PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke at Florida State Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

Bob Green
01-31-2013, 07:04 PM
Duke travels south to take on the Florida State Seminoles on Saturday at 2 pm EST. TV coverage is being provided by ESPN. It is time to build off the Wake Forest victory and even out our conference road record at 2-2.

Note to team: guard Snaer at the 3 PT Line.

CDu
01-31-2013, 07:09 PM
FSU is neither good offensively (#85 in Pomeroy) nor are they good defensively (#119!) this year. They've lost to South Alabama at home, Mercer at home, and at Auburn. They scored just 36 at UVa and just 47 home against UF and 47 at Miami. They are, by no stretch of the imagination, a good team this year.

They don't have the rebounding and shotblocking presence inside that they've had in previous years. They sorely miss the size and talent that James, Alabi, Singleton provided, and the depth of decent size that Gibson, Kreft, and Reid provided.
They do have 3 7-footers (Turpin, Bojanovsky, and Ojo). But those guys combine to average about 28 mpg, and average nearly as many fouls (4) as rebounds (5.3) or points (5), and as many turnovers (1.8) as blocks (2.2). So it's a bunch of tall stiffs that bring very little to the table.

The options to go smaller may be limited if Shannon (a 6'8", 240 PF, and the only true alternative at C) can't play. Their starting PF White is a lot like Jefferson (lanky and active) but a better shooter. Shannon is a better version of Hairston, but as noted by Olympic Fan he may not play. The only other remaining big is Gilchrist, who hasn't shown anything to suggest he's ready for ACC action. And none of these should be able to handle Mason inside.

In the backcourt, they are long and athletic, and can shoot. But they don't have a competent ballhandler that can stabilize the offense like Kitchen and Loucks provided. So their offense is very disjointed. They'll commit a lot of mindnumbing turnovers. Then, at times (though not often enough), they'll rain 3s.

In short, this is not the FSU team of recent memory. They are young, (for the most part) small, and undisciplined. There is some talent there, but it's very green and very inconsistent.

OldPhiKap
01-31-2013, 07:17 PM
FSU always plays us tough down there, would not be surprised to see a bad result. I assume we will be favored on Vegas but would not consider a loss here an upset.

cptnflash
01-31-2013, 07:53 PM
FSU always plays us tough down there, would not be surprised to see a bad result. I assume we will be favored on Vegas but would not consider a loss here an upset.

A loss would be a major upset, and a major disappointment for a team that still has an outside shot at winning the conference, provided that we get Ryan back at some point. The Vegas line is likely to be in the high single digits. CDu's description of the team is spot on. I think their only chance of beating us is to shoot a lot of 3's and hope they make >40% of them. I would imagine running them off the 3 point line will be a big part of the defensive game plan.

OldPhiKap
01-31-2013, 08:06 PM
A loss would be a major upset, and a major disappointment for a team that still has an outside shot at winning the conference, provided that we get Ryan back at some point. The Vegas line is likely to be in the high single digits. CDu's description of the team is spot on. I think their only chance of beating us is to shoot a lot of 3's and hope they make >40% of them. I would imagine running them off the 3 point line will be a big part of the defensive game plan.

We are 1-2 in the conference on the road. I would be disappointed to lose, but to say that it would be a "major upset" does not necessarily comport with history. This is a tough game in the best of circumstances.

I agree with your enthusiasm. I disagree that a win is expected.

And I agree on the defense, especially Snaer. We need to cover him from the time he leaves the dorm room.

Bob Green
01-31-2013, 08:13 PM
We are 1-2 in the conference on the road. I would be disappointed to lose, but to say that it would be a "major upset" does not necessarily comport with history.

Facts? Sir, how dare you bring facts onto a message board. That's practically unheard of around these parts! :cool:

Duvall
01-31-2013, 08:17 PM
We are 1-2 in the conference on the road.

Florida State is 2-2 against the Atlantic Sun and Sun Belt Conferences at home this year. They are what they are.

OldPhiKap
01-31-2013, 09:12 PM
Florida State is 2-2 against the Atlantic Sun and Sun Belt Conferences at home this year. They are what they are.

I am sure the Seminoles had those games circled on the calendar.

I don't want to be the negative nelly, not my style. But this is a really difficult game, I disagree with those who think we are "should win" favorites here. We need to play a hell of a lot better than our past road games to win.

CLW
01-31-2013, 09:19 PM

a team that plays to the level of their competition. the Criminoles will be jacked and give it their best shot. after the struggle against wake i don't believe any road game is a gimmie for this team.

Reilly
02-01-2013, 10:22 AM
What is the spread? What is Pomeroy predicting?

The SRS at sports-reference has Duke at 15.4 points better than FSU; Sagarin as 12 points better. But then factor in 3 points for FSU at home ... and those margins of being better were built w/ RK.

If FSU is offensively-challenged, let's see Duke's D really step up and grind out a victory, whether our shooting posts or not.

pfrduke
02-01-2013, 11:01 AM

The SRS at sports-reference has Duke at 15.4 points better than FSU; Sagarin as 12 points better. But then factor in 3 points for FSU at home ... and those margins of being better were built w/ RK.

If FSU is offensively-challenged, let's see Duke's D really step up and grind out a victory, whether our shooting posts or not.

Pomeroy is Duke 79, FSU 67.

CDu
02-01-2013, 11:21 AM
a team that plays to the level of their competition. the Criminoles will be jacked and give it their best shot. after the struggle against wake i don't believe any road game is a gimmie for this team.

I wouldn't say that FSU plays to their level of competition. They had a home game against their arch-rival (UF) and got blown out 72-47. They had a road game against their other arch-rival (Miami) and got blown out 71-47. They lost at home to a not-very-good UNC team. So I wouldn't say they are a team that plays to the level of their competition.

Now, that doesn't mean they won't play the game of their lives against us. But I'd actually argue that Wake is playing as well or better right now than FSU. They have more impressive wins than anything FSU has to offer (UVa and NC State vs BYU).

In other words, don't let the name on the jerseys (and the recent history for each) cloud your judgement. I'd look at this FSU team as no better than the Wake Forest team we just played.

Could FSU sneak up and beat us with an out-of-body-experience type of game? Sure. But we should view such a loss the same way we would have viewed a loss to Wake.

DukeWarhead
02-01-2013, 11:48 AM
I don't want to be the negative nelly, not my style. But this is a really difficult game, I disagree with those who think we are "should win" favorites here. We need to play a hell of a lot better than our past road games to win.

Count me as one of those. Duke "should win" this game. I'm pretty sure the coaches and the team will go into the game expecting to play hard and win it. I think the NCSU, Miami and Wake games have erased any misconceptions about any easy road games this season. We've seen what Duke is capable of - good and bad. We've seen what FSU is capable of - some good, mostly bad. Duke is the better team. Road game or not, Duke should win. Will they? I certainly hope so. It's understandable to be pessimistic given the Miami disaster, but I don't think the NCSU loss or close WF win were particularly "bad" games on Duke's part. (I actually think a similar performance to the NCSU game might be enough to win against FSU)
There's optomism, pessimism and the reality somewhere in between - and it just seems to me to suggest that Duke should be expected to win this game. That's what championship caliber teams want, after all. (And for the sake of this argument, I'm just talking ACC championship - which I think we all should agree is one of Duke's goals for this season.)

Fish80
02-01-2013, 12:10 PM
Agree that we should expect to win. But we have to also expect FSU to play their best. And we have to bring our best. If we bring our best, and nothing truly bizarre happens (like our guards shoot 1 for 29), then we should win.

Any reason to change the starting line-up? Probably Quinn-Seth-Rasheed-Amile-Mason, same as last two games. Possible that Josh starts over Amile.

gumbomoop
02-01-2013, 12:45 PM
Any reason to change the starting line-up? Probably Quinn-Seth-Rasheed-Amile-Mason, same as last two games. Possible that Josh starts over Amile.

I appreciate K's frankness in the Wake post-presser, when he said, twice, for emphasis, that in the first half of the Wake games, Josh played "very poorly." He then went on to note that Josh over time has also built up "equity, so we put him back in." We all know how Josh made 2 key plays near the end, and, as K noted, Josh absolutely has to make the hustle plays: "... that's what he has to do. He has to do that."

I'll guess that neither Amile nor Josh will care all that much who starts, and that both know how they must contribute for Duke to win on Sat and beyond. Until Ryan returns [I realize there's an optimistic assumption there....], it's possible Amile will start some, and Josh some. Also likely if Duke keeps winning with Amile starting, no change.

CDu
02-01-2013, 01:10 PM
Agree that we should expect to win. But we have to also expect FSU to play their best. And we have to bring our best. If we bring our best, and nothing truly bizarre happens (like our guards shoot 1 for 29), then we should win.

Totally agree with this. As I implied a bit above, I think folks are a bit guilty of seeing "FSU" on the schedule and thinking this is a similar FSU team to year's past. It's not. Defensively, there is just no comparison. Since 2009, here are FSU's defensive rankings (per Pomeroy):

2009: #12
2010: #1
2011: #1
2012: #15
2013: #121

We could certainly lose this game (just like we could lose any ACC game). But unlike recent FSU teams, this FSU team simply isn't good enough to beat us without us helping them out... a lot. We should win. We'll have to play hard to do so, but we should win.

I appreciate K's frankness in the Wake post-presser, when he said, twice, for emphasis, that in the first half of the Wake games, Josh played "very poorly." He then went on to note that Josh over time has also built up "equity, so we put him back in." We all know how Josh made 2 key plays near the end, and, as K noted, Josh absolutely has to make the hustle plays: "... that's what he has to do. He has to do that."

I'll guess that neither Amile nor Josh will care all that much who starts, and that both know how they must contribute for Duke to win on Sat and beyond. Until Ryan returns [I realize there's an optimistic assumption there....], it's possible Amile will start some, and Josh some. Also likely if Duke keeps winning with Amile starting, no change.

I hadn't heard Coach K's comments, but it's nice to see that he was honest about that assessment. It definitely seemed like Hairston was being punished when Murphy came in at PF instead of him midway through the first half. It also appears that maybe he got the message late in the game.

There's clearly a difference in what Jefferson can bring to the table and what Hairston can bring. Jefferson had a rough night against Wake. In that scenario, it is critical that Hairston be a positive presence as a backup. When Jefferson is playing well and racking up the rebounds and points, it's less critical. But Hairston's value is effort and energy, and he has to bring that every time out.

bedeviled
02-01-2013, 02:42 PM
If we bring our best, and nothing truly bizarre happens (like our guards shoot 1 for 29), then we should winThe bizarre happening I would consciously attempt if I were FSU is using my weakness (the inside game) to advantage. Although clearly inferior in the front court, they have lots of size and strength there. I would continue the ACC trend of playing Duke very physically inside and replicate Wake's plan of making Mason earn his points from the FT line (hoping Mason doesn't replicate his Wake FT%). FSU has fouls to give inside. It is documented that refs have a tendency toward evening out the number of fouls called across teams while favorableness is more likely to be given to the home team rather than visitor. If the reffing follows this pattern by calling fouls on Mason instead of our perimeter, this strategy would work well to FSU's favor. The most benefit may be on the offensive end, as we saw in the Wake game.
After all, how many times can Snaer be the face on the 'bizarre card'?!

Olympic Fan
02-01-2013, 02:56 PM
Om response to the earlier question about Pomeroy's projection, I was looking at his site and it struck me that he rates the Duke at FSU game as the fifth toughest remaining game. Surprising (to me at least) he sees Duke's toughest remaining game at Virginia. Here's his ranking of Duke's remaining 11 regular season games (in order of difficulty):

1. at Virginia 67 percent
2. at North Carolina 70 percent
3. Miami 74 percent
4. at Maryland 76 percent
5. at FSU 84 percent
6. NC State 87 percent
7. North Carolina 88 percent
8. at Boston College 89 percent
9. at Virginia Tech 92 percent
10. Boston College 96 percent
11. Virginia Tech 97 percent

While Duke is favored in every remaining game (at the moment), his overall projection is 27-4 (14-4) ... so he's projecting that Duke loses two more games.

Frankly, I think those projections are questionable -- are they based on season long performance -- which includes 15 games with Kelly? If Kelly were healthy and back in the rotation, I'd love Duke's chances of running the table. Without him ... well, let's say, I'd take 27-4 (14-4) as it now stands.

gumbomoop
02-01-2013, 03:09 PM
I hadn't heard Coach K's comments, but it's nice to see that he was honest about that assessment.

Check out Home Page, "One We Missed," for link to Dan Collins's column which includes [scroll down] a transcript of the presser.

And btw, Collins's honest assessment of K's "cantankerous brilliance" might be worthy of a thread all its own -- a long, contentious, possibly cantankerous one. I have no trouble believing Collins's description of the Wake post-presser as "far and away the most contentious post-game of the season." To be clear, Collins's overall take on K may be fairly gleaned from the title of the article [no matter who wrote the title]: "Master at Work."

I much prefer the whimsical-if-sarcastic Master to the chip-on-shoulder/suffer-no-scribe-fools-and-nobocy-else-for-that-matter Master. Idk, maybe Ryan's injury has wound him up.

Collins suggests that readers notice things. Here's a sentence I noticed, both for its critique of angry-K and for its praise of incisive-K: "But notice also, that once I'd given up on getting any consideration or cooperation, Krzyzewski gave me a really good answer. Notice that was the case after several other questions met his disapproval."

Saratoga2
02-01-2013, 03:21 PM
Check out Home Page, "One We Missed," for link to Dan Collins's column which includes [scroll down] a transcript of the presser.

And btw, Collins's honest assessment of K's "cantankerous brilliance" might be worthy of a thread all its own -- a long, contentious, possibly cantankerous one. I have no trouble believing Collins's description of the Wake post-presser as "far and away the most contentious post-game of the season." To be clear, Collins's overall take on K may be fairly gleaned from the title of the article [no matter who wrote the title]: "Master at Work."

I much prefer the whimsical-if-sarcastic Master to the chip-on-shoulder/suffer-no-scribe-fools-and-nobocy-else-for-that-matter Master. Idk, maybe Ryan's injury has wound him up.

Collins suggests that readers notice things. Here's a sentence I noticed, both for its critique of angry-K and for its praise of incisive-K: "But notice also, that once I'd given up on getting any consideration or cooperation, Krzyzewski gave me a really good answer. Notice that was the case after several other questions met his disapproval."

Coach K clearly stated that the Wake game plan was to try to get Mason into foul trouble and that Mason knew it and was avoiding contact to the extend that he could. He picked up offensive fouls which were not the result of him playing tough defense inside. I have little doubt that FSU will also pursue a similar strategy. Perhaps coach K will use a combination of Amile, Marshall and Josh to challenge the inside games of FSU and let Mason have to face a little less pressure. It might result in better defense overall as we won't be as concerned about picking up fouls on our three other inside players.

Kedsy
02-01-2013, 03:33 PM
The bizarre happening I would consciously attempt if I were FSU is using my weakness (the inside game) to advantage. Although clearly inferior in the front court, they have lots of size and strength there. I would continue the ACC trend of playing Duke very physically inside and replicate Wake's plan of making Mason earn his points from the FT line (hoping Mason doesn't replicate his Wake FT%). FSU has fouls to give inside. It is documented that refs have a tendency toward evening out the number of fouls called across teams while favorableness is more likely to be given to the home team rather than visitor. If the reffing follows this pattern by calling fouls on Mason instead of our perimeter, this strategy would work well to FSU's favor.

This is a good point. I agree with those who say FSU doesn't appear to have the horses to beat us (without our helping them out), but if they can somewhat diminish Mason with fouls or by double-teaming, we may be in a little trouble. Because Snaer is a good enough defender by himself to take Seth out of his game.

Last season in two games against FSU, Seth shot 6 for 24 (3 for 12 from three) for an average of 9.5 ppg. They know how to defend him. If Snaer neutralizes Seth and Mason gets smothered inside, then the rest of our guys have to beat them, which is a reasonably tall order without Ryan Kelly. Hopefully they get it done, but I wouldn't say it's anywhere close to a lock.

ChicagoCrazy84
02-01-2013, 03:34 PM
I have also come to realize not to take anything for granted. We all know that with "Duke" across their chests, that comes with a target. Everyone in the ACC circles their home games against Duke as the biggest one so I am going into this game no preconceptions on FSU...or us. Heck, we just saw a very average Stanford team shoot and play lights out against #10 Oregon. They hadn't played anywhere near the way they did the other night all year, and they ended up destroying them, who I think is a legit top 10 team.

With all that said, I do think we win 78-65 pulling away the last 5 minutes.

throatybeard
02-01-2013, 03:38 PM

Are they who we thought they were?

hurleyfor3
02-01-2013, 03:42 PM
Have we ever had a season in which we lost @fsu end well?

Bob Green
02-01-2013, 03:43 PM
If Snaer neutralizes Seth and Mason gets smothered inside, then the rest of our guys have to beat them, which is a reasonably tall order without Ryan Kelly. Hopefully they get it done, but I wouldn't say it's anywhere close to a lock.

In your scenario, whixh i believe is plausible, Quinn Cook and Rasheed Sulaimon will have to step up. I like our offense against FSU's defense. Winning in Talahassee is never easy, but we have more horses than the 'Noles even with Ryan Kelly on the bench in street clothes.

CDu
02-01-2013, 03:45 PM
Om response to the earlier question about Pomeroy's projection, I was looking at his site and it struck me that he rates the Duke at FSU game as the fifth toughest remaining game. Surprising (to me at least) he sees Duke's toughest remaining game at Virginia. Here's his ranking of Duke's remaining 11 regular season games (in order of difficulty):

1. at Virginia 67 percent
2. at North Carolina 70 percent
3. Miami 74 percent
4. at Maryland 76 percent
5. at FSU 84 percent
6. NC State 87 percent
7. North Carolina 88 percent
8. at Boston College 89 percent
9. at Virginia Tech 92 percent
10. Boston College 96 percent
11. Virginia Tech 97 percent

While Duke is favored in every remaining game (at the moment), his overall projection is 27-4 (14-4) ... so he's projecting that Duke loses two more games.

Frankly, I think those projections are questionable -- are they based on season long performance -- which includes 15 games with Kelly? If Kelly were healthy and back in the rotation, I'd love Duke's chances of running the table. Without him ... well, let's say, I'd take 27-4 (14-4) as it now stands.

Those projections are very questionable. For one, they underestimate Miami. Miami has played many of their games this season without one of Scott or Johnson (two of their 4 best players). This includes all of their losses (undefeated with both available). I'd say that that game will be as tough as the game @UVa, and certainly tougher on paper than @UNC.

As for the rest of the schedule, it's pretty light. home games against Va Tech, BC, and UNC are virtual must-wins. I quibble with the game against State being more likely a win than @FSU, though State clearly has struggled on the road so maybe it's not unreasonable. And we should win @BC, too.

I'd say this game should be the 5th or 6th toughest game we have left. That's not saying much, because several members of the ACC are just dogs this year.

CDu
02-01-2013, 03:46 PM
In your scenario, whixh i believe is plausible, Quinn Cook and Rasheed Sulaimon will have to step up. I like our offense against FSU's defense. Winning in Talahassee is never easy, but we have more horses than the 'Noles even with Ryan Kelly on the bench in street clothes.

And Jefferson will have to take advantage of the extra attention being paid Mason (assuming the double-team help comes from the PF spot).

I'd also expect Mason to spend quite a bit of time on the line.

mike88
02-01-2013, 03:51 PM
Those projections are very questionable. For one, they underestimate Miami. Miami has played many of their games this season without one of Scott or Johnson (two of their 4 best players). This includes all of their losses (undefeated with both available). I'd say that that game will be as tough as the game @UVa, and certainly tougher on paper than @UNC.

As for the rest of the schedule, it's pretty light. home games against Va Tech, BC, and UNC are virtual must-wins. I quibble with the game against State being more likely a win than @FSU, though State clearly has struggled on the road so maybe it's not unreasonable. And we should win @BC, too.

I'd say this game should be the 5th or 6th toughest game we have left. That's not saying much, because several members of the ACC are just dogs this year.

Without Ryan, I would be satisfied if we go 7-4. If Ryan comes back mid-Feb, then maybe 8-3. 6-5 or 5-6 wouldn't shock me, based on our road difficulties and the challenges of State and Miami at home.

Bob Green
02-01-2013, 03:53 PM
I'd also expect Mason to spend quite a bit of time on the line.

Which Mason shows up at the Free Throw line? The 8-10 Mason or the 1-5 Mason?

DUKIE V(A)
02-01-2013, 04:01 PM
Are they who we thought they were?

Yes!...Let's not let em off the hook.

Bob Green
02-01-2013, 04:10 PM

Pomeroy is Duke 79, FSU 67.

Duke has opened as a six points favorite in Vegas.

rsvman
02-01-2013, 05:26 PM
I have two pieces of advice for the team, and they are related to each other:

1). Do not let the game come down to a situation in which you have a two-point lead with 15 or so seconds left in the game and FSU has the ball; and

2). In the event that you fail to remember suggestion number one, do not let Snaer take a three from the right wing.

That is all.

Bob Green
02-02-2013, 07:14 AM
Duke is currently a 6.5 points favorite with the over/under set at 143 so Vegas is looking for a score in the neighborhood of 75-68. If I was in Vegas laying down a bet, I would take Duke and the under. Fortunately, I am in Virginia so my hard earned cash is safe. The game results could come down to Duke's ability to stop FSU's leading scorer Michael Snaer. Rasheed Sulaimon will most likely draw that defensive assignment. Snaer is a dangerous shooter but his handle is a bit loose so I really desire to see Duke get up in his grill and pressure him on the perimeter. Whoever is guarding Snaer needs to be on him from the moment he steps across the halfcourt line.

Fish80
02-02-2013, 09:52 AM
Duke is currently a 6.5 points favorite with the over/under set at 143 so Vegas is looking for a score in the neighborhood of 75-68. If I was in Vegas laying down a bet, I would take Duke and the under. Fortunately, I am in Virginia so my hard earned cash is safe. The game results could come down to Duke's ability to stop FSU's leading scorer Michael Snaer. Rasheed Sulaimon will most likely draw that defensive assignment. Snaer is a dangerous shooter but his handle is a bit loose so I really desire to see Duke get up in his grill and pressure him on the perimeter. Whoever is guarding Snaer needs to be on him from the moment he steps across the halfcourt line.

Rasheed and Amile are both quick and fast. Every time the Snaer brings the ball over half court, they should set a trap! A Snaer trap! :D

Les Grossman
02-02-2013, 12:57 PM
anyone have a link to live stats for the game?
thanks very much

Bob Green
02-02-2013, 01:21 PM
anyone have a link to live stats for the game?
thanks very much

Riverside6 provides live stats at his site:

http://www.scacchoops.com/ViewHDGame.asp?hSchedule=14591

FSUcyberpunk
02-02-2013, 01:32 PM
http://www.tomahawknation.com/2013/2/2/3944070/fsu-vs-duke-preview-and-game-thread

Les Grossman
02-02-2013, 02:08 PM
Riverside6 provides live stats at his site:

http://www.scacchoops.com/ViewHDGame.asp?hSchedule=14591

thanks

Les Grossman
02-02-2013, 02:10 PM
awesome
QC hits his first.
When he's on, we win

mapei
02-02-2013, 02:15 PM
Pretty awesome start. I note that FSU fans are booing every foul call. Aren't they the ones that actually got 3 refs suspended for "favoring Duke" at a game a few years ago?

CLW
02-02-2013, 02:18 PM
WOW BIG hay makers to start this one.

arnie
02-02-2013, 02:21 PM
Pretty awesome start. I note that FSU fans are booing every foul call. Aren't they the ones that actually got 3 refs suspended for "favoring Duke" at a game a few years ago?

Great start keep pedal down!

gumbomoop
02-02-2013, 02:25 PM
I think I've noticed before, and just now in this game, that Josh has bad balance. Someone observed on another post weeks back that, for someone who's pretty solid, Josh gets knocked over or falls down pretty frequently. Yes, he does. Balance issue? Footwork? It's puzzling.

DukieInBrasil
02-02-2013, 02:25 PM
Love the hot start, although the fuego is calming down a bit. Still it's great to have a double digit lead in the 1st half. When our defense was forcing turns, we did a great job of scoring on the break. Our half court O was very good at the outset, but has stagnated the last couple of possessions.

Did anyone notice on the opening tip that it looked like Mason deliberately tipped the ball to FSU's backcourt? I remember that prior to the @Wake game, the team had decided they wanted to start on D to make a statement. I wonder if they wanted the same thing today, which it seems like they've gotten.

sporthenry
02-02-2013, 02:27 PM
Great start. First time since Kelly that the team is firing on all cylinders. Defense looks tough, offense is getting shots and hitting them by everyone. Started off as a top 5 team even sans Kelly. But have to keep the intensity up. Crowd seemed ready to get excited at anything after the first run.

mapei
02-02-2013, 02:29 PM
Did not notice that, but like the idea.

Now they have Mason on the bench, where they want him. :(

We've been ou-rebounded since FSU went with the super-tall lineup. And now with Mason out, that's unlikely to improve . . .

Les Grossman
02-02-2013, 02:31 PM
nice tip by Josh

ChrisP
02-02-2013, 02:31 PM
I know we've still got a big lead (23-8 as I type) but I don't like the rebounding or that Mason's on the bench with 2, or the fact that our offense looks so disjointed without MP2 in there. D's still pretty solid. It's 27-10, so I guess I should shut up. ;)

gumbomoop
02-02-2013, 02:32 PM
Josh sure didn't look unbalanced on that nice tip-in.

Les Grossman
02-02-2013, 02:35 PM
offense doesn't look disjointed to me. Steals, plenty of assists, running, all good

DukieInBrasil
02-02-2013, 02:35 PM
Dang it Seth, you call yourself a Sr leader, and yet you are the worst shooter on the team. In this game. By shooting an ice-cold 60% +2-2 3FG. ;-)

Please notice the snark

Les Grossman
02-02-2013, 02:37 PM
shooting 68%

DukeHoo
02-02-2013, 02:37 PM
Good to see some defensive intensity. This is the first time since playing Temple that we look like we wanted to win coming out of the gate.

Les Grossman
02-02-2013, 02:41 PM
Snaer 0 fer 3

ChrisP
02-02-2013, 02:43 PM
offense doesn't look disjointed to me. Steals, plenty of assists, running, all good

You're right - much better. I think it was a couple of possessions where we had an unusual lineup in there where it looked less-than-smooth to me. But it's clicking very well right now. Would love to have seen Murphy pull up and bank it in for an easy two rather than getting the charge by trying to take it all the way in. But, he's a freshman - he'll learn.

Utley
It's the Miami game in reverse (so far he says to avoid a jinx). We're really good when Quinn is on. Nice to see them do it without Mason by and large - and for Mason to get a little rest).

CLW
Took any steam out of the crowd early and have kept the pedal down thus far even with Mason out.

FerryFor50
02-02-2013, 02:45 PM
Bad call on Snaer.

Gthoma2a
02-02-2013, 02:49 PM
If we came out swinging like this against Miami, we would lead the ACC. This has been a great effort, so far.

CDu
02-02-2013, 02:51 PM
If we came out swinging like this against Miami, we would lead the ACC. This has been a great effort, so far.

Well, Miami is a LOT better than FSU, so...

FerryFor50
02-02-2013, 02:53 PM
Well, Miami is a LOT better than FSU, so...

Plus Duke wasn't shooting nearly this well against Miami.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-02-2013, 02:53 PM

Do you mean to suggest that if we came out with a 20 point halftime lead, we would win most games?

I like your logic. :)

Looking GREAT

Go Duke!

CLW
02-02-2013, 02:56 PM
62% from the field and +4 on the glass with Mason out for most of the half. yeah it's going well today. first 5 minutes will be telling to see if the team can come out with the same intensity focus to make sure the Noles know its over.

uh_no
02-02-2013, 02:56 PM
this is, IMO, by far the best half we have played without kelly....and not just because of the lead....spacing is great, defense is strong, taking good shots....

grossbus
02-02-2013, 03:00 PM
Hoping to see a similar second half. That first 20 was sweet!

Phoenix22
02-02-2013, 03:00 PM
Great first half, love the energy and effort. The only negative is that Duke let them score 10 points in the last 3 minutes. Hopefully we can start the second half with the same energy as the first.

TruBlu
02-02-2013, 03:11 PM
It almost seemed that in the limited time that Mason was playing in the first half, we might have been playing some kind of junk defense with Mason playing a one-man zone under the basket . . . or was I imagining that?

Les Grossman
02-02-2013, 03:12 PM
love the intensity

FerryFor50
02-02-2013, 03:13 PM
Best way to stop Snaer from hitting a game winner on you? Beat the snot out of his team so there can be no game winners.

dcdevil2009
02-02-2013, 03:14 PM
Did Leonard Hamilton just pull out his phone?

ChrisP
02-02-2013, 03:15 PM
Best way to stop Snaer from hitting a game winner on you? Beat the snot out of his team so there can be no game winners.

Word.

ScreechTDX1847
02-02-2013, 03:16 PM
Hairston has got to stop shooting outside of the paint. It leads to so many run outs. I also think, literally, I have seen him make one of those in his three year career.

Gthoma2a
02-02-2013, 03:16 PM
Do you mean to suggest that if we came out with a 20 point halftime lead, we would win most games?

I like your logic. :)

Looking GREAT

Go Duke!

I mean to suggest that if we played this hard, we could stop other teams from scoring enough to take us completely out of the game. No matter how well another team is playing, they don't usually get up to 20-30 up, unless you aren't as focused on the game as you needed to be.

Les Grossman
02-02-2013, 03:22 PM
MP II is 1 fer 1.

DukieInBrasil
02-02-2013, 03:22 PM
Hairston has had a couple of good plays being around the basket, but that jumper is just ugly. He's made it in the past but i can't recall but maybe 1 or 2 that he's made this year. It's just not a play this team should look for anymore. Hit him rolling to the hole, or getting Oboard putbacks, but that should be the limit of his offensive game right now

Durham Thunder
02-02-2013, 03:23 PM
Anyone have thoughts on ESPN repeatedly saying we'll have Kelly back "by tournament time"?

Les Grossman
02-02-2013, 03:23 PM
is the way to get MPII going

Durham Thunder
02-02-2013, 03:24 PM
that volleyball play from Cook to Jefferson was sweet

ChrisP
02-02-2013, 03:24 PM
I guess if Josh keeps shooting from 15', he'll EVENTUALLY make one. But man, his shooting touch is...not good.

Les Grossman
02-02-2013, 03:25 PM
16 assists for the team, so far
very nice

dukefan10
02-02-2013, 03:26 PM
When will Hairston learn that the reason he is WIDE open on those 15 ft jump shots is because he has yet to make one the entire year?

ChrisP
02-02-2013, 03:27 PM
Anyone have thoughts on ESPN repeatedly saying we'll have Kelly back "by tournament time"?

My thoughts are A) Which tourney? and B) I don't like hearing that at all.

Of course, some Ryan Kelly is way better than none, so I will take what I can get. But man, I really hope he's back before the end of the regular season so we can re-integrate him to the team.

Les Grossman
02-02-2013, 03:27 PM
Man our backcourt is playing and defending well, today

ScreechTDX1847
02-02-2013, 03:29 PM
Hairston has had a couple of good plays being around the basket, but that jumper is just ugly. He's made it in the past but i can't recall but maybe 1 or 2 that he's made this year. It's just not a play this team should look for anymore. Hit him rolling to the hole, or getting Oboard putbacks, but that should be the limit of his offensive game right now

I'm almost positive Hairston had made only 1-2 in his career but he takes it every chance he gets. Almost always a long rebound and run out. He must knock them down in practice to keep taking them in the game but man I cringe when I see him catch it and he open on the baseline.

arnie
02-02-2013, 03:30 PM
Man our backcourt is playing and defending well, today

Best the backcourt has looked all year. Very little from mason but hasn't mattered. Amile looks sharp

uh_no

seems like it means nobody really knows anything new. anytime between now and march is "by tournament time"

chaosmage
communication. Mason directing traffic, people talking, Cook calling out for passes. Only watched second half so far (was at Apple Store in the first), but that's what I'm seeing more than I have in the last few games.

Leads me to wonder just how much of a vocal leader Ryan really was and how much they miss him. Reminds me of how Grant Hill used to be a leader.

FerryFor50
02-02-2013, 03:34 PM
Not real sure why FSU keeps losing Curry for wide open shots when he's this hot.

ChrisP
02-02-2013, 03:35 PM
Quinn having a somewhat quiet (but awesome) game today. Leading the team in rebounds, 12 pts, 6 assists and only 1 TO.

Durham Thunder
02-02-2013, 03:35 PM
It's Zafirovski time down in Tallahassee!

DukieInBrasil
02-02-2013, 03:36 PM
I'm almost positive Hairston had made only 1-2 in his career but he takes it every chance he gets. Almost always a long rebound and run out. He must knock them down in practice to keep taking them in the game but man I cringe when I see him catch it and he open on the baseline.

He made that shot multiple times in that big win over St Louis (his Fr. year?) and a few times here and there. I agree withe rest of what you say. I really don't think the guards should get him the ball in that spot.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-02-2013, 03:36 PM
I mean to suggest that if we played this hard, we could stop other teams from scoring enough to take us completely out of the game. No matter how well another team is playing, they don't usually get up to 20-30 up, unless you aren't as focused on the game as you needed to be.

Sorry, I was being a bit snarky. I knew what you were referring to and I completely agree. Great intensity today, and great maintenance of a lead.

Go Duke!

Durham Thunder
02-02-2013, 03:38 PM
65% from the field!

Utley
02-02-2013, 03:42 PM
I remember a Saturday game in 2010 when Duke just dominated MD - it was the start of a magical run. Here's hoping history repeats itself.

ChrisP
02-02-2013, 03:44 PM
I remember a Saturday game in 2010 when Duke just dominated MD - it was the start of a magical run. Here's hoping history repeats itself.

Second that sentiment! I was at that game, too - it was AWESOME! Zoubs with a great performance that day.

FerryFor50
02-02-2013, 03:45 PM
I would rest Curry the remainder of the game... This one is in the bag.

Les Grossman
02-02-2013, 03:46 PM
Still at 62% shooting and 19 assists.

uh_no
02-02-2013, 03:46 PM
Second that sentiment! I was at that game, too - it was AWESOME! Zoubs with a great performance that day.

60-20 :)

it was not grevious' casa that day!

arnie
02-02-2013, 03:47 PM

He's fouled out - another tough day. Did he get a rebound?

ScreechTDX1847
02-02-2013, 03:47 PM
We need to give Hairston's minutes to Murphy. I'm not saying Murphy can do great things but I feel like Josh hurts us more than he helps us sometimes. I feel like if he stays dedicated he can get these kinds of minutes next year but the silly fouls, turnovers, missed lay ups and bad shots kill us.

Les Grossman
02-02-2013, 03:48 PM
QC's line 18+6+5 vs only 1 TO !!
This guy has had some really bright moments this season

FerryFor50
02-02-2013, 03:49 PM
QC's line 18+6+5 vs only 1 TO !!
This guy has had some really bright moments this season

And that is with Snaer mostly on him, who is a solid defender.

ChrisP
02-02-2013, 03:50 PM
Sweet, pretty play to AJ for the old-school 3 point play there with about 2 mins to go!

TNDukeFan
02-02-2013, 03:52 PM
There's been no griping here about announcers today? Doris Burke has been really really solid.

FerryFor50
02-02-2013, 03:54 PM
There's been no griping here about announcers today? Doris Burke has been really really solid.

That is because they aren't harping on how many calls Duke gets. Solid win today!

Les Grossman
02-02-2013, 03:54 PM
I like her. Not the most lively talking head, but I've never detected a slant or an agenda.