PDA

View Full Version : Hairston questionable for the State game?!

94duke
02-05-2013, 04:45 PM
from Stephen Wiseman (Herald-Sun)

https://twitter.com/stevewisemanNC/status/298903435917549568

Josh Hairston not practicing today due to infection in right arm. Suffered cut in Wake game. Arm is in sling. Status for NC State uncertain.

OldPhiKap
02-05-2013, 04:56 PM
from Stephen Wiseman (Herald-Sun)

https://twitter.com/stevewisemanNC/status/298903435917549568

If he cannot play, I hope Amile puts on about 40 pounds of muscle by Thursday.

And Murphy locks down on defense.

gam7
02-05-2013, 05:12 PM
If he cannot play, I hope Amile puts on about 40 pounds of muscle by Thursday.

And Murphy locks down on defense.

Not sure what sort of cut led to the infection, but these types of infections can be very, very serious. David Lee missed most of an NBA season a couple of years ago after he got a nasty infection in his arm when his arm was punctured by Wilson Chandler's tooth during a game - they found a piece of a tooth impaling his arm (presumably a piece that was no longer connected to Wilson Chandler's body) later after the game. Doctors tried to clean it out multiple times but couldn't get rid of it. Hopefully it's nothing like that.

OZZIE4DUKE
02-05-2013, 05:19 PM
Healing vibes to Josh, but if he's out, I'm sure hoping Alex takes advantage of the extra minutes!

DukeHoo
02-05-2013, 06:46 PM
We just seem to be snakebitten this year...hope Hairston gets over this infection soon.

dukelifer
02-05-2013, 07:38 PM
We just seem to be snakebitten this year...hope Hairston gets over this infection soon.

Duke's front line was going to be challenged in this game. Hairston takes charges as good as anyone and played well against State. This will make a tough game even tougher

sagegrouse
02-05-2013, 08:07 PM

Maybe antivenom medicine? In fact, let's inoculate everyone.

sagegrouse

Newton_14
02-05-2013, 08:35 PM
And the hits just keeps coming. Our thin team just got thinner and our post defense weakens evern more. On the bright side for the haters, you want have to watch Josh attempt the 15 foot jumper.

Marshall and Alex will have to step up and play better. It will be imperative too, that Amile stay out of foul trouble and be able to stay on the floor 30+ minutes. It also means Mason will need to go practically the full forty. We cannot play a front line of MP3/Amile, MP3/Murphy, or Amile/Murphy, for more than a couple of minutes against Howell/Leslie.

Hoping Josh heals up soon. Really need him to be able to go against NC State if at all possible. Certainly hope this does not turn into a long term deal like Ryan.

Regarding State's health, Brown was unable to practice yesterday. I wish the young man no ill will, but I would much rather play this game w/o Brown being able to go, than play it with Brown able to play heavy minutes.

FerryFor50
02-05-2013, 08:48 PM
And the hits just keeps coming. Our thin team just got thinner and our post defense weakens evern more. On the bright side for the haters, you want have to watch Josh attempt the 15 foot jumper.

Marshall and Alex will have to step up and play better. It will be imperative too, that Amile stay out of foul trouble and be able to stay on the floor 30+ minutes. It also means Mason will need to go practically the full forty. We cannot play a front line of MP3/Amile, MP3/Murphy, or Amile/Murphy, for more than a couple of minutes against Howell/Leslie.

Hoping Josh heals up soon. Really need him to be able to go against NC State if at all possible. Certainly hope this does not turn into a long term deal like Ryan.

Regarding State's health, Brown was unable to practice yesterday. I wish the young man no ill will, but I would much rather play this game w/o Brown being able to go, than play it with Brown able to play heavy minutes.

You know they're going to have Brown make some "miraculous" return to amp their team up like Miami did with Reggie Johnson.

chrishoke
02-05-2013, 09:38 PM
Daggumit.

azzefkram
02-05-2013, 10:25 PM
Isn't he questionable for every game?

*ducks*

Get better soon Josh.

Fish80
02-05-2013, 10:32 PM
Get well soon, Josh. Meantime, others got to step up. Mason can play 36 minutes. If josh can't go, we need to get 44 at least 44 good minutes from Amile, Marshall, and Alex.

Maybe we see a little bit of double Plumlee.

OldPhiKap
02-05-2013, 10:40 PM
Is this confirmed by a Duke source?

niveklaen
02-06-2013, 05:20 AM
Not sure what sort of cut led to the infection, but these types of infections can be very, very serious. David Lee missed most of an NBA season a couple of years ago after he got a nasty infection in his arm when his arm was punctured by Wilson Chandler's tooth during a game - they found a piece of a tooth impaling his arm (presumably a piece that was no longer connected to Wilson Chandler's body) later after the game. Doctors tried to clean it out multiple times but couldn't get rid of it. Hopefully it's nothing like that.

I am curious about the call on that play - is it a technical foul on the defensive player for biting the offensive player or on the offensive player for elbowing the defensive player in the head?

BlueDevilinNYC
02-06-2013, 09:03 AM

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/tag/_/name/katz-3-point-shot

"Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski said Tuesday night that forward Josh Hairston is doubtful to play against NC State on Thursday in Durham after he suffered an infection as a result of stitches put into his arm from a cut suffered in last week's victory at Wake Forest. Krzyzewski said Hairston will be wearing a sling Wednesday. "I'm not optimistic for this game and we'll see about Sunday against Boston College,'' said Krzyzewski. "That puts us down to eight guys.'"

roywhite
02-06-2013, 09:13 AM
Paging Mr. Murphy...Alex Murphy.
Also paging Mr. Plumlee...that's Mr. Marshall Plumlee.

Your presence is requested on the floor Thursday.

loran16
02-06-2013, 09:17 AM

Not to be confrontational or anything [/end disclaimer], but generally info from a Duke/ACC beat writer is going to be accurate regarding team news of this nature. No one is going to stake their professional reputation (they have some at the Herald Sun, i know, it's hard to believe) on false injury reports.

Philsfan
02-06-2013, 09:27 AM
Isn't he questionable for every game?

*ducks*

Get better soon Josh.

Love Joish as a teammate, etc., but can't say I miss him when he's not on the floor. If we're worried about his absence impacting the State outcome, we've got bigger issues.

Duvall
02-06-2013, 09:31 AM
Not to be confrontational or anything [/end disclaimer], but generally info from a Duke/ACC beat writer is going to be accurate regarding team news of this nature. No one is going to stake their professional reputation (they have some at the Herald Sun, i know, it's hard to believe) on false injury reports.

Beat writers, sure. But note that basketball pundits like Seth Davis are free to make things up even with injuries and call it a "feeling."

allenmurray
02-06-2013, 09:42 AM
Not sure what sort of cut led to the infection, but these types of infections can be very, very serious.

Absolutely. Gym floors and locker rooms are full of nasty bacteria. My own (14 yar old) son missed 4 weeks of his fall baseball league with a simple scrape gotten at school (ended up with MRSA and had to have IV antibiotics). His forearm swelled up like Popeye's.

DukieInBrasil
02-06-2013, 09:47 AM
same thing happened to me a few years ago. Arm swelled up and they put me on an IV drip of antibiotics, in the hospital for 3 days. Not fun.

MChambers
02-06-2013, 09:54 AM
I am curious about the call on that play - is it a technical foul on the defensive player for biting the offensive player or on the offensive player for elbowing the defensive player in the head?

Actually, they gave the technical to Daniel Ewing.

COYS
02-06-2013, 10:07 AM
This is bad news, indeed. I really hope the infection doesn't become something nasty, but as many other posters have already mentioned, these things can sometimes become pretty serious problems.

In the meantime, the spotlight will now be shining on Alex to step up. While it's possible we'll see a little bit of the Plumlee Towers lineup on the court at the same time, I would imagine that we will see Alex step into Josh's role as Amile's primary backup. We've all seen Alex's potential. He has made some excellent plays. His combination of size and skill can be an effective weapon. He just needs to cut down on the mental errors that have plagued him when he's been in games. With Amile's propensity to pick up fouls, I would be willing to bet that Alex will get double digit minutes as a minimum, so he will certainly have an ample amount of time to get into the flow of the game. When he was sent out there with nothing to lose (or gain, as far as the team's chances of winning went) against Miami, he had the best game of his short career. Let's hope he's the only guy on the team that plays exactly the same way against State as he did against Miami.

I am left wondering, like many of you, whether or not Marshall's role will increase or not. If Marshall had already established himself as a Mason-level collector of rebounds, I would be more inclined to see the two of them share the court and dominate the glass together. However, in his admittedly extremely limited minutes we haven't seen that yet, nor has he been consistent on his hedges and rotations (which will be essential against a State team that's pretty good off the dribble). Given that Alex has already shown a little bit more than Marshall so far this season and that Alex adds better mobility to chase CJ Leslie around, I am betting that Alex gets Josh's minutes and Marshall continues backing up his brother, primarily.

The final possibility is that we see a little bit of a four guard lineup. I think this is extremely unlikely. The only time we've seen lineups like this get much burn was in 08 and parts of 09. However, those lineups featured the strong and athletic Gerald Henderson and (in '08 when the four guard lineup was used the most), Demarcus Nelson. Rasheed is quick, but he doesn't have the strength or leaping ability of either of those guys. After that, Cook, Tyler, and Seth would all be given up so much height in their assignments that I find this lineup a little terrifying (for us, not for our opponents). Also, unlike in 2008 when those guard lineups gave us the most offensive punch, we don't really gain any offense by adding Tyler to our other guards.

CDu
02-06-2013, 10:44 AM
In the meantime, the spotlight will now be shining on Alex to step up. While it's possible we'll see a little bit of the Plumlee Towers lineup on the court at the same time, I would imagine that we will see Alex step into Josh's role as Amile's primary backup.

If Hairston can't play, I'd expect Murphy to be the primary backup to Jefferson with Marshall being the backup to Mason. We've already seen Murphy called upon to play PF in recent games when Hairston struggled, so my suspicion is that we'll see more of that if Hairston is out.

I think it'll be Jefferson for as many minutes as he can handle, with Murphy backing him up. If Murphy can't get the job done, then we'll turn to Marshall.

I agree that the 4-guard lineup isn't a likely alternative, as State is too big for that to be an effective approach.

The upside is that Murphy has the potential to provide much more offensively than Hairston. He's also more athletic than Hairston, so he may be better able to stay in front of Leslie (or Warren when Leslie is out) than Hairston. The downside is that he's not as strong as Hairston and might get pushed around on the boards.

davekay1971
02-06-2013, 10:44 AM
This is potential trouble, especially considering that Amile lasted 12 minutes last time out against Leslie. That involved a couple bad calls, but it also involved a freshman trying to guard an all-ACC caliber player (when Calvin plays, of course, not when CJ plays). If Amile gets into foul trouble again, it will be Alex trying to guard Leslie, and Alex is at a disadvantage in terms of strength and quickness. The other option is to move Mase over to guard Leslie, which could actually give Leslie fits...except then we'd have either Amile or Marshall trying to contain Howell, and Howell's too much of a load for either of those guys right now. If I were Gottfried, I'd be making the top line in the game plan "GET THE BALL TO CJ" to try to get Amile on the bench.

So, Amile, eat your wheaties, get ready to rumble with CJ all game, and try to stay out of foul trouble!

TWRX5284
02-06-2013, 11:00 AM
Absolutely. Gym floors and locker rooms are full of nasty bacteria. My own (14 yar old) son missed 4 weeks of his fall baseball league with a simple scrape gotten at school (ended up with MRSA and had to have IV antibiotics). His forearm swelled up like Popeye's.

In 2011 I suffered a cut to the bridge of my nose while playing pick up games at a camp I take students to. A few days later it seemed infected and spread to my chin, and it looked like Popeyes chicken as well. Doc diagnosed me with impetigo. Took me a couple months for it to clear up completely.

Bob Green
02-06-2013, 11:12 AM
This is bad news, indeed. I really hope the infection doesn't become something nasty, but as many other posters have already mentioned, these things can sometimes become pretty serious problems.

Josh's health must be priority #1. Infections are not something to take lightly. I'm sure the staff will not.

I am left wondering, like many of you, whether or not Marshall's role will increase or not. If Marshall had already established himself as a Mason-level collector of rebounds, I would be more inclined to see the two of them share the court and dominate the glass together. However, in his admittedly extremely limited minutes we haven't seen that yet, nor has he been consistent on his hedges and rotations (which will be essential against a State team that's pretty good off the dribble). Given that Alex has already shown a little bit more than Marshall so far this season and that Alex adds better mobility to chase CJ Leslie around, I am betting that Alex gets Josh's minutes and Marshall continues backing up his brother, primarily.

I'm thinking we will see more Marshall. Being pressed into service might be just what he needs. Mainly, he needs to become more comfortable on the court. This is especially true on offense. We need size to counter Howell. I expect we will see Mason-Jefferson, Marshall-Jefferson and Marshall-Mason combinations. The key will be avoiding foul trouble so all three combinations remain available.

Alex Murphy is a true small forward so I can't see how he will be able to step in and contribute in a traditional power forward role. His minutes as the second "big" will be limited to end of game situation when Coach K desires a fourth ball handler on the court.

loran16
02-06-2013, 11:18 AM
Josh's health must be priority #1. Infections are not something to take lightly. I'm sure the staff will not.

I'm thinking we will see more Marshall. Being pressed into service might be just what he needs. Mainly, he needs to become more comfortable on the court. This is especially true on offense. We need size to counter Howell. I expect we will see Mason-Jefferson, Marshall-Jefferson and Marshall-Mason combinations. The key will be avoiding foul trouble so all three combinations remain available.

Alex Murphy is a true small forward so I can't see how he will be able to step in and contribute in a traditional power forward role. His minutes as the second "big" will be limited to end of game situation when Coach K desires a fourth ball handler on the court.

Agreed. Murphy has seen more minutes recently and I expect that to continue, but a lot of that was in the occasional no Mason lineup (Murphy-Amile-Josh) to compensate for lack of size. I expect Marshall will get the most benefit from this.

superdave
02-06-2013, 11:23 AM

At the end of the day, these are regular season games tomorrow and this weekend. We can and should win, but we should keep some perspective.

Also, if Alex and Marshall play more minutes (and important minutes) now, they will be more seasoned come March.

We are going to be fine. We have time to get healthy and time to play our way into a rhythm again.

I do hope Josh heals quickly and this does not escalate for him.

subzero02
02-06-2013, 11:30 AM
Containing cj leslie just got that much harder... We need Josh back asap...

noworries
02-06-2013, 11:38 AM
So K said that Ryan isn't doing anything weight bearing? Doesn't seem like a good sign

CDu
02-06-2013, 11:38 AM
Agreed. Murphy has seen more minutes recently and I expect that to continue, but a lot of that was in the occasional no Mason lineup (Murphy-Amile-Josh) to compensate for lack of size. I expect Marshall will get the most benefit from this.

Actually, some of Murphy's minutes lately have come at PF (backing up Jefferson when Hairston was struggling).

DukeDevilDeb
02-06-2013, 12:25 PM
Take it from someone who knows (in this case!). Josh will not play against State. The infection is quite serious, and it takes antibiotics some time to kick in.

Our coaches and Jose are too smart to put him back when he isn't close to healed. In truth, I think it is very likely he will not play at BC either. This is really unfortunate for Josh and for the team as a whole. But this is also great motivation for the entire team to step up, for Amile to avoid some of the cheap fouls that were called during the last Duke-State game, and for Alex to play instinctively.

This too shall pass.

vick
02-08-2013, 01:15 AM
Apparently Josh had "an operation," but K says he might play Sunday, according to Laura Keeley (https://twitter.com/laurakeeley/status/299737996679331840).