PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke at Wake Forest (Jan 30, 2013) Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

JBDuke
01-28-2013, 09:07 AM
Duke travels to Winston-Salem to take on the Deacs this Wednesday, January 30th. The game is on the "ACC Network", which means the local affiliates that have signed up for it. Here's the page on the ACC's site with the info about the game and the list of stations carrying it. (http://www.theacc.com/live/2013-acc-basketball-mens-match-center-193.html) Looks like those of us in the DC area are out of luck.

Note that the game is scheduled to be carried by ESPN3 as well, for those that want to see it and don't have a local station to view it on.

Put your pre-game and in-game thoughts in this thread, please.

Bob Green
01-28-2013, 09:15 AM
Looks like those of us in the DC area are out of luck.

You could always move to Norfolk. :D

This is an important game as the team needs to show it can win conference games on the road.

CDu
01-28-2013, 09:29 AM
Wake is undefeated at home in the ACC with close wins over UVa, BC, and NC State. They have talented veterans in Harris and McKie, and promising-but-inconsistent freshmen in Miller-McIntyre, Thomas, Jones, Rountree, Cavanaugh, and Adala Moto.

We beat them by 18 at home earlier this year. We have to take them seriously, but we should be able to handle them again in Wake. It would be nice to get the 0 out of the road-game win column.

davekay1971
01-28-2013, 09:50 AM
Agreed that this could be a tougher game than we all thought at the beginning of the season. The Joel is a nice home environment for the Deacs, the local Wake fans are avid in their desire to beat us every year, and we've had some tough losses on the road there. Despite our win against Maryland, Wake is not going to be remotely intimidated against us. They'll be encouraged by their home win over State, as well as our road losses.

As always on the road, starting out well and maintaining consistent focus on both ends of the court when the crowd picks up the volume will be crucial. We're starting to get our identity with Ryan on the sidelines, but, on the road, we're going to really need our two seniors to be at their best. Once again, I'd look to establish Mason early, establish defense, and look for an inside-out game to get open looks for Sulaimon and Curry.

jv001
01-28-2013, 10:06 AM
We'll be missing our Wake Killer in this game. Ryan Kelly has averaged around 22 points against the Deacs in his career. Atleast that's what the tv announcers were saying in the first meeting. We'll have to come out with the same energy we displayed against the twerps. McKie hurt us in the last meeting and is a tough match up for us. Amile will probably get that assignment. GoDuke!

COYS
01-28-2013, 10:11 AM
Agreed that this could be a tougher game than we all thought at the beginning of the season. The Joel is a nice home environment for the Deacs, the local Wake fans are avid in their desire to beat us every year, and we've had some tough losses on the road there. Despite our win against Maryland, Wake is not going to be remotely intimidated against us. They'll be encouraged by their home win over State, as well as our road losses.

As always on the road, starting out well and maintaining consistent focus on both ends of the court when the crowd picks up the volume will be crucial. We're starting to get our identity with Ryan on the sidelines, but, on the road, we're going to really need our two seniors to be at their best. Once again, I'd look to establish Mason early, establish defense, and look for an inside-out game to get open looks for Sulaimon and Curry.

We definitely need or seniors to lead, but I think we can also see Rasheed take more leadership on offense. There were a lot of encouraging signs on offense in the Maryland game. Our offense functioned at the highest level in a game without Ryan for the first time in the past two seasons. The defense wasn't as great as it could have been, but I have been far more concerned about our offense than our defense ever since Ryan went down. For a team with championship aspirations, it is difficult to go from having three seniors lead the way to losing our (arguably) best offensive player in Ryan and having Seth at far less than 100%. As good as Rasheed can be, he is still a freshman. The roles of Tyler and Josh are less well-defined when we don't have Ryan's scoring punch as another offensive weapons. Amile and Alex are now forced to play through their growing pains rather than grow into their roles at their own pace. As good as Amile has been (and as good as Alex was against Miami), there is a pretty big drop-off between Ryan and our two freshman. From this perspective, I was really happy to see Rasheed and Amile have strong games. I think we all viewed Rasheed's scoring ability as a nice bonus early in the season, but we really need him to be a consistent threat on offense from this point forward.

A big step for the team will be for Rasheed to lead the way (or co-lead, I should say) on offense from the get-go against Wake. Obviously, he shouldn't force things at the expense of getting Mason the ball and getting Seth open looks, but he needs to keep that extra level of concentration so that he can continue his strong shooting and improved finishing. He is one of our top three scoring threats, now, and needs to put the ball in the basket every game. I'm hoping the Maryland game was the start of a nice little hot streak for Rasheed.

roywhite
01-28-2013, 10:23 AM
Duke travels to Winston-Salem to take on the Deacs this Wednesday, January 30th. The game is on the "ACC Network", which means the local affiliates that have signed up for it. Here's the page on the ACC's site with the info about the game and the list of stations carrying it. (http://www.theacc.com/live/2013-acc-basketball-mens-match-center-193.html) Looks like those of us in the DC area are out of luck.

FWIW, my DirecTV guide for the Greensboro/Winston-Salem area does not show the game on the schedule for Weds. 1/30; however, the local channel guide for channel 48 does show the game on, and the Raycom games are generally broadcast here.

Some local Wake fans think they've got a shot. The young Deacs have played well at home.

UrinalCake
01-28-2013, 10:49 AM
I don't think there are any opponents who we should assume we'll "handle easily." Our formula for winning at home has been creating turnovers to offset poor defensive rebounding, hanging around with the score close for a half until our threes start falling, and giving Mason plenty of touches hoping to get some points and also open things up for the shooters. But our play on the road has been awful, so hopefully the freshmen can start to play like not-freshmen now that they've got a couple road games under their belts. Getting a solid win in the road would be a huge confidence boost to this team.

jcastranio
01-28-2013, 10:49 AM
Factors:

1. We haven't won a road game yet. (And WF did beat NC State at home).

2. Missing Ryan. He has been particularly good against WF.

3. Rasheed and Amile had very good games this weekend. Freshmen can be inconsistent - there is no reliability that they will play at such a high level again against WF.

The game:

We will struggle with the offense for the first four minutes. Wake will hit several threes and the place will be rocking. 16:00 mark - we trail 11-4.

Tyler, after some recent struggles, will hit a key 3 to get us going. A fast break dunk, a put-back - we close the margin. The game is settling in. 12:00 mark - we still trail 16-13.

Seth comes alive for five points. Mason continues to soldier on with points and rebounds - no big numbers, but he keeps the attention of the Wake defense. We tie it and go ahead, but WF gets a second wind. 8:00 mark - we still trail 22-21.

Key segment of the 1st half. Rasheed - scoreless to this point - gets a three, a lay-up, and two free throws. Seth hits another 3. WF contributes several turnovers. A crowd-quieting mini-run. Amile is on the bench with 2 fouls. We get a little breathing space. 4:00 mark - we lead 34-26.

Last part of the half is hard-fought and tactical. Mason playing with two fouls - is cautious, Amile still on the bench. Marshall comes in and provides no points, but lots of energy. Seth, crafty as ever, leads the way with 2 more three-pointers and a layup. Duke leads at the half - 42-36.

Wake is pushing hard to start the half. That plays to their disadvantage, with a few rushed shots and a turnover. Mason and Amile score down low. 16:00 mark - Duke still leads 50-44.

Key segment of the 2nd half. Tyler, Seth, and Rasheed benefit from Mason/Amile scoring inside. Two WF turnovers lead directly to layups/dunks. At the end of the segment, Duke goes into the bonus. 12:00 mark - Duke leads 62-50.

Game management time. Mason and Amile both with three fouls, Josh with four. Quinn Cook, steady and quiet up to this point, controls the pace and ends up with six points and 2 assists during this key time. Wake battles on the boards and scores some threes. Duke maintains. 8:00 mark - Duke 72 -64.

Both teams tired and cold from the floor. Free throws play a key role here. 4:00 mark - Duke 77-70.

Quinn takes total control. He scores just two points, but finds shooters for three assists while milking the shot clock. Mason gets a dunk. Tyler hits two key free throws. WF just cannot bridge the gap. Final - 87 - 79.

Offensive rebounding and an unexpected 9 three pointers keep WF in it at home. Duke is tested but maintains. No one Duke player dominates for the entire game, but each of the four key players have their moments.

Okay, so maybe that is not it exactly - but something like that.

jipops
01-28-2013, 11:35 AM
Lucky for us Wake plays poor perimeter defense. So even with Kelly out our shooters should get some decent open looks. The biggest key will be how well our guys defend. I'd like to see Thornton get some time on CJ Harris. If we can disrupt his offense then the team should be able to take care of business.

mgtr
01-28-2013, 02:32 PM
Factors:

3. Rasheed and Amile had very good games this weekend. Freshmen can be inconsistent - there is no reliability that they will play at such a high level again against WF.

The game:

We will struggle with the offense for the first four minutes. Wake will hit several threes and the place will be rocking. 16:00 mark - we trail 11-4.

Tyler, after some recent struggles, will hit a key 3 to get us going. A fast break dunk, a put-back - we close the margin. The game is settling in. 12:00 mark - we still trail 16-13.

Seth comes alive for five points. Mason continues to soldier on with points and rebounds - no big numbers, but he keeps the attention of the Wake defense. We tie it and go ahead, but WF gets a second wind. 8:00 mark - we still trail 22-21.

Key segment of the 1st half. Rasheed - scoreless to this point - gets a three, a lay-up, and two free throws. Seth hits another 3. WF contributes several turnovers. A crowd-quieting mini-run. Amile is on the bench with 2 fouls. We get a little breathing space. 4:00 mark - we lead 34-26.

Last part of the half is hard-fought and tactical. Mason playing with two fouls - is cautious, Amile still on the bench. Marshall comes in and provides no points, but lots of energy. Seth, crafty as ever, leads the way with 2 more three-pointers and a layup. Duke leads at the half - 42-36.

Wake is pushing hard to start the half. That plays to their disadvantage, with a few rushed shots and a turnover. Mason and Amile score down low. 16:00 mark - Duke still leads 50-44.

Key segment of the 2nd half. Tyler, Seth, and Rasheed benefit from Mason/Amile scoring inside. Two WF turnovers lead directly to layups/dunks. At the end of the segment, Duke goes into the bonus. 12:00 mark - Duke leads 62-50.

Game management time. Mason and Amile both with three fouls, Josh with four. Quinn Cook, steady and quiet up to this point, controls the pace and ends up with six points and 2 assists during this key time. Wake battles on the boards and scores some threes. Duke maintains. 8:00 mark - Duke 72 -64.

Both teams tired and cold from the floor. Free throws play a key role here. 4:00 mark - Duke 77-70.

Quinn takes total control. He scores just two points, but finds shooters for three assists while milking the shot clock. Mason gets a dunk. Tyler hits two key free throws. WF just cannot bridge the gap. Final - 87 - 79.

Offensive rebounding and an unexpected 9 three pointers keep WF in it at home. Duke is tested but maintains. No one Duke player dominates for the entire game, but each of the four key players have their moments.

You do realize that if the game plays out as you structured it, you will be inundated with requests for fortune telling!

TruBlu
01-28-2013, 04:49 PM
As recently as about a month ago, there were radio advertisements for Wake Basketball individual game tickets. The ad said there were home tickets still available "even" for Duke.

I haven't called to see if tickets are still available, but for those of you in the area who are tempted, it might be worth a call to the Wake Athletic Department. Never hurts to have a few more Duke fans in the hostile (obnoxious) arenas.

jcastranio
01-28-2013, 06:33 PM
You do realize that if the game plays out as you structured it, you will be inundated with requests for fortune telling!

Of course, I thought Miami would be a tight game, with Duke overcoming a small halftime lead to win. I was right for 10 minutes.

awhom111
01-28-2013, 09:45 PM

Note that the game is scheduled to be carried by ESPN3 as well, for those that want to see it and don't have a local station to view it on.

You can blame the University of Maryland for your lack of coverage.

ESPN3 will not be available to the people who are here:
http://assets.espn.go.com/espn3/images/2010/blackout/745824.jpg
http://espn.go.com/watchespn/blackout?id=745824

I actually suggest the feed direct from the ACC website for everyone. It always seems to work better for me on my slow connection.

-jk
01-28-2013, 10:40 PM
You can blame the University of Maryland for your lack of coverage.

ESPN3 will not be available to the people who are here:
http://assets.espn.go.com/espn3/images/2010/blackout/745824.jpg
http://espn.go.com/watchespn/blackout?id=745824

I actually suggest the feed direct from the ACC website for everyone. It always seems to work better for me on my slow connection.

From that map, it looks like DC (and it's immediate surrounds) aren't blacked out. I certainly hope that's the case, anyway! Lord knows, there's no reason to black it out when the local affiliate isn't carrying the game.

MD is playing FSU at the same time, and doesn't have the decency to use the Bigger Network. You'd think the ACC network might demote 'em... Alas.

-jk

Fish80
01-29-2013, 08:41 AM
In Connecticut, I can get the game on ESPN Full Court. I think ESPN Full Court will carry a couple more games that are listed as ACC network.

dcar1985
01-29-2013, 08:52 AM
Anybody struggling finding a way to catch the game can always watch it online at firstrowsports.eu

Saratoga2
01-29-2013, 09:04 AM
It remains to be seen whether our outside shooting can do well on the road. We need both Seth and Rasheed to produce. The Wake defense on the backcourt isn't that strong but the hostile crowd also has to be dealt with.

As far as defense is concerned, we played well in our last game. Quinn was very effective and Amile is quickly becoming one of our top rebounders. He is a little light to handle the bangers at this point. One area that concerns me is Mason's defense. Early in the Maryland game, they were scoring against him at will and he was offering little resistance. In the second half he picked it up and was much more effective. Has the coaching staff told him to avoid picking up first half fouls?

It will be interesting to see if Alex gets any burn in this one. Was it injury or lack of defense that really got him back to the bench so quickly against Maryland?

MCFinARL
01-29-2013, 09:08 AM
It remains to be seen whether our outside shooting can do well on the road. We need both Seth and Rasheed to produce. The Wake defense on the backcourt isn't that strong but the hostile crowd also has to be dealt with.

As far as defense is concerned, we played well in our last game. Quinn was very effective and Amile is quickly becoming one of our top rebounders. He is a little light to handle the bangers at this point. One area that concerns me is Mason's defense. Early in the Maryland game, they were scoring against him at will and he was offering little resistance. In the second half he picked it up and was much more effective. Has the coaching staff told him to avoid picking up first half fouls?

It will be interesting to see if Alex gets any burn in this one. Was it injury or lack of defense that really got him back to the bench so quickly against Maryland?

Can't find the post now, but according to the Maryland post-game thread, it was injury--he had tweaked his knee in warmups and when the staff saw him grimacing they pulled him (he later, apparently, reported that the grimace was more about his anger with himself for failing to take a charge than about his knee).

Newton_14
01-29-2013, 11:48 AM

It was definitely injury. After Kelly this year and last, and Kyrie the year before, can't really blame K for being overly cautious. As well as Alex played in the Miami debacle there is no way K would have pulled him that quick for missing one defensive assignment.

DU82 was at the game and stated that Murphy went directly to the trainer to get evaluated.

UrinalCake
01-29-2013, 12:00 PM
. One area that concerns me is Mason's defense.

I wasn't able to watch the game, but Len only scored 8 points. Was mason's defense really that bad?

rsvman
01-29-2013, 12:25 PM
Factors:

The game:

Thank you, Alison DuBois. The game is blacked out in my area, but now that I know exactly how it plays out, it's not that bad. :cool:

vick
01-29-2013, 12:44 PM
I wasn't able to watch the game, but Len only scored 8 points. Was mason's defense really that bad?

He was reasonably effective on Len I thought, but they were able to get a number of close shots without him really contesting it. That said, it might be as Saratoga2 suggests, where he could be under specific instructions to avoid fouls, especially given the Kelly injury. When you look at his game-by-game stats (http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/mason-plumlee-1/gamelog/2013/), his foul rate has fallen pretty dramatically, from 2.9 per 40 minutes pre-ACC play to 1.3 in ACC games (since Kelly was in foul trouble most of the first conference game and was hurt in the second, I think this is a reasonable way to look at it), and hasn't committed more than two personal fouls in the last six games--one of the three in the Maryland game is the technical I believe. So I would suspect he's being very careful on defense knowing how important it is that he remain on the floor given the injury situation and the performance to date of his backups.

jimsumner
01-29-2013, 03:05 PM
I suggest you use your gift on the lottery. :)

Factors:

The game:

camion
01-29-2013, 04:00 PM
I notice that your prescience appears to be limited to 4 minute intervals. That's a sampling rate only slightly higher than Dickie V's. :(

Bob Green
01-29-2013, 04:24 PM
The line opens in Vegas with Duke favored by 12.5 points. No over/under yet.

TruBlu
01-29-2013, 04:38 PM
Anybody struggling finding a way to catch the game can always watch it online at firstrowsports.eu

Be careful not to click on any pop-ups. I clicked one that said that my computer needed a download to watch videos on firstrowsports, and it gave my computer a nasty virus. In addition to not being able to watch the game, it took me many hours of de-bugging. I vowed to never go back there, even if it was the only way to watch a game.

It is possible that it was just a coincidence, but be cautious.

CDu
01-29-2013, 05:12 PM
The line opens in Vegas with Duke favored by 12.5 points. No over/under yet.

It was suggested by another poster (whose name I unfortunately can't remember to give proper credit) that, post-injury to Kelly, the money bet was to bet against Duke (with the spread - not outright) for the first five games after the injury. So far, that strategy would be 3-1 in the four games since Kelly's injury (beating the spread only against Maryland, and losing outright to NC State and Miami). It appears that Vegas may have adjusted, as a 12.5 point spread seems somewhat tame for a Wake team whose only noteworthy win was over a shaky State team.

Or perhaps, given that we "only" won by 18 at home, with Kelly, against Wake, maybe Vegas still hasn't figured it out?

Bob Green
01-29-2013, 06:07 PM
Be careful not to click on any pop-ups. I clicked one that said that my computer needed a download to watch videos on firstrowsports, and it gave my computer a nasty virus.

This is very sound advice as firstrowsports.eu is a very sneaky website. In addition to the pop-ups proclaiming you need to download a plug-in, advertisements continuously pop up, covering the video and say "advertisement will close in 35 seconds" or some such non-sense. You can close those ads immediately as long as you click the proper "X."

I use the website routinely and as recently as last weekend to watch the Senior Bowl, but I echo and double echo TruBlu's warning to be careful.

One specific example from this past weekend, when I first opened the link to the Senior Bowl, I had audio and a banner saying, "Audio Only, download this plug-in for video." Once I located the not so obvious "X," the banner disappeared and the game video appeared.

dukelifer
01-29-2013, 07:05 PM

I am beginning to think that Mason's lack of defense is by design. Duke cannot afford to have him in foul trouble- so if folks get beat or something breaks down- having Mason try to swat or challenge the shot would but him at great risk of fouling out prematurely . He is playing the whole game like he has 4 fouls. Without Ryan, Duke cannot go long stretches without Mason. The pressure D and getting into the passing lanes is more critical to defensive success. Duke has to be more careful down low.

Newton_14
01-29-2013, 07:50 PM
I am beginning to think that Mason's lack of defense is by design. Duke cannot afford to have him in foul trouble- so if folks get beat or something breaks down- having Mason try to swat or challenge the shot would but him at great risk of fouling out prematurely . He is playing the whole game like he has 4 fouls. Without Ryan, Duke cannot go long stretches without Mason. The pressure D and getting into the passing lanes is more critical to defensive success. Duke has to be more careful down low.

Agree. It has become obvious. He never goes for the block unless the odds are greatly in his favor. In the last 10 minutes or so of the 2nd half, he becomes far more aggressive on challenging shots, and even on hedging. K isn't screaming at him, so it must be by design..

cptnflash
01-29-2013, 09:32 PM
This is very sound advice as firstrowsports.eu is a very sneaky website. In addition to the pop-ups proclaiming you need to download a plug-in, advertisements continuously pop up, covering the video and say "advertisement will close in 35 seconds" or some such non-sense. You can close those ads immediately as long as you click the proper "X."

I use the website routinely and as recently as last weekend to watch the Senior Bowl, but I echo and double echo TruBlu's warning to be careful.

One specific example from this past weekend, when I first opened the link to the Senior Bowl, I had audio and a banner saying, "Audio Only, download this plug-in for video." Once I located the not so obvious "X," the banner disappeared and the game video appeared.

Add one more to the warning list for this website. I used it for the first (and only) time to watch the Minnesota game on Thanksgiving day, because it was literally the only option. Unfortunately I was initially fooled into downloading the "required plug-in" and wound up with virus issues.

superdave
01-29-2013, 10:08 PM
I am in DC and just found Duke-Wake on Channel 462 on DISH. It says Espn Full Court, and you have to pay. Just thought I'd pass that along for any other DC area peoples.

Bob Green
01-30-2013, 08:35 AM
The over/under is set at 145 and Duke is now a 13 points favorite so Vegas is looking for a score in the neighborhood of 79-66. The score in the first game was 80-62 so this "prediction" seems reasonable to me. FWIW (not much), in Duke's last four games the over has been achieved.

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-basketball/teams/team-page.cfm/team/duke

CDu
01-30-2013, 08:44 AM
The over/under is set at 145 and Duke is now a 13 points favorite so Vegas is looking for a score in the neighborhood of 79-66. The score in the first game was 80-62 so this "prediction" seems reasonable to me. FWIW (not much), in Duke's last four games the over has been achieved.

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-basketball/teams/team-page.cfm/team/duke

If I were a betting man (and I'm not), I think I'd take the over and Wake with the points (we're 1-3 against the spread the last 4 games). Duke to win, but by less than 13.

roywhite
01-30-2013, 09:02 AM
Strange things can happen at Lawrence Joel in Winston-Salem.

We've seen games where the Deacs get amped up and play great; we've seen some games where they seem outclassed and go quietly to defeat. We've seen some very physical games, and a ton of fouls called, with multiple Blue Devils in foul trouble or disqualified. Heck, even the great 1992 team lost to Wake up here. The Deacs are often a different team at home, and that's been the case this year, too.

I'm worried.

Dev11
01-30-2013, 09:14 AM
Lord knows, there's no reason to black it out when the local affiliate isn't carrying the game.

Tell that to Nationals and Orioles fans in the Triangle.

UrinalCake
01-30-2013, 09:25 AM
Regarding firstrowsports - the popups are very deceiving and often put what looks like an "x" within the advertisement itself, causing you to follow their link. I also had a friend who says he got a virus. And he's a professional software developer, so he knows what he's doing.

Once you click the proper "x"'s to get to the video itself, expand to full-screen mode. That will prevent any more popups from appearing. Also, if you're familiar with virtual machines I really recommend viewing this site from within a guest VM as protection against viruses. The site has been great for letting me watch the games, but "free" comes at a price, so to speak.

dukeballboy88
01-30-2013, 10:17 AM
Jeff Bzd ahhh the coach for Wake was interviewd on channel 2 news last night and he said that his team just had the best week of practice since he's been there. Then he smirked and said we will see.

Wake may come out on fire, so I hope we can match their intensity early. If we do, I think we win this one going away. If we come out cold we may put ourselves in another come from behind role. Hopefully, we can establish Mason early down low and get him and Seth at least 4 or 5 free throws a piece in the first half. A couple free throws early in the game can help get you going.

jv001
01-30-2013, 12:06 PM
Strange things can happen at Lawrence Joel in Winston-Salem.

We've seen games where the Deacs get amped up and play great; we've seen some games where they seem outclassed and go quietly to defeat. We've seen some very physical games, and a ton of fouls called, with multiple Blue Devils in foul trouble or disqualified. Heck, even the great 1992 team lost to Wake up here. The Deacs are often a different team at home, and that's been the case this year, too.

I'm worried.

Count me in the worried camp as well. We've set a trend in not coming out and not playing tough hard in your face Duke basketball. 'When we do that we're inviting the other team to get confidence in themselves. Then we're in a dog fight the rest of the game. Like roywhite said, Wake plays way better in Lawrence J.C. More than likely it will be the same starting lineup for this game. Get Mason the ball early and often. I look for a 11 point win for Duke! GoDuke!

moonpie23
01-30-2013, 12:29 PM
Tell that to Nationals and Orioles fans in the Triangle.

i'll tell em....what are their numbers
?

the situation
01-30-2013, 12:38 PM
I am a Time Warner subscriber in NYC. Per my initial review, I could not locate tonight's game against Wake Forest among my channel listings. Does anyone know if Time Warner is televising tonight's game? If not, is there a service provider that will be televising the game? Need to evaluate my watering hole options. Thanks in advance for your insights.

Fish80
01-30-2013, 12:52 PM
I am a Time Warner subscriber in NYC. Per my initial review, I could not locate tonight's game against Wake Forest among my channel listings. Does anyone know if Time Warner is televising tonight's game? If not, is there a service provider that will be televising the game? Need to evaluate my watering hole options. Thanks in advance for your insights.

ESPN Full Court. Any good sports bar should have it.

Dev11
01-30-2013, 01:00 PM
i'll tell em....what are their numbers
?

Well I was one a couple years ago but now I'm that Nationals fan in Denver.

ChillinDuke
01-30-2013, 01:39 PM
Did anyone mention what channel the game is on in NYC? I just realized I forgot to check my cable box and now have no idea to leave work and go home or go to a bar.

Many thanks.

- Chillin

94duke
01-30-2013, 01:47 PM
Did anyone mention what channel the game is on in NYC? I just realized I forgot to check my cable box and now have no idea to leave work and go home or go to a bar.

Many thanks.

- Chillin

There was a post with this info earlier, but it has dropped to page 3.

ACC-Network-Affiliates-for-Wake-Forest-Game (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?30315-ACC-Network-Affiliates-for-Wake-Forest-Game)

cptnflash
01-30-2013, 07:28 PM
Game is also available on ESPN3, for those that don't mind watching on a PC monitor.

Should be a relatively easy win, Wake is not good at all. Let's go Duke!

riverside6
01-30-2013, 07:51 PM
Live tempo-based stats for Wake/Duke, starters posted...

http://www.scacchoops.com/ViewHDGame.asp?hSchedule=14587

Newton_14
01-30-2013, 07:59 PM
Game is also available on ESPN3, for those that don't mind watching on a PC monitor.

Should be a relatively easy win, Wake is not good at all. Let's go Duke!

Dude, seriously, when will you learn to stop tempting fate? We are not the 27 Yankees and Wake is not chopped liver. They did beat a fully healthy NC State team that handled us a week earlier.

Aside from taunting the basketball gods you are not being anything close to realistic anyway.

I expect a tough, hard fought game, where Duke needs to play well to win. We also need to shoot the ball well, rebound, and defend.

gotoguy
01-30-2013, 08:04 PM
Dude, seriously, when will you learn to stop tempting fate? We are not the 27 Yankees and Wake is not chopped liver. They did beat a fully healthy NC State team that handled us a week earlier.

Aside from taunting the basketball gods you are not being anything close to realistic anyway.

I expect a tough, hard fought game, where Duke needs to play well to win. We also need to shoot the ball well, rebound, and defend.

We'll be lucky to win the way I see it, but as I graduated in 76, I'm never too optimistic

moonpie23
01-30-2013, 08:05 PM
Let's go duke!!!!!!

Ggallagher
01-30-2013, 08:06 PM
If you're in the Cincinnati area and have Cincinnati Bell internet service, they're broadcasting the game on their ESPN3 channel.

CLW
01-30-2013, 08:12 PM
Amile got the quick benching and Josh gets blocked and his man gets a layup at the other end. Slow start.

davekay1971
01-30-2013, 08:13 PM
Wake gets all the calls!

DukeBlueHeart4
01-30-2013, 08:14 PM
Anyone know of any sites streaming besides FirstRow? it's still not up!

BlueDevilBrowns
01-30-2013, 08:16 PM
Amile got the quick benching and Josh gets blocked and his man gets a layup at the other end. Slow start.

not surprising unfortunately.

CLW
01-30-2013, 08:22 PM
murphy getting some burn at the 4 Coach clearly isn't happy with the performance from Josh and Amile thus far.

arnie
01-30-2013, 08:25 PM
not surprising unfortunately.

Hopefully that's all of him we'll see tonight

weezie
01-30-2013, 08:25 PM
Aaargh how many times the loose ball?

jipops
01-30-2013, 08:27 PM
Defense continues to be awful. Going to be tough to get an ACC road win at all like this.

I'd say the over is safe in this one.

CLW
01-30-2013, 08:29 PM
amile fouls a 3 point shooter on the same possession and gets called the 2nd time.

Ultrarunner
Anyone know of any sites streaming besides FirstRow? it's still not up!

We probably won't have streaming until after the Superbowl. Goes down every year about this time.

Furniture
I have noticed this before but tonight two or three times that Alex is wide open and doesn't get the pass....

BlueDevilBrowns
01-30-2013, 08:31 PM
its going to be a revolving door at the 4 spot until the 2nd half when sheed comes back in. we'll go small with tt.

CLW
01-30-2013, 08:31 PM
there is a really lackadaisical effort on the defensive end apparently we believe we can just outscore Wake tonight. Wake keeps shooting 75% its going to be a LONG night.

jipops
01-30-2013, 08:32 PM
Any possibility of getting a stop in this game?

DukieInBrasil
01-30-2013, 08:32 PM
why the terrible defense? Wake is shooting over 71% on us so far, that's pathetic defense right there.

CLW
01-30-2013, 08:34 PM
we MAY need all of Mason's 100 points tonight with the warm up jumpers we are allowing on D. it should be interesting to see if K goes with 4 guards and Plumlee b/c Amile, Josh, Murphy have all looked a bit lost.

arnie
Hopefully that's all of him we'll see tonight

And he continues to kill us with an offensive foul

pfrduke
Wake's hit a bunch of jump shots. If we keep having them shoot those shots, we'll be fine. They're not going to hit 70% of their jumpers all game. If they do, more power to them - there's not a lot we can do about that. Keep forcing them to shoot jumpers - that's a good defensive game plan.

pfrduke
And he continues to kill us with an offensive foul

That was Seth's fault - he went before the screen got there.

Philadukie
01-30-2013, 08:35 PM
Wake shooting 75% from the field. That can't be sustained.

I'm surprised to see how well Devin Thomas is playing. He went to a local high school here (CD East) in central PA. He was very good (everyone locally talked about him), but not a world beater. Never led his team to a state championship. He was a two star recruit, I think. I was curious how he would play in the ACC. Last couple of games he's been playing quite well (25 against NC State). Small sample, but goes to show how recruiting is an uncertain science.

gumbomoop
01-30-2013, 08:36 PM
To put it as humanely and constructively critical as possible, Josh does not let the game come to him.

Next play, for sure; and different play, preferably.

BlueDevilBrowns
01-30-2013, 08:37 PM
they don't seem to be communicating or moving on defense. i would almost say drop into a matchup zone at this point but that will never happen as that would require even more talking and communication, of which we appear to have none right now.

jipops
Worst 3pt shooting team in the conference is 3-5 right now. Not sure if we can guard a div1 team on the road.

CLW
and technical difficulties via ESPN 3. love me some internet basketball action.

Bluedog
To put it as humanely and constructively critical as possible, Josh does not let the game come to him.

I agree, but that moving screen was Seth's fault. He started his move too early and didn't let Josh get set. "Technical difficulties"! blah!@!....

theAlaskanBear
01-30-2013, 08:38 PM
Asheville area-- the game feed just dropped -- still showing weather warnings, but the rest of the screen is black. Anyone else?

wtm001

same with WRAL

BlueDevilBrowns
um, channel 48 in greensboro just died i think. angry noises!!!!!

FerryFor50
Can't blame Hairston for the foul - was a pretty borderline call. I see way worse not called every game I watch.

Both teams shooting over 65%. That won't continue.

theAlaskanBear
01-30-2013, 08:39 PM

Its not ESPN3 -- game is out on local cable network as well. !@&#$

CLW
same with WRAL

well according to the ESPN box score nothing has happened. Power outage in Winston Salem?

Furniture
No broadcast...

grossbus
ESPN has lost the feed. :mad:

"well according to the ESPN box score nothing has happened. Power outage in Winston Salem?"

if they lost the feed, the score update probably isn't happening either.

back on

DukieInBrasil
01-30-2013, 08:40 PM

Ever since the calendar turned to 2013, this team doesn't seem to come out of the gates with anything approaching adequate defense. In the game that we got destroyed in (Miami), our D was actually ok for about 10 minutes and then fell apart completely. Otherwise, we've looked lackadaisical for most of the 1st half in almost all of our games in 2013.

arnie

It's the raycom broadcast. Guess the truck blew over

CLW
and we are back...

Furniture
01-30-2013, 08:41 PM
Lost the feed and now we are up....
What happened

CLW
and we have the lead. Perhaps I should just stare at a blank 27" CPU screen. :confused:

Cameron
So I just stopped breathing for a full 90 seconds. Luckily, Dish Network got that problem figured out or I would probably have suffocated. The game is back on.

FerryFor50
01-30-2013, 08:43 PM
Another borderline foul, this time on Jefferson. Grr.

BlueDevilBrowns
01-30-2013, 08:44 PM
It's the raycom broadcast. Guess the truck blew over

maybe mike hogwood spilled his cookout milkshake on the computers in the control van.

Bluedog
01-30-2013, 08:46 PM
I love what Mason is doing, but...is it just me or does he simply stop playing defense and let his man take any shot he wants? Probably playing conservatively on D per advice from K as we can't afford him to get in foul trouble so he doesn't guard his man very tight, but it's a bit frustrating to watch for me. Obviously, Mason can be a solid defender in the post as he showed earlier in the season. He's been called for two offensive fouls though, so he's certainly aggressive on one end of the floor.

-bdbd
ESPN back.
Duke not playing poorly, but Wake hitting great shots and getting most of the calls. MP2 having a big game with Wake guarding the perimeter tightly.

CLW
Another borderline foul, this time on Jefferson. Grr.

couldn't really see it now my feed on ESPN3 is grainy and i couldn't really see what (if anything) lead to the call. i couldn't even tell it was on amile until the announcer said it was his 2nd.

jipops
01-30-2013, 08:47 PM
Ever since the calendar turned to 2013, this team doesn't seem to come out of the gates with anything approaching adequate defense. In the game that we got destroyed in (Miami), our D was actually ok for about 10 minutes and then fell apart completely. Otherwise, we've looked lackadaisical for most of the 1st half in almost all of our games in 2013.

We did hold Clemson to 10 points in a half... With Kelly.

dukelifer
01-30-2013, 08:47 PM
Not sure I understand why teams are shooting lights out against Duke when Duke is on the road. The D needs to be more intense

UrinalCake
01-30-2013, 08:48 PM
I feel like its about 1997, as I have resorted to watching the game cast updates. No Internet feed anywhere. Oh, the humanity!

CLW
couldn't really see it again but that looked to be pretty cheap call on mason.

BlueDevilBrowns
perhaps it's time to switch to radio only. high winds building a big lead right now.

UrinalCake
01-30-2013, 08:51 PM
Textual information seems to indicate Rasheed is having a huge impact since coming back in

vick
01-30-2013, 08:54 PM
couldn't really see it again but that looked to be pretty cheap call on mason.

It was a pretty clear (and silly) push off I thought.

Also, if the box score is right, during the TV outage I missed the first non three-point field goal for Tyler after eight games (with 159 minutes played) of nothing but threes and free throws.

FerryFor50
01-30-2013, 08:54 PM
Glad Murphy challenged that dunk attempt instead of trying to take a charge. Not in the mood for another Duke player getting posterized.

sporthenry
01-30-2013, 08:55 PM
Glad Murphy challenged that dunk attempt instead of trying to take a charge. Not in the mood for another Duke player getting posterized.

Not only that, but makes them earn it at the line. I've only seen a handful of charges caused on the fast break compared to probably a 100 block calls and they usually result in a 3 point play opportunity.

jipops
Curry so good at getting his shoulder by the defender. Defense seems to have picked up some

jcastranio
Murph is playing well tonight

jacone21
01-30-2013, 08:56 PM
I think Curry should start wearing a red practice jersey like quarterbacks wear. He makes a play and guys come over to chest bump him and he's like "Bro... easy."

FerryFor50
Not only that, but makes them earn it at the line. I've only seen a handful of charges caused on the fast break compared to probably a 100 block calls and they usually result in a 3 point play opportunity.

Yep. Agreed.

cptnflash
I feel like its about 1997, as I have resorted to watching the game cast updates. No Internet feed anywhere. Oh, the humanity!

It's on ESPN3.

sporthenry
01-30-2013, 08:57 PM
40 points on offense - good
40 points on defense - bad

UrinalCake
01-30-2013, 08:57 PM

Yeah, I've never been a fan of the fainting goat defense. Even when it works, it feels weak.

BlueDevilBrowns
01-30-2013, 08:58 PM
just terrible defense in this game. looks like its up to curry, cook, and mp2 to outscore wake in the 2nd half.

UrinalCake
01-30-2013, 08:58 PM
It's on ESPN3.

Blacked out in my area. Tried using a free VPN so it would appear I'm somewhere else, but that was based out of the US where espn3 is completely unavailable. (Shakes fist)

CLW
01-30-2013, 08:59 PM
wake shoots 54% in the 1st half. we need to turn up the intensity/focus on D and just give mason the ball EVERY trip down the floor b/c wake has rarely doubled him and Mason is just owning the wake bigs.

arnie
01-30-2013, 09:01 PM
just terrible defense in this game. looks like its up to curry, cook, and mp2 to outscore wake in the 2nd half.

Team continues to underperform. Wake simply isn't very good and we're just not able to get stops.

-bdbd
01-30-2013, 09:01 PM
Again, I don't feel like Duke is playing poorly, but Wake is getting lots of close calls and hitting "lights out."

Am not feeling all of that uncomfortable so far, as I doubt Wake can keep this up. Expect Duke to come out in the second half firing hard on defense. Need some stops here.

Durham Thunder
01-30-2013, 09:03 PM
Im at the charlotte motor speedway without tv. I really dont like seeing us TIED with wake!

Channing
01-30-2013, 09:04 PM
Once mp2 went out cook and.curry decided to stop passing. Would have liked.to.see Murphy or.even mp3 get a touch.

Our d needs to step up. Its been miserable.

sporthenry
Team continues to underperform. Wake simply isn't very good and we're just not able to get stops.

Wake has beaten UVA and NC State at home. Duke already beat Wake at home with Kelly by 18. It was expected to be a closer game.

BlueDevilBrowns
wake shoots 54% in the 1st half. we need to turn up the intensity/focus on D and just give mason the ball EVERY trip down the floor b/c wake has rarely doubled him and Mason is just owning the wake bigs.

intensity just not there except for murphy. the silver lining is duke's shots have been all at the rim while wake has been mostly making jump shots and 3's. the level of difficulty being much higher, odds are they'll start to miss at some point.

DBFAN
01-30-2013, 09:06 PM
I would live to think our D will be better in the second half but it is what it is We just can't get any pressure on the ball been that way for several weeks now. I hate trying to out score an opponent on their home court. Especially one that has nothing to lose only something to gain. But I honestly don't know what else they can do. I was hoping we could make them submit to our gameplan but it ain't happening. It just really feels like the team isn't getting any better. I would so love to be wrong about this so feel free to talk smack to me if we come out and dominate

jipops
Well our defense pretty much stinks. Going to be a another 1st round exit unless that drastically improves...

If we drop this game, are we staring at a 9-9 ACC record?

sporthenry
Silver lining, Mason seems to be back on his game even against a weaker opponent going 8-10 for 19 points in 1 half. And Seth is playing good creating his own shot which has been missing this year.

gumbomoop
01-30-2013, 09:07 PM
Not sure I understand why teams are shooting lights out against Duke when Duke is on the road. The D needs to be more intense

I'd guess it's a matter of confidence, at least partly a function of a perhaps widespread belief that Duke is "soft," especially on D. Any team that has several good ball handlers is dangerous, and Duke's on ball pressure - a sort of intense counter-assertion that Duke is not "soft" - can be exploited by good handle. Penetration and kick-out can work if shooters are confident.

I'm guessing.

DBFAN
01-30-2013, 09:08 PM
Also it wouldn't be the first time most of our starters fouled out in WS

CLW
01-30-2013, 09:09 PM
what kind of connection is necessary for a decent espn3 feed? I was getting a pretty good picture quality until the first "technical difficulties" when it came back its been grainy and it even says its the lowest video quality.

uh_no
01-30-2013, 09:09 PM
intensity just not there except for murphy. the silver lining is duke's shots have been all at the rim while wake has been mostly making jump shots and 3's. the level of difficulty being much higher, odds are they'll start to miss at some point.

you don't score 40 points without any intensity.....I'm not sure what you're seeing that would make you say that, especially since you then turn around and say that we're forcing them into a ton of tough shots and they're making some of them

the fact is:

our defense is simply not as good with kelly (it's something astounding like .15 ppp worse)....and they're making some good shots, and that keeps them in the game.

dukelifer
01-30-2013, 09:10 PM
I'd guess it's a matter of confidence, at least partly a function of a perhaps widespread belief that Duke is "soft," especially on D. Any team that has several good ball handlers is dangerous, and Duke's on ball pressure - a sort of intense counter-assertion that Duke is not "soft" - can be exploited by good handle. Penetration and kick-out can work if shooters are confident.

I'm guessing.

40 pts is ridiculous. 54% is too high. The D needs to rev up in the second half

Cameron
01-30-2013, 09:10 PM
What's going on with the video feed?

cptnflash
01-30-2013, 09:11 PM
you don't score 40 points without any intensity.....I'm not sure what you're seeing that would make you say that, especially since you then turn around and say that we're forcing them into a ton of tough shots and they're making some of them

the fact is:

our defense is simply not as good with kelly (it's something astounding like .15 ppp worse)....and they're making some good shots, and that keeps them in the game.

If nothing else, I hope Ryan's absence makes everyone realize how good he has become as a defensive player.

dukelifer
01-30-2013, 09:13 PM

There is bad weather in NC

FerryFor50
01-30-2013, 09:14 PM
Mason has really stepped up tonight. Loving it!

sporthenry
01-30-2013, 09:16 PM
Mason has really stepped up tonight. Loving it!

Agreed. Also loving the intensity he is showing. Hopefully he can stay out of foul trouble. The one offensive foul with the forearm was pretty weak.

grossbus
01-30-2013, 09:17 PM
anybody else getting terrible video quality since the outage?

BlueDevilBrowns

the fact is:

just my opinion, but i felt, defensively, they were playing passive. I don't think great defense is why they took jump shots. they took those shots because they were open. perhaps you now notice the difference this half in effort, hence the lead for duke.

FerryFor50
Agreed. Also loving the intensity he is showing. Hopefully he can stay out of foul trouble. The one offensive foul with the forearm was pretty weak.

So was the hook foul.

Cameron
01-30-2013, 09:18 PM
There is bad weather in NC

Thanks. I heard the announcers say that, but I am always confused when ESPN Full Court coverage all of a sudden dials into ESPN Radio. There is never any temporary scoreboard put up or anything and you have no idea what is going on.

CLW

i dunno its odd. i switched to my laptop in the 2nd half on a wireless (not wired like my desktop) and the picture quality has improved. went back to check my desktop and nope still bad feed. :confused:

Bluedog
anybody else getting terrible video quality since the outage?

Mine is pretty good...No difference from before for me.

DukieInBrasil
it's nice to see this team really come out of the gates in the 2nd half with great intensity and taking advantage of one of the "magical" 5-minute stretches.

davekay1971
Also it wouldn't be the first time most of our starters fouled out in WS

The first 10 minutes of the game reminded me of the ugly performance at Wake (I think it was in 2008...) when most of our starting lineup fouled out.

CLW
01-30-2013, 09:21 PM
amile with ANOTHER silly foul.

jwillfan
01-30-2013, 09:23 PM
Too much one on one, dribbling w/o a pass. Granted most of the time it's been going in tonight but that last one was a serious force. Gotta be someone waiting on the wing for an open 3 - find him!

CLW
01-30-2013, 09:24 PM
would like to just see us give the ball to mason on the blocks every trip down the floor for the next 10 possessions and put this game away.

sporthenry
01-30-2013, 09:24 PM
So was the hook foul.

He did hook him. I don't mind that call too much as long as its consistent and seems to be some sort of emphasis this year.

IBleedBlue
01-30-2013, 09:25 PM
Too much one on one, dribbling w/o a pass. Granted most of the time it's been going in tonight but that last one was a serious force. Gotta be someone waiting on the wing for an open 3 - find him!
If others can score, he would pass. Someone besides mason, curry and cook needs to score. Rest of the team has 4 points.

FerryFor50
01-30-2013, 09:26 PM
He did hook him. I don't mind that call too much as long as its consistent and seems to be some sort of emphasis this year.

He did, but it was minor and did not create any advantage. He had already beaten him.

davekay1971
01-30-2013, 09:27 PM
If others can score, he would pass. Someone besides mason, curry and cook needs to score. Rest of the team has 4 points.

We know Sheed's streaky. Hope he sees one go through the hole and gets a couple 3s down the stretch.

davekay1971
01-30-2013, 09:28 PM
Wow. I'm not sure how Cook getting body slammed by 2 Wake guys at the halfcourt wasn't a foul.

FerryFor50
01-30-2013, 09:29 PM
Mason is unstoppable tonight!

CLW
01-30-2013, 09:30 PM

yeah Wake has no answer. need to feed the beast on the block every time down the floor.

dukelifer
01-30-2013, 09:32 PM

But can't play D. Wake is scoring at will

noworries
01-30-2013, 09:33 PM
anyone else just get switched to some tv show??? pissed

jipops
Just get some stops!!!!!

FerryFor50
Marshall is in for mason to help stop some of those easy layups mason has had to back off from due to foul trouble.

Would love to see them both in at the same time...

CLW
01-30-2013, 09:34 PM
no mason no curry this could get UGLY on the offensive end. Wake still shooting 52%

FerryFor50
01-30-2013, 09:34 PM
Wow, did Marshall even touch that guy on the charge? Jeez.

BlueDevilBrowns
01-30-2013, 09:35 PM
you could see that charge coming from a mile away!

DukieInBrasil
our offense has certainly been effective, especially Mason. However, our defense is still suspect. That worries me plenty. We haven't been able to get any separation and Mason's low-block efficiency may be partly b/c they've decided to not challenge down low, Wake has very few fouls.

sbroc012
Ridiculous...can't do anything on either end without a whistle!

cptnflash
I will say this, Wake's game plan is very sound. They will gladly let Mason score 30+ if that's what it takes to prevent us from shooting 3's. They're giving us a much better game than I expected, although their unsustainably high first half field goal percentage has made the score closer than the game has really been.

IBleedBlue
01-30-2013, 09:36 PM
Actually, I think it was a good call. Marshall looked like he didn't know what to do with the ball after he caught it. He was a step away from being able to do a hook shot. So, he tried to just drive and the defenders feet were set by that time. It was a good call.

arnie
01-30-2013, 09:36 PM

Yes but with Tyler Marshall and h in the game at same time, where does the O come from? Don't like that lineup

FerryFor50
01-30-2013, 09:37 PM
Actually, I think it was a good call. Marshall looked like he didn't know what to do with the ball after he caught it. He was a step away from being able to do a hook shot. So, he tried to just drive and the defenders feet were set by that time. It was a good call.

The defender had position but just fell as soon as he felt Marshall's breath. Same thing people accuse Duke of.

davekay1971
01-30-2013, 09:38 PM
Time for our 3 foul guys to start picking up the defensive intensity again. 11 minutes left, so if one of them gets a fourth foul, they won't need to sit very long. But what we need to see is better prevention of the entry pass. That's all on our perimeter guys.

chaosmage
01-30-2013, 09:38 PM
In addition to my frustration with the feed from "accland/raycom" via Xbox to Cali, the refs keep slowing the game down because apparently it's time for them to be the stars.

It's very hiccupy for me, so we've lost some of the game, but am I missing something? Or are the refs really calling the game that tight??!

GRRRRRR!!

FerryFor50
01-30-2013, 09:40 PM
In addition to my frustration with the feed from "accland/raycom" via Xbox to Cali, the refs keep slowing the game down because apparently it's time for them to be the stars.

It's very hiccupy for me, so we've lost some of the game, but am I missing something? Or are the refs really calling the game that tight??!

GRRRRRR!!

It's spotty and inconsistent, in terms of calls.

But hard to judge since there has been so little defense played by both teams.

Channing
01-30-2013, 09:40 PM
Cook not making great decisions tonight

FerryFor50
01-30-2013, 09:42 PM
Another shaky illegal screen call - but at least it was on Wake.

Durham Thunder
Win a road game devils!

CLW
mason sure is worried about that 4th foul thats allot of layups on the defensive end and we have stopped going to him on the blocks on the offensive end. :confused:

cptnflash
Mason: If you can't afford to foul, you can't afford to gamble. That's twice now. We get that you have to play conservatively on defense. But apparently you don't get it all the way just yet.

noworries
What is Mason's deal on the defensive end?

gumbomoop
01-30-2013, 09:43 PM
Mason and the Pips in.

BlueDevilBrowns
01-30-2013, 09:43 PM
silly foul by tt. about a 6 point swing last minute.

jipops
01-30-2013, 09:44 PM
Our guys playing horrible has nothing to do with the refs folks. Feels deflating watching this.

CLW
well with BAD defense we have turned it into a 8 min game. 50/50 we lose this one to a bad wake club.

FerryFor50
Sigh. 50% FT shooter knocks them both down. Tie game.

dukelifer
01-30-2013, 09:45 PM
Sigh. 50% FT shooter knocks them both down. Tie game.

Duke has let them back in. It is anybody's game now

slower
01-30-2013, 09:45 PM
This may just be what the rest of the season looks like, until/unless Ryan returns.

Channing
01-30-2013, 09:46 PM
silly foul by tt. about a 6 point swing last minute.

I see this as a recurring theme. Tt reminds.me.of asante Samuel. Lots of gambles.that occasionally yield a ggood play but more often yield him getting beat and looking around to blame someone else.

grossbus
lately, tyler drives me crazy. lots of negatives.

-bdbd
Wake up by 2 with under 8 minutes, but Curry going to line for 3 after the TV timeout.

Sure would like to see some aggressiveness from Duke on D, and attacking the basket. Who for Duke will take charge of this game here???

Durham Thunder
01-30-2013, 09:47 PM
Florida bearing 71-26 hot damn

cptnflash
Our guys playing horrible has nothing to do with the refs folks. Feels deflating watching this.

We're not playing horribly. Not great, but not horribly either. We'll still win, despite this being a much closer game than I anticipated.

CLW

they are FAR AND AWAY playing the best basketball right now.

dukelifer
01-30-2013, 09:49 PM
We're not playing horribly. Not great, but not horribly either. We'll still win, despite this being a much closer game than I anticipated.
Can't hit a three. Duke's D is too porous. Can't let a team feel they can win. Duke has to pick up the D

cptnflash
01-30-2013, 09:49 PM

The whole "there are no great teams this year" meme needs to stop. Florida is legitimately great, potentially the best team of the KenPom era. The data suggests they are better than last year's Kentucky and UNC teams.

And Kansas is probably great too, as long as Elijah Johnson stops shooting the ball.

sporthenry
01-30-2013, 09:50 PM
These are games that Duke teams usually pull out. Granted most Duke teams pull ahead after the 2nd half and don't look back. But execution will be imperative at this point.

davekay1971
I'm going to enjoy disliking Devin Thomas for his time at Wake. Too many head shakes, I'm hard looks, whiny faces, etc. Reminds me of a young Rasheed Wallace. But he's got game.

Channing
Helluva play!!!! Don't usually see a big with thar kind of control and patience on the break

FerryFor50
01-30-2013, 09:51 PM
Great steal by Jefferson!

I still don't believe Amile went over and back on that save...

dukelifer
01-30-2013, 09:52 PM
Helluva play!!!!

D showing some life

sporthenry
MP2 plays conservative defense because Duke can't afford to not have him on the floor until Kelly comes back.

I really hope this is the case but does he realize he can go up on the weak side and affect a ton of shots coming over the top? So many uncontested lay ups that don't need to be. But he is showing heart tonight which is something that Duke has been missing lately.

jipops
Anticipate every ACC road game being close. When you don't play D, it's hard to put teams away. Ask State.

Channing
01-30-2013, 09:53 PM
Another poor decision by cook

FerryFor50
I really hope this is the case but does he realize he can go up on the weak side and affect a ton of shots coming over the top? So many uncontested lay ups that don't need to be. But he is showing heart tonight which is something that Duke has been missing lately.

He was awesome on D when Kelly was healthy. But I agree he could use better instincts on the weak side.

CLW
amile is a foul magnet just young guy and the game will eventually slow down for him.

dukelifer
01-30-2013, 09:54 PM

It would have been fine if hit the shot

davekay1971

It was an open look. I'm just worried about his shooting hand after that knockdown.

DukieInBrasil
MP2 plays conservative defense because Duke can't afford to not have him on the floor until Kelly comes back.

He's also turned the ball over 7 times, which gives Wake the opportunity to get out and get some easy baskets.

Channing
01-30-2013, 09:55 PM
Why are we no longer feeding plumlee

CLW
why aren't we getting the ball to mason on the blocks. he hasn't touched it in the post in what seems like forever.

davekay1971
Mase liberalizing his defensive effort now that he's less worried about that 4th foul.

FerryFor50
He's also turned the ball over 7 times, which gives Wake the opportunity to get out and get some easy baskets.

The whole team has been sloppy with the ball.

sporthenry
Feed Mason.

ETA. Some people beat me to it.

dukelifer
why aren't we getting the ball to mason on the blocks. he hasn't touched it in the post in what seems like forever.

Why is Duke missing everything

FerryFor50
01-30-2013, 09:56 PM
Why are we no longer feeding plumlee

Good question... Playing into wake's hands.

davekay1971
01-30-2013, 09:56 PM
Feed Mason.

ETA. Some people beat me to it.

Agreed. Keep posting it.

DukieInBrasil
01-30-2013, 09:57 PM
The whole team has been sloppy with the ball.

the rest of the team has 8 turns. That's not particularly sloppy.

arnie
01-30-2013, 09:58 PM
the rest of the team has 8 turns. That's not particularly sloppy.

H and t in game at end not a good sign

subzero02
01-30-2013, 09:59 PM
I am glad I can't watch this game...

FerryFor50
Another weaaaaaak call on plumlee.

jipops
Does Hairston know how to move his feet on D?

davekay1971
Got it into Mason, draws the foul. Now make the free throws, big guy!

Bluedog
01-30-2013, 10:00 PM

I didn't think the others were that weak, but on that one, he didn't even touch him! Ridiculous....I'm still confident we're going to win this, but much more stressful than I expected. And, we obviously could lose; certainly not even close to over. I just think we'll show some guts and fortitude at the end of this game.

CLW
H and t in game at end not a good sign

yeah its allowing wake to sag off of them b/c they pose zero threat on offense but i guess K is putting them in for some D

bedeviled
He's also turned the ball over 7 times, which gives Wake the opportunity to get out and get some easy baskets.well, some of those were offensive fouls and one was the over-and-back. So, they aren't creating breaks.

IBleedBlue
It is indeed frustrating to see our team take bad shots. But the good part is we are coming together and making progress playing without kelly.

jipops

Defensive rotation far weaker.

Wake is spreading us out.

FerryFor50
01-30-2013, 10:01 PM
I didn't think the others were that weak, but on that one, he didn't even touch him! Ridiculous....

The others were borderline IMO. This one was atrocious.

cptnflash
01-30-2013, 10:01 PM
Final media timeout... I still think we win this game, but I have to admit that win or lose, I'm surprised and disappointed at how poorly we've played tonight. I knew we would miss Ryan, and said so immediately following his injury (to much derision from other members of this board). But I never imagined we would regress to the point where we could potentially lose to a team as bad as Wake, even on the road. I really hope he's back soon.

-bdbd
01-30-2013, 10:02 PM
Who is the LEADER on this team. Frustrating. MP2 just CAN'T get schooled like that on defense. He is so much better a player than that. Our defense not making things happen for us. Now worried about our biugs being in serious foul trouble...

FerryFor50
Defensive rotation far weaker.

Wake is spreading us out.

Yea, but I think it's evident the defense sucks tonight. I am more concerned with mason not being in for offense and rebounding.

ChicagoCrazy84
SMH...I really dont even want to watch this anymore, but with less than 4 to play, I have to. It's amazing how average of a team we are without RKelly. It would help too if we weren't 1-12 from downtown. Ridiculous. COME ON DUKE!! HOLD ON!

dukefan10
01-30-2013, 10:03 PM
As bad as we are playing, we haven't had a team in a while where we could
go 1-12 from three and still have a chance to win.

FerryFor50
01-30-2013, 10:04 PM
As bad as we are playing, we haven't had a team where we could
go 1-12 from three and still have a chance to win.

Make that 2-13!

davekay1971
01-30-2013, 10:05 PM
Sheed can't buy one tonight. That was a good look.

DukieInBrasil
01-30-2013, 10:05 PM
Mason's line is POY material so far. I hope he gets the 2x-double, just one more rebound!

CLW
01-30-2013, 10:06 PM
lmao that was the BIGGEST flop EVER

FerryFor50
01-30-2013, 10:06 PM
Glad they didn't call that flop.

FerryFor50
01-30-2013, 10:07 PM
Despite our defensive struggles, we are still not as bad as NCSU on D.

davekay1971
01-30-2013, 10:08 PM
Sheeeeeeeeeeddddd!

Good time to hit a big shot!

dukelifer
Sheeeeeeeeeeddddd!

Good time to hit a big shot!

Big time shot!

FerryFor50
HUGE shot by Sulaimon and bigger stop on D when we needed it. Close to road win #1!

CLW
01-30-2013, 10:09 PM
still just a 2 possession game. need to take away the 3s and hit the free throws.

sporthenry
Not the prettiest games but a big win if you will. Winning on the road in the ACC is ridiculous this year so any road win is a good one especially without Kelly. Team is learning to win which can't be understated. And ultimately, this adds another to the win column both in conference and overall which at the end of the day is all that matters, not so much how you get there.

ChicagoCrazy84
Laying on the couch here 1 week post-op from ACL reconstruction and I almost tore a quad muscle in that operated leg getting so excited over that block by Mason...

arnie
01-30-2013, 10:10 PM
yeah its allowing wake to sag off of them b/c they pose zero threat on offense but i guess K is putting them in for some D

H made a play will give him credit for hustle

CLW
01-30-2013, 10:11 PM
well that should do it. UGLY win but we apparently are going to struggle on the road this year especially w/o Kelly.

davekay1971
01-30-2013, 10:12 PM
Laying on the couch here 1 week post-op from ACL reconstruction and I almost tore a quad muscle in that operated leg getting so excited over that block by Mason...

Good luck on recovery. Nice save by Hairston too!

sporthenry
01-30-2013, 10:13 PM
well that should do it. UGLY win but we apparently are going to struggle on the road this year especially w/o Kelly.

Everyone is going to struggle. UVA and NC State have both lost to the Demon Deacons in W-S. Miami was losing to Va. Tech at the half. This game and just about the rest of the games will all be big and tough. Get out of here and go to Tallahassee and hopefully take care of business where Snaer just did it again to UMD.

Durham Thunder
01-30-2013, 10:14 PM
Hallelujah a road victory.