PDA

View Full Version : WBB: Duke 80, BC 56

wandalee
01-26-2013, 09:16 AM
The women play on Sunday at 1 at Cameron. The game will be on TV, too (RSN, so Fox Sports in the Durham area).

burnspbesq
01-27-2013, 01:57 PM
Solid first half for Duke: 56 percent from the floor including 8-for-10 from three. Thirteen assists on 18 FG.

Halftime score Duke 49, BC 33.

burnspbesq
01-27-2013, 03:09 PM
Duke's offense went off the boil in the second half, but the defense stayed consistent. Final score Duke 80, BC 56.

Haley Peters led the way with a double-double (15 and 13). Chloe chipped in a season-high 13. EWill had one of her best all-around games ever; her passing out of double-teams was especially good, leading to a team-high five assists. And Jenna Frush buried a three in transition.

Now it gets a lot harder. Miami and Carolina this week.

homebre
01-27-2013, 03:19 PM
I missed most of the game, was there any word when and if Amber Henson will play?

Homebre

chrishoke
01-27-2013, 03:31 PM
Nice to see Coach G and several of her former players at the game.

burnspbesq
01-27-2013, 03:38 PM
I missed most of the game, was there any word when and if Amber Henson will play?

Homebre

No mention. At this point, I'd be surprised to see her this season. Why burn a year of eligibility for 15-18 games?

Class of '94
01-27-2013, 05:17 PM

Missed the game; but good to hear that Coach G and former players were there. Do you or anyone else know why or what the occasion (if any) was that brought her back to Duke.

I know this is a far-out question; but could there be any chance that Coach G joins the current Coaching staff under Coach P. I remember the offense being a lot smoother under Coach G; and she had experience beating the elite teams like UConn on multiple occasions with Duke. I know this would be unusual; but I think it could be a win-win for both Coach P and Duke as well as Coach G. It would allow Coach G to ease back into coaching in positive way (in a similar way to Coach Capel returning to the Duke eventhough Coach G quit as opposed to being fired; and she was the former coach of Duke and never worked under Coach P); and both Coach G and Coach P could learn alot from one another imo; something it seems that is very important to both in that they both want to grow as coaches.

Ok, don't blister me too badly; but would love to get others' thoughts and opinions on this.

burnspbesq
01-27-2013, 05:22 PM
Do you or anyone else know why or what the occasion (if any) was that brought her back to Duke.

Celebrating the 10th anniversary of the 2002-03 Final Four team. As far as I could tell from watching on TV, about half of the players from that team were on hand (several are playing pro ball in Europe).

jimsumner
01-27-2013, 05:27 PM
I would be surprised to see Henson play this season.

I would absolutely be gob-smacked to see Gail Goestenkors as an assistant at Duke or anyone else.

Indoor66
01-27-2013, 05:31 PM
You can't go home again.

DU82
01-27-2013, 09:07 PM
Some comments:

I thought the defense in the first half was pretty poor. A lot of missed switches resulted in open threes and layups for BC. Some of that was BC adjusting their gameplan to take Elizabeth out of the middle by having their center (and most of the team) play on the perimeter. Haley, while solid otherwise, was the offender on a couple of these plays.

The offense was also shaky, with some poor decisions here as well. Until late in the half, the scoring difference was mainly talent. BC just couldn't compete.

In the second half, the defense was far better, both on better coverage and switches. On offense, the passes were crisper, and found the open player more often. I liked the high-low post play with Elizabeth up top, finally dishing off rather than forcing a tough shot. Haley and Allison took advantage of those passes.

Overall, Haley and Chloe were the stars of the game. Elizabeth finally got one official block, but had two nullified by pretty bad foul calls. Chelsea picked up two early fouls, as did Tricia. Neither played poorly, but they weren't as good as they could be.

Alexis tried to do it all, sometimes with good plays, too often with poor ones. She's a tremendous talent, but is still a freshman.

Allison plays well when she's in, but is clearly suffering from her elbow injury. My speculation is that the infection left her weak. I still can't believe the coaching staff didn't work on her shooting form. On her four free throw attempts, she hit the front of the iron once, the bottom twice, and nothing the fourth time.

Next game is Miami on Thursday. They totally blew the game against the Smurfs today, losing a four point lead with 26 seconds left. Time after time, they couldn't inbound the ball. We need to press after each made shot, and take control of the game.

nocilla
01-30-2013, 11:01 AM
No mention. At this point, I'd be surprised to see her this season. Why burn a year of eligibility for 15-18 games?

Didn't Amber Henson redshirt last season? Is that even an option this year?

DevilWearsPrada
01-30-2013, 11:42 AM
You can't go home again.

Coach G could!!! If Coach P were to leave! Which is highly not likely!!!!

Unless there was some sort of medical issue like Kay Yow or Pat Summit, and Joanne looks to be in Tip Top shape!!! She looks to be in her 20's. And why would Joanne bring the former Head Coach to her staff as an assistant? Coach G, in my opinion would probably upstage Coach P. Coach G has many many fans and supporters!!! Bless her heart! Gail knew she made a big mistake taking the Texas gig. She should have reneged on the Texas offer!!! Now she is unemployed as a Head Coach!! Duke will always be Coach G's home!!! There is a special place for her at Duke always!!! In our minds and hearts, forever!! The Best to Gail!!!

jv001
01-30-2013, 11:51 AM

Love that avatar. Stan The Man was my favorite Cardinal of all time. We lost a good one. GoDuke and GoRedbirds!

UrinalCake
01-30-2013, 12:06 PM
I took my six year-old daughter to the game, and had a great time! It was a great environment, lots of kids in the stands and a lot of energy from the fans. My daughter asked a ton of questions and now she wants to play. Though she did feel bad for the BC team for "not being as good" and "fouling so much by accident." Kudos to our team for being wonderful role models for the next generation of girls who now have opportunities that weren't there just a few years ago.

jimsumner
01-30-2013, 01:30 PM
Didn't Amber Henson redshirt last season? Is that even an option this year?

Yes, she did redshirt last season.

The NCAA will grant a second redshirt/sixth year if both redshirts are the result of an injury, which would be the case with Henson.

DevilWearsPrada
01-30-2013, 02:47 PM
Yes, she did redshirt last season.

The NCAA will grant a second redshirt/sixth year if both redshirts are the result of an injury, which would be the case with Henson.

That was a question addressed to Coach P on Monday night at the Live Radio Show at NOSH!!! Looks like Amber will receive a second medical redshirt. Bless her heart!!! I was looking forward to seeing her play and contribute to our Girls Basketball program!!! Take care Amber!!

jtelander
01-30-2013, 04:08 PM
That was a question addressed to Coach P on Monday night at the Live Radio Show at NOSH!!! Looks like Amber will receive a second medical redshirt. Bless her heart!!! I was looking forward to seeing her play and contribute to our Girls Basketball program!!! Take care Amber!!

As I recall, Coach P. described the process, indicating it was a much higher hurdle than a one year redshirt and she did mention Amber but did not say for sure that it was in the works or that NCAA would agree.

I keep hoping she will be dressed for the next game, or the one after that!

But it seems more and more unlikely.

jimsumner
01-30-2013, 11:47 PM
As I recall, Coach P. described the process, indicating it was a much higher hurdle than a one year redshirt and she did mention Amber but did not say for sure that it was in the works or that NCAA would agree.

I keep hoping she will be dressed for the next game, or the one after that!

But it seems more and more unlikely.

It becomes a cost/benefits question. Is Amber Henson more valuable to Duke playing two or fewer months this season or playing an entire season as a sixth-year senior in 2017?

I would opt for the latter.

As for sixth-year seniors, we need look only at Duke football, where DE Kenny Anunike was granted a sixth year, which he will use next season.

So, it's not an abstraction.