PDA

View Full Version : Cal Tech losing its Focus on Academics?

BD80
02-03-2013, 09:01 AM
There is a troubling trend at the California Institute of Technology:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/more/news/20130203/caltech-ends-228-game-losing-streak.ap/?sct=hp_t2_a16&eref=sihp

Caltech's baseball team ended a 228-game losing streak Saturday with a 9-7 victory over Pacifica -- Caltech hadn't won since Feb. 15, 2003.

Caltech's men's basketball team ended a 310-game conference losing streak in 2011, while the women's volleyball team ended a 56-match losing streak last year.

Sounds like Caltech is starting to put too much emphasis on its sports!

Well, maybe not: Pacifica was a non-conference game, and Caltech, mainly a Division III participant, has not won a Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference contest since 1988 - a span of 463 games.

I envision the casts of Big Bang Theory and King of the Nerds on the field ...

weezie
02-03-2013, 12:46 PM
Wild Thing on the mound?

wilson
02-03-2013, 02:33 PM
To me, the most troubling element of this story is that a regular-season baseball game was played on freaking February 2.
But congrats to the Beavers.

anon
02-04-2013, 03:52 AM
To me, the most troubling element of this story is that a regular-season baseball game was played on freaking February 2.
But congrats to the Beavers.

Opening day at Coombs is on the 22nd!

bluebutton
02-04-2013, 04:14 AM
I envision the casts of Big Bang Theory and King of the Nerds on the field ...

My husband who did undergrad there says there was a jocks' dorm. So maybe Sheldon with muscles?

zack2014
02-04-2013, 09:04 AM
One of my friends at college was bragging to me about how he was recruited to play soccer at Cal Tech. I didn't realize how bad they were until I played with him and realized that he wouldn't have been able to play on my high school team...

camion
02-04-2013, 11:59 AM
I'm not sure how I feel about their win-at-some-cost* attitude.

*Whatever it takes to win as long as it doesn't take much.

Actually my college baseball team was bad, high school bad. I had the winningest record on the team as a freshman pitcher at 1-2. My coach wasn't the most organized man in the world. The story goes that at his daughter's christening they forgot to bring her to the church. :eek: