PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Arkansas 80, #2 Florida 69

moonpie23
02-05-2013, 08:19 PM
Florida getting boat-raced at Arkansas.........49-28 early in second half.....

ChillinDuke
02-05-2013, 08:30 PM
Florida getting boat-raced at Arkansas.........49-28 early in second half.....

Down 17 with under 14 to play.

- Chillin

moonpie23
02-05-2013, 08:43 PM
67-40 with 9:05

dukelifer
02-05-2013, 08:50 PM
67-40 with 9:05

Getting crushed- very strange unless folks are under the weather.

FerryFor50
02-05-2013, 08:54 PM
Getting crushed- very strange unless folks are under the weather.

Or Florida isn't as good as advertised... or it's just one of "those" games.

tbyers11
02-05-2013, 08:57 PM

Or both. IMO, mostly one of those games with a dash of UF is not the juggernaut that some had made them out be as they beat up on The Little Sisters of the Poor in the SEC.

roywhite
02-05-2013, 08:58 PM

Florida is having a taste of what we had vs Miami.

They are stunned and playing poorly vs a hungry, talented home team.

FerryFor50
02-05-2013, 08:59 PM
Or both. IMO, mostly one of those games with a dash of UF is not the juggernaut that some had made them out be as they beat up on The Little Sisters of the Poor in the SEC.

Yea, agreed. Though they *did* beat Arizona. However, I also think Zona isn't that good... a lot of parity in the NCAA this year.

moonpie23
02-05-2013, 09:04 PM
barring something unusual, they will lose this game....1:35 left...they are down 14..

it happens...

Wander
02-05-2013, 10:53 PM
Though they *did* beat Arizona.

They did?

FerryFor50
02-05-2013, 10:59 PM
They did?

Crap. Read the score wrong. :)

1 24 90
02-05-2013, 11:30 PM
Keep in mind that Florida's experience in the tourney is blowing their last 2 elite 8 games to Butler and Louisville. Maybe they got their choke out of their system at Arizona this year. We'll see.

Cameron
02-06-2013, 03:12 PM
Last night's game at Arkansas can be chalked up as a simple irregularity. The Razorbacks are notoriously tough at Bud Walton Arena. This year they've won 11 straight there and took Syracuse to the brink earlier in the year, losing by single digits. For those saying that Florida's loss is sign of them being overrated, please remember us getting our ***es handed to us at Miami. Even sans Ryan, it was thoroughly embarrassing.

The Gators will have the last laugh in the tournament. I firmly believe they will be playing in Atlanta. They've knocked on the door the last two years in consecutive runs to the Elite Eight. This is the year they break through. They are talented, loaded with shooters, experienced and stout defensively, especially on the perimeter. That mix goes a long way in March.

The way they played back in December at Arizona was just remarkable. They had handcuffs on the Wildcats' backcourt for 38 minutes, and Arizona has a superb backcourt led by veteran Mark Lyons. Florida dominated that game. That is until highly questionable officiating turned the game upside down in the final 90 seconds, evaporating a double-digit lead in a matter of a minute and a half. Arizona doesn't tell you about that, though, when you sign to play there. They leave that tiny tidbit out of the contract.

sporthenry
02-06-2013, 03:25 PM
Crap. Read the score wrong. :)

I still think you are right though with your original statement. I thought the asterisk was for the fact that they blew the game but they deserved to win at Arizona which is still an impressive win against a top 10 team on the road. Florida is a good team and wouldn't really want to see them across from us in the brackets.

sporthenry
02-06-2013, 03:31 PM
That is until highly questionable officiating turned the game upside down in the final 90 seconds, evaporating a double-digit lead in a matter of a minute and a half. Arizona doesn't tell you about that, though, when you sign to play there. They leave that tiny tidbit out of the contract.

Huh? I went back and re-watched the last minute b/c I thought I misremembered how it went down. Up 6 with the ball, Florida proceeded to turn the ball over 3 times without even getting to the half court line. Then missed the front end of a 1 and 1 and lost by 1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sx_TwEachE

For anyone who didn't see the game. I don't think you can really blame the refs when you can't even inbound a ball without issue.

Cameron
02-06-2013, 03:35 PM
Huh? I went back and re-watched the last minute b/c I thought I misremembered how it went down. Up 6 with the ball, Florida proceeded to turn the ball over 3 times without even getting to the half court line. Then missed the front end of a 1 and 1 and lost by 1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sx_TwEachE

For anyone who didn't see the game. I don't think you can really blame the refs when you can't even inbound a ball without issue.

It's been two months since that game, but IIRC the questionable calls came up when Florida was still up 10 or so late. I distinctly remember that game shaking out in that fashion and reading a lot of talk about it on various boards afterward.

That wasn't the larger point of my post, though. Florida is a legitimate national title contender. Sleep on them, and you will get burned in March. I don't want Duke playing them at all.

sporthenry
02-06-2013, 03:44 PM
It's been two months since that game, but IIRC the questionable calls came up when Florida was still up 10 or so late. I distinctly remember that game shaking out in that fashion and reading a lot of talk about it on various boards afterward.

That wasn't the larger point of my post, though. Florida is a legitimate national title contender. Sleep on them, and you will get burned in March. I don't want Duke playing them at all.

I just checked the box score, last time Florida was up 10 was with 9:30 left. They were up 3 with 3 minutes left, hit a 3 to go up 6 and neither team scored from 2:44 to that basket in the video with :56 seconds left.

I do think there were a few questionable calls against Florida earlier in the game that perhaps allowed UA to cut the lead to 3 over the last 10 minutes but the last 90 seconds/60 seconds was just a complete meltdown by UF.

I do agree that they are a dangerous team and wouldn't really want to see them in the tourney though. Although wouldn't really want to see most of the top 10-15 teams. I'd probably prefer Gonzaga or UA as a 2 seed currently in Lunardi's bracket but Miami might be the scariest 2 seed although also the most likely to lose early.

Cameron
02-06-2013, 03:56 PM
I just checked the box score, last time Florida was up 10 was with 9:30 left. They were up 3 with 3 minutes left, hit a 3 to go up 6 and neither team scored from 2:44 to that basket in the video with :56 seconds left.

I do think there were a few questionable calls against Florida earlier in the game that perhaps allowed UA to cut the lead to 3 over the last 10 minutes but the last 90 seconds/60 seconds was just a complete meltdown by UF.

I do agree that they are a dangerous team and wouldn't really want to see them in the tourney though. Although wouldn't really want to see most of the top 10-15 teams. I'd probably prefer Gonzaga or UA as a 2 seed currently in Lunardi's bracket but Miami might be the scariest 2 seed although also the most likely to lose early.

Good point. As I said, my memory of that game and when specific things occurred during it is very hazy. I'd argue that the questionable calls that may have happened midway through the second half that allowed Arizona to even get back into the game, after Florida had dominated the Wildcats throughout, led to that Gator meltdown. That, of course, falls on Florida, but it's certainly not unheard of for a team to get shaken up when such events happen on the road in a hostile environment such as the McKale Center. McKale is one of the more intimidating places to play due to the "home cooking" that is perceived to have gone on there over the years.

Billy Dat
02-06-2013, 04:11 PM
Even after last night, Florida is #1 on kenpom with the #1 rated D and #3 rated O. Up until last night, they were threatening to have the highest ever recorded kenpom pythagorean calculation. I agree that they are for real.