PDA

View Full Version : MOTM: Duke vs. Wake Forest (Jan 30, 2013)

JBDuke
01-30-2013, 10:15 PM
Who was Man of the Match in Duke's 75-70 win over Wake Forest?

PADukeMom
01-30-2013, 10:18 PM
I want to say Mason but voted for Seth. His 3 was crucial

Grey Devil
01-30-2013, 10:18 PM
Career high. Kept his fouling down in second half.

Seth played great, too, but Mason was the man in this game.

sporthenry
01-30-2013, 10:21 PM
Career high. Kept his fouling down in second half.

Seth played great, too, but Mason was the man in this game.

Agreed. Mason kept us in the game and all of his points were obviously needed. Of course the dagger 3, the Hairston save, and some plays by Amile and Cook were instrumental but 32/9 are some big boy numbers.

-bdbd
01-30-2013, 10:22 PM
Yeah, MP2 scored more points if you just look at the box score, especially with Wake focusing entirely on the perimeter in the first half, BUT WHO LOOKED LIKE A LEADER FOR THIS TEAM DOWN THE STRETCH??? Mason has GOT to work more on his defense (though I concede that block at the end was important, but Wake had to go at him pretty much). Not sure why he disappeared on offense in the last 12 minutes either.

Seth seems like the man the rest of the guys are looking to make something happen with the game tied late.

Newton_14
01-30-2013, 10:23 PM
I don't even see a second option tonight. Without Mason, this is a blowout. Very poor games by several of his teammates, yet when they got him the ball, Mason delivered. 32 points on 15 shots is darn strong. He should have had 40.

Very fortunate to sneak out of there with a win on the back of MOTM Mason Plumlee.

mike88
01-30-2013, 10:25 PM
If we are going to get more road wins, we are going to have to cut down on giving our opponents easy driving lanes to the rim. Mason got beat a number of times, but so did other guys, and we were not in good positions to help. I gave Mason MOTM for his offense, but this was not his finest defensive effort by far.

tbyers11
01-30-2013, 10:31 PM
Wake's game plan was to not double Mason. He responded with the best offensive game of his life. He had a couple of head-scratcher fouls that limited his defensive aggressiveness for most of the game but other than that he had a great game. Leading the fast break with a nice dish to Quinn and 8-10 from the line.

buddy
01-30-2013, 10:37 PM
Mason. I know he played some matador defense in the second half, but he simply couldn't foul out. With Ryan out, there is no other option than for Mason to stay on the floor. Other guys have to help to keep him on the floor. I know he wasn't doubled, but he made them pay. This reminded me of K not doubling Duncan and daring the other guys to beat us. Worked for us. Almost worked for Wake. Other guys have to work harder to create (and make) shots if we get defended this way in the future.

Newton_14
01-30-2013, 10:40 PM
Yeah, MP2 scored more points if you just look at the box score, especially with Wake focusing entirely on the perimeter in the first half, BUT WHO LOOKED LIKE A LEADER FOR THIS TEAM DOWN THE STRETCH??? Mason has GOT to work more on his defense (though I concede that block at the end was important, but Wake had to go at him pretty much). Not sure why he disappeared on offense in the last 12 minutes either.

Seth seems like the man the rest of the guys are looking to make something happen with the game tied late.

Without Mason we get killed. Seth struggled mightily in the 2nd half and should have come out to rest as he was clearly gassed. He missed short jumpers, long jumpers, two 3's in a row in front of the Duke bench, and another on the opposite side. And I am not bashing him. THe kid is playing on one leg with no conditioning. The 3 was the icebreaker, but it wasn't like it was his 3r of 4th make in a row. Mason on the other hand scored 32 points and again played heavy minutes with little to no help inside.

Regarding defense, we have discussed this in other threads, but Mason cannot aggressively defend the paint due to our situation with Kelly being out, Amile and MP3 being freshmen, and Josh being a PF. Mason has to stay in the game for 36-38 minutes for us to have a chance to win. To do that he has to concede baskets at times. Without his running mate Ryan, Mase is on an island all by himself with orders not to foul at all, ever.

When it came to winning time, he changed gears, blocked two shots, altered two others, and helped seal the win.

It sucks but that is the situation we find ourselves in, and I just don't think it fair to criticize Mason for basically doing what he is being told to do.

Again, Seth's 3 was huge, but w/o the play of Mason it would have been meaningless.

bbosbbos
01-30-2013, 10:53 PM
No doubt, MOM should go to Mason.

In this game, our team has become a 2 men show now, MP2 and Curry. The rest can not score but can defend.

Very strange to me is that AJ disappeared in the majority of the game. Only saw him came out at the very end of the game with 2 very beautiful defense.