PDA

View Full Version : How VCU and Shaka Smart built a team that could compete with the big boys

JasonEvans
01-25-2013, 01:24 PM
It is not about Duke (other than a mention of Jeff Capel), but I wanted to share this article from ESPN Magazine (http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/8865504/vcu-briante-weber-perfect-example-coach-shaka-smart-recruiting-style-espn-magazine) about the success of Shaka Smart at VCU and how he has built such a strong team.

The author, Jordan Brenner, does a really good job explaining the specific recruiting tactic's Smart uses to attract players who were otherwise overlooked by the big basketball powers. Smart credits the tactics he uses to Coach Capel, which is nice.

How, Smart wanted to know, had Capel lured (NBA first-round draft pick Eric) Maynor to VCU from his home in North Carolina, the heart of ACC country?

Capel pointed out three factors: First, Maynor was skinny. "I learned that's a bad reason not to take someone, because they're going to physically develop," Smart recounts. Second, Maynor couldn't shoot. "Well, that changed," Smart adds. "He hit three threes as a freshman and then just exploded the rest of his career." Hard work, Smart realized, could turn almost anyone into a shooter. Finally, Capel mentioned, Maynor played for an obscure AAU team. "Recruiting is kind of a herd mentality," Smart says. "Everyone goes to see the same teams. Eric was not on those teams, so he slipped through the cracks a little bit."

Anyway, the whole article is worth a read. I especially enjoyed it because the main character in the story, Briante Weber, reminds me so much of my own son -- great D, outta control on O.

-Jason "the article is Insider, so you may not be able to read the whole thing... sorry" Evans

Lunchab1es
01-25-2013, 05:50 PM
So we have Coach Capel to blame for getting Maynor-ed in the tourney...;)

Cool article. I wonder how long the talented duo of Smart and Stevens will remain at VCU and Butler before moving on (if ever).

SupaDave
01-26-2013, 09:40 AM
VCU as a school has also grown by leaps and bounds.