PDA

View Full Version : Duke Football Coaches Thread

Dev11
01-25-2013, 02:05 PM
According to everybody on Twitter who cares about Duke FB, WR coach Lubick is leaving for Oregon for the same job. By all accounts, he has been an integral part of our offensive development (insert cracks on Roper) and our recruiting under Cutcliffe.

It sounds like Cut won't name a replacement until after Signing Day, which is coming up soon.

Best of luck to Coach Lubick, but this is a real loss, especially since we lose our top wide receiver to the draft this year.

Bob Green
01-25-2013, 02:18 PM
ACC Sports‏@ACCSports

That hurts RT @BFeldmanCBS: Duke WR coach Matt Lubick is joining Oregon's staff, per source. Dogged recruiter.

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-25-2013, 04:53 PM
Coach Lubick is a terrific recruiter who has been recognized nationally. Maybe he's being brought in to help block Urban Meyer's poaching.

chrishoke
01-25-2013, 05:44 PM
Calling Scotty Montgomery.

Acymetric
01-25-2013, 05:56 PM
Why would Montgomery have left his position as WR coach at Duke to be a coach with the Steelers just to come back to Duke to be the WR coach? Don't think he is going to be the guy.

chrishoke
01-25-2013, 06:10 PM
Why would Montgomery have left his position as WR coach at Duke to be a coach with the Steelers just to come back to Duke to be the WR coach? Don't think he is going to be the guy.

Wishful thinking, but you never know.

mapei
01-26-2013, 03:41 PM
Any relation to Georgetown hoops forward Nate Lubick? I know Nate's father is a (HS) basketball coach.

Native
01-26-2013, 04:43 PM
Best wishes to Coach Lubick. It's a testament to how far we've come as a program that our coaches are being offered jobs by such top-tier programs. All the best!

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-26-2013, 05:54 PM
Best wishes to Coach Lubick. It's a testament to how far we've come as a program that our coaches are being offered jobs by such top-tier programs. All the best!
You are right on point! I'm looking forward to the next hire.... just as quality of recruits is going up, so might we see quality of coaches continuing to rise.

Greg_Newton
01-28-2013, 12:06 AM
As of tonight, following him is 2013 OL Elijah George. He was a potential steal that Duke had identified and led for early, and likely would have committed to us had Oregon not swooped in.

That makes two recruits and a coach they've stolen from us this year... flattering, but starting to get annoying. :mad:

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-28-2013, 10:12 AM
As of tonight, following him is 2013 OL Elijah George. He was a potential steal that Duke had identified and led for early, and likely would have committed to us had Oregon not swooped in.

That makes two recruits and a coach they've stolen from us this year... flattering, but starting to get annoying. :mad:
Rising higher in the food chain of college recruiting and coaching means the potential of more of this, not less, will be likely. I don't know how this sort of thing can be prevented or avoided.

Regarding the matter of stealing recruits, I understand that Oregon is having recruits poached by Urban Meyer.

TheTrain
01-28-2013, 11:42 AM
Any relation to Georgetown hoops forward Nate Lubick? I know Nate's father is a (HS) basketball coach.

He is the son of former Colorado State HC Sonny Lubick

Mike Corey
01-28-2013, 12:42 PM
Regarding the matter of stealing recruits, I understand that Oregon is having recruits poached by Urban Meyer.

Not yet. But it wouldn't be for lack of trying.

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-28-2013, 12:53 PM
Not yet. But it wouldn't be for lack of trying.
I love your candor!:cool: You have confirmed some aspects of the food chain at work in college recruiting.

I'll admit that I don't care for this aspect of college football... coaches moving on to greener pastures, recruits and players doing the same thing.... but if you're going to be in the room with the rest of the big boys, it seems to be what happens. The better you become, the more others want what you have. We've seen it in basketball and we're moving toward it in football.

sagegrouse
01-28-2013, 02:12 PM
For much of the past thirty years, folks that left Duke football and got another job in coaching could say, echoing the Old Ball Coach, "I survived Duke." The fact that we are losing coaches to better programs is a measure of our progress, although not as happy as bowl games or wins on the field.

sagegrouse
'OTOH, Spurrier actually said: "I survived Duke -- twice!"'

ChicagoCrazy84
01-28-2013, 02:14 PM
Rising higher in the food chain of college recruiting and coaching means the potential of more of this, not less, will be likely. I don't know how this sort of thing can be prevented or avoided.

This is why college recruiting bothers me. Teams do not shy away from talking to kids even after they have given verbal commitments to other teams. Even if a coach leaves a school, I think it should be up to the kid to start the communication with the other schools, not the other way around. I am sure staff members for Oregon does it as well, but if you give a commitment, you're giving it to the school, not the coach correct? As far as I know Elijah George had not given any verbal to Duke so it may be different in this case, but it still speaks to the issue of college recruiting.

mkline09
02-05-2013, 02:37 PM
Haven't received a confirmation myself but saw Mark Watson just post on Twitter than Duke assistant coach Ron Middleton is leaving to take a job in the pros. Not sure what team but if true that is the second big loss for the program in terms of coaching in as many weeks.

airowe
02-05-2013, 02:45 PM
To the Jags...

https://twitter.com/stevewisemanNC/status/298876254826946561

Dev11
02-05-2013, 02:48 PM
Well, I'm sure everybody is ok if we lose all of the offensive coaches not named Roper, right?

-bdbd
02-05-2013, 03:15 PM
Bummer. At least we have a Head Coach with a great "loyalty" rep, and he should have no difficulty backfilling. Look at it as an opportunity to bring in some new blood. Just hope no adverse impacts on recruiting tomorrow...

CrazyNotCrazie
02-05-2013, 03:54 PM
Not sure of his role in recruiting but really wish he could have waited 24 hours

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-05-2013, 04:01 PM
While I'm sorry to hear about the idea that Coach Middleton is leaving, he's been with Coach Cutcliffe at Duke long enough to earn the option to move on to another opportunity.

If a program is good, other programs will try to recruit the coaches. We've been spoiled by the relative stability of the staff under Coach Cutcliffe. Before he arrived, the staff had a revolving door, always in motion to exit.

I wish Coach Middelton the best and intend to collect one more bear hug before he leaves!:cool:

Mike Corey
02-05-2013, 04:31 PM
This is the kind of coaching turnover that you like and hate to see.

The good thing? They've left Duke football so much better than they found it. It'll hopefully be all the easier to recruit coaching talent to Durham to fill their big shoes.

OldPhiKap
02-05-2013, 04:55 PM
Good luck coach, thanks for helping us move forward.

While sad to see, I am happy that he is not going to another college team and taking recruits with him.

It is nice to have coaches that are wanted.

jimsumner
02-05-2013, 05:31 PM
This is the kind of coaching turnover that you like and hate to see.

The good thing? They've left Duke football so much better than they found it. It'll hopefully be all the easier to recruit coaching talent to Durham to fill their big shoes.

Agreed. Lousy teams don't have coaches in demand. Good teams do. See it as a sign of respect.

PDDuke85
02-05-2013, 06:58 PM
Agreed. Lousy teams don't have coaches in demand. Good teams do. See it as a sign of respect.

Thanks to Coach Middleton for his tireless efforts in the monumental task of rebuilding Duke football. I salute you sir, for a job well done and pray for nothing but the best for you in your next gig!

Mike Corey
02-06-2013, 03:48 PM
I love your candor!:cool: You have confirmed some aspects of the food chain at work in college recruiting.

I'll admit that I don't care for this aspect of college football... coaches moving on to greener pastures, recruits and players doing the same thing.... but if you're going to be in the room with the rest of the big boys, it seems to be what happens. The better you become, the more others want what you have. We've seen it in basketball and we're moving toward it in football.

For the record, OSU did secure a letter of intent from Dontre Wilson, a former Oregon commit.

Further, OSU's punter commitment is reportedly wavering now between OSU and Alabama.

dukeofcalabash
02-06-2013, 05:11 PM
Bummer. At least we have a Head Coach with a great "loyalty" rep, and he should have no difficulty backfilling. Look at it as an opportunity to bring in some new blood. Just hope no adverse impacts on recruiting tomorrow...

Sounds a bit like the "loyalty" street is one way!

dpslaw
02-06-2013, 05:23 PM

Middleton has been with Cutcliffe for the long haul. I see nothing disloyal about taking a job in the NFL.

Acymetric
02-06-2013, 06:20 PM
Middleton has been with Cutcliffe for the long haul. I see nothing disloyal about taking a job in the NFL.

Agreed. And though we finally started paying our assistants well, I imagine NFL teams cut pretty decent checks too.

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-06-2013, 09:02 PM
Ron Middleton came in with Coach Cutcliffe in 2008. He left the NFL to help build our program. Certainly I'm sorry to see him leave. But I don't think he's disloyal. I'm happy for him to have such a great opportunity and look forward to seeing who's coming on board the staff next. Each staff opening presents an opportunity to upgrade just like each year's recruiting class has the potential be better than the last one.

devildeac
02-06-2013, 09:48 PM
My younger son-in-law was a FB manager for two years and just texted me, "He will be missed! Great coach!" Hopefully, Cut can spin it this way to recruits: We just "sent" a coach to the top ten Oregon Ducks and another to the NFL. Not only are we developing great players/students/athletes here at Duke but we are developing great coaches for our program which continues to improve. I'm quite happy for Coach Middleton and wish him every success. Maybe he can bring a few players from the Jags back with him every summer to Cut's camps like Cut has done with the Mannings;).

ChicagoCrazy84
02-06-2013, 11:35 PM
As an Oregon Duck fan myself, I have to say we were lucky to get someone like Matt Lubick to join the staff after Chip left. Oregon was and still is the only program that has been blessed with staff continuity throughout the years. I forgot what it was exactly, but they had the longest tenured staff of any FBS school by 10 years or something. In this day and age, it is very rare to have the continuity in college football that fans want. Oregon has been the lucky one (thanks Phil Knight).

BlueDevilinNYC
02-08-2013, 10:19 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-wr-coach-montgomery-leaves-for-job-at-duke-673940/

HUGE get. Think he will make a great OC. Good day for the program!

devildeac
02-08-2013, 10:27 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-wr-coach-montgomery-leaves-for-job-at-duke-673940/

Wait a minute! No announcement about Roper;)? It seems more likely that Montgomery will come back to coach the WR which would still be huge I think.

Dev11
02-08-2013, 10:37 AM

Awesome. Whatever job Roper has now, he's better suited for it than for OC. Welcome back, Scottie.

Mike Corey
02-08-2013, 10:58 AM
What a coup. I am ecstatic about this news.

One wonders if there is a hope that when Cutcliffe retires someday, Montgomery might be able/willing to take over.

Congratulations, Duke football, and welcome home, Coach Montgomery!

loran16
02-08-2013, 11:04 AM

Curiously, article states Montgomery is taking the "Offensive Coordinator" position. Roper out?

loran16
02-08-2013, 11:06 AM
Oops, started a new thread. How about we change the title of this one to Duke FB Coaching Carousel or something?

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-08-2013, 11:11 AM
What a coup. I am ecstatic about this news.

One wonders if there is a hope that when Cutcliffe retires someday, Montgomery might be able/willing to take over.

Congratulations, Duke football, and welcome home, Coach Montgomery!
Coach Cutcliffe did say in a recent interview that he would hire people he knows to fill the openings and that he had been talking to some folks for a while, but wouldn't say more because most are actively employed. I love that Scotty's on his way home! Coach Cutcliffe mentioned at the signing day event that all might not be hired before spring practice begins, but he wasn't concerned about that.

I expect that once he's finished bring in perhaps one other assistant, there will be a reorganization, just as there was after Marion Hobby left. I don't have a link, that's my intuition.

Mike Corey
02-08-2013, 11:17 AM
[celebratory haiku]

Makes sense to me, DBD.

Glad Coach Montgomery

Is back in Durham--for good.

[/celebratory haiku]

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-08-2013, 11:20 AM
[celebratory haiku]

Makes sense to me, DBD.

Glad Coach Montgomery

[/celebratory haiku]

Gotta love this exchange of coaches with the NFL.

loran16
02-08-2013, 11:29 AM
[celebratory haiku]

Makes sense to me, DBD.

Glad Coach Montgomery

[/celebratory haiku]

Ummm, 7-7-5 does not a haiku make </poetry snob>

Oh and Roper is not out </sad>:
Stephen Wiseman ‏@stevewisemanNC

Duke can be creative with titles and salaries with these 2 hires. Lubick was recruiting coordinator. Middleton was associate HC.

39m Mark Watson Mark Watson ‏@BlueDevilNation

Montgomery will not be the new OC at Duke, Roper remains in that role. Best to wait for Duke official release at this point.

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-08-2013, 11:56 AM
There will be one more hire and reorganization of some sort may follow. Even if we knew who this other hire is, it doesn't mean we know what Coach Cutcliffe is going to do with the organizational chart.

Mike Corey
02-08-2013, 12:28 PM
Ummm, 7-7-5 does not a haiku make </poetry snob>

I'm a dolt. I was putting it at 7-5-7. And flubbed that flubbing.

Awesome job, Mike Corey. Awesome job. And now I'm maligning myself in the third person on the Internet.

Back to praising competent folks like Coach Montgomery and Coach Cutcliffe.

PDDuke85
02-08-2013, 03:38 PM
There will be one more hire and reorganization of some sort may follow. Even if we knew who this other hire is, it doesn't mean we know what Coach Cutcliffe is going to do with the organizational chart.

TheDevilsDen.com ‏@TheDevilsDen
Kurt Roper is Duke’s offensive coordinator and will continue to handle the play-calling element as he has for the past five seasons.

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-08-2013, 07:47 PM
TheDevilsDen.com ‏@TheDevilsDen
Kurt Roper is Duke’s offensive coordinator and will continue to handle the play-calling element as he has for the past five seasons.
Coach Roper remaining the OC and some reorganization are not mutually exclusive. At the signing day event, Coach Cutcliffe said that once everyone had been hired, he'd look at the assignments and personnel. He said it in a way that made me think he might make some changes just as he has done each time other coaches have left and new ones were brought in.

I'm looking forward to learning who the next hire will be!:cool:

Bob Green
02-09-2013, 12:56 PM
At the signing day event, Coach Cutcliffe said that once everyone had been hired, he'd look at the assignments and personnel.

Thanks for the report DitBD! What else did Coach Cutcliffe have to say?

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-09-2013, 01:49 PM
Thanks for the report DitBD! What else did Coach Cutcliffe have to say?
He emphasized that the theme for recruiting this year is finding play makers. Speed and strength still important, but size not a big a theme based on the stats on the players' sizes. You can also look at where the guys come from and see some trends of solid relationships with coaches and programs which will continue to generate good recruits for us in the future.

This class is comprised of many who play offense and defense and a variety of positions, all based on high athleticism and smart, fast play. It was exciting to see the video of so many hard hits, turnovers generated and scooped up and generally game changing plays. I'm guessing that positions each will play will be a combination of what they can do well and what the team needs, great versatility apparent.

More than a third of the class are listed as defensive backs. A couple of big boys from Texas for the line. We got a center rated as highly as #6 nationally for that position. (That's another trend on our recruiting over the past couple or three years: highly sought after players in key positions such as kicker, punter, center, long snapper, etc.) We got a nice assortment of WRs of different sizes, but all very fast and agile. There's another QB... this one fitting the new NFL prototype.

Another theme in what Coach Cutcliffe had to say is how important it is to have the stadium filled with Duke fans to create atmosphere and influence play..... he cited the Carolina game on October 20 repeatedly to illustrate this point. He said the atmosphere for the Carolina game was a highpoint in his career. He wants those seats filled, the sooner the better.

Tickets sales for football will be loaded online soon! We can't disappoint the 2012 ACC Coach of the Year!

jimsumner
02-09-2013, 03:20 PM
I love the Montgomery hire. I was hoping for it the second I heard Lubick was leaving. He's from the state, he went to Duke and, by all accounts, he's a heck of a coach.

OZZIE4DUKE
02-09-2013, 04:43 PM
I love the Montgomery hire. I was hoping for it the second I heard Lubick was leaving. He's from the state, he went to Duke and, by all accounts, he's a heck of a coach.
This is good news indeed! Great "get" for Duke! :cool:

I spoke with both Roper and Knowles on Wednesday night after the signing day event. Neither gave any indication that they were going anywhere soon... not that they would say something to me.

OldPhiKap
02-09-2013, 04:45 PM
He emphasized that the theme for recruiting this year is finding play makers. Speed and strength still important, but size not a big a theme based on the stats on the players' sizes. You can also look at where the guys come from and see some trends of solid relationships with coaches and programs which will continue to generate good recruits for us in the future.

This class is comprised of many who play offense and defense and a variety of positions, all based on high athleticism and smart, fast play. It was exciting to see the video of so many hard hits, turnovers generated and scooped up and generally game changing plays. I'm guessing that positions each will play will be a combination of what they can do well and what the team needs, great versatility apparent.

More than a third of the class are listed as defensive backs. A couple of big boys from Texas for the line. We got a center rated as highly as #6 nationally for that position. (That's another trend on our recruiting over the past couple or three years: highly sought after players in key positions such as kicker, punter, center, long snapper, etc.) We got a nice assortment of WRs of different sizes, but all very fast and agile. There's another QB... this one fitting the new NFL prototype.

Another theme in what Coach Cutcliffe had to say is how important it is to have the stadium filled with Duke fans to create atmosphere and influence play..... he cited the Carolina game on October 20 repeatedly to illustrate this point. He said the atmosphere for the Carolina game was a highpoint in his career. He wants those seats filled, the sooner the better.

Tickets sales for football will be loaded online soon! We can't disappoint the 2012 ACC Coach of the Year!

Thank you for a very informative post, DiBD. Always great to hear from you, especially on football! Sorry I missed you in Charlotte, assume you were there I hope.

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-09-2013, 05:21 PM
Thank you for a very informative post, DiBD. Always great to hear from you, especially on football! Sorry I missed you in Charlotte, assume you were there I hope.
Back at ya! Yes, I was there right in the middle of it all including when the team returned to the hotel after the game! It was quite an event.... I've penciled in the possibility of bowl travel for late December 2013 or early January 2014.:cool:

OldPhiKap
02-09-2013, 06:34 PM
Back at ya! Yes, I was there right in the middle of it all including when the team returned to the hotel after the game! It was quite an event.... I've penciled in the possibility of bowl travel for late December 2013 or early January 2014.:cool:

"Pencil" ?!?

"Pen"

(Channeling the inner Ozzie we all carry)

PDDuke85
02-11-2013, 12:52 PM
This is good news indeed! Great "get" for Duke! :cool:

I spoke with both Roper and Knowles on Wednesday night after the signing day event. Neither gave any indication that they were going anywhere soon... not that they would say something to me.

Just watched the Scottie Montgomery presser and he's got me so excited, I'm heading out in the rain to run pass patterns. Welcome home coach!

CameronBornAndBred
02-11-2013, 02:25 PM
Former Duke football standout and assistant coach Scottie Montgomery will return to his alma mater to serve as the program’s Associate Head Coach and Offensive Coordinator/Passing Game while coaching the Blue Devil wide receivers, head coach David Cutcliffe announced on Monday.

That is the most confusing and longest job title ever.

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=206348860&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-11-2013, 03:32 PM
What great news! Having Scottie Montgomery return home is outstanding. He'll do a great job as Associate Head Coach.

Can't wait to see who will be the second hire.:cool:

JasonEvans
02-11-2013, 03:46 PM
I dunno about the rest of ya'll, but I am starting to think Scotty Montgomery should be the man who replaces Cut when Cut decides it is time to go.

Check out this article on today's presser. (http://www.coachingsearch.com/component/content/article/2468-scottie-montgomery-challenges-recruiters-in-north-carolina.html)

Scottie Montgomery has issued a challenge.

Duke introduced its new wide receivers / passing game coordinator / associate head coach Monday, and he knows North Carolina is fertile recruiting ground.

There were seven players in the Rivals 250 from North Carolina in this past recruiting class, and Montgomery wants to get those types of players to Duke.

"Watch out for me on the roads of NC because it's going to be real," Montgomery said, according to tweets from Harold Gutmann of the Durham Herald-Sun. "Some of these other college football coaches recruiting around here, if I were you, I'd look somewhere else."

-Jason "loving the optimism and confidence!" Evans

OZZIE4DUKE
02-11-2013, 04:08 PM
That is the most confusing and longest job title ever.

Former Duke football standout and assistant coach Scottie Montgomery will return to his alma mater to serve as the program’s Associate Head Coach and Offensive Coordinator/Passing Game while coaching the Blue Devil wide receivers, head coach David Cutcliffe announced on Monday.

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=206348860&DB_OEM_ID=4200

If Scottie is OC/passing, I guess that makes Roper OC/running. My question is: who is going to call the plays? I'm hoping it's Scottie. :cool:

GO TO HELL carolina! GO TO HELL! http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif
GO TO HELL carolina! GO TO HELL! http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

loran16
02-11-2013, 04:10 PM
I dunno about the rest of ya'll, but I am starting to think Scotty Montgomery should be the man who replaces Cut when Cut decides it is time to go.

Check out this article on today's presser. (http://www.coachingsearch.com/component/content/article/2468-scottie-montgomery-challenges-recruiters-in-north-carolina.html)

-Jason "loving the optimism and confidence!" Evans

Good. We had 10/20 recruits this year in the ranked range - 3 stars and up. We should have EVERY recruit in that range or nearly EVERY - exceptions made only for the rare recruits we feel are under-ranked. Don't misunderstand me, those 2 star guys can have a few stars in them, but we aren't taking 10 of these guys because we think they're all underrated, we're taking TEN because we can't get in on the higher ranked guys at most spots.

Gotta change that.

Dev11
02-11-2013, 04:12 PM

Oh boy, the program has progressed to the point where we have to speculate about our next coach when our current coach is experiencing success and is not quitting in the near future. Do we need to start reminding people here to just live in the now and enjoy it?

loran16
02-11-2013, 04:13 PM
Oh boy, the program has progressed to the point where we have to speculate about our next coach when our current coach is experiencing success and is not quitting in the near future. Do we need to start reminding people here to just live in the now and enjoy it?

Ha! Oh cmon, when was the last time Duke fans would even joke about a Coach-in-Waiting rather than who from outside we should hire to save us from the depths of winless misery in football?

I'm enjoying this.

Duvall
02-11-2013, 04:18 PM
If Scottie is OC/passing, I guess that makes Roper OC/running. My question is: who is going to call the plays? I'm hoping it's Scottie.

Roper is the play-caller. (https://mobile.twitter.com/Duke_FB/status/300997037049118720/actions)

Dev11
02-11-2013, 06:51 PM
Ha! Oh cmon, when was the last time Duke fans would even joke about a Coach-in-Waiting rather than who from outside we should hire to save us from the depths of winless misery in football?

I'm enjoying this.

Well I wasn't quite aware of Duke Football when Spurrier left, what did you all think then?

Acymetric
02-11-2013, 07:05 PM
If Scottie is OC/passing, I guess that makes Roper OC/running. My question is: who is going to call the plays? I'm hoping it's Scottie. :cool:

We had the same division between Roper and Lubick before he left, Roper is still the real​ OC.

loran16
02-12-2013, 09:40 AM
Well I wasn't quite aware of Duke Football when Spurrier left, what did you all think then?

Well I was 2. So, clearly I had a strong opinion at the time.

TruBlu
02-12-2013, 11:14 AM

. . . and your strong opinion was probably as accurate as any of us older folks' opinions.

OldPhiKap
02-12-2013, 11:18 AM

It made me cry as well.