PDA

View Full Version : Using Slingbox

Devildog
02-04-2013, 05:11 PM
Anyone have experience using a slingbox with Time Warner Cable to watch TV on an iPad? Does it work using 3G?

-jk
02-04-2013, 08:11 PM
As long as your 3G isn't too crowded, it works fine. If you have network congestion, it'll be ugly.

Where I live, 3G won't do decent video (even with 5/5 bars), but a couple miles away, it streams fine (with 3/5 bars). As they say: your mileage may vary.

-jk

cf-62
02-04-2013, 10:21 PM
Why not just watch things with the Time Warner app?

I have a slingbox - have never been too impressed with it.

OZZIE4DUKE
02-05-2013, 09:34 AM
Our friend Deslok has lived in the far east for many years, and has followed Duke basketball on a slingbox located in his parents' NJ home. He's probably our best expert on the thing! :cool:

moonpie23
02-05-2013, 05:29 PM
i have slingbox and it works well enough at 3g.....the real secret is not so much your 3g download, rather your upload at home. If you're uploading with anything less that 1mbps, you can expect sketchy video. If you've got a good upload (i've got 5mbps) and and a pretty good 3g coverage.....the picture should be pretty good...

one hint, use the SQ (standard quality) selection instead of the HQ if you're stuck on 3g....

since slingbox is about the most amazing invention in, say, the last 20 years......enjoy it!!

Devildog
02-05-2013, 07:04 PM
[Thanks for the feedback!!
I]
i have slingbox and it works well enough at 3g.....the real secret is not so much your 3g download, rather your upload at home. If you're uploading with anything less that 1mbps, you can expect sketchy video. If you've got a good upload (i've got 5mbps) and and a pretty good 3g coverage.....the picture should be pretty good...

one hint, use the SQ (standard quality) selection instead of the HQ if you're stuck on 3g....

since slingbox is about the most amazing invention in, say, the last 20 years......enjoy it!!