PDA

View Full Version : Home Page Picture

Steve68
01-28-2013, 09:38 AM
Can anyone identify the players in the home page picture? It looks like the 1968 team with Mike Lewis jumping center, and Joe Kennedy and Steve Vandenberg at the forwards, but I can't identify the guards. One looks a little like Tim Kolodziej, but he was a forward and that would be a four big-man lineup. The other could be either Ron Wendelin or Dave Golden (or maybe both), but I can't tell for sure. I'm a little cloudy on the Carolina players, but two are probably Charlie Scott and Rusty Clark. Any ideas?

Faustus
01-28-2013, 10:32 AM
If my childhood memory serves me correctly, #44 in baby blue is the malign presence of Larry Miller. Booooooo.

roywhite
01-28-2013, 10:54 AM
Was that photo from the famous Fred Lind game?

Boxscore from goduke.com (http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/games/boxscore.php?gameid=19680302)

UNC starters -- Rusty Clark, Bill Bunting, Larry Miller, Charlie Scott, and Dick Grubar

Tappan Zee Devil
01-28-2013, 03:14 PM
Can anyone identify the players in the home page picture? It looks like the 1968 team with Mike Lewis jumping center, and Joe Kennedy and Steve Vandenberg at the forwards, but I can't identify the guards. One looks a little like Tim Kolodziej, but he was a forward and that would be a four big-man lineup. The other could be either Ron Wendelin or Dave Golden (or maybe both), but I can't tell for sure. I'm a little cloudy on the Carolina players, but two are probably Charlie Scott and Rusty Clark. Any ideas?

Mike Lewis, Steve Vandenberg and Joe Kennedy are pretty clear. The Duke guard on the far side looks very much like Dave Golden. I am not as sure of the fifth, but I think it is Ronny Wendelin. Also the carolina guy between them looks like Bill Bunting.
If it is the Lind game, I am just out of the picture about 6 rows above the carolina bench. Boy that was a long time ago.

Olympic Fan
01-28-2013, 03:48 PM
This is DEFINITELY the Fred Lind game -- Mar. 2, 1968. That was the only year that Miller and Scott played together and the only time they visuted Duke that season.

Although Fred played 31 of the game's 55 minutes, he didn't start. He didn't take this picture either -- somebody in the upper deck took it for him.

That is Rusty Clark of UNC jumping center against Mike Lewis.

At the bottom of the circle, UNC's No. 44 is Larry Miller.

Rotating clockwise around the circle, there is Duke's Dave Golden, Duke's Joe Kennedy, UNC's Charlie Scott, Duke's Ron Wendolin, UNC's Bill Bunting and Duke's Steve Vandenberg. UNC's Dick Grubar started, but is not in the picture -- I guess he's back deep on defense.

To be honest, I'm almost certain about eight of the nine guys I IDed. The last Duke player looks more like the Tim Kolodziej than Vandenberg, but I know Vandenberg started the game, so it has to be him.

roywhite
01-28-2013, 05:56 PM
That was a good UNC team; they went 28-4 and reached the national finals, losing 78-55 to UCLA; they had two outstanding scorers in Larry Miller and Charles Scott.

Also on that team was a future coach in Eddie Fogler and future B1G commisioner Jim Delany.

But that was one of the alltime Duke -- UNC games, and the Blue Devils were victorious that day.

Tappan Zee Devil
01-28-2013, 05:57 PM
This is DEFINITELY the Fred Lind game -- Mar. 2, 1968. That was the only year that Miller and Scott played together and the only time they visuted Duke that season.

Although Fred played 31 of the game's 55 minutes, he didn't start. He didn't take this picture either -- somebody in the upper deck took it for him.

That is Rusty Clark of UNC jumping center against Mike Lewis.

At the bottom of the circle, UNC's No. 44 is Larry Miller.

Rotating clockwise around the circle, there is Duke's Dave Golden, Duke's Joe Kennedy, UNC's Charlie Scott, Duke's Ron Wendolin, UNC's Bill Bunting and Duke's Steve Vandenberg. UNC's Dick Grubar started, but is not in the picture -- I guess he's back deep on defense.

To be honest, I'm almost certain about eight of the nine guys I IDed. The last Duke player looks more like the Tim Kolodziej than Vandenberg, but I know Vandenberg started the game, so it has to be him.

Gotta disagree a little with you Ollie - Starting with Miller and going around the circle, I see Vandenberg (too tall to be Golden and has Vandenberg's hair), Kennedy, Scott, Golden, Bunting and Wendolin

But as I said, it has been a long time and I may misremember appearances. That game was quite an experience.

ricks68
01-28-2013, 08:17 PM
Gotta disagree a little with you Ollie - Starting with Miller and going around the circle, I see Vandenberg (too tall to be Golden and has Vandenberg's hair), Kennedy, Scott, Golden, Bunting and Wendolin

But as I said, it has been a long time and I may misremember appearances. That game was quite an experience.

I gotta go with Tappan on this all the way. I know Tim, and he isn't on the court. Kennedy at forward was much taller than Golden at guard. Besides, they both look the same as I remember them. Vandenberg's hair is a dead giveaway. Wendelin is the toughest because he is facing away, but since he was the shortest, and would logically fit in, it is him. Mike Lewis is Mike Lewis, period.

Thanks for the Carolina ID's, Fan. Boy, did I absolutely hate Larry Miller.:mad:

ricks