PDA

View Full Version : Why all the foot injuries?

porkpa
02-05-2013, 06:43 AM
This might be stupid or maybe even not accurate because of the high profile status of injuries to guys like Kyrie Irving and Ryan Kelly. Nevertheless it just seems to me that over the years we have had an inordinate number of foot injuries. Given that Duke has one of the finest medicine facilities in the country, if not the world. I wonder if there have been any studies made as to why(if at all) we have had so many foot injuries? Is it possible that things such as our sneakers, way of playing, practicing, etc. have led to a predisposition to these type of injuries? Just the musings of a mind with not enough to do.

Bluealum
02-05-2013, 08:31 AM
This might be stupid or maybe even not accurate because of the high profile status of injuries to guys like Kyrie Irving and Ryan Kelly. Nevertheless it just seems to me that over the years we have had an inordinate number of foot injuries. Given that Duke has one of the finest medicine facilities in the country, if not the world. I wonder if there have been any studies made as to why(if at all) we have had so many foot injuries? Is it possible that things such as our sneakers, way of playing, practicing, etc. have led to a predisposition to these type of injuries? Just the musings of a mind with not enough to do.

There are a lot of threads with speculation as to the reasons for this (and plenty of counterpoints). Search for greybeard as an author example, or look in the Ryan Kelly foot vigil thread... No sense rehashing those all over again...unless there is something new to add.

davekay1971
02-05-2013, 08:32 AM

Check the RK vigil thread for all sorts of theories on this very subject. I still say Phil Knight is inflicting injury-inducing basketball shoes on us as revenge for Kyle Singler coming to Duke rather then staying home and playing for Oregon.

Indoor66
02-05-2013, 12:12 PM
Check the RK vigil thread for all sorts of theories on this very subject. I still say Phil Knight is inflicting injury-inducing basketball shoes on us as revenge for Kyle Singler coming to Duke rather then staying home and playing for Oregon.

All I can say is BUCKETS.

Fish80
02-05-2013, 12:54 PM
I posted a link to some stats in the RK thread. Lower extremity injuries in men's college basketball have a frequency of about 5 to 10 per 1,000 hours. Roughly, a season is 20 weeks times 25 hours per week, or 500 hours. So you expect, on average, 2.5 to 5 injuries per season per player. Extraordinarily high. We are significantly below the statistical average.

Class of '94
02-05-2013, 01:08 PM
I have to admit that I'm worried about Jabari having further foot injuries when you consider Duke's recent history and the fact that he will be coming into Duke already having to go through a foot problem. I just hope JP doesn't experience any other setbacks.

Fish80
02-05-2013, 01:13 PM
I posted a link to some stats in the RK thread. Lower extremity injuries in men's college basketball have a frequency of about 5 to 10 per 1,000 hours. Roughly, a season is 20 weeks times 25 hours per week, or 500 hours. So you expect, on average, 2.5 to 5 injuries per season per player. Extraordinarily high. We are significantly below the statistical average.

Sorry for quoting myself. Too much time passed for editing. I went back to the data. The overall rate of injury is 5 to 10 per 1000 exposure hours. About 60 percent of those are lower extremity. So about 1 to 3 lower extremity injuries per season per player. I still suggest we're significantly below the statistical average.

greybeard
02-05-2013, 05:30 PM
Sorry for quoting myself. Too much time passed for editing. I went back to the data. The overall rate of injury is 5 to 10 per 1000 exposure hours. About 60 percent of those are lower extremity. So about 1 to 3 lower extremity injuries per season per player. I still suggest we're significantly below the statistical average.

Does the number include "normal" ankle sprains, including those of the low ankle and the more serios high ankle variety, if that information is available? At Duke, the foot/ankle injuries we are talking about are hairline fractures, more significant breaks, and serious ligament tears in, I don't know, 7 or 9 years, give or take. That would probably make a significant difference. My posts re: injuries in the RK thread have been taken down (off topic) so you'll have to look to postings on other threads (I should think you will find no dirth; injury in sport has been an issue of mine way before I found this Board. I began writing on the subject in 1984).

-jk
02-05-2013, 05:56 PM
If you search on pubmed (google basketball and injuries with "site:NIH.gov") you can find tons of (rather depressing) stuff.

-jk

elvis14
02-05-2013, 07:36 PM
I could swear I read this same thread 10 years ago :(

Fish80
02-05-2013, 08:01 PM
I think the stats include all lower extremity injuries, knee, high ankle, low ankle, big toe, etc.