PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Notre Dame 104, Louisville 101 (5OT)

matt1
02-10-2013, 12:02 AM
Start of 4th Overtime:

Louisville 83
Notre Dame 83

matt1
02-10-2013, 12:03 AM
Remember that 6OT Big East tourney game a few years ago between (I think) Syracuse and UConn?

rsvman
02-10-2013, 12:06 AM
Epic game going on right now on ESPN.

ND looked dead in the water in regulation. Then one guy scored 12 points in 42 seconds and the game went into overtime.

Now it's in the 4th OT. Siva fouled out for Louisville, 3 starters out for ND. It's just crazy!

matt1
02-10-2013, 12:06 AM
What a game! I want a 5th OT!

ScreechTDX1847
02-10-2013, 12:11 AM
Yep. Great game. Very efficient and effective BBall by both teams in the OTs.

ScreechTDX1847
02-10-2013, 12:15 AM
That Sherman kid is KILLING it.

sporthenry
02-10-2013, 12:15 AM
It is a great game. I wouldn't call it very pretty basketball. Notre Dame is relying on like their 7th and 8th man for offense. And Louisville without Siva looks lost. Smith and Pitino must be fun to watch in practice.

matt1
02-10-2013, 12:16 AM
Quintuple overtime!!!!

rsvman
02-10-2013, 12:17 AM
And..........they're going to FIVE

throatybeard
02-10-2013, 12:17 AM
I seriously just switched to this at the beginning of the fifth OT.

We're for Louisville, right? We beat them.

matt1
02-10-2013, 12:18 AM
Can this beat the 6 overtimes from the Syracuse / UConn game in the 2009 Big East Tournament?

vick
02-10-2013, 12:19 AM
I'm pretty sure they mentioned during the pregame show that one of the refs worked a game earlier today (he's working two because a number of refs couldn't travel due to the snowstorm). Yikes.

sporthenry
02-10-2013, 12:21 AM
Behanan has 15 of his 30 in the OT's. Him and Blackshear always impressed me and never understood why they were almost 2nd fiddle in their offense.

jipops
02-10-2013, 12:21 AM
Been watching since end of regulation, unbelievable game.

Sherman having the overtimes of his life.

uh_no
02-10-2013, 12:22 AM
Behanan has 15 of his 30 in the OT's. Him and Blackshear always impressed me and never understood why they were almost 2nd fiddle in their offense.

well, most of the OT perofrmance may be because cooley fouled out...so his offensive numbers might have gotten a bit of a boost

matt1
02-10-2013, 12:23 AM
During regulation, it looked like it would be played in the 50's. Now, the teams are going to both go over 100!

sporthenry
02-10-2013, 12:24 AM
well, most of the OT perofrmance may be because cooley fouled out...so his offensive numbers might have gotten a bit of a boost

It isn't just this game. And I believe Cooley was on Dieng but he hasn't been in the game for 30 minutes of actual game time and Behanan wasn't really used til Siva went out.

Smith has been terrible with the late shots.

matt1
02-10-2013, 12:28 AM
Please miss, Notre Dame. I want a 6th Overtime!

Durham Thunder
02-10-2013, 12:28 AM
Classic. I loved accidentally watching Cuse-Uconn for the 6 overtimes. Im loving this. ND will outlast UL

matt1
02-10-2013, 12:30 AM
89 free throws have been attempted

uh_no
02-10-2013, 12:30 AM
Classic. I loved accidentally watching Cuse-Uconn for the 6 overtimes. Im loving this. ND will outlast UL

i'm hoping to finally erase that memory

matt1
02-10-2013, 12:31 AM
Now 91 (after Louisville's to try to tie it)

uh_no
02-10-2013, 12:31 AM

is that the number taken, or the number of clutch freethrows that UL has missed?

matt1
02-10-2013, 12:32 AM

Here come numbers 92 and 93

matt1
02-10-2013, 12:33 AM
Here come numbers 92 and 93

94 and 95

matt1
02-10-2013, 12:35 AM
I have never heard of a person just coming in at the end of 5th OT with the game on the line!

They should give you extra personal fouls in OT.

FTs # 96 and 97

matt1
02-10-2013, 12:36 AM
What a game!

rsvman
02-10-2013, 12:36 AM
Victory for the Irish!

sporthenry
02-10-2013, 12:37 AM
Way too much court storming nowadays. Wisconsin has beaten something like 4 of the last top 5 teams in their building, yet they stormed the court. I'm sure ND has a pretty good record against ranked teams and this was 11 at 24.

uh_no
02-10-2013, 12:38 AM
jeez.....i was hoping for 6....but oh well!

either way, with the foul outs, i looked up the following, which explains what happens when you foul out too many people:

2. Each team may continue to play with fewer than five players when all
other squad members are not eligible or able to play.

just an interesting tidbit out of the rulebook that i was unaware of previously

matt1
02-10-2013, 12:38 AM
Just think- that would be an ACC game in 2 years!

throatybeard
02-10-2013, 12:39 AM
Does everybody rush the floor after every game with a ranked team now? I mean, I get the OT issue, but, as Brey said "It only counts as one Big East win." Pretty much every ESPN game I see results in a court-rushing.

cptnflash
Wow, what an unbelievable game. How has Garrick Sherman been buried on the bench all year, he looks like a really good player. Congrats to the Irish on an impressive win in a truly epic Big East battle!

uh_no
Does everybody rush the floor after every game with a ranked team now? I mean, I get the OT issue, but, as Brey said "It only counts as one Big East win." Pretty much every ESPN game I see results in a court-rushing.

well, we should take that as a blessing of having a lot of exciting games to watch!

sporthenry
02-10-2013, 12:40 AM
I have never heard of a person just coming in at the end of 5th OT with the game on the line!

They should give you extra personal fouls in OT.

Dickie V had the idea that you never get disqualified but that you get 5 fouls and every foul after that gives the other team 2 shots and the ball. I'm not sure how I feel about it but it is an interesting idea and it certainly makes for better basketball. If this happened in the NCAAT, it would be crazy and memorable but do you really want Cooley's career ending because Sherman can't hit a shot?

matt1
02-10-2013, 12:40 AM

I may be in the minority, but I love watching court rushings when we are not the victims.

throatybeard
02-10-2013, 12:43 AM
I may be in the minority, but I love watching court rushings when we are not the victims.

I guess. I'm still thinking about the dude in the wheelchair at State.

uh_no
02-10-2013, 12:43 AM
Dickie V had the idea that you never get disqualified but that you get 5 fouls and every foul after that gives the other team 2 shots and the ball. I'm not sure how I feel about it but it is an interesting idea and it certainly makes for better basketball. If this happened in the NCAAT, it would be crazy and memorable but do you really want Cooley's career ending because Sherman can't hit a shot?

didn't seem to be an issue tonight!

but removing the foul out takes so much of the complexity out of the game....do you bench a guy after 2 in a half? do you leave him in? take him out? effectively there is no punishment for the INDIVIDUAL to play clean defense....

part of being a good defender is not fouling.....if you as a player want to stay on the floor, don't foul.

vick
02-10-2013, 12:45 AM

either way, with the foul outs, i looked up the following, which explains what happens when you foul out too many people:

Clemson finished a game against UNC with four players on the court (http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1298&dat=19980129&id=lKJjAAAAIBAJ&sjid=mggGAAAAIBAJ&pg=6897,5311570) back in 1998.

weezie
02-10-2013, 12:45 AM
Does everybody rush the floor after every game with a ranked team now?

Yep, ever-body should rush the court after every game but especially this one since it took 5 OTs to finally take some of the gas out of Dickie V's bag.
In fact, I'm rushing to bed.

Olympic Fan
02-10-2013, 12:51 AM

"My team's on the floor"

sporthenry
02-10-2013, 12:51 AM
didn't seem to be an issue tonight!

but removing the foul out takes so much of the complexity out of the game....do you bench a guy after 2 in a half? do you leave him in? take him out? effectively there is no punishment for the INDIVIDUAL to play clean defense....

part of being a good defender is not fouling.....if you as a player want to stay on the floor, don't foul.

But in a game with 5 OT's, you are essentially asking for the game to be decided by the bench players. Yeah, Sherman had a great night. But imagine Marshall, Josh and TT being in there during a FF game in 4 OT's. Maybe giving people an additional foul for each OT is the right call then but I sort of come down to wanting the best players deciding the game.

And the complexity would be changed. 2 shots and the ball would be rather prohibitive. I used to like the game planning and the fact that the better team could win if they got the other team's big man in foul trouble but I've seen too many ticky tack calls in March decide a team's fate.

uh_no
02-10-2013, 12:57 AM
But in a game with 5 OT's, you are essentially asking for the game to be decided by the bench players. Yeah, Sherman had a great night. But imagine Marshall, Josh and TT being in there during a FF game in 4 OT's. Maybe giving people an additional foul for each OT is the right call then but I sort of come down to wanting the best players deciding the game.

And the complexity would be changed. 2 shots and the ball would be rather prohibitive. I used to like the game planning and the fact that the better team could win if they got the other team's big man in foul trouble but I've seen too many ticky tack calls in March decide a team's fate.

I would be more in favor of adding fouls for so much extra time......normal gameplay is a foul every 8 minutes....so i would be in favor of everyone getting an extra foul every second overtime...but i would start it after the first overtime....so first overtime is played up to 5 fouls, then 2 and 3 are up to 6....4 and 5 up to 7.....

at least that doesn't give you an immediate free pass if the game goes to overtime, but for these games that go deeper, it helps keep players on the floor

BUT, if you previously fouled out, you're done...no coming back....so if you got 5 in the first overtime, you don't magically become reeligible when the limit gets bumped in the second OT

mgtr
02-10-2013, 10:04 AM
I think the present system encourages teams to try to win in regulation, just as Duke did in the NC against Butler. There was discussion after that game about K wanting Zoubs to miss his second free throw so that Butler would not have time to set up a play and possibly send the game into overtime. Butler made a valiant effort (which included flattening Singler somehow) and nearly won the game.

hurleyfor3
02-10-2013, 04:41 PM
I think the present system encourages teams to try to win in regulation, just as Duke did in the NC against Butler.

I agree, and believe more generally that the current rules introduce an element of randomness that serves to end games sooner rather than later.

The equivalent in baseball would be to allow substituted players to return in extra innings.

NFL overtimes are short primarily because they have so many random elements (coin toss, magnified effect of turnovers and field position etc).