PDA

View Full Version : "The Cloud"

moonpie23
02-06-2013, 08:13 AM
seeing the other threads re: computing, so i thought i'd ask.

how many of you have gone to the "cloud" for all your back-up needs? hard drives are certainly subject to failure, but the cloud can lose your data just as easily and simply "apologize" from the liability standpoint, no?

I'm a back up freak....i make 2 backups of everything to two separate drives.

Native
02-06-2013, 10:09 AM
seeing the other threads re: computing, so i thought i'd ask.

how many of you have gone to the "cloud" for all your back-up needs? hard drives are certainly subject to failure, but the cloud can lose your data just as easily and simply "apologize" from the liability standpoint, no?

I'm a back up freak....i make 2 backups of everything to two separate drives.

Heck, I use it for basic storage. I upgraded to Dropbox Pro and use it to synchronize files for my courses at Duke over multiple devices, including a desktop, laptop, and tablet. I also use it to sync my collection of mix tapes and b-sides — basically anything not available on Spotify — using iTunes. I've been thinking of moving to NAS but for now Dropbox has suited my needs well.

I think hard drives have a worse track record WRT crashes than Dropbox, too. I back up all of my stuff to a 1TB Western Digital as a precaution but I don't foresee any problems in the immediate future. *Knocks on wood*

Matches
02-08-2013, 12:53 PM
Not all needs, but I use Evernote a good bit for both business and personal items. Very useful for syncing my documents among my various devices.

Even for something as simple as a grocery list, I can type it on my laptop and pull it up on my phone while I'm in the store.

I've been using Evernote for a couple of years with no security or other problems.