PDA

View Full Version : Perspective

geraldsneighbor
01-24-2013, 03:22 PM
Mods, if you would like to move this feel free. I didn't know where it would fit.

While last night certainly was rock bottom for our team, let's remember its January 24th. At this time in conference play in 2010, we were blown out by a mediocre NC State team at the RBC Center. Two weeks later, the same occurred against Georgetown. That 2010 team lost 5 road games, 4 of which were in conference. Additionally, that team was about as healthy as one could hope throughout the season.

While no two teams are completely alike, let's just keep in mind that we are 16-2 and likely will still control our own destiny to capture the ACC regular season crown. Furthermore, this team has either a month or so to get Kelly back, or another month to adapt to life without him. Again, last night was ugly but that doesn't mean the season is over. I'll ride with this squad forever.

Miami deserves plenty of credit for how they played. Conversely, Curry, Cook, and Thornton going 1-29 is so off the charts out of character I'm not even sure what to make of it.

Saturday is a new day. Let's get behind this team and make Maryland's day absolutely miserable.

Dev11
01-24-2013, 04:35 PM
make Maryland's day absolutely miserable.

Spear. The. Turtle.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-24-2013, 04:45 PM
I completely agree. The only positive to take from last night was that if you are going to get trounced, do it in January.

Go Duke!

Wander
01-24-2013, 05:21 PM
Agree with the spirit, but I don't think we control our own destiny at the moment for the ACC regular season. We have two losses in the ACC and Miami has zero, so even if we beat them in Durham, they're still ahead of us if neither teams takes another loss (or, more likely, both teams take an equal number of additional losses).

Also worth noting that not only are we 16-2, but kenpom says we've played the single toughest schedule of all 300-whatever Division 1 teams.

Durham Thunder
01-24-2013, 05:21 PM
I think it's simply tough to admit much positivity immediately after something as horrendous as last night.

Everything said about the '10 championship team is relevant. From a historical perspective, I'm worried about us turning into last years team, which started 3-1 against top teams, but flamed out at the end.

mr. synellinden
01-24-2013, 06:48 PM
I think it's simply tough to admit much positivity immediately after something as horrendous as last night.

Everything said about the '10 championship team is relevant. From a historical perspective, I'm worried about us turning into last years team, which started 3-1 against top teams, but flamed out at the end.

There is one common thread between this year and last year: no Ryan Kelly. We will have a very slim chance to make a tournament run without him. With him, we have as good a chance as anyone.

Devildog
01-24-2013, 07:14 PM
There is one common thread between this year and last year: no Ryan Kelly. We will have a very slim chance to make a tournament run without him. With him, we have as good a chance as anyone.

The sky is not falling. Next play. Plenty of time for K to put things together and plenty of video tape to motivate and get the player's attention.

BoiseDevil
01-24-2013, 07:43 PM
If Murphy and Jefferson put up those stat lines in a victory, this board would be electric. They did it against Miami's regulars and were very efficient. I think that bodes well for their confidence if they can continue to be productive in ACC road games.

Even with Kelly back, one of those two will need to step up in an important NCAA game that doesn't follow "the script" (foul trouble, injury, off-game, etc).

The upside to both Murph and Amile is if their understanding of the defense continues to improve, their offensive skills make them more dynamic subs. It would be nice to reach break-even versus our opponents bench, defensively AND offensively.