PDA

View Full Version : MOTM: Duke vs. NC State (Feb 7, 2013)

JBDuke
02-07-2013, 11:11 PM
Who was Man of the Match in Duke's 98-85 win over NC State?

Les Grossman
02-07-2013, 11:14 PM
Seth in iH, Mason in 2H
Mason just looked inspired.

basket1544
02-07-2013, 11:16 PM
Give half a point to each of the two seniors

How about we give each senior .4 points and Quinn gets the remaining .2. Really a team effort.

sporthenry
02-07-2013, 11:27 PM
This year more than ever, it seems impossible to just pick one guy. Perhaps we really are a great "team" this year. But you just have so many contributions from everyone. Even from the scoring front, the guys seem to go in bunches. Rasheed opened the big leads in the last 2 games. Tonight, Curry extended that lead. Murphy had a few big plays in the 1H to keep the energy up. And Cook was sprinkled in the whole game.

But the 2H belonged to the big men. Amile had some big offensive possessions even with his inability to stop Leslie. But MOM has to be Mason. All the scoring was important tonight but his ability to score at will was necessary when the shots fell.

Team is different with Cook as he makes everything run. And a little disclaimer, I didn't really factor in defense when voting b/c it looked like the All Star game tonight.

Les Grossman
02-08-2013, 07:05 AM
Agree about QC. He is a difference maker.

moonpie23
02-08-2013, 07:46 AM
feed the beast.....

Dukeblue91
02-08-2013, 08:45 AM
Mason was it no questions asked.
I am so glad he stayed his last year, god knows where we'd be without him.
Don't want to even think about that.

sagegrouse
02-08-2013, 09:27 AM
Mason was it no questions asked.
I am so glad he stayed his last year, god knows where we'd be without him.
Don't want to even think about that.

I don't understand Mark Gottfried. Mason fouls out both of his not-so-big men. Jordan Vandenberg, the classic five-fouls-off-the-bench, didn't get off the bench until both had fouled out. Mason abused both Howell and Leslie -- how much worse could Vandenberg have been?

Mason, showing more muscle than at any time in his career, is my MOTM.

sagegrouse
'I am even beginning to enjoy his Perils-of-Pauline FT shooting -- "Did that really go in?"'

PADukeMom
02-08-2013, 12:14 PM
Seth Curry but a big part of me wanted to vote for Alex.

PSurprise
02-08-2013, 01:40 PM
Mason carried the team tonight, and I'll be a little more specific and say Mason's free throw shooting is MOTM. Think what he could do if he could bring his FT percentage up to 70.

sporthenry
02-08-2013, 01:48 PM
Mason carried the team tonight, and I'll be a little more specific and say Mason's free throw shooting is MOTM. Think what he could do if he could bring his FT percentage up to 70.

To be fair, it is at 65% contrary to the the announcers said about his FT% in ACC play. The ACC FT% might be a trend but they just ignored his season long FT%. They failed to acknowledge he went 8-10 against Wake (0-0 against FSU). And I think he was at or near the 70% coming into ACC play. So hopefully, like Sheed he is out of his funk.

PSurprise
02-08-2013, 01:53 PM
To be fair, it is at 65% contrary to the the announcers said about his FT% in ACC play. The ACC FT% might be a trend but they just ignored his season long FT%. They failed to acknowledge he went 8-10 against Wake (0-0 against FSU). And I think he was at or near the 70% coming into ACC play. So hopefully, like Sheed he is out of his funk.

Yes, I knew he had improved in the last few days/weeks, but wasn't sure what his season average was. Hopefully he can keep it up!

devildeac
02-08-2013, 06:57 PM

I'd take a few more 12/16 performances from the stripe;).

Newton_14
02-08-2013, 09:34 PM
I don't understand Mark Gottfried. Mason fouls out both of his not-so-big men. Jordan Vandenberg, the classic five-fouls-off-the-bench, didn't get off the bench until both had fouled out. Mason abused both Howell and Leslie -- how much worse could Vandenberg have been?

Mason, showing more muscle than at any time in his career, is my MOTM.

sagegrouse
'I am even beginning to enjoy his Perils-of-Pauline FT shooting -- "Did that really go in?"'

Actually Sage, your memory is failing you on this one. Vandenberg played in the first half in place of Howell after Howell picked up his 2nd foul. Can't recall how long he was out there but JV played long enough to get posterized by Alex "The Beast Is Within Me But Soon Will Come Out" Murphy. Check the video. You do have a valid point in that Gottfried should have played JV more though. Mason was flatout abusing Leslie in the 2nd Half during the times Howell was resting or coaxing the foul situation. I was surprised Gottfried chose to go small instead. Big mistake. Especially as poorly as Warren and Purvis were playing.

For me, Mason was the MOTM. 30 and 9 against State's frontline is darn impressive. 12-16 from the line. Mason just looked like the same player we saw in those first 15 games. Very confident, very aggressive, great post moves, with no hesitation. He knew what he wanted to do then did it. Very awesome to watch. Not sure why, but I loved it, when down the stretch, Mason posted Howell, and Howell was very aggressive while bodying Mase up. Mason took his right hand, and swatted Howell's hand away from his lower back, then made a great move. That looked exactly like a veteran All-American Big Man sending a message to the defender. Nice.

Loved the play of Quinn, and the overall shooting and play of Seth, but Mason was A Man last night. He gets my vote.

sagegrouse
02-08-2013, 11:30 PM
Actually Sage, your memory is failing you on this one. Vandenberg played in the first half in place of Howell after Howell picked up his 2nd foul. Can't recall how long he was out there but JV played long enough to get posterized by Alex "The Beast Is Within Me But Soon Will Come Out" Murphy. Check the video. You do have a valid point in that Gottfried should have played JV more though. Mason was flatout abusing Leslie in the 2nd Half during the times Howell was resting or coaxing the foul situation. I was surprised Gottfried chose to go small instead. Big mistake. Especially as poorly as Warren and Purvis were playing.

Yeah, I thought he was in the game earlier, but the boxscore only gives him credit for two minutes -- and I thought he played that much after Howell fouled out.

sage