moonpie23
02-04-2013, 08:32 AM
payback.......

pamtar
02-04-2013, 08:38 AM
Any word on Lorenzo Brown's status?

moonpie23
02-04-2013, 08:40 AM
he'll be "questionable" right up until he takes his warm ups off.....

davekay1971
02-04-2013, 08:56 AM
he'll be "questionable" right up until he takes his warm ups off.....

C'mon now...this is NC State, not UNC. The Tarheels are the kings of the dramatic surprise last-second recovery of their stars...and that's usually reserved for the Dean Dome, where the Tarheel crowd has such a nicely predictable Pavlovian response.

I'd expect Brown to play. From what I understand, his injury is basically an ankle sprain and Gottfried was looking at him as day-to-day before the Miami game. Assuming he's had some predictable improvement since the Miami game, he ought to be ready to go against us.

State's road woes have been even worse than ours. I'm sure they'll be absolutely motivated against us, and CJ Leslie seems to get particularly amped up to play Duke. Jefferson and Hairston will have their hands full with him. If Brown can't go, advantage Duke. Lewis had a nice game against Miami, but he's still an easier assignment for our guards than Brown.

There's no such thing as a must win game at this point of the season, but this is an important game for both teams. Duke needs to hold serve at home to keep in the hunt for a number 1 seed. State, if they lose, falls to 5-5 and the pressure starts building for them to just lock down an NCAA berth. Right now, their RPI is 20, so they're squarely in. But if they are 5-5 after this game and then continue the same pace, finishing 9-9 in conference play, they'd have to be considered a bubble team. Given their lofty preseason expectations, that would be disastrous.

(fwiw: after this game, State doesn't see Duke or Miami again and should be favored in all their remaining games...but they've been so inconsistent on the road you can't take any of their remaining four road games after the Duke game for granted)

MIKESJ73
02-04-2013, 09:59 AM
Did Tyler Lewis and Quinn both play at Oak Hill together or did Tyler only play there his senior year?

roywhite
02-04-2013, 10:09 AM
Did Tyler Lewis and Quinn both play at Oak Hill together or did Tyler only play there his senior year?

No overlap; Tyler played there 1 year, after being at Forsyth Country Day prior.

Tyler apparently now known as "Opie" to his teammates. That seems likely to catch on.

flyingdutchdevil
02-04-2013, 10:53 AM
No overlap; Tyler played there 1 year, after being at Forsyth Country Day prior.

Tyler apparently now known as "Opie" to his teammates. That seems likely to catch on.

I have never seen a more timid looking basketball player than Tyler Lewis against the Canes. I honestly wanted to drive to Raleigh, run on the court, give him a hug, and tell him "everything's going to be okay". I'm not sure if he was timid, but, by golly, he certainly looked it.

I'm not sure what to expect when he plays at Cameron for the first time on Thursday.

mgtr
02-04-2013, 11:10 AM
I have never seen a more timid looking basketball player than Tyler Lewis against the Canes. I honestly wanted to drive to Raleigh, run on the court, give him a hug, and tell him "everything's going to be okay". I'm not sure if he was timid, but, by golly, he certainly looked it.

I'm not sure what to expect when he plays at Cameron for the first time on Thursday.

I agree he looks timid, I thought of him sort of as a junior high player thrown into a game. But he played well in my book -- not at all like a junior high player. Maybe his appearance gives him a slight edge. And I love the Opie nickname.

jcastranio
02-04-2013, 11:37 AM
The Factors:

The revenge factor is always big - I am a firm believer.

We will come off a nice rest (good for Seth). yeah, I know that might enable Brown to play for State. I think Seth playing well and rested is the better trade-off.

Our lineup is solidified - Amile has worked in. It is not perfect, but it is tested.

Rasheed has been playing well and he had an awful game at State. He will certainly play better.

State will be playing hard and playing desperate. Unfortunately, the revenge factor trumps that (hey, I didn't make the rules, I just have to live by them). What are the keys?

Keep Howell off the offensive boards.
Keep Scott Wood from scoring 10 points on three shots.
Play Leslie differently on defense - we seemed to play into his hands last time.

On our end -

No foul trouble for Mason.
Solid performances from the starting five.
Bench play from Josh without the ill-advised shots and the turnovers. I realize that he will commit a foul on 90% of his screens. I guess he should just see what he can get away with (those State guys hate to get knocked over).
Solid shooting from the guards (doesn't have to "lights out"). If we take ten three pointers, hit four.
Swagger. We need the swagger back. I'd like to see the swagger even without Ryan.

A plus would be:
4-5 solid minutes for Alex and Marshall. They will get their chances and I would like to see them make the most of it.

In the first game, they had a marvelous performance from Wood, a better than average performance from Leslie, a great second half from Howell. We shot tentatively, were still working out our lineup, and had more unlucky bounces than should be allowed. I like our chances in the rematch.

Duke 83 NC State 75

dukelifer
02-04-2013, 01:18 PM

He looked timid but did not play that way. He had a pretty good game 16pts, 5 assists. Not sure I would have had him take that last shot but the kid can play.

CDu
02-04-2013, 02:09 PM
He looked timid but did not play that way. He had a pretty good game 16pts, 5 assists. Not sure I would have had him take that last shot but the kid can play.

Yeah, if anything, the Brown injury may turn out to be a blessing in disguise. Prior to the Miami game, Lewis had looked AWFUL in his limited minutes. The team simply couldn't function without Brown running the show. Now, Lewis has gained confidence that he can do it at the ACC level, and the team has confidence in him as well.

Obviously they're better with Brown, but they won't be quite as bad off as they were earlier whenever Brown is out.

moonpie23
02-04-2013, 02:16 PM
i'm not convinced about that.....he had a huge game against miami, but that was just one game......let's see what he's able to do for a few more games.....

roywhite
02-04-2013, 03:03 PM
i'm not convinced about that.....he had a huge game against miami, but that was just one game......let's see what he's able to do for a few more games.....

yeah, makes sense. No inside info, but I expect to see Lorenzo play vs us on Thursday, though Opie should get some key minutes. Unless he ticks off Aunt Bea.

Kedsy
02-04-2013, 03:21 PM
yeah, makes sense. No inside info, but I expect to see Lorenzo play vs us on Thursday, though Opie should get some key minutes. Unless he ticks off Aunt Bea.

Brown, at 6'5", causes a big matchup issue on both sides of the ball for Quinn (or Seth, depending on who he guards). "Opie," listed at 5'11" but probably not that tall, doesn't. That alone would lead me to believe Brown will get as many minutes as he can handle (though the question remains how many -- if any -- minutes that will be). In other words, I doubt they'll play Lewis very much if they have a choice.

CDu
02-04-2013, 03:34 PM
Brown, at 6'5", causes a big matchup issue on both sides of the ball for Quinn (or Seth, depending on who he guards). "Opie," listed at 5'11" but probably not that tall, doesn't. That alone would lead me to believe Brown will get as many minutes as he can handle (though the question remains how many -- if any -- minutes that will be). In other words, I doubt they'll play Lewis very much if they have a choice.

Oh, no doubt. If Brown is healthy, he'll play as much as he can play. My point was that, now that Lewis has gotten a game against a good team in which he played well, maybe the team won't completely go in the tank any time Brown has to leave the game.

But yes, as long as Brown is healthy and not in foul trouble, I'd be shocked if he was off the floor for more than a handful of minutes each game.

dukebballcamper90-91
02-04-2013, 04:21 PM
GTHS!!!!!!

moonpie23
02-04-2013, 04:30 PM
it's been a long time since the wuffies have been wuffing at us.......now, it's back.....

I'm hoping we have a good game thursday and send em home 1-1 with duke this year...

-jk
02-04-2013, 06:48 PM
it's been a long time since the wuffies have been wuffing at us.......now, it's back.....

I'm hoping we have a good game thursday and send em home 1-1 with duke this year...

I'm not sure what you're saying here, but last year in Cameron was a bit touch and go.

-jk

cptnflash
02-04-2013, 08:44 PM
State will be playing hard and playing desperate. Unfortunately, the revenge factor trumps that (hey, I didn't make the rules, I just have to live by them). What are the keys?

Keep Howell off the offensive boards.
Keep Scott Wood from scoring 10 points on three shots.
Play Leslie differently on defense - we seemed to play into his hands last time.

On our end -

No foul trouble for Mason.
Solid performances from the starting five.
Bench play from Josh without the ill-advised shots and the turnovers. I realize that he will commit a foul on 90% of his screens. I guess he should just see what he can get away with (those State guys hate to get knocked over).
Solid shooting from the guards (doesn't have to "lights out"). If we take ten three pointers, hit four.
Swagger. We need the swagger back. I'd like to see the swagger even without Ryan.

That's the key - we have to defend CJ Leslie better. Last game against us he posted an ORtg of 132, nearly 30% above his season average and by far his best game of the conference schedule so far (he's been sub-100 in 5 of their other 8 conference games). And I'm confident we will be better, for three reasons. First, our primary RK-replacements (Amile and Josh) have had a lot more time to learn their defensive responsibilities and adjust to their more prominant roles on the team (to say nothing of being extra motivated after he embarrassed them down in Raleigh). Second, this game is in Cameron, so the whistles should be a little more favorable for us (for example, I doubt we'll see Amile fouling out in only 12 minutes again). And third (and perhaps most importantly), CJ Leslie simply isn't anywhere near as good as he played against us last time. Simple regression to the mean should curtail his output fairly significantly.

Add those three up, and I think Duke wins easily if Brown doesn't play or is significantly limited by his injury, and maybe not-so-easily but still convincingly in the end if he's 100%.

mattmcbreen
02-04-2013, 08:52 PM
Yeah, if anything, the Brown injury may turn out to be a blessing in disguise. Prior to the Miami game, Lewis had looked AWFUL in his limited minutes. The team simply couldn't function without Brown running the show. Now, Lewis has gained confidence that he can do it at the ACC level, and the team has confidence in him as well.

Obviously they're better with Brown, but they won't be quite as bad off as they were earlier whenever Brown is out.

Give Lewis some time; Once he gets some experience with the first team he's going to be a real weapon. He's most likely a 4 year player, and having a point guard with that ability for four years a luxury that a lot of teams don't have. He just needs time to get some confidence and get used to the speed of the college game

Furniture
02-04-2013, 09:15 PM
We had such bad shooting luck at State and now we are At Cameron. There is only one possibility!
WIN!

Newton_14
02-04-2013, 09:24 PM
Give Lewis some time; Once he gets some experience with the first team he's going to be a real weapon. He's most likely a 4 year player, and having a point guard with that ability for four years a luxury that a lot of teams don't have. He just needs time to get some confidence and get used to the speed of the college game

I am not convinced yet. Lewis still struggles mightily to simply make the first pass in the set to get the offense started due to a lack of quickness. Short players compensate for their lack of height with superior quickness. Lewis is just not that quick. He played well against Miami, but I could see him having a very rough time in Cameron if he has to play extended minutes. Quinn will harass him with ball pressure, and then on the other side put an extreme amount of pressure on Lewis with his quickness with the ball and ability to penetrate.

Given that Quinn is likely to go 38+ minutes or even the full 40, it could be a long night for Lewis if Brown can't go.

That said, I expect Brown to go. He moved around fairly well Saturday during warmups, and given another 5 days of treatment I thnk he will be able to at least play some minutes.

It will be a tough game. We have to stop the transition game and force State to score in the halfcourt. Once in the halfcourt, we have to defend Leslie and Howell well, which is easier said that done. Both are great players. Amile and Josh will have to work like crazy to contain Leslie better than last time, and Mason has to win the battle agains Howell.

The perimeter guys cannot lose Wood, and give him easy looks. Make him work hard just to get a glimmer of an open window.

Offensively, we must establish Mason on the low block and keep pressure on Howell and Leslie to defend without fouling. If Mason is on his game, they cannot stop him, and he can get them in foul trouble.

Even with Brown, State is a very thin team bench wise. Getting their bigs in foul trouble will only expose that further.

davekay1971
02-04-2013, 09:45 PM
I agree with the general theme in this thread that Duke should have the advantage over State.

I'm assuming that Brown will be playing, and that he'll be at, or near, full speed. Therefore, our lineups will be about the same as they were in Raleigh.

One big difference, of course, will be venue. That's huge this year. Both Duke and State have been much better at home than on the road (though, hopefully, we're starting to see our road woes end). State's was actually pretty decent on their last road loss (Virginia) considering that they lost Brown 1/4 way into the game. But they still haven't been nearly the team away from the RBC this season. Change of venue from one team's home court to the other teams could account for a 15-20 point swing this season.

Another difference: Amile. He's gotten better since the State game. He's still going to have his hands full dealing with Leslie. A motivated, locked-in CJ Leslie is a beast, and CJ has been absolutely up for his games with us. But I think Amile will have better luck this time around...he won't shut down CJ, but he can (and I think will) do better defending him and staying out of foul trouble. CJ vs Amile/Josh...still give the edge to CJ. But chances are: less of an edge than it was in Raleigh.

Quinn vs Brown, Curry vs. Purvis, Rasheed vs. Wood, and Mason vs Howell are all great match ups, and I call those push, Duke, Duke, and Duke, especially in Cameron. Still, Purvis is a freak athlete who can get hot, Wood can hit from anywhere when he's on, Howell is an absolute man if he can stay on the court...so it ain't like it's a lock.

State's had a rough week with Brown out, they haven't been good on the road, and they're facing a Duke team that's growing quickly into it's RK-in-street-clothes identity. I like our chances to win this game. It's one of those games where, at best for State, it's going to be close with Leslie and Brown powering State to a down-to-the-wire win...at best for Duke, the wheels fall off and Duke runs away with a 15-20 point win.

Saratoga2
02-05-2013, 09:21 AM
That's the key - we have to defend CJ Leslie better. Last game against us he posted an ORtg of 132, nearly 30% above his season average and by far his best game of the conference schedule so far (he's been sub-100 in 5 of their other 8 conference games). And I'm confident we will be better, for three reasons. First, our primary RK-replacements (Amile and Josh) have had a lot more time to learn their defensive responsibilities and adjust to their more prominant roles on the team (to say nothing of being extra motivated after he embarrassed them down in Raleigh). Second, this game is in Cameron, so the whistles should be a little more favorable for us (for example, I doubt we'll see Amile fouling out in only 12 minutes again). And third (and perhaps most importantly), CJ Leslie simply isn't anywhere near as good as he played against us last time. Simple regression to the mean should curtail his output fairly significantly.

Add those three up, and I think Duke wins easily if Brown doesn't play or is significantly limited by his injury, and maybe not-so-easily but still convincingly in the end if he's 100%.

Mason hasn't challenged defensively and Leslie may be a little too much for Amile. I don't see Josh as being able to handle him, so it has to be Amile against Leslie and Mason probably playing soft defense for at least a half. If we also have a guard mismatch, I am concerned that we will struggle. On the plus side, Rasheed and Quinn have come a long ways since the last UNC game.

roywhite
02-05-2013, 06:21 PM
Via twitter from Laura Keeley

https://twitter.com/laurakeeley

#Duke's Josh Hairston not practicing today due to a right arm infection. Arm is in a sling. He cut it at Wake Forest.

davekay1971
02-05-2013, 06:23 PM
Via twitter from Laura Keeley

https://twitter.com/laurakeeley

#Duke's Josh Hairston not practicing today due to a right arm infection. Arm is in a sling. He cut it at Wake Forest.

Hmmm...Alex Murphy will likely get more minutes at the 4 backing up Amile, and we may even see some time with Plumbro twin towers, if Josh can't go.

DukieInBrasil
02-05-2013, 06:49 PM
Hmmm...Alex Murphy will likely get more minutes at the 4 backing up Amile, and we may even see some time with Plumbro twin towers, if Josh can't go.

we got a very brief glimpse of the MP-TT in the 1st game with NCSU near the end. Howell didnt do much in that time, but Leslie was going off. So, i'm not sure if that was a harbinger, an aberration or just a random event.

Alex will likely get more run, like you say, but he's gonna have to stop making all those really lame turnovers on O. He does some nice things on occasion, but stepping on the baseline driving (which he has done multiple times in very limited minutes) has just got to stop. I like the effort and the willingness to be aggressive on O, and he's (possibly) got a chance to show he's got what it takes to deserve longer stretches on the floor.

davekay1971
02-06-2013, 12:19 PM
Bump...

Can't let a pre-game thread for an important game slide to page 2, even if the Hairston Arm Vigil has taken over the pre-game thread!

We'll need a really good defensive game from Amile, but let's get it, beat State, and stay in the race for the completely meaningless unbalanced regular season conference number 1 crown thingy.

UrinalCake
02-06-2013, 01:00 PM
Our interior defense will be the key to winning this game. Against Maryland and Wake we could get away with having mason play soft inside in order to avoid fouls. But that won't work against state because their interior scorers are much, much better. I expect them to dump it inside and attack mason early and often. Without Josh we absolutely need Amile, Alex, and Marshall to step it up defensively. And mason CANNOT pick up any dumb fouls, especially on the offensive side.

I wonder if we'll try to slow things down in the first half in order to reduce the number if possessions and therefore the opportunities to pick up fouls. Kind of like in 2010 when we knew our top three guys were foing to be playing close to 40 minutes. Once we get to the second half then Mason can be more aggressive defensively. If Brown is out then that gives us a better chance of being able to simple out score them from the perimeter, but this will be a tough game no matter what. Glad it's at home.

jv001
02-06-2013, 01:31 PM
It's time for Alex and Amile to step up with good on the ball defense. Josh was not going to handle Leslie even if he's healthy. We can't let him beat his man off the dribble and get into the lane. That's asking for foul trouble for Mason. With MP2 and MP3 in the lineup together, we may see Rasheed on Leslie. If that happens, Amile, Mason and Marshall will need to hold their own on the boards. I think we could do that, even though Leslie will have the advantage against Rasheed. It's very very important to hit some early 3s and get the confidence going. GoDuke!

Kedsy
02-06-2013, 02:15 PM
It's time for Alex and Amile to step up with good on the ball defense. Josh was not going to handle Leslie even if he's healthy. We can't let him beat his man off the dribble and get into the lane. That's asking for foul trouble for Mason. With MP2 and MP3 in the lineup together, we may see Rasheed on Leslie. If that happens, Amile, Mason and Marshall will need to hold their own on the boards. I think we could do that, even though Leslie will have the advantage against Rasheed. It's very very important to hit some early 3s and get the confidence going. GoDuke!

I'm confused. If Rasheed guards Leslie, who would MP3 guard?

Your next sentence confuses me, too. Do you envision Amile, Mason, and Marshall ever being on the court at the same time?

I assume I'm misreading your post, but I can't figure out what you really mean.

devildeac
02-06-2013, 02:18 PM
As of this AM according to the Raleigh N&O, Brown was still hobbling and not likely to play.

roywhite
02-06-2013, 02:24 PM
As of this AM according to the Raleigh N&O, Brown was still hobbling and not likely to play.

Phil "Lazarus" Ford was described in far worse terms leading up to games vs Duke, and managed to play quite well.

You don't suppose Gottfried could channel El-Deano? Naah...it's probably not a Raleigh thing.

devildeac
02-06-2013, 02:34 PM
Phil "Lazarus" Ford was described in far worse terms leading up to games vs Duke, and managed to play quite well.

You don't suppose Gottfried could channel El-Deano? Naah...it's probably not a Raleigh thing.

I guess if he did any chatting with Jim Larranaga, it's possible he could return earlier than anticipated:rolleyes:.

jipops
02-06-2013, 02:58 PM
It's almost looking like the biggest challenge for this game is finding 10 guys that can suit up.

State is actually starting to get closer to the bubble conversation. Fortunately for them there aren't any rough road games left after Thursday with the exception of UNC. If they win tomorrow night the conversation doesn't happen, if they don't then it is certainly possible.

I'm still not convinced our road woes are over - with or without Kelly. There are some potential road bumps looming - @Maryland, @UVA, @VPI, & @UNC - all tougher road opponents than Wake and FSU. To me this makes Thursday's game at home that much more important.

I believe Howell and Leslie are going to get theirs. They have some big match up advantages there and Mason can't afford risking the fouls. What is most important is keeping Mason out of foul trouble so he can stay on the floor as long as possible and not give up any open looks from the perimeter. I don't think K is going to have much of choice but give Marshall some major minutes. Hopefully he can get us a few stops and boards, that's all we need. I'm not too worried about our offense since State's defense has been so horrible all year (though I probably just jinxed that). Rasheed needs to keep his good streak going and give us a far better performance than he did in the PNC.

CDu
02-06-2013, 03:07 PM
It's almost looking like the biggest challenge for this game is finding 10 guys that can suit up.

State is actually starting to get closer to the bubble conversation. Fortunately for them there aren't any rough road games left after Thursday with the exception of UNC. If they win tomorrow night the conversation doesn't happen, if they don't then it is certainly possible.

Yeah, I don't think State is really in danger of getting on the bubble unless they implode. They are 19th in the RPI and 20th in Pomeroy. They are 4-3 against the RPI top-50. They have just the one bad loss (Wake), and have not lost to a team outside of the top-50 at home. They have 4 fairly easy home games left, and only the Duke and UNC games on the road are really scary.

I'm still not convinced our road woes are over - with or without Kelly. There are some potential road bumps looming - @Maryland, @UVA, @VPI, & @UNC - all tougher road opponents than Wake and FSU. To me this makes Thursday's game at home that much more important.

I disagree with the bolded part. With Kelly, I don't think any of those teams can touch us. Without him? Things get dicier.

Duvall
02-06-2013, 03:14 PM

I wouldn't exactly call @VPI a looming road bump - Virginia Tech is considerably worse than Florida State, and the Seminoles are far from good. And while we shouldn't expect Duke's trips to Maryland, Virginia and UNC to be easy, those teams are squarely on the bubble for a reason.

tommy
02-06-2013, 04:37 PM
I wonder if we'll try to slow things down in the first half in order to reduce the number if possessions and therefore the opportunities to pick up fouls. Kind of like in 2010 when we knew our top three guys were foing to be playing close to 40 minutes.

I think we may try the opposite, especially if Brown is out. State has basically been playing 7 guys, and if Brown is out, they're down to 6. Lewis would be the only point, with Purvis, who is used to playing that position at all, having to handle the point when Lewis sits. I think we should push the pace, and have Quinn in particular force the issue with Lewis. Tire him out and/or get him in foul trouble, and State will have problems. So while yes, without Josh we're thin, I think State is even thinner without Brown. If I'm right, more possessions may work to our advantage, including giving Mason the chance to make Howell work on D and perhaps pick up some fouls.

jv001
02-06-2013, 06:32 PM
I'm confused. If Rasheed guards Leslie, who would MP3 guard?

Your next sentence confuses me, too. Do you envision Amile, Mason, and Marshall ever being on the court at the same time?

I assume I'm misreading your post, but I can't figure out what you really mean.

My post was not very well put. If MP2 and MP3 play together, Amile will almost certainly not be in that lineup. Unless State went big and they won't because they have a limited bench. My point is that Alex and Amile need to play better on the ball defense. We need a wing that can play players like Leslie. We had this same problem last year in that we're missing the Grant, Lance, Lang type players that can defend players like Leslie. Sorry for the confusing post. GoDuke!

Newton_14
02-06-2013, 08:15 PM
I think we may try the opposite, especially if Brown is out. State has basically been playing 7 guys, and if Brown is out, they're down to 6. Lewis would be the only point, with Purvis, who is used to playing that position at all, having to handle the point when Lewis sits. I think we should push the pace, and have Quinn in particular force the issue with Lewis. Tire him out and/or get him in foul trouble, and State will have problems. So while yes, without Josh we're thin, I think State is even thinner without Brown. If I'm right, more possessions may work to our advantage, including giving Mason the chance to make Howell work on D and perhaps pick up some fouls.

Agree. Harass the heck out of Lewis when he has the ball and turn Quinn into a jet when we have the ball. Even though State prefers to play fast, Brown is the engine that makes their transition go. W/o him, Purvis can't cherry pick as there is no 6'6 PG to hit him with the over the top pass. We need an up an down game if they do not have Brown.

I say the kid needs to rest for at least one more game! :)

toughbuff1
02-06-2013, 09:02 PM
Does anyone have a link to a live stream of the game? They are showing the stupid Maryland game up here in Baltimore and I didn't see it on ESPN3.

Never mind I'm an idiot the game is tomorrow.

CDu
02-07-2013, 10:36 AM
With or without Brown, I'd expect State to want to push tempo. Lewis had a good game against Miami, but I still feel he's more comfortable in transition than in the half court against a good defensive team. More importantly, Purvis, Warren, and Wood are more effective in transition than in the half court.

As such, I'd think we'd be better suited to keep this a half-court game, regardless of whether Brown plays. If Brown doesn't play, I'd expect us to keep the pressure on Lewis and disrupt the offense as much as possible. Chasing Wood will again be key (basically the same type of player offensively as Snaer). And ultimately, how we handle Leslie and Howell will be critical. We can't let Leslie go off again, and Mason can't let Howell win that battle on the boards again.

If they don't have Brown, we should win. If they have Brown (and he's close to full speed), it will be a very tough game. One that we can win for sure, but very tough.

newclasspack
02-07-2013, 10:49 AM
a lot of good stuff in this thread guys..

Here is some things of note

The preferred nickname of Tyler Lewis is "Teen Wolf"

Tyler has been Doubted at every level he's played at.

Being introduced at the Carolina challenge as a freshman, where he was barely 5'6" but turned it into a Personal Highlight Reel
Then his three years at forsyth where he left that all time leading scorer and Assist man
Between his junior and senior year there was a serious knock on his outside shooting and then he went to peach jam and had a game with i think like 6 or 7 threes.
Transferring to OakHill where a lot of people said he wasn't even going to play but then led that team to 44-0 and the head coach Steve smith said Tyler was the best pure point he's coached since rondo. (side Note... i find it funny that you got Quinn Cook the starting senior PG in 2010, We get Tyler Lewis the Starting senior pg in 2011, and UNX gets Nate Britt the starting senior pg in 2012).
Now at the ACC level Even after time and time of people doubting him and Tyler responding in kind our own fans were talking about Tyler transferring and not being able to hack it... but its hard to show what you CAN do when you are getting 2 mins here and three minutes there.. there is no real flow. He showed at Miami he can PLAY at this level.. they put Larkin on him the leader in steals int he ACC, and he play calm and with no mistakes, they put the 6'5" Durand on him... and he ate his lunch. Twice. they put the Longer 6'5" Rion Brown on him and he got him into foul trouble. I don't know where this myth came form that's he's not Quick... his end to end speed is only slightly above average but he laterally he is very quick, and is hard to stay in front of as he got all 16 of his points in the lane.

Now Cameron is the REAL test... not only is it his first Road Game where he will be a factor (talk about getting thrown to the wolves) but Miami was an emotionally charged game for Tyler.. he had lost his Grandmother two day before and was gonna go and be with is family but was urged by his Grandfather to stay and play.

Now Lorenzo apparently wanted to play against Miami and he said he was good to go, but Gott Kept him out. So Ideally what it think we are gonna see is Tyler Start with Lorenzo giving 20-25 minutes off the bench, depending on how well Tyler is doing. Once again Leslie and Howell staying out of Foul trouble is super key.

sagegrouse
02-07-2013, 10:59 AM
a lot of good stuff in this thread guys..

Now Cameron is the REAL test... not only is it his first Road Game where he will be a factor (talk about getting thrown to the wolves) but Miami was an emotionally charged game for Tyler.. he had lost his Grandmother two day before and was gonna go and be with is family but was urged by his Grandfather to stay and play.

Great post, Newclasspack. But, I believe, Tyler Lewis is being "thrown by the Wolves," not to the wolves.

sagegrouse

newclasspack
02-07-2013, 11:00 AM
Great post, Newclasspack. But, I believe, Tyler Lewis is being "thrown by the Wolves," not to the wolves.

sagegrouse
i see what you did, or i did, there

jipops
02-07-2013, 11:10 AM
I wouldn't exactly call @VPI a looming road bump - Virginia Tech is considerably worse than Florida State, and the Seminoles are far from good. And while we shouldn't expect Duke's trips to Maryland, Virginia and UNC to be easy, those teams are squarely on the bubble for a reason.

Good point about VPI, they are low on the kenpom. I probably had visions of Erick Green dropping 35 on us, and they did just give UNC a tough one in the dome. I do expect the other 3 I mentioned to be very tough. I kind of see us dropping at least one of those. We've dropped games to bubble teams many times in the past.

newclasspack
02-07-2013, 11:13 AM
Good point about VPI, they are low on the kenpom. I probably had visions of Erick Green dropping 35 on us, and they did just give UNC a tough one in the dome. I do expect the other 3 I mentioned to be very tough. I kind of see us dropping at least one of those. We've dropped games to bubble teams many times in the past.
Erick Green will probably got for 40 on you guys.. the issue is the rest of his team will go for 15.

Cameron
02-07-2013, 11:55 AM
Since this is a high-traffic thread, I will ask here. Why is the Andre Dawkins thread locked? Please tell me it has nothing to do with "rumor-mongering"? That's essentially what a message board is, a collection of people gossiping.

I thought the thread was interesting and would have liked to have heard from anyone else who wanted to offer any insight or take they have on the subject.

gwlaw99
02-07-2013, 01:29 PM
Is the game being televised nationally? On the ESPN website, it only says ESPN3.

CDu
02-07-2013, 01:33 PM
Is the game being televised nationally? On the ESPN website, it only says ESPN3.

ACC Network has the game, so it doesn't sound like it's nationally televised.

moonpie23
02-07-2013, 01:41 PM
I'm thinking Brown plays most of the game....

Cameron
02-07-2013, 02:04 PM

If you have ESPN Full Court, the game will be on (for Dish) Channel 458.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-07-2013, 02:18 PM
Since this is a high-traffic thread, I will ask here. Why is the Andre Dawkins thread locked? Please tell me it has nothing to do with "rumor-mongering"? That's essentially what a message board is, a collection of people gossiping.

I thought the thread was interesting and would have liked to have heard from anyone else who wanted to offer any insight or take they have on the subject.

I don't know for certain, but it was locked shortly after I commented that the postulating and analyzing made me uncomfortable, as it has been made very clear that Andre is taking this season away from basketball and out of the spotlight. He's trying to take time for himself, and threads like that one on very high profile websites like this one only serve to drag him back into the conversation. He's doing what I see as a very honorable thing, in trying to take time to get his head straight. Discussion over whether he will play again for Duke, play somewhere else, contribute, be a defensive liability all just seems a bit... crass and disrespectful of his wishes to truly take time away from the team.

But, I could be wrong.

I know all of us wish the best for him, but let's also try and give him the space he's asking for as well. If he suits back up for Duke, he will have our unwavering support. If he doesn't we will all hope that things go well in whatever he pursues.

I anticipate these posts will be deleted too, and I might be completely wrong about the reasons for deletion. But I'll bet by posting here, we will both find out.

:)

Go Duke!

airowe
02-07-2013, 02:40 PM
I'm thinking Brown plays most of the game....

Probably right, but Gary Parrish is saying he's out barring a miracle.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/21663822/source-brown-out-for-nc-state-barring-a-miracle

newclasspack
02-07-2013, 02:41 PM
Probably right, but Gary Parrish is saying he's out barring a miracle.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/21663822/source-brown-out-for-nc-state-barring-a-miracle

Was just gonna post this.. i take everything Parrish says about our program with a HUGE grain of salt.

AsiaMinor
02-07-2013, 02:43 PM
My sentiments exactly.
Now, back to the thread: Let's win this tonight (insert lots of strategy here).

I don't know for certain, but it was locked shortly after I commented that the postulating and analyzing made me uncomfortable, as it has been made very clear that Andre is taking this season away from basketball and out of the spotlight. He's trying to take time for himself, and threads like that one on very high profile websites like this one only serve to drag him back into the conversation. He's doing what I see as a very honorable thing, in trying to take time to get his head straight. Discussion over whether he will play again for Duke, play somewhere else, contribute, be a defensive liability all just seems a bit... crass and disrespectful of his wishes to truly take time away from the team.

But, I could be wrong.

I know all of us wish the best for him, but let's also try and give him the space he's asking for as well. If he suits back up for Duke, he will have our unwavering support. If he doesn't we will all hope that things go well in whatever he pursues.

I anticipate these posts will be deleted too, and I might be completely wrong about the reasons for deletion. But I'll bet by posting here, we will both find out.

:)

Go Duke!

jipops
02-07-2013, 02:56 PM
Was just gonna post this.. i take everything Parrish says about our program with a HUGE grain of salt.

The grain for which I associate Parrish is substantially smaller.

This certainly seems different from what we've been hearing otherwise. Is another ACC team about to go all Willis Reed on us? Would be nice if we could go Willis on someone.

UrinalCake
02-07-2013, 03:09 PM
I'm kind of past the whole "UNC and State like to lie about their injuries" idea. Maybe it happened with Phil Ford 20 years ago. But I've not seen Roy, Goettfried, Lowe, or Sendek do anything that I'd consider lying or misleading when it comes to injury reports. And Duke is as guarded and cryptic about our own injuries as anyone.

Dev11
02-07-2013, 03:18 PM
And Duke is as guarded and cryptic about our own injuries as anyone.

Our injuries just happen to be more serious.

Reisen
02-07-2013, 03:20 PM
Not sure if this has already been posted, but it is infuriating that we keep getting ACC Network games at the exact same time as Maryland, which means the Duke game isn't televised in what is probably Duke's largest market (Atlanta? NYC?) again!

airowe
02-07-2013, 03:32 PM
Not sure if this has already been posted, but it is infuriating that we keep getting ACC Network games at the exact same time as Maryland, which means the Duke game isn't televised in what is probably Duke's largest market (Atlanta? NYC?) again!

You can watch in Atlanta on My Network TV or New York City on ESPN3: http://www.theacc.com/live/2013-acc-basketball-mens-match-center-201.html

Bob Green
02-07-2013, 04:09 PM
I think we should push the pace, and have Quinn in particular force the issue with Lewis. Tire him out and/or get him in foul trouble, and State will have problems. So while yes, without Josh we're thin, I think State is even thinner without Brown. If I'm right, more possessions may work to our advantage, including giving Mason the chance to make Howell work on D and perhaps pick up some fouls.

The over/under opened at 153 and is currently 150.5 with Duke listed as an 11 points favorite. That equates to a score in the neighborhood of 81-70. Perhaps Vegas is expecting State to have some difficulty scoring with Tyler Lewis running the show.

Monmouth77
02-07-2013, 04:39 PM
You can watch in Atlanta on My Network TV or New York City on ESPN3: http://www.theacc.com/live/2013-acc-basketball-mens-match-center-201.html

If I am reading this link correctly, no television station in the Washington DC area broadcasts these ACC Network games-- that seemed to be the case for the Wake game, which I watched in SD at a bar that had ESPN Full Court.

Anybody know whether -- in DC-- a person can watch this game on ESPN 3?

Or is it "blacked out" despite not being available on TV (and despite being played hundreds of miles away)?

Is the ACCN app my only hope (bar is not an option tonight)?

flyingdutchdevil
02-07-2013, 04:43 PM
...is bumping. This is not a tenting game (although it should have been) but as of yesterday afternoon, the line was all the way past Wilson. This is insane. The crowd will be loud, proud, and ready to roll (including this guy).

I am too excited to read anymore business cases. The butterflies are in full-bloom!

NOTE: Being a grad student at Duke is ten times better for your health than an undergrad. It's definitely not as fun, but you aren't freezing to death either.

Bob Green
02-07-2013, 04:50 PM

That TV listing isn't 100% accurate. For Virginia, it does not list any Norfolk coverage, but checking the guide on my TV revels Verizon will carry the game on Channel 507 (CW).

gep
02-07-2013, 05:39 PM
... Is another ACC team about to go all Willis Reed on us? Would be nice if we could go Willis on someone.

Well... isn't Duke pulling a Willis almost every game with Seth? :cool:

Reisen
02-07-2013, 05:47 PM

Ahh, I meant what metro area is Duke's largest market. DC might have the most alumni, but maybe more fans in NYC. DC also has a ton of other ACC fans (VPI, UVA, UMD, plus the other NC schools), so as long as our game isn't conflicting with one of those games, you'd think we'd get a ton of viewers here.

Which all leads to my point of the problem with scheduling a game competing with a local team's game, on a network that will only show one game or the other.

I guess this will be solved when UMD leaves the ACC.

dukelion
02-07-2013, 05:48 PM
No sympathy with Brown out obviously because Kelly is still missing but especially since Gottfreid's comments at half time of the first game.

In response to Kelly being out he basically said "well....they replaced him with another McDonald's AA.....not too many teams can do that"

He's right...but guess who can? That's right.....Tyler Lewis was a burger boy too.

Game on

NSDukeFan
02-07-2013, 06:02 PM
The grain for which I associate Parrish is substantially smaller.

This certainly seems different from what we've been hearing otherwise. Is another ACC team about to go all Willis Reed on us? Would be nice if we could go Willis on someone.

Ryan will hopefully soon be our Willis Reed and lead the team to a championship? Or 3? (conference, regional, national?)

MCFinARL
02-07-2013, 06:18 PM
If I am reading this link correctly, no television station in the Washington DC area broadcasts these ACC Network games-- that seemed to be the case for the Wake game, which I watched in SD at a bar that had ESPN Full Court.

Or is it "blacked out" despite not being available on TV (and despite being played hundreds of miles away)?

On my ESPN3 (technically "WatchESPN" which is what FIOS has, for some reason), the blackout map shows that the DC area is not blacked out. It's blacked out in NC, SC, and parts of Georgia and Florida. So you should be able to get it.

AsiaMinor
02-07-2013, 06:45 PM
That's your only hope.

CDu
02-07-2013, 07:18 PM
Per Pack Pride (and from Lorenzo Brown's twitter feed), he's out tonight.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=178&f=2515&t=11268275

cptnflash
02-07-2013, 07:51 PM
No sympathy with Brown out obviously because Kelly is still missing but especially since Gottfreid's comments at half time of the first game.

In response to Kelly being out he basically said "well....they replaced him with another McDonald's AA.....not too many teams can do that"

He's right...but guess who can? That's right.....Tyler Lewis was a burger boy too.

Game on

This is an awesome post! Should be no problem subbing Tyler Lewis for Lorenzo Brown, right Mark?

Game on!

subzero02
02-07-2013, 08:11 PM
We are minus 800 on the moneyline... Heavy, heavy favorites

moonpie23
02-07-2013, 09:00 PM
i'd be happy to be heavy on the score side when the clock goes to tripple-aught..

CLW
02-07-2013, 09:04 PM
off-topic Indiana just CHOKED huge lead and lost at the buzzer @ Illinois

FerryFor50
02-07-2013, 09:08 PM
Sulaimon came ready to play!

CLW
02-07-2013, 09:09 PM
BIG haymakers early. i like these starts lately coming out to send a statement early. sheed on fire again. looking good!

CLW
02-07-2013, 09:12 PM
sheed is on FIRE!

snowdenscold
02-07-2013, 09:13 PM
Don't get me wrong - I love the way we've started, but that's two shots now by Seth where his toe has been on the line. Drives me nuts!

FerryFor50
02-07-2013, 09:14 PM
Don't get me wrong - I love the way we've started, but that's two shots now by Seth where his toe has been on the line. Drives me nuts!

I didn't mind the one on the catch and shoot. The other one was one of those "heat check" shots...

WannabeDukie
02-07-2013, 09:17 PM
Wow! What a start! NC State already seems to be walking with their heads down...

FerryFor50
02-07-2013, 09:18 PM
Howell with 2 fouls... Looking good!

dairedevil
2 fouls on Quinn - we're so thin tonight, we really can't afford foul trouble. Thank goodness they came out on fire!

CLW
curry is the only miss thus far... what a start.

mapei
02-07-2013, 09:19 PM
Damn, I despise this ACCN thing - it means that I don't get to see Duke games. (DC, Verizon FiOS) Ridiculous. Glad we're apparently starting well.

FerryFor50
02-07-2013, 09:20 PM
Refs sure seem to be protecting lil ol Tyler Lewis... Two touch fouls he's drawn already.

snowdenscold
Damn, I despise this ACCN thing - it means that I don't get to see Duke games. (DC, Verizon FiOS) Ridiculous. Glad we're apparently starting well.

I'm in NoVa w/ Verizon FiOS and I get it on ESPN3.

toughbuff1

Try espn3.com

CLW
02-07-2013, 09:22 PM
wow state just looks dead. its like the miami game in reverse thus far.

FerryFor50
02-07-2013, 09:23 PM
Man, Sulaimon is doing it ALL tonight!

dukelion
02-07-2013, 09:25 PM

http://www.justin.tv/njwolfpacker#/w/4799108064/2

Furniture
02-07-2013, 09:25 PM
Wood woke up..

CLW
02-07-2013, 09:26 PM
Wood woke up..

kid can really shoot the basketball the D wasn't even "that bad" he just caught it and fired it up

Monmouth77
02-07-2013, 09:26 PM
Scott wood plays absolutely no defense.

FerryFor50
02-07-2013, 09:28 PM
Scott wood plays absolutely no defense.

None of state does.

El_Diablo
02-07-2013, 09:28 PM
We really let our foot off the gas pedal, getting outscored by the Wolfpack (9-8) for about the two minutes there. This is a major cause for concern and needs to be brought up in the post-game thread.

FerryFor50
02-07-2013, 09:29 PM
Hilarious. Seth runs baseline. Gets pass, not open, passes back. Runs the opposite way on the baseline, wide open.

UrinalCake
02-07-2013, 09:29 PM
Praise The Lord, theacc.com/live is finally up

snowdenscold
02-07-2013, 09:31 PM
We really let our foot off the gas pedal, getting outscored by the Wolfpack (9-8) for about the two minutes there. This is a major cause for concern and needs to be brought up in the post-game thread.

Yes, NC State has scored on 4 or 5 straight possessions now. Completely unacceptable, heh.

slower
02-07-2013, 09:31 PM
Tyler Lewis is getting our guards in foul trouble. Hope it doesn't come back to bite us.

sporthenry
02-07-2013, 09:32 PM
2 each on Sheed, TT, and Cook. Could be trouble. Would like to see the defense settle down a bit.

Are these NC State announcers on ESPN3?

FerryFor50
Murph!!!

toughbuff1
Murphy!!!

dukelifer
02-07-2013, 09:33 PM
Murphy showing his quickness

Furniture
DUNK

FerryFor50
2 each on Sheed, TT, and Cook. Could be trouble. Would like to see the defense settle down a bit.

Several of those have been real tricky tack fouls...

JBDuke
02-07-2013, 09:34 PM
This Duke team is capable of some beautiful basketball.

UrinalCake
Holy crap, did that just happen?!?

CLW
send it in Murph! good to see Alex playing pretty well now that he has an opportunity for some serious minutes.

sporthenry
Several of those have been real tricky tack fouls...

I know but just hoping we can KO them in the first half with all the potential foul trouble the guards might have.

And perhaps the Alex Murphy coming out party?

Furniture
Murphy is all growd up!
I could almost cry....

dukelifer

Lewis is going to foul out the entire backcourt. The kid needs to played with a bit more respect. He will not get rattled.

Les Grossman
Alex Murphy doesn't lack for confidence, does he? Love it!

CDu
02-07-2013, 09:35 PM
Murphy acquitting himself quite nicely at PF against an undersized State team. Next man stepping up!

FerryFor50
House of Murph! (Apologies to Edith Wharton)

CLW
Lewis is going to foul out the entire backcourt. The kid needs to played with a bit more respect. He will not get rattled.

yeah he appears to be the only state player that doesn't have a standing 8 count right now.

slower
02-07-2013, 09:40 PM
Guys need to be very careful here - lead is about to start shrinking.

Looks like it's a ballgame now.

FerryFor50
02-07-2013, 09:40 PM
Ok, let's get it together!

CLW
02-07-2013, 09:41 PM
getting sloppy and the intensity is starting to fade a bit. need to close out the half strong.

FerryFor50
A lot of contact on that drive. Grr...

rsvman
Reverting to the mean?

dukelifer
Ok, let's get it together!

Feels like Duke is getting tired

FerryFor50
02-07-2013, 09:42 PM
Feels like Duke is getting tired

Tired of beating some Wolfies!

FerryFor50
02-07-2013, 09:44 PM
Cook also playing a solid game!

BlueandWhite
02-07-2013, 09:45 PM
Tired of beating some Wolfies!

...and keep burying 3's!!

sporthenry
02-07-2013, 09:45 PM
Defense has to buckle down. Can't be expected to keep this 50+ point pace.

rsvman
02-07-2013, 09:46 PM
Can't give Howell wide open jumpers

Durham Thunder
02-07-2013, 09:47 PM
When Alex Murphy is doing a 2-hand slam, you know it's going to be a good night.

FerryFor50
02-07-2013, 09:47 PM
Think State will start fouling on purpose to stop Duke from shooting threes? :D

CLW
02-07-2013, 09:48 PM

might not be a bad strategy just hack plumlee every trip down and take your chances he reverts to 60% from the line. much more efficient D than what they are running now although they may run out of bodies.

dukelifer
02-07-2013, 09:49 PM
Hot Curry is always welcome

FerryFor50
02-07-2013, 09:50 PM
might not be a bad strategy just hack plumlee every trip down and take your chances he reverts to 60% from the line. much more efficient D than what they are running now although they may run out of bodies.

He's been hitting everything tonight, so that would be bad strategy.

Furniture
02-07-2013, 09:52 PM
Hot Curry is always welcome

Vindaloo or madras?

snowdenscold
02-07-2013, 09:52 PM
Wow, I really thought Seth's halftime shot would go in when he released. Guess we're spoiled this game, haha.

FerryFor50
02-07-2013, 09:53 PM
Duke scored only 5 fewer points in the half than the entire Miami game...

CDu
02-07-2013, 09:55 PM
Well, that was fun. Let's keep doing that!

We even navigated some early guard foul trouble.

State is going to have a tough haul to get back into this, especially if Wood stays out and they continue to not play defense.

matt1
02-07-2013, 09:55 PM
Wow, I really thought Seth's halftime shot would go in when he released. Guess we're spoiled this game, haha.

I really wanted that 60-point first half! Anyway, when is the last time that we scored more than 58 in a first (not second- there are more points on average in the second half) half?

lotusland
02-07-2013, 09:57 PM
House of Murph! (Apologies to Edith Wharton)

Excellent!

chaosmage
02-07-2013, 09:58 PM
The offense is clicking tonight like I have not seen in quite some time. Honestly, it reminds me of the beginning of the season with Kyrie, it flows that smoothly.

On pace for a 115+ :-D

Durham Thunder
02-07-2013, 09:58 PM
when's the last time Duke had this much in the first half?

FerryFor50
02-07-2013, 09:59 PM
Honestly, the defense wasn't terrible. They held a very good shooting team to 44%...

Les Grossman
02-07-2013, 09:59 PM
Heckuva half of basketball. Thoroughly enjoyable

mapei
02-07-2013, 10:00 PM
Finally found it on Full Court PPV - Seth was amazing the last few minutes of the half! We're rebounding well, too.

Saratoga2
02-07-2013, 10:01 PM
What a solid and balanced offensive performance. 58 points in the half against a solid team. Not too shabby. We don't have that many fouls so we should be able to play a little more aggressively on defense in the second half. Mason has no fouls.

Question: How much time did Amile get. I tuned in at 9:30 so missed a lot of good and didn't see Amile. Is he okay or just having trouble guarding CJ?

FerryFor50
02-07-2013, 10:03 PM
What a solid and balanced offensive performance. 58 points in the half against a solid team. Not too shabby. We don't have that many fouls so we should be able to play a little more aggressively on defense in the second half. Mason has no fouls.

Question: How much time did Amile get. I tuned in at 9:30 so missed a lot of good and didn't see Amile. Is he okay or just having trouble guarding CJ?

Has more to do with how well Murphy is playing than Amile being ok or not. They have gotten pretty even PT.

snowdenscold
02-07-2013, 10:03 PM
Finally found it on Full Court PPV - Seth was amazing the last few minutes of the half! We're rebounding well, too.

You can't get ESPN3 ?

Furniture
02-07-2013, 10:05 PM
Murph is playing very intense!

moonpie23
02-07-2013, 10:05 PM
lotta time left......hope we come out focused.......

sporthenry
02-07-2013, 10:06 PM
Honestly, the defense wasn't terrible. They held a very good shooting team to 44%...

Not terrible. It was alright, but a decent amount of that is NC State's ineptitude. They missed about 3-4 layups early. But the pace is pretty staggering. NC State has 37 FGA. In the first game, they finished with 59. So almost on pace 25% more field goal attempts.

But NC State cut it to 12 several times and it took more shooting to extend the lead. With a lead like this, you'd ideally like to be able to milk it.

FerryFor50
02-07-2013, 10:13 PM
3 fouls in a span of 30 seconds. Grr.

noworries
02-07-2013, 10:14 PM
last year it was 61-41 when we started our run....

dukelifer
02-07-2013, 10:16 PM
last year it was 61-41 when we started our run....

Need to get the ball inside- like that

noworries
02-07-2013, 10:18 PM
Need to get the ball inside- like that

...and on cue, mason to the line...hopefully we can stretch this thing out...having to watch online since the regional coverage here is maryland-vt...same time warner commercial three times in a row during this timeout:confused:

FerryFor50
02-07-2013, 10:20 PM
Leslie is getting a taste of what nba life might be like.

sporthenry
02-07-2013, 10:22 PM
I know we complain about other announcers but these ESPN3 (assuming ACC TV) announcers are terrible biased. I'm guessing they are NC State announcers but that is all they talk about. Lorenzo Brown blah blah blah. Mason hitting his free throws is an anomaly blah blah. Guess I'm being picky in a 20 point game but how does 1 team get their own announcers?

dukelifer
02-07-2013, 10:23 PM
Leslie is getting a taste of what nba life might be like.

State is scoring too easily

FerryFor50
02-07-2013, 10:25 PM
Tyler Lewis is getting superstar treatment. Slightest touch is a foul.

FerryFor50
02-07-2013, 10:27 PM
State is scoring too easily

I meant him trying to defend Mason. :)

dukelifer
02-07-2013, 10:29 PM
I meant him trying to defend Mason. :)

Yes- but State is scoring at will inside

CLW
shooting has come back down to earth in the 2nd half and state is trying to chip away. need to pound the ball inside repeatedly to mason.

jacone21
Defense needs to pick it up!

rsvman
02-07-2013, 10:30 PM
Danger time.

Need to stay focused, especially on D

FerryFor50
02-07-2013, 10:30 PM
Yes- but State is scoring at will inside

They are. And Mason has zero fouls. Time for him to step up the effort on D!

CLW
02-07-2013, 10:32 PM
crowd is dead and the team needs a boost.

sporthenry
02-07-2013, 10:33 PM
Same exact play as Howell on TT in first half.

FerryFor50
I really, really REALLY hate the bs flops on post moves...

rsvman
Howell is killing us

dukelifer
02-07-2013, 10:34 PM
No energy on D

jacone21
02-07-2013, 10:35 PM
State is 12-14 in the half. Ridiculous.

rsvman
02-07-2013, 10:35 PM
Now Howell will have to leave?

FerryFor50
02-07-2013, 10:36 PM
I really, really REALLY hate the bs flops on post moves...

And that goes for any game where it gets called. If a post player doesn't lower his shoulder or use excessive contact on the backdown and the bigger defender just falls, call it on the guy who flopped. It's a dangerous play because the offensive player suddenly has someone at knee and ankle level. Hate it.

slower
02-07-2013, 10:36 PM
Big foul on Howell. Still, definitely need to step up or this is gonna tighten up very quickly.

Durham Thunder
02-07-2013, 10:40 PM
I'm smelling some cheap pizza from Papa Johns

77devil
02-07-2013, 10:40 PM
Is it me or are the commentators from the N.C. State network?

mapei
02-07-2013, 10:42 PM
We've gone cold.

rsvman
02-07-2013, 10:43 PM
Clean block but they call the foul

CLW
02-07-2013, 10:43 PM
Is it me or are the commentators from the N.C. State network?

Meh I think they are trying to "sell" both teams like its the Celtics v. Lakers from the 80s or something.

FerryFor50
02-07-2013, 10:44 PM
Duke D has been way worse this half...

slower
02-07-2013, 10:45 PM
State now has a higher FG% for the game.

Buckle up. This is NOT looking good.

ScreechTDX1847
02-07-2013, 10:45 PM
Have we actually fouled Tyler Lewis tonight? I fell like I am usually pretty objective but NCSU is getting all the home cooking tonight. I think they just get calls because they play physical, or not? Frustrating.

FerryFor50
02-07-2013, 10:46 PM
State now has a higher FG% for the game

And Duke has shot 20 more FTs so now the casual State fan can *really* blame the refs.

noworries
02-07-2013, 10:47 PM
foul foul foul foul foul foul foul

rsvman
02-07-2013, 10:48 PM
Why do we have no answer to Howell?

CLW
02-07-2013, 10:49 PM
great 1st half followed by an awful 2nd. this one appears to be going down to the wire and momentum is on state's side.

FerryFor50

Only answer is go at him and get that 5th foul.

noworries

NO idea but this sucks

Cameron
Can somebody please tell me why we decided that playing like Princeton was the most efficient route to a win in the second half? What in the ----.

mapei
It seems like we have run out of steam. So have they somewhat, but not as much.

dukelifer
02-07-2013, 10:50 PM
Getting nervous

jacone21
02-07-2013, 10:50 PM
See ya!

FerryFor50
02-07-2013, 10:51 PM
Only answer is go at him and get that 5th foul.

Aaaaaand there we go!

rsvman
Howell gone and not a moment too soon

noworries
good now howell is gone

dukelifer
Getting nervous

That helped

snowdenscold

Howell has an answer for himself. 5th foul is offensive (maybe flagrant?) and he's done. Wow.

Cue State whining.

pfrduke
And (what should be) a flagrant to boot. Might be the nail.

mapei
02-07-2013, 10:52 PM
Stupid foul, too - seemed like out of frustration.

Durham Thunder
Can someone PLEASE explain to me why Marshall Plumlee is not seeing playing time? Even with Hairston out? Someone please explain to me why he's been on the pine all season long.

sporthenry
Good call. Will probably be a flagrant but NC State fans will get upset about something.

Apparently the twitterverse is alive saying that the Crazies chanted "How's your grandma" to Tyler Lewis whose grand mom just died. I didn't hear it. Did anyone else?

FerryFor50
Stupid foul, too - seemed like out of frustration.

Eh, I think it was incidental. Just trying to do too much.

Cameron
It seems like we have run out of steam. So have they somewhat, but not as much.

Disagree. We have deliberately been dribbling in almost three-man-weave fashion out top and waiting 15 to 20 seconds to initiate the offense for the last 10 minutes.

Just bizarre. But not surprising to say the least. Reminds me of a game at BC in 2007.

slower
02-07-2013, 10:53 PM
And Duke has shot 20 more FTs so now the casual State fan can *really* blame the refs.

Although, the team foul totals are even.

BlueDevilBrowns
02-07-2013, 10:53 PM
Howell gone and not a moment too soon

and the headline in the N&O tomorrow will read "duke by a nose".

mapei
02-07-2013, 10:54 PM
"Glancing blow" - looked deliberate to me.

FerryFor50
02-07-2013, 10:55 PM
Can someone PLEASE explain to me why Marshall Plumlee is not seeing playing time? Even with Hairston out? Someone please explain to me why he's been on the pine all season long.

Well, he was hurt most of the season. And he's a train wreck when he's on the floor. He'll get better, but it will take some time.

FerryFor50
02-07-2013, 10:56 PM
Good call. Will probably be a flagrant but NC State fans will get upset about something.

Apparently the twitterverse is alive saying that the Crazies chanted "How's your grandma" to Tyler Lewis whose grand mom just died. I didn't hear it. Did anyone else?

I've seen that accusation, too. Hope not - pretty classless if true. Terp-like, even.

Cameron
02-07-2013, 10:56 PM

And it should be, after we clearly played not to lose in the second 20 minutes.

CLW
02-07-2013, 10:58 PM
defense optional tonight. state in the 1st half duke in the 2nd.

El_Diablo
02-07-2013, 10:58 PM
I've seen that accusation, too. Hope not - pretty classless if true. Terp-like, even.

I heard a "Bilbo Baggins" chant.

slower
02-07-2013, 10:59 PM

Don't get ahead of yourself.

aro24
02-07-2013, 11:00 PM
Looks like they decided to play "stall ball" the entire 2nd half. Whatever happened to putting someone away when you have them down. You let teams hang around long enough, it can come back to bite you.

FerryFor50
I heard a "Bilbo Baggins" chant.

Maybe Wolfies *wanted* to hear it...

Cameron
Looks like they decided to play "stall ball" the entire 2nd half. Whatever happened to putting someone away when you have them down. You let teams hang around long enough, it can come back to bite you.

Finally another person points this out.

This is just ridiculous. Had we lost, we would have deserved it entirely.

rsvman

Maybe. But not losing is otherwise known as winning

arnie
02-07-2013, 11:01 PM
defense optional tonight. state in the 1st half duke in the 2nd.

Horrible defensive effort in 2nd half

FerryFor50
02-07-2013, 11:01 PM

Well Duke played a lot of "miss open shots" and not a lot of defense...

dukelifer
02-07-2013, 11:02 PM
Plumlee put the team on his back tonight

Cameron
02-07-2013, 11:03 PM
Maybe. But not losing is otherwise known as winning

What we did in the second half tonight will get us run off the floor against a better team than N.C. State in the NCAA Tournament. Playing not to lose for 15 minutes of the second half is inexcusable for a team as talented as us.

aro24
After the barrage in the 1st half, has Duke hit a 3 in the 2nd half?

HoganLake
Plumlee put the team on his back tonight

Great block... Games not over yet though

BlueDevilBrowns
02-07-2013, 11:04 PM
this is mason's greatest game as a blue devil to date. totally dominant.

btw, the announcers are practically begging state to come back but i guess they just want to create some excitement.

UrinalCake
Gave Howell the open jumper all night and he hit a ton of them... really missed Kelly's defense there. Need to be strong with the ball and hit our free throws to close this out.

dukelifer

A lot like the UNC vs State game a week back

slower
This is just not very confidence-inspiring.

CLW
wow we are doing everything possible to lose this game.

rsvman
02-07-2013, 11:06 PM
And yet we won

HoganLake
02-07-2013, 11:06 PM
This is just not very confidence-inspiring.

I feel like I've been complaining about stall ball for 20 years