PDA

View Full Version : Following Duke MBB out-of-region (including Feb 7 game vs NCSU)

awhom111
01-29-2013, 09:51 PM
I know that it is very early, but I like to give people enough notice to see if they need to watch the game online or not.

Here is the list:
http://www.theacc.com/live/2013-acc-basketball-mens-match-center-201.html

Remember that in addition to ESPN3 (except in blackout areas), you can also watch the game online via the ACC website (no idea whether it works outside of the United States). For the ACC network games, you should not need to use any of the streaming websites of questionable legality or anything like that.

awhom111
02-01-2013, 01:24 AM
There was still confusion from the first ACC Network game of the season, so let's try to get everyone squared away and pointed to the right channel if the game is available in their area. If there are any questions, just post where you are trying to watch the game from and how you get your television (antenna, cable, satellite, none, etc.) and I will do my best to help you out.

Here is the blackout map:
http://assets.espn.go.com/espn3/images/2010/blackout/758331.jpg

If you live in one of the areas in black on the map, your only options to watch the game are on a local television station from the list in the first post or through the ACC's website (which had weather-related issues during the Wake Forest game)

If you live in one of the areas in green, you have all available options. Check the list in the first post to see if a local channel will be carrying the game. If you subscribe to ESPN FullCourt, it will also show the game on one of the channels. Online, you can use ESPN3 if your internet or TV provider is part of that service or you can watch on the ACC website.

Again, any questions can be posted and I will try to get you an answer as soon as possible so that you can plan ahead and enjoy the game.

mgtr
02-01-2013, 09:15 AM
I am not affected by this game the way I was with Wake, but I am still concerned why Duke puts up with this. We have to have enough sway with the ACC to prevent mis-schedujling such as Wake, where Florida State bumped us out of Florida coverage. Maybe Duke should start its own network for basketball. However, that would leave all other sports to swing in the breeze, so it won't happen. However, a word of prayer is needed with the conference schedulers.

Onlyduke
02-01-2013, 09:31 AM
I'm really frustrated. I live in NC .... Charlotte area. My son who lives in Virginia has seen more Duke games than I am able to get. I use to see all the games on local Charlotte stations. I'm mad and frustrated!:(

Bob Green
02-01-2013, 09:42 AM
The local station in Norfolk that carried the Wake Forest game, is not listed for State. Oh well, at least Norfolk isn't in the Blacked Out area for ESPN3. It appears the Grandson and I will be watching on the PC. At least I have a large screen monitor.

nocilla
02-01-2013, 10:13 AM
I'm really frustrated. I live in NC .... Charlotte area. My son who lives in Virginia has seen more Duke games than I am able to get. I use to see all the games on local Charlotte stations. I'm mad and frustrated!:(

I am in the minority, but this year is an improvement from my standpoint. Several years ago we got a lot of games on the local stations before espn took over. I don't have espn or fox sports south so I usually have to watch an online stream. The last few years I only got a couple games on regular tv. This year there are 5 games on WRAL plus the ACC tournament.

On a related note; I finally bought a new tv (10 years overdue) and went with an LG smart tv. I can now watch games on the tv by streaming directly from atdee.net or firstrow. From the limited research I did, LG and Samsung were the only ones with a full web browser. I haven't tried the Samsung or any other smart tv but I know it works on my LG. :)

CameronBornAndBred
02-01-2013, 10:17 AM
Same here and I live in New Bern. The only way I could have watched the Wake game was online, but we all know that was a disaster. 2.5 hours from campus and our local stations don't carry the game. Since I have DirecTV, espn3 is not an option and I would have to shell out extra $ for the full court package.

TruBlu
02-01-2013, 10:23 AM

Sorry about your inability to watch the games, but at least you get good newspaper coverage of Duke in the Charlotte Observer:p.

moonpie23
02-01-2013, 10:33 AM
front row sports almost always has the duke game.........just don't click on anything accidently....

also, someone posted in a thread one time about how to adjust your browser to not load or respond to anything that wasn't the actual game window....

i don't remember what to do...

DukieInKansas
02-01-2013, 01:12 PM
The local station in Norfolk that carried the Wake Forest game, is not listed for State. Oh well, at least Norfolk isn't in the Blacked Out area for ESPN3. It appears the Grandson and I will be watching on the PC. At least I have a large screen monitor.

Bob - I don't know your set up, but I was able to hook my laptop to my tv using an HDMI cable and enjoyed watching on a larger screen. Now I just need to remember to reset my sleep setting on the monitor so the whole game will show without having to occasionally move the mouse.

53n206
02-01-2013, 01:46 PM
ESPN, ESPN2,ESPNU and ESPN3. GoDuke, but I think this site uses ESPN3.

pamtar
02-01-2013, 03:22 PM
I got the wake game on MyTV, which I believe is one of the local witn-NBC channels. It was not in HD, which at this point is the visual equivalent of listening to a cassette tape on a single speaker tape deck. For those who stream the game, how is the picture? I've been thinking about buying an adapter to run my computer through the TV but don't know if it's worth the $$.

Im on suddenlink so WatchEspn is OOTQ for me. Anyone know when suddenlink might cave and pay, or rather, let their customers pay for it?

hurleyfor3
02-01-2013, 03:38 PM
Channel 20 in the Denver market usually broadcasts the Saturday ACC Network games, but not the weeknight games. For example, I won't get ncsu in Cameron, but if I want I can watch vpi@unc tomorrow. Which is as good a reason as any to spend the day snowshoeing. (Come on up, Front Rangers, we got a nice dump this week.)

stldukefan
02-01-2013, 04:17 PM
If a game is not available on directv I usually stream the game on ESPN 3 from my Mac to my Apple TV via AirPlay. The picture quality is not great, but it is better than missing the game! Here in St. Louis I am able to watch most of the games as long as they are on an ESPN network.

wacobluedevil
02-01-2013, 04:20 PM
We get most of the games here in Central Texas if they're on ESPN feeds or national networks. Some of the regional networks are sporadic.

Fish80
02-01-2013, 04:26 PM
To get the games on the ACCN, I had to open the wallet and buy the ESPN Full Court package. ESPNU I get with one of the cable packages. The only game I wasn't able to get this year was the game versus Minnesota on AXS TV. Damn that Mark Cuban!

BigWayne
02-01-2013, 04:33 PM
Since I have DirecTV, espn3 is not an option and I would have to shell out extra $ for the full court package.

ESPN3 availability is a function of your ISP, not your TV provider. Are you using DirecTV for internet also?

But you would be blacked out anyway most of the time in New Bern.

53n206
02-01-2013, 05:47 PM
I have always thought that blackouts were supposed to encourage fans to attend the games rather than watch them on television. I can imagine that this concept would affect Duke basketball, or even Carolina basketball attendance. What am I missing?

Seattledukie
02-01-2013, 05:57 PM
Way out of the region, but in Seattle with Comcast cable and internet I stream ESPN3 on the ESPN app. Works great.

sagegrouse
02-01-2013, 06:04 PM
I have always thought that blackouts were supposed to encourage fans to attend the games rather than watch them on television. I can imagine that this concept would affect Duke basketball, or even Carolina basketball attendance. What am I missing?

Not really. Blackouts IMHO are a creature of the television networks and designed to bludgeon local channels to pick up the games. Sometimes, its their overreach is breathtaking: I have had the Raycom network force a blackout here in the Rocky Mtns. -- a bit out of ACC territory, would you say?

sagegrouse

TheRose77
02-01-2013, 06:40 PM
For games not on the teevee up here in CT, I follow on Twitter. Blue Planet, the Chronicle, and others keep up a steady flow of tweets.

Indoor66
02-01-2013, 06:55 PM
For games not on the teevee up here in CT, I follow on Twitter. Blue Planet, the Chronicle, and others keep up a steady flow of tweets.

I use Section 21 (http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/chat/?channelName=Public&sid=4f5df54ecb589ebe259083ed0a6d62b5) to "talk" with other Dukies.

Duke of Nashville
02-01-2013, 08:41 PM
Google TV works great with ESPN3 through Comcast. I watched the Wake game this way.

WiJoe
02-01-2013, 09:38 PM
Help! Hekp!

I am in a suburb of Milwaukee. I have directv. Do not have espn full court. I believe my only option to watch the nc state game is via the ACC Network. Right?

awhom111
02-01-2013, 10:19 PM
I have no idea what the title of this thread will be by the time we get to the day of the game with all of these edits...

I am not affected by this game the way I was with Wake, but I am still concerned why Duke puts up with this. We have to have enough sway with the ACC to prevent mis-schedujling such as Wake, where Florida State bumped us out of Florida coverage. Maybe Duke should start its own network for basketball. However, that would leave all other sports to swing in the breeze, so it won't happen. However, a word of prayer is needed with the conference schedulers.

The issue is that ESPN controls all of the rights. It looks like they are only willing to let Raycom show games in slots where they are not airing ACC games on ESPN channels. The split network coverage is annoying, but the alternative might be a situation where the Duke game is ESPN3 only and the other game is the one chosen for Raycom.

I am a little confused here. You do not get the local Charlotte station that shows ACC Network games or are you just lamenting games moving to cable channels?

Same here and I live in New Bern. The only way I could have watched the Wake game was online, but we all know that was a disaster. 2.5 hours from campus and our local stations don't carry the game. Since I have DirecTV, espn3 is not an option and I would have to shell out extra $ for the full court package.

CB&B, I thought I understood your problem during the last game, but now I do not. I thought that DirecTV in New Bern would give you the local channels from Greenville? Is that not the case? You actually cannot use FullCourt or ESPN3 because you would generally be blacked out based on geography.

I got the wake game on MyTV, which I believe is one of the local witn-NBC channels. It was not in HD, which at this point is the visual equivalent of listening to a cassette tape on a single speaker tape deck. For those who stream the game, how is the picture? I've been thinking about buying an adapter to run my computer through the TV but don't know if it's worth the $$.

Im on suddenlink so WatchEspn is OOTQ for me. Anyone know when suddenlink might cave and pay, or rather, let their customers pay for it?

If you have good internet, both ESPN3 and the ACC network would provide better quality than an SD TV signal. ESPN is the one who prevents individual users from paying for WatchESPN, but I would imagine getting it for all SuddenLink customers will be a subject of their next negotiation. I am waiting for ESPN and DirecTV to get to negotiating myself. WITN means you are in the Greenville, NC area? The NC State game will be on the NBC main station, so hopefully you get a better signal.

NFL blackout encourage attendance. All the other sports use blackouts to encourage TV providers in their claimed area to pick up the channel that show the games. I would guess that ESPN and Raycom agreed to certain blackout rules in their agreement. Otherwise, people would be able to bypass Raycom and they would not end up making money to recoup buying rights from ESPN.

Not really. Blackouts IMHO are a creature of the television networks and designed to bludgeon local channels to pick up the games. Sometimes, its their overreach is breathtaking: I have had the Raycom network force a blackout here in the Rocky Mtns. -- a bit out of ACC territory, would you say?

sagegrouse

So you were blacked out of a FullCourt channel on an ACC Network game or were you blacked out of an out of market RSN on a cable-syndicated game? If the former, then it was supposed to be on a local channel? The blackout would make sense there because they would want you to watch the local commercials and not the FullCourt ones. If it was the latter, then it is a more complicated cost matter.

Help! Hekp!

I am in a suburb of Milwaukee. I have directv. Do not have espn full court. I believe my only option to watch the nc state game is via the ACC Network. Right?

Your only options are online. You can use the ACC website or ESPN3 if you have that through your internet/TV provider.

WiJoe
02-01-2013, 11:18 PM
Thank you, good person!

:cool:

chaosmage
02-02-2013, 01:45 AM
ESPN family of networks out here in Cali. If it's not on one of the channels, it's on the Xbox. I think the only games I've missed are some preseason games.

Point of info, even my wife was ready to throw something at the TV with the crappy transmission by the local network this weekend. Pathetic in this day and age.

fitimi1
02-02-2013, 08:31 AM
I also live in that part of Florida where ESPN3 is blacked out if University of Florida is playing.

The good news that ESPN3 archives all their games, so the next day, one can watch it. That holds true even if game is shown in regular time. Not ideal, but better than nothing and does allow one to go back and see other missed games or to check a controversial play etc.

Last, but not least, patronize one of the local sports bars like we used to have to do for Sunday night Fox games.

I look forward to trying some of the other options.

nmduke2001
02-02-2013, 10:16 AM
I have Directv with the HD package so I have access to AXSTV (Battle for Atlantis) and the ESPN channels including ESPNU. I use Comcast as my internet provider and that gives me access to ESPN3. I watched the Wake game live online and it appears as though the State game will be there as well.

For those that live in an area where your ESPN3 feed is blacked out, have you tried the watchESPN app on your phone or tablet? I watched an entire Duke football game on my phone one day when I was away from my computer and TV. I just checked and the State game is on the list for Thursday. I don't know if they black out the mobile feed as well but it might be worth a try.

burnspbesq
02-02-2013, 10:26 AM
I've been thinking about buying an adapter to run my computer through the TV but don't know if it's worth the $$.

For us, at $99 the AppleTV was a no-brainer. We can put content from our iPads, including WatchESPN and MLB, up on the big TV.

msdukie
02-04-2013, 04:35 PM
If your ESPN3 feed is blacked out, you can stream on the ACCN website. Also if you have Verizon FIOS, BrightHouse/Time Warner , you can purchase Full Court on a per day basis for $16. Everyone should have access to every Duke game either on TV or online regardless of where you live.

Cameron
02-04-2013, 08:42 PM
Here in Ohio I have been fortunate enough to receive every Duke game via Dish Network. So far, there have been 15 games on ESPN, 2 games on NBC Sports, 1 game on CBS, 1 game on AXS.TV, 1 game on NESN and 1 game on the ACC Network (ESPN Full Court).

I don't usually buy Full Court, but this year there are three games on that package (including the second N.C. State game in Cameron), so I decided the $80 half-season deal for the package was worth it. The only other year I bought the package was 2009, so that I could watch Greg Paulus' senior night.

On a related note, Duke vs. Kentucky from the '92 East Regional final is currently on MASN (channel 432 if you have the Dish Network premium sports package).

awhom111
02-06-2013, 09:57 PM
Help is available for those who still need it to find out where they can watch the game.

In the mean time, the ACC Network affiliates for next week's game of some importantce to its respective fanbases are also available:
http://www.theacc.com/live/2013-acc-basketball-mens-match-center-210.html

With the latest ACC ESPN deal, there are no more ESPN blackouts. Those of you who have one of the listed stations available to you can watch either ESPN or your local station (which will have different announcers).

Please note that the game is currently listed as being unavailable for people who have ESPN3 access but no WatchESPN access.

matt1
02-06-2013, 11:24 PM
In Philly, I get weekend ACCN games on The CW (for both basketball and football), but they have their own programming to show during the week. I had no problem with AXS or anything else.

For the Wake game, I watched on ESPN Buzzer Beater, which is the equivalent of NFL Red Zone (I have FiOS, which carries this, but I do not think that many others do). That way, I could see some of it. The problem with that is that it only exists on Wednesdays and Saturdays. Thus, I will have to watch the State game on my computer.

jennja01
02-07-2013, 06:56 PM
Im from the Northern VA area and have Comcast. It seems the NC State game is only available on PPV for $83??? is this possible? If anyone knows another channel up here please post. The same thing happened for the Wake game last week... I hope this isnt gonna be a problem going forward... Ive always been able to get the games up here. Thanks

Zeke
02-07-2013, 07:02 PM
Im from the Northern VA area and have Comcast. It seems the NC State game is only available on PPV for $83??? is this possible? If anyone knows another channel up here please post. The same thing happened for the Wake game last week... I hope this isnt gonna be a problem going forward... Ive always been able to get the games up here. Thanks

streaming on ACCNetwork or ESPN3

rthomas
02-07-2013, 07:08 PM
streaming on ACCNetwork or ESPN3

Is one better than the other or are they the same?

Is there any word on why or who screwed Duke from prime time ESPN? Is the ACC or ESPN or Duke's people the culprit for this mess?

rfaison
02-07-2013, 09:58 PM
Another viewing option: I just discovered that there is an ACC Network app for IOS devices and android as well. I'm happily watching the game now on my iPad. The app is free though it cost $7.99 to upgrade to live video feeds - for the entire season.
:):)

Streaming from the web wasn't working very well. It would keep freezing after a minute or so. Frustrating. The app has been very smooth. Highly recommended!!