PDA

View Full Version : Latest Nike-ized Duke uniform

Mike Corey
01-22-2013, 02:48 PM

This will be worn once this season. Several other schools are participating in this latest one-and-done jersey stuff.

AncientPsychicT
01-22-2013, 02:51 PM
At least it's not the looks-like-Carolina-blue-on-the-shorts uniform of last year. Ugh, I hated those things.

BigWayne
01-22-2013, 03:16 PM
Looks like a practice jersey that should have been used in the pre-season.

Dev11
01-22-2013, 03:20 PM
Let's all at least agree that it's better to have a uniform that is Duke blue than a uniform that is awful gray.

That said, will each jersey say "Blue Devils" where the player name should be? I hate that.

1 24 90
01-22-2013, 03:23 PM
Let's all at least agree that it's better to have a uniform that is Duke blue than a uniform that is awful gray.

That said, will each jersey say "Blue Devils" where the player name should be? I hate that.

I believe it will - Gonzaga wore theirs on Saturday (GREAT game) and it said Bulldogs on the back of each jersey.

Lord Ash
01-22-2013, 03:24 PM
Wow. I rarely complain about jerseys, but holy cow that is UGLY. That's a warmup jersey. That's a practice jersey. That is NOT a jersey for a Duke basketball player to wear in a game representing Duke University.

Just terrible. I want to puke over that. Ugh.

mkirsh
01-22-2013, 03:26 PM
http://www.nikeinc.com/news/twelve-teams-set-to-challenge-home-court-advantage-in-new-nike-hyper-elite-road-uniforms#/inline/16819

Looks like we will be wearing them 2/16 at Maryland (not coincidentally an Under Armour school)

allenmurray
01-22-2013, 04:10 PM
Wow. I rarely complain about jerseys, but holy cow that is UGLY. That's a warmup jersey. That's a practice jersey. That is NOT a jersey for a Duke basketball player to wear in a game representing Duke University.

You give a school enough money and you get to dictate what they wear. Next Nike will ask the players to play in three piece suits and Easter hats

langdonfan
01-22-2013, 04:12 PM

Nike is going to sell these, right? Why would anyone want to buy that instead of a replica of a practice jersey?

langdonfan
01-22-2013, 04:16 PM
You give a school enough money and you get to dictate what they wear. Next Nike will ask the players to play in three piece suits and Easter hats

How many combinations of uniforms will the Oregon football team have then?

DukeGirl4ever
01-22-2013, 04:23 PM
I gotta say, I like them better than the grey uniforms from last year. However, I absolutely LOVED the warm-ups that they wore last year for that game, so much so that I made my husband shell out $150 for the warm-up jacket for my birthday! :p

I am assuming they will be coming out with a warm-up outfit as well??? I have yet to look at the link.

EDIT: Just saw that they will also include a warm-up hoodie:

The men’s teams will also wear the Nike Hyper Elite Tourney Warm-Up Hoody, which offers functional tailoring for optimal mobility and performance fleece to help keep you warm and comfortable on your way to and from the game.

The Nike Hyper Elite Road Jersey ($120), Nike Hyper Elite Road Short ($80) and Nike Hyper Elite Warm-Up Hoody ($75) will be available at Nike.com

dukeofcalabash
01-22-2013, 04:23 PM

Ditto all of the above for me.

hurleyfor3
01-22-2013, 04:35 PM
How many combinations of uniforms will the Oregon football team have then?

This gives me an idea for basketball... googling the ncaa rulebook...

Nope, no rule (yet) requiring the same uniform to be worn for the entire game. It wouldn't be too hard to change jerseys at every teevee timeout. Shorts would be a little harder; maybe you can put up a curtain or something.

I will now pre-emptively sue Phil Knight for the rights to this idea.

IBleedBlue
01-22-2013, 04:39 PM
We need some real snazzy uniforms like those of Oregon football team. Those are real modern & contemporary design...ultra cool designs....

TruBlu
01-22-2013, 04:48 PM
Does anyone remember the N. C. State red unitards from years (decades) ago? Now that was ugly!

If someone can find a link to those things, it might help take our minds off of these new Duke parasactice* jerseys.

*Spell-Check notified me of this typo, but I thought it was too appropriate to correct.

oldnavy
01-22-2013, 05:39 PM
Well, they are an improvement from last years one and done uni's. That's about all I can say.

mkline09
01-22-2013, 06:55 PM

This will be worn once this season. Several other schools are participating in this latest one-and-done jersey stuff.

Just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

loran16
01-22-2013, 07:08 PM
Gonzaga wore theirs vs Butler. Ugly. Can't we switch companies please?

Ben1029
01-22-2013, 07:22 PM
Does anyone remember the N. C. State red unitards from years (decades) ago? Now that was ugly!

If someone can find a link to those things, it might help take our minds off of these new Duke parasactice* jerseys.

You mean these?

davekay1971
01-22-2013, 07:48 PM
Ever since Kyle Singler left Oregon to come to Duke, we have had a rash of foot injuries. Phil Knight has it in for Duke.

Look for an outbreak of contact dermatitis to strike Duke after we wear those hideous abominations.

Lunchab1es
01-22-2013, 08:36 PM
Maybe it's due to years of conditioning, but I instinctively like most any Duke jerseys done in the correct shade of blue. This isn't my favorite Duke Basketball jersey...not by a long shot... but I can't bring myself to hate it.

mdj
01-22-2013, 08:49 PM
I gotta say, I like them better than the grey uniforms from last year. However, I absolutely LOVED the warm-ups that they wore last year for that game, so much so that I made my husband shell out $150 for the warm-up jacket for my birthday! :p

I am assuming they will be coming out with a warm-up outfit as well??? I have yet to look at the link.

EDIT: Just saw that they will also include a warm-up hoodie:

That's an AWSOME jacket never saw it for sell else I mighta been out $150

mdj
01-22-2013, 08:53 PM
You mean these?

Those are infinitely better than this years one and done. Then again I'm not known for my sense of style.

NashvilleDevil
01-22-2013, 09:11 PM
Can't they make throwback jerseys so we can once again see the classic Duke jerseys we all remember.

mkirsh
01-22-2013, 09:13 PM
Gonzaga wore theirs vs Butler. Ugly. Goddamn it Nike. Can't we switch companies please?

Not a ton of choice out there - basically 3 apparel companies who are all doing the same thing.

I kind of like UMd's Under Armour unis, but they are not exactly the traditional style we have come to expect for Duke

Adidas uniforms can be pretty gross as well, if you recall the horrendous florescent uniforms their schools wore in the tourney last year

Plus they also took the classic Michigan unis and turned it into this with the blurry side panel thing on the shorts (which is basically the same uniform as NC State and a dozen other Adidas schools)

To be fair Adidas has managed not to mess up UCLA or Indiana (yet), but this seems to be an industry trend and not a Nike only trend.

Newton_14
01-22-2013, 09:51 PM
Those are infinitely better than this years one and done. Then again I'm not known for my sense of style.

Actually, if you see them when the player is not wearing the red undershirt, they are miles worse than this years one and dones.

Can't they make throwback jerseys so we can once again see the classic Duke jerseys we all remember.

Now this I can get onboard with! I would love to see throwback jerseys from the early 90's with the darker blue. Both home and away uni's were very nice in my view. I think we last wore them in the 2004 season, but not totally sure. Anybody know when we ditched the dark blue road uni's for the color of blue we wear today?

gotoguy
01-22-2013, 10:12 PM
Used to be students in the west (main) bleachers were televison whores. Now the teams are uniform whores.

throatybeard
01-22-2013, 11:34 PM
These aren't that ugly, but they are asinine in the following way.

The biggest problem with the Nike trend towards more and more black in Duke's uniforms, set in motion at Duke in the 1997 season, is that dark blue and black do not contrast with each other enough to make the jersey legible. The purpose of putting a number and a name on the clothing is so people know who the players are (and so the refs can do that shorthand with the numbers and the scorer's table). And the name is small, so the number helps A LOT. Only hardcore fans know all 13 or so guys on their own team, much less who the sixth man is off someone else's bench. The casual fans, the people whose eyeballs you're trying to get to the TV set, these people need a name and a jersey number to identify to even pick up the two starts on some random team.

And it's worse in football, because there are so many more guys. I'd be surprised if anyone on the board other than Sumner and maybe Bob Green could name the whole football roster off the top of their head. On TV, I could hardly tell who the heck Ray Lewis is without that 52, about three seconds after the snap. We've had some black number/white name jerseys. Not much better than the black number/black name jerseys.

Jersey numbers are an evolutionary adaptation to increase viewer enjoyment of the sport. It's stupid to throw that advance away because somebody in a marketing department in Oregon concluded that black somehow looks cool with dark blue.

(Full disclosure. I wore a black turtle with dark blue jeans today, but no one pays to see what I do except my students, who are within feet of me, not 3/4 of the way across a basketball arena. I doubt I looked cool, but one of my female friends told me I looked nice, so it was a good day).

I've heard it told that the NYY invented the jersey number, but I have no idea if it's true. It doesn't have a bit of Kennedy's Hat odor about it, but heck, for all I know, it's true.

I've probably made this same rant on this site about every other year since 1997. I need to get a life.

superdave
01-22-2013, 11:42 PM
I think recruits get into this type of stuff, so it's fine by me.

I can remember a lot of the Duke players tweeting about those horrendous Maryland football uniforms a couple of years ago. I thought I did not like them, but if teenagers do, then maybe it's worth experimenting once a year.

throatybeard
01-22-2013, 11:43 PM
Used to be students in the west (main) bleachers were televison whores. Now the teams are uniform whores.

Indeed. I included it in the Handy Pocket Reference, the original version of which I wrote during a Thanksgiving 2005 tipple; that was JJ's and Shelden's senior year. To wit:

5C) I just saw this year’s new unis, and man, we really are Nike’s 75 cent whore, aren’t we?

But really, this thread is more along the lines of

5A) Our uniforms are/are not ugly.

Also, there's good news. We haven't heard the following absurd argument in a few years:

5B) Our [color] uniforms cause X result because the players get more/less confident in them.

Still, in a general sense, plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

throatybeard
01-22-2013, 11:49 PM

You know what I just realized? This is eerily similar to the 2000 uniforms UNC wore with the interlocking NC. Which their fans hated because they had a lousy regular season in which they lost to Duke twice and barely made the NCAAT. And of course, you stopped hearing those complaints after we were 1 in the S-curve and lost in the S16, and Guthridge took UNC to the FF.

This post hoc ergo propter hoc reasoning is a hell of a drug...

Mike Corey
01-23-2013, 09:12 AM
You know what I just realized? This is eerily similar to the 2000 uniforms UNC wore with the interlocking NC.

Matches
01-23-2013, 10:01 AM
I don't mind the occasional variant uniform. This year's look okay. Last year's were terrible-looking on television, though - too difficult to read.

Unitards were awesome, in a completely unintentional kind of way.

Arctic Orange
01-23-2013, 01:47 PM
After the Gtown grey uniforms that Nike made for us last year, I'm not to upset that Cuse was left off the list for this one

Durham Thunder
01-24-2013, 09:59 AM
Nike is really lazy. Seriously, Nike unveils magical uniforms for Oregon every single week, but they produce these lame uniforms for the NIKE HYPER-ELITE road uniforms?????

Nothing elite about these rags, nor the ones worn by Gonzaga.

greybeard
01-24-2013, 12:17 PM
My view, get schools out of the business of marketing product, selling product, for athletic apparel companies, stop permitting coaches to "work" for apparel companies or receive stipends from them in the form of hundreds of thousands and in some cases millions, or provide players a meaningful portion of the take and the ability to strike their own deals. Limit each team to two uniforms, a home and away uniform, a few sets of practice uniforms, and five pairs of shoes a season. The "show" needs to be dressed down; the current system corrupts the game, takes it away from what it is at it's core. We are all sullied by it. Really, even grown people wearing costly school Jerseys, billions being spent on all kids of product worn like billboards that declare some soundless chant of what, loyality, school affinity, team association? In the good old days, cheering and reveling, feeling the elation and pain, and wattching performance, were the stuff of sport. Returning to that era is gossimar. But, spending billions on nonsense made for pennies by exploited workers abroad is? You can do the math. Or not. Just my view against the tide of commercialization that drives the bus.

JNort
01-24-2013, 01:20 PM
I know i'm in it here by a long shot but I love when Nike does this. It's fun to see them throw a wrinkle into the uniforms we would have otherwise seen all year. I have yet to see a Duke Nike uniform that I haven't liked. Only thing that was bad was how hard it was to read the names and numbers on the grey ones.

- Would love to see throwbacks like someone mentioned though. Short shorts and all

dpslaw
01-24-2013, 07:26 PM
If the players like them, they don't bother me. But the kids still need to get off of my lawn!

DukeGirl4ever
02-11-2013, 11:01 AM
Can anyone confirm? Is this thew new Hoodie that is supposed to debut with the Nike outfits on the 16th?
I still like the ones from last year better, but this one is half the price.

http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/?l=shop,pdp,ctr-inline/cid-1/pid-649035/pgid-750154

DukeGirl4ever
02-11-2013, 11:31 AM
Can anyone confirm? Is this thew new Hoodie that is supposed to debut with the Nike outfits on the 16th?
I still like the ones from last year better, but this one is half the price.

http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/?l=shop,pdp,ctr-inline/cid-1/pid-649035/pgid-750154

Why do I always hit SUBMIT before checking for grammar?:confused:
Forgive me.

Any thoughts on this warm-up/hoodie? Will they be wearing this for the game as well?

Ichabod Drain
02-11-2013, 12:04 PM
Why do I always hit SUBMIT before checking for grammar?:confused:
Forgive me.

Any thoughts on this warm-up/hoodie? Will they be wearing this for the game as well?

I actually like that hoodie a lot. Might buy one. The stars and years of NC's on last years were really original and cool but I like the style of this years more. If that really is this years.

blazindw
02-11-2013, 12:04 PM
That is the hoodie.

DonnyDevil
02-11-2013, 03:25 PM
The Nike road hyper elite jersey has not a been a good luck charm for the team wearing them this season so far. Of the 6 mens schools to wear them already (Gonzaga, Mich St, Ohio St, USC, Nova, UNC), only USC won when they played at UCLA I believe.

Georgetown, Kentuck, Texas, and Duke are the 4 remaining mens teams that are scheduled to wear them.

Make of it what you will, but I thought it was interresting.

#GTHC

DukieInBrasil
02-11-2013, 04:11 PM
Stupid gimmick. Last year's were way worse as they didn't even include Duke's colors in the design. Either way, i wish Duke would just refuse to participate in this whoring of tradition for a few bucks. What? Duke couldn't find a few boosters to donate some cash?

Dev11
02-11-2013, 04:22 PM
The Nike road hyper elite jersey has not a been a good luck charm for the team wearing them this season so far. Of the 6 mens schools to wear them already (Gonzaga, Mich St, Ohio St, USC, Nova, UNC), only USC won when they played at UCLA I believe.

Georgetown, Kentuck, Texas, and Duke are the 4 remaining mens teams that are scheduled to wear them.

Make of it what you will, but I thought it was interresting.

#GTHC

Opponents for those games:

Gonzaga lost to Butler.
Michigan State lost to Indiana.
Ohio State lose to Michigan.
Villanova lost to Notre Dame.
North Carolina lost to Miami.

Perhaps Nike could have chosen some less aggressive opponents.

-jk
02-11-2013, 05:23 PM
Opponents for those games:

Gonzaga lost to Butler.
Michigan State lost to Indiana.
Ohio State lose to Michigan.
Villanova lost to Notre Dame.
North Carolina lost to Miami.

Perhaps Nike could have chosen some less aggressive opponents.

I wonder if sales drop if you lose the only game you play in them.

-jk

dukelilsis
02-11-2013, 06:49 PM
They would be fine for a practice jersey or for street ball but I don't like them for our tradition rich team to wear in an actual game. That said, eh, it's one game.
Now, I could totally get on board for some throw back uniforms. I always thought Mark Alarie looked hot in his little short shorts. Yep, that was a good time to have a middle school crush on college basketball players. :o