers --a Steve Nash/Kobe backup, can let D'Antoni go small and play some Kobe at the SF. Bulls would be a fit and my preferred destination for him, but anywhere but Orlando. At this point in his career, JJ is looking for playing time and a contending team.
JJ to Bulls is getting some buzz. Joining Boozer and Deng would make it even harder for Duke fans not to root for the Bulls. Who knows - K might even be tempted to go home and coach that bunch ;)

moonpie23
02-20-2013, 08:30 PM
i could stand jj on the bulls.....just can't stand to see him go to the celtics....or the knicks.......

FerryFor50
02-20-2013, 08:42 PM

Maybe the Lakers should send Pau for him . Or move Dwight back. :p

Think the Lakers kept the receipt for that one?

Indoor66
02-20-2013, 08:52 PM

Dwight is HUGELY overrated.

newclasspack
02-20-2013, 08:58 PM

Hurt Dwight > No Bynum all year. Lakers won that Deal.

Billy Dat
02-20-2013, 10:07 PM
People are killing this Thomas Robinson to the Rockets deal from the Sac/Seattle side.

Bill Simmons ‏@BillSimmons
And they should be! RT @zachlowe_nba: Folks around the league seem largely aghast/shocked/confused by what Kings did here.

ESPN Stats & Info ‏@ESPNStatsInfo
Thomas Robinson: only 5th time in lottery era a top-5 pick is traded during his rookie season #Elias

Chad Ford ‏@chadfordinsider
Chauncey Billups, Derrick Favors, Drew Gooden, Donyell Marshall RT @TCurtis137: Who were the other 4 times?

FerryFor50
02-20-2013, 10:12 PM
People are killing this Thomas Robinson to the Rockets deal from the Sac/Seattle side.

Bill Simmons ‏@BillSimmons
And they should be! RT @zachlowe_nba: Folks around the league seem largely aghast/shocked/confused by what Kings did here.

ESPN Stats & Info ‏@ESPNStatsInfo
Thomas Robinson: only 5th time in lottery era a top-5 pick is traded during his rookie season #Elias

Chad Ford ‏@chadfordinsider
Chauncey Billups, Derrick Favors, Drew Gooden, Donyell Marshall RT @TCurtis137: Who were the other 4 times?

I don't hate the deal. The Kings get Patrick Patterson, who's already more productive than Robinson, who the Kings obviously didn't like as the season wore on. Plus they get rid of Garcia and his contract, as well as picking up 1 million and Toney Douglas, who is a decent guard.

Billy Dat
02-21-2013, 10:39 AM
Trade Deadline day has arrived, a day Twitter was invented for!

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA
Orlando has secured offers of first-round picks for J.J. Redick, sources tell Y! Sports. So far, those belong to teams drafting in the 20's.

Lakers offering Steve Blake, Chris Duhon, Devin Ebanks, Darius Morris for 2nd-rounders, sources say. Looking to unload, free roster spots.

Billy Dat
02-21-2013, 11:34 AM
Charlotte's struggling to find a team willing to take Gerald Henderson for a first-round draft pick, sources tell Y! Sports. He could stay

Spurs interested on J.J. Redick, but Magic can do better than San Antonio's late first-round pick in 2013.

I discounted San Antonio-Redick talks a bit earlier, but sources insisting there are legitimate scenarios in play that make Spurs a factor.

My note - how great would it be to see JJ on the Spurs!!! JJ is a Twitter trending topic right now.

_Gary
02-21-2013, 11:43 AM
My note - how great would it be to see JJ on the Spurs!!!

Yes, Yes, Yes!!! Please, oh NBA gods, let this happen. I want JJ on a contender and this scenario is about the best I've heard thus far.

Billy Dat
02-21-2013, 03:01 PM
Could be apocraphyl

Orlando has traded J.J Redick to the Bucks, league source tells Y!

Dev11
02-21-2013, 03:05 PM
Could be apocraphyl

Well that sucks.

CDu
02-21-2013, 03:09 PM
Could be apocraphyl

Good for Redick that he will go back to a playoff-caliber team. Bad for Redick in that he'll go to Milwaukee, where there is absolutely no clear success in his future. And bad for him in that, he'll either have to choose money or team success this summer, because none of the legitimate contenders are going to have the money to pay him what he'll be looking for.

juise
02-21-2013, 03:12 PM
Could be apocraphyl

At least he gets to go elsewhere this summer, if he wants to.

FerryFor50
02-21-2013, 03:17 PM
Lost in the Redick deal is that McBob is going to Charlotte.

In other Duke news, Dahntay Jones is going to Atlanta for Anthony Morrow...

Phoenix22
02-21-2013, 03:20 PM
Maynor to Portland. Well there goes any hope of Nolan's future there.

Durham Thunder
02-21-2013, 03:20 PM
I feel bad for JJ.....Milwaukee's a graveyard right now

hurleyfor3
02-21-2013, 03:22 PM
ESPN link on JJ to Milwaukee:

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8971697/orlando-magic-trade-jj-redick-milwaukee-bucks-according-sources

juise
02-21-2013, 03:22 PM
I feel bad for JJ.....Milwaukee's a graveyard right now

The city or the team? The team is definitely better than Orlando for the next few years.

Durham Thunder
02-21-2013, 03:25 PM
Given one has more potential than the other....Milwaukee's been stagnant for a long time, but maybe JJ being one of the main guys will change that. Hopefully.

FerryFor50
02-21-2013, 03:27 PM
Given one has more potential than the other....Milwaukee's been stagnant for a long time, but maybe JJ being one of the main guys will change that. Hopefully.

Doubt it. Where is he going to find shots between Montae Ellis and Brandon Jennings?

juise
02-21-2013, 03:28 PM

I just wonder when he's gonna get a shot. Ellis and Jennings are "point guards" (at least that's how they're listed) who each put up 17 shots per game.

CDu
02-21-2013, 03:37 PM
The city or the team? The team is definitely better than Orlando for the next few years.

Milwaukee is definitely better than Orlando right now. But Milwaukee is not good enough for that difference to really matter (they're a borderline playoff team).

As much as I cheer for Redick to do well, I doubt his presence will make Milwaukee any more of a contender than they already are.

Redick's best hope was to get traded to a championship caliber team in need of a sharpshooting perimeter player (like the Spurs or Bulls). That way, he could re-sign with that team for more money under the team's cap. Or at least have a chance at a title.

Now, he's going to still have no shot at a title this year, and he's going to go into free agency having to choose between opportunity for team success and money (because the good teams can't afford to pay him the big-time money).

GGLC
02-21-2013, 03:51 PM
Doubt it. Where is he going to find shots between Montae Ellis and Brandon Jennings?

This is what I'm concerned about. Seems like a weird destination for him; I wonder if they plan on starting him or not.

Dev11
02-21-2013, 03:59 PM
I presume that JJ will not be staying in Milwaukee after April. He has proven that he is worth adding to a contender and will pursue that path.

weezie
02-21-2013, 08:16 PM
Milwaukee, yikes. Please, not the Bulls....
Pistons are extremely interested and have tons of cash to throw around.
And there's the added bonus of me flying up for a few games to sit courtside if it happens.

theAlaskanBear
02-21-2013, 10:24 PM
It's looking like the reason the Bucks pulled the trigger on JJ is because they were trying to send Monta Ellis to Atlanta for Josh Smith. Atlanta pulled out, deciding not to trade Smith. The Bucks hate Ellis, and would do just about anything to get rid of him.

Acymetric
02-21-2013, 11:13 PM
It'll be neat seeing JJ team up with Dunleavy (well, not actually see since they'll never be on tv). I'll be watching his free agency closely though, curious to see where he lands.

fitimi1
02-22-2013, 10:13 AM
Here is what is wrong with the JJ trade.

He has stated over and over that he wanted to stay in Orlando and was even willing to take a pay cut to do so. When you also consider that he epitomized everything the DeVos family has said it stands for over the past years, it makes no sense. I guess it all boils down to Hennigan, the new GM, that seems to want to get rid of any ties to anyone in Orlando that was here before his arrival last year. The only one left that I am aware of is Jameer Nelson and I have not heard of any team that wants him at any price.

According to a couple of Orlando sources, over 2000 people have told the Magic, know in local circles as the "Tragic," that they would not renew their season tickets if JJ was traded. At the price of the tickets, not to mention any other benefits, the income would have paid his salary.

Hennigan is starting to make Michael Jordan look good as a "picker" of players. (Sorry, just could not stop that from coming out.)

dolver
02-22-2013, 12:51 PM
I don't have allegiance to a specific NBA team, but always pull for Duke players. Often I will look for the team that has the most Dukies. After the trades, it appears to me that 2 Dukies is the max and there are 5 teams that fit that category. Correct me if I am wrong here or missed anyone:

Detroit: Magette, Singler
New Orleans: Rivers, L.Thomas
Charlotte: McRoberts, Henderson
Chicago: Deng, Boozer
Milwaukee: Dunleavy, Redick

Looks like I have a lot of teams to root for!

mike88
02-22-2013, 01:26 PM
I don't have allegiance to a specific NBA team, but always pull for Duke players. Often I will look for the team that has the most Dukies. After the trades, it appears to me that 2 Dukies is the max and there are 5 teams that fit that category. Correct me if I am wrong here or missed anyone:

Cleveland: Kyrie Irving (he counts twice)

Dev11
02-22-2013, 02:12 PM
Cleveland: Kyrie Irving (he counts twice)

Well, Tyler Zeller is on that team. He has his fair share of clutch shots for Duke.

dolver
02-22-2013, 02:34 PM
Well, Tyler Zeller is on that team. He has his fair share of clutch shots for Duke.

One of my favorites from after last year's game.

78Devil
02-22-2013, 06:36 PM
First of all, I am sorry for JJ going to Milwaukee. I was hoping the Spurs or Bulls rumors were true.

But one silver lining (for me). I got my law firm's floor tickets to the Milwaukee game next Wednesday. I took them because it fit into my schedule, not because I wanted to see the Bucks. But now I am really excited to go!

sagegrouse
02-22-2013, 10:04 PM
Here is what is wrong with the JJ trade.

He has stated over and over that he wanted to stay in Orlando and was even willing to take a pay cut to do so. When you also consider that he epitomized everything the DeVos family has said it stands for over the past years, it makes no sense. I guess it all boils down to Hennigan, the new GM, that seems to want to get rid of any ties to anyone in Orlando that was here before his arrival last year. The only one left that I am aware of is Jameer Nelson and I have not heard of any team that wants him at any price.

According to a couple of Orlando sources, over 2000 people have told the Magic, know in local circles as the "Tragic," that they would not renew their season tickets if JJ was traded. At the price of the tickets, not to mention any other benefits, the income would have paid his salary.

Hennigan is starting to make Michael Jordan look good as a "picker" of players. (Sorry, just could not stop that from coming out.)

JJ is an unrestricted free agent after this year. That happens only once in a career, JJ says (and he's right). JJ has to go for the $$$$. (Sure, he could accept a slight differential and remain in Orlando.) The Magic is unlikely to win a bidding war among 30 teams. It has no choice but to trade him.

As to your comment about Hennigan: Do you think he is a professional GM? If not, why was he hired? Why do you assume he does NOT want to build the best possible team, and why he cares who was here before he arrived?

Look, I know the whole world is a conspiracy -- that's why I have been stuck here for many, many decades.

sagegrouse

westwall
02-22-2013, 10:05 PM
"Magic faithful obviously lose a fan favorite in J.J. and an asset in the community.

Second best: "Redick's best friend on the team, Josh McRoberts, was sent to the Charlotte Bobcats . . . "

UrinalCake
02-22-2013, 10:22 PM
Correct me if I am wrong here or missed anyone:

Strangely enough, I don't believe any of those pairs of teammates played together while they were at Duke. Did McRoberts and Henderson overlap in the 2006-2007 season? I'd going from memory here and the two glasses of wine aren't helping.

BlueDevilBrowns
02-22-2013, 10:27 PM
JJ is an unrestricted free agent after this year. That happens only once in a career, JJ says (and he's right). JJ has to go for the $$$$. (Sure, he could accept a slight differential and remain in Orlando.) The Magic is unlikely to win a bidding war among 30 teams. It has no choice but to trade him.

sagegrouse

As a Cleveland Cavs fan, I would LOVE to see JJ paired with Kyrie next year in the back court. Then, bring back LBJ in '14. CHAMPIONSHIP:D

BlueDevilBrowns
02-22-2013, 10:31 PM
Strangely enough, I don't believe any of those pairs of teammates played together while they were at Duke. Did McRoberts and Henderson overlap in the 2006-2007 season? I'd going from memory here and the two glasses of wine aren't helping.

Yes, they did. Coincidentally, I've just had my 2nd Budweiser Black Crown. I haven't tried it before now and I have to say, it's pretty good.

Turtleboy
02-23-2013, 08:19 AM
I presume that JJ will not be staying in Milwaukee after April. He has proven that he is worth adding to a contender and will pursue that path.I know very little about the NBA. Is there another trade deadline in April?

freshmanjs
02-23-2013, 11:38 AM
Ben Golliver lists JJ Redick as one of the biggest losers from the trade deadline activity. I don't quite follow his logic, though. JJ gets to play on a likely playoff team for this spring and then can go anywhere after that. Certainly better than hanging around Orlando. Sure, it might have been better to go play for Boston or Chicago but I wouldn't agree that he lost in any way.

Trade Deadline Winners and Losers (http://nba.si.com/2013/02/21/nba-trade-deadline-winners-and-losers/?sct=uk_t11_a3)

fitimi1
02-23-2013, 11:48 AM

As to your comment about Hennigan: Do you think he is a professional GM? If not, why was he hired? Why do you assume he does NOT want to build the best possible team, and why he cares who was here before he arrived?

Look, I know the whole world is a conspiracy -- that's why I have been stuck here for many, many decades.

sagegrouse

I have followed you and your comments for the past several years and have always enjoyed them and for the most part have agreed since we are apparently not that far apart in age.

JJ indicated to several people that he did not want to leave and I believe them. Sometimes it is not about money. The best example ever discussed on this site was the Coach K saga with the Lakers. Would you have argued with Duke fans that it was a good move?

I did not say it was a conspiracy.

I don't know if Hennigan is a professional GM or not. In the absence of experience, even as an assistant GM, (IMHO, and I am not alone) he has done nothing since he arrived in Orlando to make one believe that he is. I have no idea why he was hired other than in his public appearances he talks a good game. I and many people who live in Orlando do think that the organization could and should have gotten something in return beside bench warmers and "D league" players for the likes of Dwight Howard, Ryan Anderson and JJ. (Exception is Afflalo) He did get Udrih in return for JJ. However Udrih is a year older, makes more money (approx. $7M vs. $6M) than JJ did and scores much less (approx. 6.5 PPG vs. 15.5PPG). Obviously, we are missing something.

What I do know is that Orlando did have a team that could and did compete for the NBA title and was exciting to watch. And now, not only do we not, there is no indication that we will have any time soon.

theAlaskanBear
02-23-2013, 11:54 AM
Ben Golliver lists JJ Redick as one of the biggest losers from the trade deadline activity. I don't quite follow his logic, though. JJ gets to play on a likely playoff team for this spring and then can go anywhere after that. Certainly better than hanging around Orlando. Sure, it might have been better to go play for Boston or Chicago but I wouldn't agree that he lost in any way.

Trade Deadline Winners and Losers (http://nba.si.com/2013/02/21/nba-trade-deadline-winners-and-losers/?sct=uk_t11_a3)

I think this is the logic for Ben Golliver -- Redick being a FA and have his best year playing a lot of minutes in a comfortable position in Orlando, now goes to a new team with an expensive starter (Monta Ellis) in front of him and a shot-happy backcourt. It might be difficult for Redick to get shots and play as well as he did, impacting his new contract. Plus if he was dealt to contender they could get to know him, see what kind of fit he is, and possibly resign him.

theAlaskanBear
02-23-2013, 12:12 PM
I know very little about the NBA. Is there another trade deadline in April?

I think the OP is referring to the end of the regular season (April 20th or thereabouts), and that JJ is unlikely to re-sign with the Bucks. They are a playoff team as of right now though, so barring a Bucks collapse he will be in the playoffs for them....but the point stands that Redick will explore his options, and the Bucks have a low chance to re-sign him.

Turtleboy
02-23-2013, 01:31 PM
I think the OP is referring to the end of the regular season (April 20th or thereabouts), and that JJ is unlikely to re-sign with the Bucks. They are a playoff team as of right now though, so barring a Bucks collapse he will be in the playoffs for them....but the point stands that Redick will explore his options, and the Bucks have a low chance to re-sign him.But as I understand it, there won't be any trading or signing done until after the playoffs, so April will be long gone before he does any exploring.

sagegrouse
02-23-2013, 08:53 PM
I have followed you and your comments for the past several years and have always enjoyed them and for the most part have agreed since we are apparently not that far apart in age.

JJ indicated to several people that he did not want to leave and I believe them. Sometimes it is not about money. The best example ever discussed on this site was the Coach K saga with the Lakers. Would you have argued with Duke fans that it was a good move?

I did not say it was a conspiracy.

I don't know if Hennigan is a professional GM or not. In the absence of experience, even as an assistant GM, (IMHO, and I am not alone) he has done nothing since he arrived in Orlando to make one believe that he is. I have no idea why he was hired other than in his public appearances he talks a good game. I and many people who live in Orlando do think that the organization could and should have gotten something in return beside bench warmers and "D league" players for the likes of Dwight Howard, Ryan Anderson and JJ. (Exception is Afflalo) He did get Udrih in return for JJ. However Udrih is a year older, makes more money (approx. $7M vs. $6M) than JJ did and scores much less (approx. 6.5 PPG vs. 15.5PPG). Obviously, we are missing something.

What I do know is that Orlando did have a team that could and did compete for the NBA title and was exciting to watch. And now, not only do we not, there is no indication that we will have any time soon.

I appreciate your frustration with Orlando -- I've been a Bullets/Wizards fan for decades with nothing to show for it since about 1980.

People that know much more than I do say that NBA teams must sign good players heading into unrestricted free agency before the trade deadline or trade them. The chance of a team retaining such an unsigned player is nearly zero. JJ is only getting into undrestricted free agency after SEVEN years in the league. If he gets a four-year contract this summer, he would then be an 11-year veteran and 33YO. This is his only chance in his prime years to offer himself to the highest bidder, although he is under no obligation to take the highest offer. Basketball, esp. the NBA is a business, and it is not "disloyal" for a player to act like it is a business. The teams certainly do!

Thanks for your kind words. I'll read your future posts more closely before responding.

sagegrouse

dukelifer
02-23-2013, 10:33 PM
JJ having a good first game with the Bucks. Hopefully they can win the game.

dukelifer
02-23-2013, 10:46 PM
JJ having a good first game with the Bucks. Hopefully they can win the game.

Lost by 1

moonpie23
02-23-2013, 10:52 PM
jj doesn't get the pass on the perimeter for the last shot when he's wide open.......guess he's gotta prove himself to these guys now....

78Devil
02-27-2013, 11:04 PM
Just got back from the Milwaukee/Houston game (Milwaukee won on the last shot). I got to sit on the second row, and it was awesome. Some observations:

1. JJ did us proud. He moved without the ball, played decent defense and was in constant communication with his new teammates and with the coach. You could see respect on the floor. And what is more, the crowd around me responded well to him. I can't believe he has only been with this team a week.

2. Dunleavy still looks 22, and still plays fluid and very good -- piling up good stats without looking like it. How the heck can someone in his early 30s look that young!

3. Monta Ellis is a black hole of ball hoggishness. You can read his stats for this game, and he looks like he is great. But in real life, its clear that he is a one man band. It worked out okay tonight, but ugh. I mean really, really ugh.

4. On a non-Duke note, James Harden is awesome. And most of the game, there were 3-4 eastern European forwards/centers on the floor from both teams who could all shoot from the floor and -- gasp -- could hit their free throws. The NCAA coaches need to drink from that Koolaid. I imagine that the coaches in Eastern Europe don't let those boys play until they can show that they can shoot free throws. Think how great it would have been if some high school coach could have told the Plumlees that!