PDA

View Full Version : Snow Storm to impact 2/10 game vs BC?

roywhite
02-07-2013, 09:52 AM
Looks a major blizzard brewing for Southern New England

Wondering if this creates a problem for the 2/10 game, scheduled for 6:00 PM vs BC
If BC could get out (Friday during the day?) would it make sense to exchange home dates (2/24 scheduled for Duke vs BC in Cameron)?

CrazyNotCrazie
02-07-2013, 10:46 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if they try to leave on Friday (I assume they normally would leave on Saturday). I think the storm will likely be done by late Saturday, but it would be cutting it really close to try to fly down on Sunday morning. It is way too complicated to start swapping game dates.

David
02-07-2013, 11:25 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if they try to leave on Friday (I assume they normally would leave on Saturday). I think the storm will likely be done by late Saturday, but it would be cutting it really close to try to fly down on Sunday morning. It is way too complicated to start swapping game dates.

I think you are correct: the team will have to fly to Boston on Friday or do a late Saturday/early Sunday morning flight (snow is supposed to taper off by late Sat afternoon). I would think Duke takes the risk averse approach of coming up on Friday but what do I know.

94duke
02-07-2013, 02:48 PM
Does the NCAA allow early travel? Does missing or not missing class (friday night departure) come into play?

Andre Buckner Fan
02-07-2013, 10:15 PM
I live up in Boston. They're already preemptively closing the airports and calling for at least two feet of snow, more in some areas.
They're also shutting the MBTA. It could be because of Sandy they are being over-cautious, but they're calling for truly epic snowfalls.

They expect it to start mid-Friday, so unless they leave in early AM, I doubt that this game will happen unless they get in really early on Sunday just before game time.

Andre Buckner Fan
02-07-2013, 10:16 PM
Or I should say pre-canceling most flights... not the entire airport.

I hope they don't cancel the game, because I've got tix. But I don't see any scenario in which Duke can get here ahead of the blizzard.

dukelifer
02-07-2013, 10:18 PM
Looks a major blizzard brewing for Southern New England

Wondering if this creates a problem for the 2/10 game, scheduled for 6:00 PM vs BC
If BC could get out (Friday during the day?) would it make sense to exchange home dates (2/24 scheduled for Duke vs BC in Cameron)?

Play two on the 24th.

cptnflash
02-07-2013, 11:12 PM
If the forecast proves to be correct, I think there is a high likelihood that this game will be postponed. Best bet would be to fly up there tonight and stay in a hotel within walking distance of the arena.

Saratoga2
02-07-2013, 11:17 PM
If the forecast proves to be correct, I think there is a high likelihood that this game will be postponed. Best bet would be to fly up there tonight and stay in a hotel within walking distance of the arena.

I used to live there and remember just such a storm. We got 55 inches of snow on Rte 128 and that major road was closed for days. Postponement is a possibility.

OZZIE4DUKE
02-08-2013, 09:08 AM
According to this morning's N&O, the team hopes to fly up Saturday afternoon after the snow has stopped and the airport has reopened. :cool: Flying charter, they would have a chance if the airport does reopen.

jamos14
02-08-2013, 09:15 AM
According to this morning's N&O, the team hopes to fly up Saturday afternoon after the snow has stopped and the airport has reopened. :cool: Flying charter, they would have a chance if the airport does reopen.

The Duke Team is on a flight now on the way to Boston according to Mark Watson.

sagegrouse
02-08-2013, 09:20 AM

I hope the refs are on their way.

sage

Channing
02-08-2013, 09:53 AM
Didn't Duke play Georgetown in DC during or right after the Snowpocalypse there a couple years ago? I seem to remember people cross country skiing or snowboarding to the arena. I could be totally off base though.

blazindw
02-08-2013, 10:17 AM
Didn't Duke play Georgetown in DC during or right after the Snowpocalypse there a couple years ago? I seem to remember people cross country skiing or snowboarding to the arena. I could be totally off base though.

It was a few days before the 2nd Snowpocalypse we had that year...we had had a snow that was about 6 inches the night before, but that was just an appetizer for the two blizzards in 5 days that we ended up getting.

MChambers
02-08-2013, 10:22 AM
It was a few days before the 2nd Snowpocalypse we had that year...we had had a snow that was about 6 inches the night before, but that was just an appetizer for the two blizzards in 5 days that we ended up getting.
That snowfall was minor. I remember having to drive during the game and the roads were fine.

Snowpocalypse was something far worse. We had more than 30 inches at my house in a span of about 4 days.

MCFinARL
02-08-2013, 11:09 AM

Hope they have snowshoes. "Walking" in 2-3 feet of snow could be a challenge.

jimsumner
02-08-2013, 12:04 PM
I was told last night that Duke still planned on flying up Saturday afternoon but that they were monitoring the situation--especially the airport--and would remain flexible. So, if they changed to Friday A.M., the situation must be more menacing than it was last night.

That said, I cannot imagine the game being canceled. There was a Duke-Maryland game back in the '80s that was postponed because Maryland couldn't fly out of D.C. But if both teams, the refs and someone who can run the clock and scoreboard are in the house, they'll play.

There was a Duke-GT game on a snowy Sunday afternoon back in 1996 that was played with what could not have been more than a thousand people in the Cameron stands. I live 25 miles away and I stayed at home.

But the game was played. As was a 1979 Duke-Louisville game in Charlotte, whose attendance was ravaged by a winter storm.

They aren't having this game at 6 P.M. on a Sunday for the convenience of anyone except the TV contract. Which trumps all.

PADukeMom
02-08-2013, 12:22 PM
I'm in Pennsylvania, it is just past noon and not a snowflake in sight. It isn't supposed to start here until after 5 tonight so I wouldn't imagine it starting before midnight in the Boston area.
For all of you who have never experienced a Nor'Easter I don't see how this game gets played on Sunday. It's just not that easy to remove 2-3' of snow. I can't even imagine Logan being open on Saturday. Even if the game were to somehow happen I don't imagine there will be that many fans in attendance. It isn't the snow as much as the windy conditions that will be a huge issue.

jimsumner
02-08-2013, 12:26 PM
I'm in Pennsylvania, it is just past noon and not a snowflake in sight. It isn't supposed to start here until after 5 tonight so I wouldn't imagine it starting before midnight in the Boston area.
For all of you who have never experienced a Nor'Easter I don't see how this game gets played on Sunday. It's just not that easy to remove 2-3' of snow. I can't even imagine Logan being open on Saturday. Even if the game were to somehow happen I don't imagine there will be that many fans in attendance. It isn't the snow as much as the windy conditions that will be a huge issue.

Fans don't have to be in attendance. As long as there's enough electricity for lights and TV cameras.

Lots of college basketball games have been played in front of sparse crowds. Lots.

Kedsy
02-08-2013, 12:32 PM
As was a 1979 Duke-Louisville game in Charlotte, whose attendance was ravaged by a winter storm.

I was at that game. The stands were practically empty (we got to move all the way down to mid-court, 2nd row). If I remember correctly they were short one ref (and one of the two remaining refs was Lenny Wirtz, so insert your favorite ref joke here). Duke beat the "Doctors of Dunk," continuing a "we always win in the snow" meme that was going on at the time. We continued to always win when it snowed up until I left school in 1982, but I'm not sure how well that's held up since.

buddy
02-08-2013, 01:54 PM
Just got back from the Blue Devil Club lunch. Chris Collins was the speaker, so obviously the team did not fly out this morning. They are monitoring the situation, and may even have to fly up Sunday morning.

Personally, I think the league should have switched sites. We are concerned about the team, but in addition the game needs officials, and the stadium needs the usual crew of ushers, maintenance people, security, electricians, etc. Those people may actually have a harder time getting there than the teams. And I know the arena is usually a mausoleum, but I would think ticketholders would have an even harder time getting there. Really, what point is it to play a game in front of 300 people? I know switching the games would inconvenience ticket holders, but it seems it would be safer all around.

bluebear
02-08-2013, 01:58 PM

It's been snowing up here in Boston since mid morning and starting to intensify. They are predicting over a foot by midnight with 2 feet by the end tomorrow midday. Logan is suppose to close at 3. Hope they are on the way now because otherwise I imagine it'll be Sunday am. Things should be fine for the game

CrazyNotCrazie
02-08-2013, 02:22 PM
I normally dislike these Sunday evening games and I'm guessing they are tough for the team academically as they get home late Sunday night with classes on Monday, but in this case, the extra few hours vs. an early afternoon tip could make a huge difference.

geraldsneighbor
02-08-2013, 03:32 PM
I assume Duke did not travel today because it was a scheduled off day. Any travel or full team practice counts for it not being an off day. I'd imagine Duke is willing to try to fly in Sunday so they can still practice Monday and Tuesday before Carolina.

hurleyfor3
02-08-2013, 03:56 PM
Lots of college basketball games have been played in front of sparse crowds. Lots.

From the looks of the crowd at last night's Washington/Ucla game, Los Angeles got two feet of snow. It was so bad Bill Walton derided ucla fans.

wallyman
02-08-2013, 04:16 PM
Not gonna happen, but rooting for the game to be cancelled. Would be great to get the extra rest and only two things can happen -- one terrible, the other so expected it doesn't matter.

David
02-08-2013, 04:41 PM

Having lived in the Boston area for nearly a decade, I have no doubt that the roads and stadium will be ready Sun evening. Folks here are taking this storm seriously but there is also incredible infrastructure in place to clear the roads, etc. I predict it will be "business as usual" very quickly. For example, the Boston Bruins delayed the start of their game on SATURDAY from 1pm to 7pm. If the Bruins can play on Sat night, then BC can certainly play Sunday night. The issue is largely about travel (Duke, game officials...).

msdukie
02-08-2013, 04:50 PM
Not gonna happen, but rooting for the game to be cancelled. Would be great to get the extra rest and only two things can happen -- one terrible, the other so expected it doesn't matter.

By your logic, we should cancel every regular season game through the end of time. SMH

throatybeard
02-08-2013, 05:40 PM
There was a Duke-GT game on a snowy Sunday afternoon back in 1996 that was played with what could not have been more than a thousand people in the Cameron stands. I live 25 miles away and I stayed at home.

IIRC, that was Stephon Marbury's only game at Cameron. I missed the game too. I wanted to come over from W-S but didn't have my own vehicle yet and my folks wouldn't let me take one of theirs. We had about 11 inches in Winston. Maybe 12 or 13 in spots. I think it was on TV though.

wallyman
02-08-2013, 06:11 PM
By your logic, we should cancel every regular season game through the end of time. SMH

But even mostly kidding about something that's not happening, no one, as far as I know, is suggesting that. But with Seth hobbling, Ryan out, Josh maybe or maybe not out, thinking about missing a trip to Boston late in the season when fatigue has to be setting in. isn't quite the same as suggesting we close the door and wait for baseball and lacrosse....

Indoor66
02-08-2013, 07:11 PM
But the game was played. As was a 1979 Duke-Louisville game in Charlotte, whose attendance was ravaged by a winter storm.

I was in Charlotte for that game - staying at a friends house. It snowed like the devil all night. We were snowed in and could not get to the game and ended up watching it on TV. I sure hated that.

77devil
02-08-2013, 08:57 PM
I was in Charlotte for that game - staying at a friends house. It snowed like the devil all night. We were snowed in and could not get to the game and ended up watching it on TV. I sure hated that.

Me too, but was at a nearby hotel and walked to the game. It was an interesting drive back to Durham.

tommy
02-08-2013, 09:08 PM
I'm reading that Logan will stay closed until "at least" Sunday. Which sounds like flying up Sunday morning is unlikely.

Jim3k
02-09-2013, 12:50 AM
Per WHDH-TV 7. (http://www1.whdh.com/news/articles/local/12009801668752/logan-airport-cancels-over-150-flights/) If Duke didn't leave on Friday, they won't leave until Sunday. The story says even the three NYC airports are down.

wavedukefan70s
02-09-2013, 12:57 AM
This is the latest i have heard.
BOSTON (CBS) – Gov. Deval Patrick declared a state of emergency in Massachusetts Friday afternoon for the blizzard that could bring up to 3 feet of snow.

He also announced he has signed an executive order to ban all travel on all roads in the state starting at 4 p.m. Friday.

gumbomoop
02-09-2013, 01:58 AM
Just engaging in some idle but ominous speculation here, based on latest info in posts # 33-35.

IF Duke cannot get to Boston by Sun aft and the game is postponed, there are no good options for rescheduling it. Given each team's schedule, here are some "logical" options, from which you should feel free to choose the least bad one. Good luck.

1. Mon 2/11 aft, if Duke can make it by then. BC has a home game on W 2/13. Duke has UNC on 2/13.

2. Sun 2/17 eve. Duke plays @ Md Sat 2/16 6 p.m. On Sat 2/16, BC plays @ FSU at noon. This option requires both Duke and BC to play back-to-back days. BC would presumably be able to fly back to Boston by early eve Sat 2/16, whereas Duke would arrive in Boston late eve.

3. Mon 2/18 eve. BC moves its home game with Md from Tues 2/19 to Wed 2/20. BC would thus play @ FSU on Sat 2/16, Duke at home on Mon 2/18, Md at home on Wed 2/20, @ Duke on Sun 2/24. Duke would play @ Md on Sat 2/16, @ BC on Mon 2/18, @ VT on Th 2/21, home to BC on Sun 2/24. Piece of cake.

4. (a) Mon 2/25. Back-to-back in more ways than one. Or (b) maybe a day/night doubleheader on Sun 2/24, in different cities. Night game starts at 11 p.m.

5. Wed or Thurs 3/6-7 eve. Duke plays VT in CIS on Tues 3/5, and of course @UNC on Sat eve 3/9. BC plays @ Clemson on Tues 3/5, and I don't care whom they play on Sat 3/9.

6. Sun or Mon 3/10-11, after the previously scheduled final regular-season ACC game.

7. Cancel the game, period. Duke and BC each play 17 conference games. Truly unbalanced. Act of God.

throatybeard
02-09-2013, 02:14 AM

So the team is definitely still in North Carolina. Got it.

Jim3k
02-09-2013, 02:47 AM
Just engaging in some idle but ominous speculation here, based on latest info in posts # 33-35.

7. Cancel the game, period. ... Truly unbalanced. Act of God.

I knew the Eagles weren't looking forward to this game...but who knew intercessory prayers arising from St. Mary's Chapel on the BC campus (http://collegeapps.about.com/od/phototours/ss/boston-college-photo-tour_2.htm) could overpower the powerful Blue Devils coming from close by the Duke Chapel? :rolleyes:

Well...the intervention hasn't happened yet. If it does, I just hope a game cancellation is the worst of it.

El_Diablo
02-09-2013, 09:02 AM
Boston (Logan Airport): 21.8" of snow already. 3-5" more expected over the next several hours. :eek:

75Crazie
02-09-2013, 09:19 AM
Come on, guys, quit hogging all this snow back east and send some of it out west where we dearly need it.

BCGroup
02-09-2013, 09:32 AM
According to CNN about 30 minutes ago, the NY airports are going to open for limited flights later today, but Boston Logan will remain closed today.

matt1
02-09-2013, 10:06 AM
In Philly, the storm was a bust. We got an inch, if that. Could they fly in to Philly and drive ~6 hours to Boston.

roywhite
02-09-2013, 11:21 AM
The Boston Bruins re-scheduled their game from 1:00 PM today Saturday to......7:00 PM today Saturday.

http://espn.go.com/boston/nhl/story/_/id/8930195/boston-bruins-tampa-bay-lightning-game-time-changed-7-pm

Andre Buckner Fan
02-09-2013, 12:04 PM
In Philly, the storm was a bust. We got an inch, if that. Could they fly in to Philly and drive ~6 hours to Boston.

As of now, only emergency vehicles and road crews are allowed to drive in Boston. That will change in a few hours, but the roads are a nightmare. They won't be passable for many hours and perhaps a whole day...

JBDuke
02-09-2013, 02:11 PM
Duke MBB official Twitter feed just announced that the team won't be traveling to Boston until tomorrow morning.

https://twitter.com/intent/user?screen_name=Duke_MBB

Bob Green
02-09-2013, 05:00 PM
The Boston Bruins re-scheduled their game from 1:00 PM today Saturday to......7:00 PM today Saturday.

http://espn.go.com/boston/nhl/story/_/id/8930195/boston-bruins-tampa-bay-lightning-game-time-changed-7-pm

The Bruins game has been postponed:

http://espn.go.com/boston/nhl/story/_/id/8932079/boston-bruins-tampa-bay-lightning-game-postponed

Jim3k
02-09-2013, 07:43 PM
Logan hopes to reopen by 11 pm (http://www.boston.com/metrodesk/2013/02/09/logan-airport-digging-out-from-the-blizzard/vnRZn5GLGn8TYCVQjuE5SO/story.html) Saturday night. That report is 7 hours old as I write, and there has not been a Boston Globe update. Per WUnderground, at this hour it is 17º F. and clear; expected to go down to 12º. Looks like a go for a Sunday a.m. arrival. The boys better be wearing their fur-lined...uh...equipment.

The BC campus, though must still be a question. In past years, Chestnut Hill has had as much as 8 feet of snow, making the place impassable.

uh_no
02-09-2013, 07:45 PM
Logan hopes to reopen by 11 pm (http://www.boston.com/metrodesk/2013/02/09/logan-airport-digging-out-from-the-blizzard/vnRZn5GLGn8TYCVQjuE5SO/story.html) Saturday night. That report is 7 hours old as I write, and there has not been a Boston Globe update. Per WUnderground, at this hour it is 17º F. and clear; expected to go down to 12º. Looks like a go for a Sunday a.m. arrival. The boys better be wearing their fur-lined...uh...equipment.

The BC campus, though must still be a question. In past years, Chestnut Hill has had as much as 8 feet of snow, making the place impassable.

having had to sit through 3 years worth of "parents weekend" festivities when my sibling was a student there, I now consider the whole place permanently impassable :)

anyway

safe travels for the team....maybe they should consider taking a boat.

devildeac
02-09-2013, 08:47 PM
having had to sit through 3 years worth of "parents weekend" festivities when my sibling was a student there, I now consider the whole place permanently impassable :)

anyway

safe travels for the team....maybe they should consider taking a boat.

Something like this perhaps:

3169:

uh_no
02-09-2013, 09:14 PM
Something like this perhaps:

3169:

With coach K at the helm.....holding the captain morgan pose

throatybeard
02-09-2013, 11:05 PM
Friday, 9:15 AM

Saturday, 2:14 AM

So the team is definitely still in North Carolina. Got it.

Saturday, 2:11 PM

Duke MBB official Twitter feed just announced that the team won't be traveling to Boston until tomorrow morning.

https://twitter.com/intent/user?screen_name=Duke_MBB

As I was saying...

Durham Thunder
02-09-2013, 11:18 PM
Last year Purdue played at Michigan State with these exact circumstances. They were tired from traveling the morning of the game, and got plowed. But that was at a much tougher place to play against a much better team than BC. Still....I don't know how early they're getting up to go for this.

Jim3k
02-10-2013, 02:31 AM
Boston Globe reports that Logan is open (http://www.boston.com/metrodesk/2013/02/09/logan-reopens-after-lengthy-closure-for-snow/l084kyoT6sGux475kt7Y7O/story.html) and expecting the Denver Nuggets charter to arrive for a Sunday evening game with the Celtics.

So if the Nuggets get in Saturday night or early Sunday, the Devils should make it as well, leaving early Sunday.

jtheall
02-10-2013, 12:12 PM
Hey guys,

I've been peeping the EK for about 8 months now (since the Amile Jefferson recruiting saga), but this is my first official post.

Per Josh Hairston and Todd Zafirovski's Instagram accounts, it appears the team has landed in Boston. If you have an Instagram account and aren't following some of our current / former players, I'd definitely recommend it. Like DBP post-game interviews, its another cool way to get to know some of our guys. Obviously some are more active than others, but along with Hairston and Zafirovski are Rasheed, Mason, Tyler, Seth, Ryan, Amile, Alex, Quinn, Rodney, Nolan, Kyrie, Dahntay, Austin, and even Jose Fonseca (trainer) and some other trainers.

Cheers!

-theall-

timmy c
02-10-2013, 12:25 PM
Hey guys,

I've been peeping the EK for about 8 months now (since the Amile Jefferson recruiting saga), but this is my first official post.

Per Josh Hairston and Todd Zafirovski's Instagram accounts, it appears the team has landed in Boston. If you have an Instagram account and aren't following some of our current / former players, I'd definitely recommend it. Like DBP post-game interviews, its another cool way to get to know some of our guys. Obviously some are more active than others, but along with Hairston and Zafirovski are Rasheed, Mason, Tyler, Seth, Ryan, Amile, Alex, Quinn, Rodney, Nolan, Kyrie, Dahntay, Austin, and even Jose Fonseca (trainer) and some other trainers.

Cheers!

-theall-

Welcome to the DBR (EK). Thanks for the update.

WakeDevil
02-10-2013, 12:47 PM
I'd rather spend my time reading something worthwhile.

juise
02-10-2013, 01:47 PM
Welcome to the DBR (EK). Thanks for the update.

Agreed. Thanks for the information. I'm glad to know the team made it safely.