grad_devil
01-26-2013, 03:05 PM
All 5 starters in double figures
Rasheed goes OFF. Looks like the "slump" could be over
Mason plays well. 19/7
That dunk. Wow. We'll be talking about that one for ages

Les Grossman
01-26-2013, 03:05 PM
QC played well; and RS of course. And Mason's dunk was the stuff of legend.

ice-9
01-26-2013, 03:07 PM
Good bounce back win.

The team ex-Kelly is starting to take shape, and it revolves around a guy called Amile Jefferson. Defensively, we're putting on a lot more pressure - this makes a lot more sense with Amile's versatility on defense, length and speed - and are causing turnovers with the havok. Offensively, we're running pick and rolls for Amile, who is doing a good job finishing and/or passing out. There are still some blindspots, especially as opponents aren't quite respecting Amile's long jumper, but we're getting somewhere at least.

This team isn't quite as good as with Kelly -- it needs Mason, Curry and Quinn to have decent games and for Rasheed to have a good game. But we can be a solid team, and certainly one better than the 27-drubbing at Miami suggested.

sporthenry
01-26-2013, 03:08 PM
Dunk was probably more difficult than Gerald's versus Maryland but not nearly as important.

Utley
01-26-2013, 03:09 PM
Did Wednesday really happen or was it just a bad dream.

All around great performance - looks like we are getting our legs without Ryan - now we have to show we can do it on the road.

Cook is the key to the team - as he goes - we go. I love Suilamon's guts - he's been the spark at so many key moments this season.

Nice to see Mason get some Moxie back - I'm still celebrating the reverse jam - great to see Ryangiving him some love about it at the end.

NSDukeFan
01-26-2013, 03:13 PM
Nice bounce back.

Mason's dunk deserves it's own forum.

Did he get a technical for too outrageous a play?

dairedevil
01-26-2013, 03:14 PM
Free throws - only 7 for 17. Left a lot of points there. There will be games when those will be needed.

The good? Shooting percentages WAY up from Wednesday night. (Although they couldn't have gotten much lower)
All the starters involved in the scoring
Defensive pressure from the start of the game
18 assists to only 4 turnovers for the game. Great to see that ball protection

I hope to see this team show up every game..I don't know who those guys were wearing the Duke uniforms Wednesday night.

Utley
01-26-2013, 03:15 PM
Was that the college basketball dunk of the year?

Bob Green
01-26-2013, 03:16 PM
All around great performance - looks like we are getting our legs without Ryan - now we have to show we can do it on the road.

Agreed! Our upcoming games at Wake Forest and at Florida State are important for our continued sans Kelly development.

oldnavy
01-26-2013, 03:16 PM
Loved the emphases on getting into the lane. Mason, had more aggressivness all around, everything I wanted to see today happened.

That dunk was crazy!

Rahseed was out of his mind good today, Amile was very good, Quinn played a great game.... on and on.

Murphy seemed to have done something to get into the K dog house, seemed to be on the defensive end.... not sure what it was. I will go back and review to see if I can tell what happened.

davekay1971
01-26-2013, 03:17 PM
Dear Maryland,

After your last ever Cameron Indoor State beatdown as a member of the ACC conference, a few parting thoughts.

You were a good member of the conference...once. You had an entertaining coach, a fun style of play, avid fans, and some great players who were a credit to both your University, and the ACC. Players like Len Bias, Albert King, Buck Williams, Tom McMillen, Herman Veal... Well, maybe not Herman, but we Dukies certainly found him memorable.

Then the Gary Williams era happened. There were still great players, but your coach was more annoying (and sweaty) than entertaining. The style of play was entertaining in the same way that watching truck drivers mud wrestle is entertaining. Your fans...well, they were still avid, if slightly more whiny and psychotic.

Now, having given up on being a second-tier ACC school, you've moved on to become a second-tier B1? school. Your business guys, and the fans of every other school in the ACC, applaud the move.

I'd say that we'll see you back in Cameron soon, but I doubt you will ever be good enough in the B1?, and I hope Duke is never bad enough in the ACC, for our schools to be paired against each other. So, from Cameron Indoor Stadium, I offer you, our dear departing Twerps, this final thought:

Alpha Mike Foxtrot,

With deepest sincerity,

Dave Kay

Les Grossman
that's what the wife said
T-ed up for being too awesome

Bob Green
Was that the college basketball dunk of the year?

I'm not sure it was the dunk of the game. As impressive as Mason's dunk was, Len's provides legitimate competition.

Starter
01-26-2013, 03:18 PM
It stinks it apparently took an injury to Kelly to get Jefferson on the court, but I'm glad he's there. Is he the best pick and roll big man since... Shelden Williams, perhaps? (Would love to hear thoughts.) Amile reminds me of Lance Thomas, but with much better offensive acumen off the bat. It's a good thing for certain Duke nabbed him at the end there.

Sulaimon looks like he's fought out of whatever slump he was in. Third straight solid game, this one spectacular. Plumlee was nice and aggressive against a top-flight opponent. Cook's passing was on point. I found it odd Murphy didn't see very much time after a very solid performance against Miami, but what can you do? A feel-good victory all around; sometimes it takes a bit of a crash to shock the system and get things going in the right direction. Little need to overreact during the regular season, even after the team looked as lousy as it did a few days ago. They had the veteran personnel to right the ship, and they certainly showed a lot of fire today.

dukelifer
01-26-2013, 03:21 PM
Free throws - only 7 for 17. Left a lot of points there. There will be games when those will be needed.

The good? Shooting percentages WAY up from Wednesday night. (Although they couldn't have gotten much lower)

I hope to see this team show up every game..I don't know who those guys were wearing the Duke uniforms Wednesday night.

Much better second half than first. In the first, Rasheed was shooting at an unsustainable level which kept Duke ahead- but Maryland was doing a great job on the offensive glass. In the second half- Duke was much better on the boards and the passing down low was great by almost everyone. Also much more balanced scoring. Clearly the best game Duke has played without Ryan in two years. Jefferson is an excellent inside scorer and they used him very well today. The key though was the floor game of Cook. He needs to look to drive and dish and when he does that effectively- Duke is much more potent. Another key is strong ball pressure up top. Duke got a few steals and turnovers and those easy points help a lot. Need to bottle it and take it on the road- but little steps. Confidence comes with winning well and they did that today.

KandG
01-26-2013, 03:22 PM
Very nice win, especially for Quinn's improved aggressiveness in running the offense, and the development of more options when the opponent is so focused on stopping Mason and Seth. Rasheed/Amile pick and rolls (and Amile's general movement without the ball) probably made me happier than just about anything else in this game, even that Mason reverse dunk.

Rasheed dribbled baseline on one play when the defender closed on him, fed it to Cook on the opposite corner, who drove and flipped it over his shoulder to Amile for the finish. That was great.

Was a bit concerned when the team scored 29 points in the first 10 minutes, and then only 5 in the next 6 minutes, but though scoring will continue to be an issue against good teams with Ryan out, the offense really looked solid (against a well ranked defense) and most of the shots Duke shot were good ones. Even Mason's "where did that come from?" 15 footer which barely grazed the front of the rim was the sort of shot I'd love to see him take once in a while if they're going to leave him that open. He needs to develop some scoring options beyond that half-hook morphing into a pass to the wing when he's being guarded well.

Now let's see if the team can play this well on the road.

oldnavy
01-26-2013, 03:23 PM
I'm not sure it was the dunk of the game. As impressive as Mason's dunk was, Len's provides legitimate competition.

Len's was amazing true. BUT, Mason's was a no look, flying through the air, getting undercut phenominal dunk.... gotta go with Mason's....

PSurprise
01-26-2013, 03:24 PM
It seemed like our guards were helping out a bit on the boards, especially during the 2nd half. That has to continue since we're so thin down low right now. I also really liked Quinn's game today. He was patient and let the play develop quite nicely.

As for Mason's dunk...Wow!! He even channeled his inner Daniel Ewing afterward

roywhite
01-26-2013, 03:26 PM
It seemed like our guards were helping out a bit on the boards, especially during the 2nd half. That has to continue since we're so thin down low right now. I also really liked Quinn's game today. He was patient and let the play develop quite nicely.

As for Mason's dunk...Wow!! He even channeled his inner Daniel Ewing afterward

Mason's dunk was an all-timer. He got T'd up apparently for woofing at a Terp (Len?) after the dunk; from the replay, the call was legit, if a little petty.

freshmanjs
01-26-2013, 03:27 PM
Mason's dunk was an all-timer. He got T'd up apparently for woofing at a Terp (Len?) after the dunk; from the replay, the call was legit, if a little petty.

i don't mind the T. I like to see the aggressive attitude from Mason.

sagegrouse
01-26-2013, 03:32 PM
According to the ESPN boxscore. It could be a record. I looked for the fewest TO record in the Media Guide and found only records for MOST turnovers (don't ask). This is one measure of the disparity of the guard play between Duke and Maryland today. Another measure: Duke had 18 assists on 33 baskets; Maryland ten assists (and 14 TO's) on 25 buckets.

BTW, how is 4.5 as a TEAM assist-to-turnover ratio?

sagegrouse

roywhite
01-26-2013, 03:32 PM

Seems to me there is a connection between the increased intensity of Duke's play and the poor free throw shooting. Kind of like an early regular season game where the players go from practice speed to game speed, and it affects their free throw stroke. Coach K never seems concerned about such an occurrence in an early game, and I'm sure he considers the very intense play today well worth a lower free throw percentage.

77devil
01-26-2013, 03:39 PM

5 for 7 at one point. Mason was 1 for 5 and is quickly reverting to his mean. I'm a little surprised Alex Murphy was a DNP. Sure the rest of the team was terrible on Wed., but one would think that after 23 minutes and 11 points, Alex would get an appearance today.

Les Grossman
01-26-2013, 03:41 PM
http://www.thebiglead.com/index.php/2013/01/26/mason-plumlee-2-handed-reverse-follow-dunk-is-crazy-athletic/

dairedevil
01-26-2013, 03:42 PM
5 for 7 at one point. Mason was 1 for 5 and is quickly reverting to his mean.

And, to be fair, Amile was 5 for 9. I don't know what kind of stats he had in high school, but he hasn't had a whole lot of chances at this level. Experience, confidence and practice should result in improvement.

Bob Green
01-26-2013, 03:48 PM
I'm a little surprised Alex Murphy was a DNP.

Murphy was in the game in the 1st half for a very short time. K jerked him quickly, and when he came to the sideline, Coach directed him to sit at the end of the bench. :confused:

roywhite
01-26-2013, 03:48 PM
Official Boxscore Duke 84 Maryland 64 (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22724&SPID=1845&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=206127861)

All 5 starters in double figures.
Quinn Cook played almost 40 minutes.
Duke shot 52.4% vs a Maryland team that had been holding ACC opponents under 40%
Maryland is a load on the boards

CDu
01-26-2013, 03:52 PM
Murphy was in the game in the 1st half for a very short time. K jerked him quickly, and when he came to the sideline, Coach directed him to sit at the end of the bench. :confused:

Yeah, I noticed that. It was during a defensive possession in which Maryland got a second possession, so I'm guessing Murphy missed a defensive assignment badly maybe? Strange to come into the game (for Thornton) and then almost immediately back out of the game (for Thornton).

WakeDevil
01-26-2013, 03:55 PM
Contrary to what some think, Murphy did not play well defensively in the Miami game. Hence, bench time.

CDu
01-26-2013, 03:58 PM
Contrary to what some think, Murphy did not play well defensively in the Miami game. Hence, bench time.

I noted in the Miami post-game that Murphy was assigned the least-dangerous Miami player (either McKinney-Jones or Brown, whichever was in at the time). He didn't get beaten by those guys, but that was as cushy an assignment as we're likely to see him get in the ACC. It may just be that defensive mistakes are keeping Murphy tethered to the pine.

jv001
01-26-2013, 03:59 PM

No Duke player played good defense in the Miami game. GoDuke!

devildeac
01-26-2013, 04:06 PM
Agreed! Our upcoming games at Wake Forest and at Florida State are important for our continued sans Kelly development.

I knew 28 points would have been a bad bet for you and thought 12 points would be a bad bet for me. What kind of beer will taste good for the first Brunchgate of the season in late August/early September?:o

mcdukie
01-26-2013, 04:09 PM
Dear Maryland,

After your last ever Cameron Indoor State beatdown as a member of the ACC conference, a few parting thoughts.

You were a good member of the conference...once. You had an entertaining coach, a fun style of play, avid fans, and some great players who were a credit to both your University, and the ACC. Players like Len Bias, Albert King, Buck Williams, Tom McMillen, Herman Veal... Well, maybe not Herman, but we Dukies certainly found him memorable.

Then the Gary Williams era happened. There were still great players, but your coach was more annoying (and sweaty) than entertaining. The style of play was entertaining in the same way that watching truck drivers mud wrestle is entertaining. Your fans...well, they were still avid, if slightly more whiny and psychotic.

Now, having given up on being a second-tier ACC school, you've moved on to become a second-tier B1? school. Your business guys, and the fans of every other school in the ACC, applaud the move.

I'd say that we'll see you back in Cameron soon, but I doubt you will ever be good enough in the B1?, and I hope Duke is never bad enough in the ACC, for our schools to be paired against each other. So, from Cameron Indoor Stadium, I offer you, our dear departing Twerps, this final thought:

Alpha Mike Foxtrot,

With deepest sincerity,

Dave Kay

Maryland's last year in the ACC is 2013-14. I am assuming they will make one more trip to Cameron next season.

davekay1971
01-26-2013, 04:12 PM
Maryland's last year in the ACC is 2013-14. I am assuming they will make one more trip to Cameron next season.

FACE...PALM

I got excited to see the last of them. Oh well, hopefully we'll whoop their rear-ends again next season and I can mail it again.

Thanks for the correction. I'll now stop blogging for the rest of the day.

AncientPsychicT
01-26-2013, 04:15 PM

Actually, the T was for swiping the ball out of a UMd player's hands (http://www.thebiglead.com/index.php/2013/01/26/mason-plumlee-2-handed-reverse-follow-dunk-is-crazy-athletic/) (watch the ball around the 9-10 second mark). Made the call a lot more understandable to me.

The dunk was still awesome though :D

Kedsy
01-26-2013, 04:15 PM

Maryland had 17 offensive rebounds vs. only 23 defensive rebounds for Duke. Ouch.

Bob Green
01-26-2013, 04:18 PM
I knew 28 points would have been a bad bet for you and thought 12 points would be a bad bet for me. What kind of beer will taste good for the first Brunchgate of the season in late August/early September?:o

It will be way too hot for a porter so an IPA that isn't overly hoppy will be just right. :cool:

KandG
01-26-2013, 04:20 PM
One thing that hasn't been mentioned in the afterglow of this win is that Marshall wasn't exactly the best backup for his brother in this game. Now it's not fair to beat him up given he's still figuring things out since he hasn't been in action that long, but when Mason got two fouls, it was pretty alarming how lost Marshall looked out there - K had to bring Mason back in almost immediately, foul trouble and all. Marshall traveled on one possession and hedged so poorly on defense after his turnover that Len ended up getting wide open for a 3 point play. The coaching cliche "the game moves too fast for him" seems to apply right now.

Guessing K will mostly play small when Mason is in foul trouble with either (or both) Amile and Josh, but I'm still holding out hope (perhaps unrealistically) that Marshall can contribute sometime later this season in spot minutes, especially since we need the size against teams like MD & Miami.

Greg_Newton
01-26-2013, 04:22 PM

Maryland is a freaking enormous team; every one of their players looked like a linebacker out there. Their starting five would be big for an NBA team:

PG 6'5 215
SG 6'6 205
SF 6'8 205
PF 6'9 265
C 7'1 255

On average, we gave up 3.2" and 34 pounds:

PG 6'1 175
SG 6'2 185
SF 6'4 185
PF 6'8 195
C 6'10 235

I'm not crazy about how small our guards are, but we played well enough otherwise to offset the massive disadvantage the faced today.

toughbuff1
01-26-2013, 04:25 PM

The ref saw the number five on his jersey and thought he was Daniel Ewing.

uh_no
01-26-2013, 04:27 PM
And, to be fair, Amile was 5 for 9. I don't know what kind of stats he had in high school, but he hasn't had a whole lot of chances at this level. Experience, confidence and practice should result in improvement.

and 20 lbs of muscle

he's got the skills, he needs to bulk up.

Dukeblue91
01-26-2013, 04:29 PM
Nice bounce back by the guys.
Everyone looked good Rasheed was lights out and we better not count on this every game.
Amile is starting to become one of my favorite players he has a real knack of knowing where to be.
I could not believe Marshal missed that dunk, that one should be automatic for a big center.
I really liked our ball movement this game and when we do so good things happen for us even without Ryan.

uh_no
01-26-2013, 04:32 PM
Nice bounce back by the guys.
Everyone looked good Rasheed was lights out and we better not count on this every game.
Amile is starting to become one of my favorite players he has a real knack of knowing where to be.
I could not believe Marshal missed that dunk, that one should be automatic for a big center.
I really liked our ball movement this game and when we do so good things happen for us even without Ryan.

I was more impressed with the second half, actually.

THe first half was a lot of jump shooting (thank goodness they went in), but the second half was brilliantly flowing smooth offense....pick and rolls, cuts, great shots, dunks. That's how I want to see this duke team play...and hitting the threes is just the icing on the muffin.

Bob Green
01-26-2013, 04:35 PM
One thing that hasn't been mentioned in the afterglow of this win is that Marshall wasn't exactly the best backup for his brother in this game. Now it's not fair to beat him up given he's still figuring things out since he hasn't been in action that long, but when Mason got two fouls, it was pretty alarming how lost Marshall looked out there - K had to bring Mason back in almost immediately, foul trouble and all. Marshall traveled on one possession and hedged so poorly on defense after his turnover that Len ended up getting wide open for a 3 point play. The coaching cliche "the game moves too fast for him" seems to apply right now.

I do not completely agree with you. Marshall only played three minutes and had a solid defensive play resulting in a steal. The reason Coach K put Mason back in when Len went to the FT line is he was subbing Mason back in for offense. The likelihood of picking up the third foul is greater on defense.

The game is obviously still moving too fast for Marshall and he missed the dunk on a pick-n-roll, but he will continue to improve with more time. And Marshall executed the pick-n-roll great right up until he slammed the ball off the rim.

Dukeblue91
01-26-2013, 04:38 PM

THe first half was a lot of jump shooting (thank goodness they went in), but the second half was brilliantly flowing smooth offense....pick and rolls, cuts, great shots, dunks. That's how I want to see this duke team play...and hitting the threes is just the icing on the muffin.

I fully agree with you and was a reason why I put it there.
And as you I was really happy with the 2nd half and how they played it.

rogermortimer
01-26-2013, 04:39 PM
FACE...PALM

I got excited to see the last of them. Oh well, hopefully we'll whoop their rear-ends again next season and I can mail it again.

Thanks for the correction. I'll now stop blogging for the rest of the day.

Davekay - don't stop blogging. I think your observations are illuminating. Anticipating Maryland's absence a year early is an understandable mistake.

A few observations about Maryland:

1. Your comments about Williams' style of play and the demeanor of his teams are spot on. Having said this, Maryland was fortunate to grab Williams after the Len Bias tragedy and the Bob Wade disaster. Maryland easily could have been incredibly irrelevant, such as at the Clemson level or worse, after the Bias tragedy.

2. The school and its fans are a reflection of the dismal Prince Georges County environment in which the school sits. Yes, I know this is harsh, but the blunt truth is that the best students from Montgomery and Howard and Baltimore County do not by and large desire to go to Maryland. The University of Maryland holds no parallel to UVa and UNC, both of which attract the best students and reflect a far different attitude. Note the Maryland does not by and large attract the best local players - a huge indicator of its status.

3. Maryland's unexciting commuter like school status in dreary, surrounded by crime/drug corridor College Park inculcates little deep loyalty among its alumni and fans. They get more excited over hating Duke - Duke nicely invokes emotions of class and class hatred - than truly caring about Maryland. This is why Maryland can just bolt for the Big 10, essentially just for the money. The older alums by and large don't like it, and intuit that the Big 10 schools and their culture have little in common with Maryland, but their fans don't care, as like it or not, Maryland has limited appeal to its fans. Their tiny endowment for a school with a tremendous number of built advantages (12 miles from the Capitol) is an embarrassment.

Neals384
01-26-2013, 04:45 PM
Yeah, I noticed that. It was during a defensive possession in which Maryland got a second possession, so I'm guessing Murphy missed a defensive assignment badly maybe? Strange to come into the game (for Thornton) and then almost immediately back out of the game (for Thornton).

Yeah, it was a short outing for Murph. On the play in question, he was positioned almost under the basket and tried to take a charge, but he was in the wrong place for that and really needed to engage his player...so his positioning was all wrong and he was too passive. But he did finally go to the floor and create the jump ball.

Saratoga2
01-26-2013, 04:45 PM
While Maryland had some big bodies with good footwork inside, their guards were unable to force turnovers or keep effective pressure on our shooters. There were able to push us around on the boards though and were getting 2nd and 3rd chance points. Good that Rasheed was red hot today and that Seth also looked good. That kept us in the lead later in the half when we went cold.

While Mason was a big contributor today, I thought his defense in the first half was tentative and Maryland was able to score easily against him down low. His determination seemed to increase in the second half and he battled more effectively. To bad he just won't put a little arc on his free throw shot attempts. Quinn had an excellent game. I thought his defense pressure was great all day, while he took his own points at times while distributing the ball with some artistry. Amile is the real deal and should be starting from here on until Ryan comes back. The Maryland guards couldn't get in Rasheed's face so he went off in a big way. He was so hot, even the one time he was well guarded, he shot over them anyway. It appears Rasheed is coming out of the funk and that is good timing as his scoring is needed.

My guess is that Alex came in and may have been give some instruction but he didn't follow it (just my guess), so back to the bench he went. It has to be tough on the kid, as he has quite a bit of talent. Marshall didn't look that good out there. We will need more from him going forward as he will likely be our starting center next year.

rsvman
01-26-2013, 05:00 PM
Now that was a fun game to watch.

Obviously a much better showing than we had against Miami, but the level of competition wasn't even in the same stratosphere. Maryland is too sloppy with the ball and they don't score the ball well at all; problems that cost them the game at UNC and also here at Cameron today.

Still, happy to see a few things: Mason making some post moves reminiscent of the ones he made in November and early December; Rasheed getting confident in his shooting again; Quinn penetrating better, passing better, and containing penetration much better; the entire team playing good defense as a unit, hustling, and communicating well.

All in all, a satisfying win. Something to build on. I would love to see them play this way on the road, and I hope I get to see it soon.

walras
According to Capel on the postgame show, Murphy tweaked his knee in the warmups, so the staff watched him carefully. When he missed on taking the charge, and he went down, in the scrum the staff thought he was grimacing and holding his knee, and so they took him out thinking they'd evaluate the knee later. It ended up that he said he was grimacing and making faces because he messed up the charge.

oldnavy

He was slow to rotate over and did a flop which drew a blocking call is the best thing I can see from the replay. Must be more going on behind the scenes that we don't know about because the play didn't seem that aweful to me.
As far as Masons T I am happy to see it. I mentioned in the pre game thread that we need a more aggressive mind set and this was about as aggressive as you could ask for IMO. Loved it!

Sorry, Murp did not draw a foul on that play as noted it ended with a tie up and jump ball situation.

watzone
01-26-2013, 05:03 PM
Coach K was happy in his post game presser, here is that if you are interested http://bluedevilnation.net/2013/01/a-little-perspective-is-required-for-some-duke-fans/

uh_no
01-26-2013, 05:12 PM
Coach K was happy in his post game presser, here is that if you are interested http://bluedevilnation.net/2013/01/a-little-perspective-is-required-for-some-duke-fans/

I think you grabbed the wrong link

http://bluedevilnation.net/2013/01/duke-thumps-maryland-behind-sulaimons-career-high-25-points/

uh_no
01-26-2013, 05:16 PM
and I do think we will have him back

K on Ryan during his presser

dukebballcamper90-91
01-26-2013, 05:23 PM
in case he reads the boards, hang in there alex.

uh_no
01-26-2013, 05:24 PM
in case he reads the boards, hang in there alex.

K also said he had tweaked his knee, which was part of the reason for the limited minutes tonight (and amile and sheed were playing superbly)

Edouble
01-26-2013, 05:30 PM
“He’s (Amile's) getting stronger. We’re not exactly going to see who he is this year exactly but given the opportunity to play Amile will develop faster,” said Krzyzewski.

Can we put a sticky to this on the front page? Amazing! Playing in games will help a player develop!

Ben1029
01-26-2013, 05:41 PM
The reason Mason had his left hand/wrist wrapped today was that he tore a ligament in his thumb, according to Jeff Goodman. https://twitter.com/GoodmanCBS/status/295280502418591744

Kedsy
01-26-2013, 05:41 PM
I do not completely agree with you. Marshall only played three minutes and had a solid defensive play resulting in a steal. The reason Coach K put Mason back in when Len went to the FT line is he was subbing Mason back in for offense. The likelihood of picking up the third foul is greater on defense.

The game is obviously still moving too fast for Marshall and he missed the dunk on a pick-n-roll, but he will continue to improve with more time. And Marshall executed the pick-n-roll great right up until he slammed the ball off the rim.

The missed dunk and the travel didn't bother me so much. The poorly executed defensive hedge where he showed then tried to double and left Len wide open underneath was borderline egregious. It's a shame he was hurt for so long, Marshall appears to have a lot to learn. I hope he works hard and is ready to play big minutes next season.

FerryFor50
01-26-2013, 05:45 PM
The reason Mason had his left hand/wrist wrapped today was that he tore a ligament in his thumb, according to Jeff Goodman. https://twitter.com/GoodmanCBS/status/295280502418591744

I remember him wincing in the Miami game after a hard collision with Reggie Johnson and holding his hand. Wonder if that was when it happened...

timmy c
01-26-2013, 05:48 PM
The missed dunk and the travel didn't bother me so much. The poorly executed defensive hedge where he showed then tried to double and left Len wide open underneath was borderline egregious. It's a shame he was hurt for so long, Marshall appears to have a lot to learn. I hope he works hard and is ready to play big minutes next season.

I jumped out of my seat on this play. I love marshall's enthusiasm, he reminds me of a golden lab puppy, but he's not playing at game speed right now. I have no doubts that he'll figure it out eventually.

ncexnyc
01-26-2013, 05:52 PM
A solid game against a very determined Maryland team. Rasheed did a great job of keeping the Terps at bay in the first half and Amile "The Eel" Jefferson continues to wiggle and slither has way to points around the basket. That kid has an unbelievable knack for scoring around the rim.

A solid effort from the Curry/Quinn backcourt duo. Steady, solid play is all we need from both of them, game in and game out for the team to do very well.

Am I the only one who would love to see us do some more iso plays for Mason? I don't think there are many other bigs who can put the ball on the floor like he can.

Nice to see both Tyler and Josh continue to bring the effort, despite diminishing roles due to Ryan's injury.

Marshall and Alex got little burn, but their time will come. Whether it's latter this season or next year will depend entirely on what they do going forward.

CDu
01-26-2013, 05:58 PM
I jumped out of my seat on this play. I love marshall's enthusiasm, he reminds me of a golden lab puppy, but he's not playing at game speed right now. I have no doubts that he'll figure it out eventually.

I said in the game thread that Marshall reminds me of a freshman/sophomore version of Lance Thomas. There's a lot of frenetic movement, but not a lot of productive things happen with that movement. There's a whole lot of hustle, but not a lot of control. It's like he's rushing to try to do something, anything, positive, but not really doing so with any poise and purpose.

I have hope that, like Thomas, the game eventually slows down and Marshall can be an impact player. But those who are lauding his play to this point are guilty of looking too hard for a silver lining. Right now, he just doesn't appear to be ready to contribute.

And there's nothing wrong with that. Lots of players (especially big men) don't figure it out until their third (or later) years of college ball. Marshall appears to be moving along that path right now.

uh_no
01-26-2013, 05:58 PM
A solid game against a very determined Maryland team. Rasheed did a great job of keeping the Terps at bay in the first half and Amile "The Eel" Jefferson continues to wiggle and slither has way to points around the basket. That kid has an unbelievable knack for scoring around the rim.

A solid effort from the Curry/Quinn backcourt duo. Steady, solid play is all we need from both of them, game in and game out for the team to do very well.

Am I the only one who would love to see us do some more iso plays for Mason? I don't think there are many other bigs who can put the ball on the floor like he can.

Nice to see both Tyler and Josh continue to bring the effort, despite diminishing roles due to Ryan's injury.

Marshall and Alex got little burn, but their time will come. Whether it's latter this season or next year will depend entirely on what they do going forward.

well, ryan for one,

but I think you MIGHT be the only one....unless you are hoping mason breaks the record for turnovers.......

dribbling and driving is not mason's game. He is able to do it sometimes with the right matchup/situation, but in general, it ends poorly. Take it when you can get it, but don't get greedy.

pamtar
01-26-2013, 06:01 PM

I stopped and re-wound the game twice just to admire how fluid we looked. One play especially (dunno exactly when but Jiggy started it with a hand-off high ball screen) developed so perfectly that I felt obligated to flamboyantly dissect it to my pre-occupied wife and five-month-old son. The play ended in a shooting foul. Still, our guys moved into position and passed the ball with perfect timing. K is a genius.

hindugrass
01-26-2013, 06:03 PM
...by the crazies today. hadn't seen this mentioned yet. apologies in advance if it has. i loved the fact that mason's ridiculous reverse dunk follow was accompanied by loud chants of "acc." also liked the "maryland jerseys brought to you by mcdonald's" sign on the whiteboard in the shootaround, but it proved to be premature, as they didn't wear the ugliest ones today. "not our rival" took on special meaning, and "don't come back" was a chant that almost hearkened back to the more acerbic days of the 80s crazies. fun times in cameron today. =)

devildeac
01-26-2013, 06:05 PM
It will be way too hot for a porter so an IPA that isn't overly hoppy will be just right. :cool:

I think I can probably figure out one of those;).

And, to stay on topic, very nice win today. Impressive.

uh_no
01-26-2013, 06:07 PM
I think I can probably figure out one of those;).

And, to stay on topic, very nice win today. Impressive.

is beverage pairing ever not on topic? :)

devildeac
01-26-2013, 06:19 PM
is beverage pairing ever not on topic? :)

I usually try to keep them on the Ymm, Beer thread, but just to be sure, wanted to post something about the game so as to stay out of trouble;).

Now, if it's a BBQ question/post...

Many excellent things today, FT% not one of them. We shot better from behind the arc than we did from the FT line. I think we did that one other game this season. Maybe we should...
Nah, forget that thought.

uh_no
01-26-2013, 06:22 PM
I usually try to keep them on the Ymm, Beer thread, but just to be sure, wanted to post something about the game so as to stay out of trouble;).

Now, if it's a BBQ question/post...

Many excellent things today, FT% not one of them. We shot better from behind the arc than we did from the FT line. I think we did that one other game this season. Maybe we should...
Nah, forget that thought.

is it time we start asking coach calipari for advice on how to improve the percentage?

ugh....

anyway, mason clearly regressed again, but he's not the only culprit...

camion
01-26-2013, 06:40 PM
Seems to me there is a connection between the increased intensity of Duke's play and the poor free throw shooting. Kind of like an early regular season game where the players go from practice speed to game speed, and it affects their free throw stroke. Coach K never seems concerned about such an occurrence in an early game, and I'm sure he considers the very intense play today well worth a lower free throw percentage.

Defense is all about passion. Shooting is about precision.
And as a wise man once said: "Passion is the enemy of precision."

Bonus points if you can name the movie for that quote without internet help. :D

ChicagoCrazy84
01-26-2013, 07:00 PM
...by the crazies today. hadn't seen this mentioned yet. apologies in advance if it has. i loved the fact that mason's ridiculous reverse dunk follow was accompanied by loud chants of "acc." also liked the "maryland jerseys brought to you by mcdonald's" sign on the whiteboard in the shootaround, but it proved to be premature, as they didn't wear the ugliest ones today. "not our rival" took on special meaning, and "don't come back" was a chant that almost hearkened back to the more acerbic days of the 80s crazies. fun times in cameron today. =)

I was going to mention this too. I was happy with their execution as well :) I think with Maryland leaving the ACC, the Crazies had this one circled on the calendar. Lots to say with that. Hopefully we can get this enthusiasm the rest of the season!

DU82
01-26-2013, 07:26 PM

When he came out, Coach directed him to talk to the trainer, not to sit at the end of the bench. (i sit in that end zone,and was watching when he came out.) He said maybe three words, then went back to his usual seat on the bench. As mentioned up thread, Coach thought he tweaked his knee. I wouldn't read anything more than that.

Greg_Newton
01-26-2013, 10:36 PM
You can probably guess when this was taken...

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/775687_10151377652359456_1316627978_o.jpg

bedeviled
01-26-2013, 10:53 PM
You can probably guess when this was taken...Yep!, great reaction!...And to think, posters didn't like Marshall's hedge!

Cameron
01-26-2013, 11:32 PM

http://i647.photobucket.com/albums/uu194/CameronBlue22/AndreJumping_zps76e89c12.jpg

Yeah, he's coming back.

And, based on that picture, Alex Murphy might have had the best box out of the day.

Rebounding will be a major concern when we travel to Chapel Hill. If the Heels get after anything, it's the boards.

jipops
01-26-2013, 11:39 PM

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/775687_10151377652359456_1316627978_o.jpg

Capel's expression the best on that one.

Greg_Newton
01-26-2013, 11:51 PM
Capel's expression the best on that one.

Yeah, I'd have to go 1) Fierce Capel, 2) Happy Dre, 3) "Young Dutch boy in a candy store" Todd, 4) blue suit guy on the left (closest to my own reaction...), then maybe sad/jealous Wojo. :D

DBFAN
01-27-2013, 12:58 AM
I just saw where Mason did indeed make #1 on the top 10 tonight. I was gonna be amazed if someone did something more amazing than that!

wtm001
01-27-2013, 01:29 AM
I just saw where Mason did indeed make #1 on the top 10 tonight. I was gonna be amazed if someone did something more amazing than that!

Did Alex Len's dunk make it?

dukeofcalabash
01-27-2013, 03:33 AM
Can you believe the leadership displayed by those 3 young men in the first half? Who could wish for anything more from Rasheed, Amile, and Quinn. Glad Mason and Seth joined them in the 2nd half to make it a complete TEAM effort! Great game today and enjoyable for a change.

rhynelander
01-27-2013, 03:39 AM
Did Alex Len's dunk make it?

It was number three or four. Mason's dunk was insane though; well worthy of number one, a top dunk in Duke history for sure. I was only able to catch the first half today and while exciting, great to hear the second half was more fluid.

bedeviled
01-27-2013, 04:48 AM
Duke Blue Planet (http://www.dukeblueplanet.com/) also posted their highlight video with lots of great clips. Still, I haven't seen any clips of a play at the end of the game where we had multiple cross-court passes ending in a made 3ptr. Maryland's defense was ragged by that point, but I still thought it was highlightable.
Watching the videos, I was reminded of how Quinn sometimes quits playing once his pass is made or the ball is going to the rim. Watching more carefully, there were a number of the highlight plays where our guys dropped their arms (or held up their arms in celebration even before the play was finished) and started walking. I will grant that dunks are likely to go in, but lay-ups are missed all the time (let alone flying ones!). More importantly to me, we were clearly not focused on getting rebounding position for some of the outside shots in the highlight reel as we stopped playing when the shots went up. In light of our rebound numbers, this continued behavior surprised me.

Bob Green
01-27-2013, 06:20 AM
When he came out, Coach directed him to talk to the trainer, not to sit at the end of the bench. (i sit in that end zone,and was watching when he came out.) He said maybe three words, then went back to his usual seat on the bench. As mentioned up thread, Coach thought he tweaked his knee. I wouldn't read anything more than that.

Thanks for the correction!

Cameron
01-27-2013, 06:29 AM
It was number three or four. Mason's dunk was insane though; well worthy of number one, a top dunk in Duke history for sure. I was only able to catch the first half today and while exciting, great to hear the second half was more fluid.

Mason's dunk was definitely awesome. The amount of skill and air time required to catch a ball in mid flight like that and reverse dunk it blindly is just crazy. But Alex Len put Mason on a poster. That jam was equally as impressive considering Len performed it backwards over top an All-American 6-10 center who will be taken in the lottery in June.

TruBlu
01-27-2013, 07:12 AM
According to Capel on the postgame show, Murphy tweaked his knee in the warmups, so the staff watched him carefully. When he missed on taking the charge, and he went down, in the scrum the staff thought he was grimacing and holding his knee, and so they took him out thinking they'd evaluate the knee later. It ended up that he said he was grimacing and making faces because he messed up the charge.

Was watching the warmups closely to check out what kind of intensity to expect (and looking for black eyes, bruises, etc.). Alex tripped over another players foot during the layup drill, and grabbed his leg. The trainers took him to the locker room, but he returned a few minutes later and continued warmups with a brace on his knee, but looked fine. (Not sure if the brace was there previously).

Based on this comment by Coach Capel, please do not start a "Alex Murphy Injury Vigil". :rolleyes:

lotusland
01-27-2013, 08:00 AM
Are CBS game streams available for replay anywhere? Couldn't watch live yesterday unfortunately.

Ggallagher
01-27-2013, 08:20 AM
OK - as if Mason's monster jam wasn't great enough, you have to love his little throw away line on Duke Blue Planet when he explains it,
"Uhh.. nice miss by Quinn"
I love these guys.

oldnavy
01-27-2013, 09:01 AM
http://i647.photobucket.com/albums/uu194/CameronBlue22/AndreJumping_zps76e89c12.jpg

Yeah, he's coming back.

And, based on that picture, Alex Murphy might have had the best box out of the day.

Rebounding will be a major concern when we travel to Chapel Hill. If the Heels get after anything, it's the boards.

Picked that out as well, nice to see Andre again. Hope he is doing well and getting better each day.

Love Capel's expression the most. "dang Mase thats just nasty".

Newton_14
01-27-2013, 09:27 AM
One of my favorite things from this game was Mason not jumping at the opening tip. (Sorry if it was mentioned earlier in this thread and I missed it. I came down with the Flu yesterday so not at my sharpest). Mason told the team he wanted Maryland to get the tip so that Duke could immediately set the tone on defense. Just thought that was cool.

Easily the best game played since losing Ryan. I hate Alex got hurt cause I think he would have gotten good minutes yesterday. K definitely made changes to the offense, designed to get better spacing and take advantage of Amile's offensive strength's a bit. Amile played really well yet again, and keeps getting better on both sides of the ball. Great to see, as was Rasheed channeling his inner JJ. Amile is also playing better on the defensive end, starting to pick up rotations and assignments better, as well as playing good defense without fouling. I can't wait to see the day when he is about 25lbs heavier with muscle. He is going to be a solid scorer in the paint.

Our two Seniors bounced back as well. Mason had a really strong game. Would have had 23+ had he made his free throws. He is due for another hot streak from the foul line. We should have went to him more in the first half.

I thought the team as a whole played a really solid game. Everybody that played decent minutes contributed.

DBFAN
01-27-2013, 09:50 AM
Mason's dunk was definitely awesome. The amount of skill and air time required to catch a ball in mid flight like that and reverse dunk it blindly is just crazy. But Alex Len put Mason on a poster. That jam was equally as impressive considering Len performed it backwards over top an All-American 6-10 center who will be taken in the lottery in June.

I don't know.. While Lin's dunk was pretty cool I don't know if it counts as a posterize... Mainly because Lin went to the other side if the goal to avoid Plumlee so Mason is on the other side. But I am sure all the haters out there already have it as their home screen now

Cameron
01-27-2013, 12:31 PM
I don't know.. While Lin's dunk was pretty cool I don't know if it counts as a posterize... Mainly because Lin went to the other side if the goal to avoid Plumlee so Mason is on the other side. But I am sure all the haters out there already have it as their home screen now

I don't know, I think any time a 6-foot-2 Taiwanese man has enough hang time to travel through the air to the other side of the goal to avoid a 6-10 center and then dunk it on him backwards is pretty impressive. ;)

In all seriousness, Len's dunk was not only of highlight reel quality, it was also the result of excellent agility and control for a big man that size. Len has phenomenal touch around the basket, with the ability to finish as well as any center in the country. Reminds me a great deal of Rik Smits. He doesn't have the range that the Dunkin' Dutchman had -- Smits could stretch the D out to 20 feet with that feathery jumper that, to this Pacers fan growing up, was pretty as hell -- but Len has displayed the ability to makes shots from 15 feet. Len is a lottery pick and has the potential to be a top center in the NBA one day.

OldPhiKap
01-27-2013, 12:48 PM
I don't know, I think any time a 6-foot-2 Taiwanese man has enough hang time to travel through the air to the other side of the goal to avoid a 6-10 center and then dunk it on him backwards is pretty impressive. ;)

In all seriousness, Len's dunk was not only of highlight reel quality, it was also the result of excellent agility and control for a big man that size. Len has phenomenal touch around the basket, with the ability to finish as well as any center in the country. Reminds me a great deal of Rik Smits. He doesn't have the range that the Dunkin' Dutchman had -- Smits could stretch the D out to 20 feet with that feathery jumper that, to this Pacers fan growing up, was pretty as hell -- but Len has displayed the ability to makes shots from 15 feet. Len is a lottery pick and has the potential to be a top center in the NBA one day.

I refuse to believe that Len Elmore dunked yesterday, let alone still has eligibility.

OZ
01-27-2013, 02:05 PM

Or, "maybe" he didn't miss a defensive assignment badly.

from DBR: "Also, we heard on the radio that the reason Alex Murphy played so little was because he tweaked his knee in warmups. When the staff saw him grimacing on the court, out he came."

Perhaps, we need to be more careful about our speculation as to the reason for one playing or not playing. Sometimes, it maybe unfair to the player or players.

g-money
01-27-2013, 02:14 PM
Great bounce-back game for Duke. I thought just about everyone played well. A few shout-outs and random thoughts:

Mason - I was happy to see his aggressiveness/chippiness back. I thought he was more decisive in the post (vs the MIA game, pun intended) and more effectively used double/counter moves. The dunk was one for the ages. Keep it up Mase!
Sulaimon - it looks like he is well on his way to breaking through the freshman wall. The hot shooting was a blessing, but beyond that I was impressed with his decision making. Plus it was entertaining to hear my kids yell, "SulaaaiiMON" every time he hit a three.
Quinn - had a great overall game, with some great drives and finishes over bigger defenders to complement his passing.

The Duke offense is a pleasure to watch in games like this. Ball movement is what makes it a beautiful game.

Let's see if this victory can carry over into a few ACC road wins.

rhynelander
01-27-2013, 02:41 PM

I think we'll just have to agree to disagree, because I thought Mason's dunk was sensational due to the extreme athleticism necessary to complete it. However being 6'10", it's even more impressive he could contort his frame to grab the rebound and then switch gears to a blind behind the head flying dunk. Len made a great move, and then kinda used the rim to create space for his also impressive dunk. Either way it was a very entertaining game, and I'm glad this is what we're arguing over after our 20 point win!

Cameron
01-27-2013, 03:26 PM
I think we'll just have to agree to disagree, because I thought Mason's dunk was sensational due to the extreme athleticism necessary to complete it. However being 6'10", it's even more impressive he could contort his frame to grab the rebound and then switch gears to a blind behind the head flying dunk. Len made a great move, and then kinda used the rim to create space for his also impressive dunk. Either way it was a very entertaining game, and I'm glad this is what we're arguing over after our 20 point win!

This.

And do not get me wrong. As I said above, I thought Mason's dunk was fantastic. He essentially Ced Ceballos'd Maryland -- the only thing missing was the blindfold. Performing a put-back dunk already requires great leaping ability, but to do it without looking, in mid flight, that takes incredible precision and skill. Mason is the greatest big man leaper ever to play at Duke.

rthomas
01-27-2013, 03:46 PM
Duke Blue Planet (http://www.dukeblueplanet.com/) also posted their highlight video with lots of great clips. Still, I haven't seen any clips of a play at the end of the game where we had multiple cross-court passes ending in a made 3ptr. Maryland's defense was ragged by that point, but I still thought it was highlightable.
Watching the videos, I was reminded of how Quinn sometimes quits playing once his pass is made or the ball is going to the rim. Watching more carefully, there were a number of the highlight plays where our guys dropped their arms (or held up their arms in celebration even before the play was finished) and started walking. I will grant that dunks are likely to go in, but lay-ups are missed all the time (let alone flying ones!). More importantly to me, we were clearly not focused on getting rebounding position for some of the outside shots in the highlight reel as we stopped playing when the shots went up. In light of our rebound numbers, this continued behavior surprised me.

The comments by Amile about "team" at the end of this video were great.

roywhite
01-27-2013, 06:44 PM
The comments by Amile about "team" at the end of this video were great.

We're lucky to have two true freshmen in Amile and Rasheed who seem very mature and very committed to Duke team concepts. There are a lot of high character guys who have come through the program and these two could be among the best. It was great to hear Amile talk about hearing from former Duke players and getting their support.

davekay1971
01-27-2013, 07:07 PM
We're lucky to have two true freshmen in Amile and Rasheed who seem very mature and very committed to Duke team concepts. There are a lot of high character guys who have come through the program and these two could be among the best. It was great to hear Amile talk about hearing from former Duke players and getting their support.

We have alot to look forward to with the development of our young players. At this moment, clearly Sulaimon and Jefferson are ahead of Plumlee III and Murphy on the development curve, but both of the latter two have very high ceilings. Cook is still a young guy and has made a huge improvement between freshman and sophomore years. We'll lose a ton at the end of this year with Mason, Curry, and Kelly. But seeing a Duke team next season with a possible starting backcourt of Cook and Sulaimon and a possible starting frontcourt of Parker, Jefferson, and Plumlee3 will be fun. And, no, I'm not forgetting our rising seniors, because Thornton and Hairston have already proven to be great team-first-just-tell-me-what-you-want-and-I'll-do-it-Coach kind of guys.

Kedsy
01-27-2013, 07:19 PM
But seeing a Duke team next season with a possible starting backcourt of Cook and Sulaimon and a possible starting frontcourt of Parker, Jefferson, and Plumlee3 will be fun.

I expect Rodney Hood has a pretty good chance to start. Probably a better chance than both Amile and Marshall starting, although of course there's a long time between now and then.

davekay1971
01-27-2013, 07:31 PM
I expect Rodney Hood has a pretty good chance to start. Probably a better chance than both Amile and Marshall starting, although of course there's a long time between now and then.

You're right, I'm sure. Didn't mean to derail the post-game thread into a way-too-early-let's-speculate-about-next-year's-starting-lineup thread!

Of course, remembering Rodney and all the good buzz about what he can bring to our frontcourt makes me even happier thinking about next year.

Cameron
01-27-2013, 08:16 PM
Not only is there a very good chance that Rodney Hood starts next year, but there's a high probability that he's one of our top two or three scorers. The Duke coaching staff -- Coach K himself, if I am remembering accurately -- has said that Rodney may be the best player on Duke right now.

A half-hearted Google search provided no proof of those comments, but I am fairly certain that a similar proclamation was made at some point. Regardless, Rodney possesses the perfect combination of length and skill as both a slasher and perimeter threat that will make him a dynamic fit at Duke. He and Jabari Parker are going to constitute one of the most versatile and dangerous swingman duos in America.

-bdbd
01-27-2013, 10:52 PM
Great bounceback game. We needed it, and fun to see Rasheed and MP2 playing so well. We knew they could. I also am enjoying the apparent emergence of Amile Jefferson. At a minimum, he seems to bring us a burst of energy and enthusiasm on the floor. I really like watching his energy level, aggressiveness. :D

Attaching an article from the Post with a bit of a MD perspective on the game. Haven't heard of the reporter before, Prewitt, but I find it interesting that this short game recap makes at least three separate references to the Cameron Crazies. If I didn't know better I'd think that we were getting inside their heads...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/maryland-vs-duke-terrapins-no-match-for-top-ranked-blue-devils-in-second-half/2013/01/26/b9f77224-67ee-11e2-9e1b-07db1d2ccd5b_story.html

....the chants of “ACC! ACC!” and “Don’t come back!” were raining down on the Terps.

.......Sluggish starts had been a constant in Maryland’s prior road games this season, and the raucous Cameron Indoor Stadium environment — with fans holding up signs bidding Maryland “good riddance” to the Big Ten — figured to provide the same

licc85
01-28-2013, 03:08 AM
I've been out of the loop for awhile, and I wasn't able to watch this game. I did read some recaps, and I was curious if anyone knew anything about Mason's thumb injury. Apparently, he said he "tore a ligament" in his left thumb in the Miami game? That sounds pretty bad, but it didn't seem to affect his play much. Still, it's a bit troubling . . .

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-28-2013, 06:14 AM
Has anyone heard how Cook is? That tumble he took in the last minute made me wince.

Are we worried moving forward? We certainly don't need any additional injury issues.

Go Duke

Newton_14
01-28-2013, 08:51 AM
I've been out of the loop for awhile, and I wasn't able to watch this game. I did read some recaps, and I was curious if anyone knew anything about Mason's thumb injury. Apparently, he said he "tore a ligament" in his left thumb in the Miami game? That sounds pretty bad, but it didn't seem to affect his play much. Still, it's a bit troubling . . .

He injured it when he lowered his shoullder and put Reggie Johnson on his arse. One heck of a collision and Mase came out of shaking his left hand. Saturday he had a wrap on it with a "plate" taped on it. It did not seem to bother him much, and he did block one shot with this left hand. He did not seem to have much trouble with ball handling either, or at least not that I saw, and have I watched the game twice.

Certainly a cause for concern, as at some point it will get grabbed or hit hard.

moonpie23
01-28-2013, 09:10 AM
when mason (or any of those "bigs" ) goes down on a fall, that's a LOT of weight to fall, usually from a high distance. those big guys get back up more slowly..

(how many of you have ever really dunked a basketball? we had the rims lowered one time at the Y (i'm 5' 9") and we are all pretending to play above the rim.....

i don't see how they aren't ALL in wrist casts most of the time.....I realize that it's the timing of when to release the ball, but it's a skill not to bust your hand(s) up..

CDu
01-28-2013, 10:35 AM
Has anyone heard how Cook is? That tumble he took in the last minute made me wince.

Are we worried moving forward? We certainly don't need any additional injury issues.

Go Duke

He looked fine shortly after the fall. I don't think there's much to worry about there.

Indoor66
01-28-2013, 01:04 PM
when mason (or any of those "bigs" ) goes down on a fall, that's a LOT of weight to fall, usually from a high distance. those big guys get back up more slowly..

(how many of you have ever really dunked a basketball? we had the rims lowered one time at the Y (i'm 5' 9") and we are all pretending to play above the rim.....

i don't see how they aren't ALL in wrist casts most of the time.....I realize that it's the timing of when to release the ball, but it's a skill not to bust your hand(s) up..

It was a whole lot tougher on the wrists before they had the break-away rims - that came in, I think, in the 80's. That is why the spectacular dunks by shorter players are more recent. You did not have the physical margins on the fixed rims.

Newton_14
01-28-2013, 01:53 PM
It was a whole lot tougher on the wrists before they had the break-away rims - that came in, I think, in the 80's. That is why the spectacular dunks by shorter players are more recent. You did not have the physical margins on the fixed rims.

Spud Webb begs to differ... :D

Other than him though, you do have a point. It is easier for the smaller guys today with how the rims give.

CDu
01-28-2013, 01:54 PM
Not only is there a very good chance that Rodney Hood starts next year, but there's a high probability that he's one of our top two or three scorers. The Duke coaching staff -- Coach K himself, if I am remembering accurately -- has said that Rodney may be the best player on Duke right now.

A half-hearted Google search provided no proof of those comments, but I am fairly certain that a similar proclamation was made at some point. Regardless, Rodney possesses the perfect combination of length and skill as both a slasher and perimeter threat that will make him a dynamic fit at Duke. He and Jabari Parker are going to constitute one of the most versatile and dangerous swingman duos in America.

While I agree with the general sentiment that Hood will likely start for us next year, I would hesitate in taking Coach K too literally when he makes comments about players. Remember, he allegedly said that Marshall was one of the top-6 players before he got hurt. But nothing I've seen about Marshall's game suggests that could be accurate. He also said Murphy would start at SF for us and be a big contributor this year, and that hasn't been the case.

-bdbd
01-28-2013, 02:15 PM
FWIW, Sports Talk Radio in DC today bemoaning - not necessarily in an irate fashion - Coach K's post-game comments about MD leaving to the Big-10. Apparently when asked about this being "potentially MD's last trip to Cameron" K apparently responded to the effect that "I really don't care about that anymore. They made their decision and so I'm ready to just move on..." Combine that with the "ACC" and "Good Riddance" chants and signs, and the Maryland/DC media was a bit unhappy with us. My reaction: too bad. You made your bed, now sleep in it.

CDu
01-28-2013, 02:23 PM
FWIW, Sports Talk Radio in DC today bemoaning - not necessarily in an irate fashion - Coach K's post-game comments about MD leaving to the Big-10. Apparently when asked about this being "potentially MD's last trip to Cameron" K apparently responded to the effect that "I really don't care about that anymore. They made their decision and so I'm ready to just move on..." Combine that with the "ACC" and "Good Riddance" chants and signs, and the Maryland/DC media was a bit unhappy with us. My reaction: too bad. You made your bed, now sleep in it.

Meh, it's just the media looking for something to stir up stories/call-ins. They know that the fanbase really hates Duke, so any chance to create an anti-Duke angle is good for local business. I doubt the media are really all that upset about the comments, nor do I suspect the local fans are all that upset about it.

sagegrouse
01-28-2013, 02:31 PM

Yawn. Maryland Board member Tom McMillan's comments (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/terrapins-insider/wp/2012/11/21/tom-mcmillen-rails-on-decision-making-process-confidentiality-agreement-in-washington-post-op-ed/) in a Washington Post op-ed were much sharper and more critical. Essentially he decried a "rush to judgment" by two officials (Pres. and AD) who were new to Maryland and the ACC.

sagegrouse

Cameron
01-28-2013, 02:49 PM
While I agree with the general sentiment that Hood will likely start for us next year, I would hesitate in taking Coach K too literally when he makes comments about players. Remember, he allegedly said that Marshall was one of the top-6 players before he got hurt. But nothing I've seen about Marshall's game suggests that could be accurate. He also said Murphy would start at SF for us and be a big contributor this year, and that hasn't been the case.

Hey! Stop it! It's all true :D

In actuality, being the master of hyperbole that I frequently am – Chris Duhon did legitimately have range out to 35 feet, though – when I heard Coach K talk about Rodney already being a very good player, what I probably heard was "Moses Malone with a three-point shot."

So, yeah, you present a good point. Also, if we all recall, there were numerous reports during the 2010 national title season that Seth Curry, despite only being eligible as a practice player, was the best player on a squad that included Kyle Singler and Nolan Smith. As good as Seth was the following season as a sophomore, looking back, I find that report, well, unbelievable.

So again, fair point. It would make sense that Coach would want to talk up his yet-to-be-seen red shirt players to a certain degree for purposes of building their confidence and instilling the belief in them that they are going to be important members of the team – if that is in fact K’s intention when making such grand remarks. My guess is that the truth lies somewhere in between, and that Rodney will start and give Duke that hallmark versatility on the perimeter that has made our very best teams so dangerous.

Billy Dat
01-28-2013, 03:55 PM
Much better second half than first. In the first, Rasheed was shooting at an unsustainable level which kept Duke ahead- but Maryland was doing a great job on the offensive glass. In the second half- Duke was much better on the boards and the passing down low was great by almost everyone. Also much more balanced scoring. Clearly the best game Duke has played without Ryan in two years. Jefferson is an excellent inside scorer and they used him very well today. The key though was the floor game of Cook. He needs to look to drive and dish and when he does that effectively- Duke is much more potent. Another key is strong ball pressure up top. Duke got a few steals and turnovers and those easy points help a lot. Need to bottle it and take it on the road- but little steps. Confidence comes with winning well and they did that today.

Very nice win, especially for Quinn's improved aggressiveness in running the offense, and the development of more options when the opponent is so focused on stopping Mason and Seth. Rasheed/Amile pick and rolls (and Amile's general movement without the ball) probably made me happier than just about anything else in this game, even that Mason reverse dunk.
Rasheed dribbled baseline on one play when the defender closed on him, fed it to Cook on the opposite corner, who drove and flipped it over his shoulder to Amile for the finish. That was great.
Was a bit concerned when the team scored 29 points in the first 10 minutes, and then only 5 in the next 6 minutes, but though scoring will continue to be an issue against good teams with Ryan out, the offense really looked solid (against a well ranked defense) and most of the shots Duke shot were good ones. Even Mason's "where did that come from?" 15 footer which barely grazed the front of the rim was the sort of shot I'd love to see him take once in a while if they're going to leave him that open. He needs to develop some scoring options beyond that half-hook morphing into a pass to the wing when he's being guarded well.
Now let's see if the team can play this well on the road.

I thought these were excellent recaps of the key aspects of the game. One thing I didn't notice a lot of people talking about was just how important the Rasheed 3s were in terms of getting us going. Teams have been happy to load up on Mason and Seth and let anyone else try to beat them. If Rasheed's 3s didn't fall early and often, the game may have taken a different and worse turn. We needed someone other than Mason and Seth to get us out of the gate. For us to continue to improve, everyone needs to take responsibility for offensive production. Agree that Quinn's play on both ends, and leadership, were vital. As for Mason's face-up game, who remembers his freshmen year penchant for launching 3s? I, too, wish he had a 15 footer, but that hook is pretty un-guardable and he puts a wicked amount of spin on that thing to the point where it practically just dies on the back of the iron and rolls in.

A few observations about Maryland.... (post #48)

rogermortimer - I wanted to applaud your passionate and semi-bizarre UM rant from post #48. It was a different shade of bile then I am used to on DBR and definitely caught my eye. As Professor Turgeson said to Thornton Mellon, "Good answer...good answer...I like the way you think...I'm gonna be watching you!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bfgrj_62-Y

Amile "The Eel" Jefferson continues to wiggle and slither has way to points around the basket.
Not bad...this could stick. Kind of reminds me of when people tried to dub Maggette - "The Machette".

Finally, with K's penchant for a tight rotation, do we think the audition is over and Amile has taken over Kelly's role but at 25 mpg with Tyler and Josh getting the remaining 7 or so left over split between them?

Looking forward to the next few games to see if the balanced offense fueling the stingy defense can continue.

Saratoga2
01-28-2013, 05:12 PM
Amile has earned a starting role, at least until Ryan returns. Between Amile and Mason, we can expect good offensive production and rebounding. These two can't carry the team but can make a nice contribution. What we also need is for Rasheed and Seth to be versatile and consistent scorers. Other good teams will probably try to take away or minimize their scoring and that if they succeed it would make us vulnerable. Quinn's points will be a plus and his ball control and distribution are the biggest contribution he can make offensively.

It will be interesting to see how well we do with true road games in the ACC going forward.

weezie
01-28-2013, 05:53 PM
One last dig: the twerps Under Armour shoes, replete with multiple UA logos, even on the shoestrings, looked like big old Bozo shoes.

roywhite
01-28-2013, 05:58 PM
One last dig: the twerps Under Armour shoes, replete with multiple UA logos, even on the shoestrings, looked like big old Bozo shoes.

Under Armour wants all the advertising they can get, esp. if they are asked to help write the $52 million check to leave the ACC.

oldnavy
01-28-2013, 06:14 PM

Seriously?? WoW! I watched the video of the post game, and he basically ignored the question letting the reporter know in no uncertain terms that he didn't want to discuss it. He mentioned he had no feelings for that (topic) because he had other things to worry about.

Only a paranoid fanbase like UofMd would read anything into that....

I wish they were already gone for Heaven's sake!!