PDA

View Full Version : One more to the rafters - RIP Niko Harlan

CDu
02-06-2013, 10:13 AM
Hi everyone. Yesterday in the early morning, Niko Harlan ('01) passed away after an 11-year battle with brain cancer. Although I don't know if he ever posted, I know Niko was a regular lurker on DBR, and he was a fiercely loyal Duke basketball fan. For a brief time, he was part of the crew working at the scorer's table for men's and women's games.

Those who knew Niko knew him as a wonderful spirit, with an incredibly dry wit and sense of humor. He loved big gatherings of his friends, and he LOVED Duke basketball. Even in his last days when he was too weak to leave his bed, he asked me about how the team was doing.

I don't know how many folks on DBR are from the '01 (ish) era or knew Niko from some other avenue. But I just wanted to pass the word on to any here that knew Niko and had yet to hear the news. He will be missed.

blazindw
02-06-2013, 12:48 PM
I was in Mirecourt and Niko, though a member of Beta, was a proud friend of the house. And he sure was a great friend. I had kept tabs with his fight over the years, and it was sad to wake up to the bad news yesterday morning. He was one funny dude and went out of his way to make sure you were having a good time. He's certainly gonna be missed by me as well as anyone who had the privilege of calling him a friend.

Rest easy, Niko. While we're sad you're no longer with us, we will cherish the great times we had and through those memories, you will live forever.

nmduke2001
02-06-2013, 05:16 PM
Thanks for posting CDu. I know how close you were to Niko. He certainly loved Duke Basketball. He will be missed.

I don't know how involved the scorer's table staff is to the program but maybe they could do a moment of silence for him before the next game.

throatybeard
02-06-2013, 06:42 PM
Someone in my class (1998) also died from brain cancer IIRC, and not very long after graduation. I want to say she had a column in the Chronicle and her name was Jessica...I'm trying to remember.

moonpie23
02-06-2013, 07:29 PM
sad news......sorry to hear that...