PDA

View Full Version : NY Times Perspective on J-Will

theschwartz
02-09-2013, 03:09 PM
New York Times has a great long read (http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/10/sports/basketball/a-leg-rebuilt-a-life-renewed-for-jay-williams.html?pagewanted=1&_r=2&ref=sports) on Jason (he'll always be "Jason" to me) Williams, in particular, details about his accident and his rehab. Really moving piece in a lot of ways but it sounds like he's gained a great deal of perspective and appreciation for life. I'll always treasure my memories of watching him in Cameron and in a Duke uniform.

Mudge
02-09-2013, 05:23 PM
New York Times has a great long read (http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/10/sports/basketball/a-leg-rebuilt-a-life-renewed-for-jay-williams.html?pagewanted=1&_r=2&ref=sports) on Jason (he'll always be "Jason" to me) Williams, in particular, details about his accident and his rehab. Really moving piece in a lot of ways but it sounds like he's gained a great deal of perspective and appreciation for life. I'll always treasure my memories of watching him in Cameron and in a Duke uniform.

As to the DBR story on Williams allegedly dating Charissa Thompson from ESPN-- guess there's not much ambiguity about that-- if you read this NYT article, she's the one that gives his injured knee massages that make/help him fall asleep immediately.

I guess he deserves much credit for how he has surmounted his trauma, but it still is hard to read about/think about/contemplate... you always end up thinking about "what if". It's inevitable that young people are going to do foolish things-- it's a part of being young-- you just hate to see them pay such a huge price for a few moments of foolishness.

On the other hand, had Jason Williams had the career that most people expected, there is a certain triteness to it-- and it's probable that he never would have grown into the introspective, contemplative man he is today (who wants to be the Black Matt Lauer!-- we'll not comment on his choice of aspirations, and just say that it is fairly different than the average jock's). In a weird way, he is more memorable, unique, and remarkable, because of the outstanding way he has triumphed over non-sporting adversity, than he would have been, had he had the normal athletic career that was forecast... but still... what might have been...

coldriver10
02-09-2013, 07:12 PM
What a beautifully written article. It really does his story justice.

aheel4ever
02-10-2013, 09:09 AM
I'm in my mid 50's, a lifelong UNC fan and alumnus, and there are few around who are more passionate about the Duke/UNC rivalry than I am. I just wanted to say thanks for posting the link to the article on Jason Williams. I'd previously not been fully aware of the severity of his injury from the accident. That's quite a story. Articles such as this will undoubtedly serve as an inspiration to many.

OldPhiKap
02-10-2013, 11:50 AM
I'm in my mid 50's, a lifelong UNC fan and alumnus, and there are few around who are more passionate about the Duke/UNC rivalry than I am. I just wanted to say thanks for posting the link to the article on Jason Williams. I'd previously not been fully aware of the severity of his injury from the accident. That's quite a story. Articles such as this will undoubtedly serve as an inspiration to many.

Thanks for posting! There are times (like the death of UNC's student body president a few years ago) that remind all of us to keep the rivalry in perspective.

Sport is fun, but it is not life.

davekay1971
02-10-2013, 05:54 PM
It's a great article. Really, a must read for us Duke fans who celebrated Jay Williams on the court and have gotten to watch him grow and improve as an analyst. There were some dark years in between, and I'm happy that Jay has come through.